Marquee Primer HeroClix A to Z – Fantastic Forces Marquee Primer: Part 3 – Uniques & Super Rares [Archive] - HeroClix Realms

PDA

View Full Version : Marquee Primer HeroClix A to Z – Fantastic Forces Marquee Primer: Part 3 – Uniques & Super Rares

AZS
06/24/2005, 10:52
Another set and another Pre-Release means another “Marquee Primer” review!

This review is posted in 4 parts:
Part 1 – Commons
Part 2 – Uncommons & Rares
Part 3 – Uniques & Super Rares
Part 4 – Cards & Bystanders

This review is for the figures we all hope to pull, the Uniques and Super Rares.

Pull any of these, and you're already ahead of the curve. Pull a specific few, and you've got one of the ingredients for a very strong team.

Which are which?
click on replies below to read the review.

AZS
06/24/2005, 10:52
This portion of the Marquee Primer will look at the “chase” figures and rate them based on how they may work with the rest of the set in a sealed tournament.

Of course just pulling any of these means you’re already pretty lucky, but if you can actually play them, well that’d be pretty cool too.

Standard Intro:
This review and rating system is for a 300 point, 3 booster Sealed event only. This doesn’t take into account how these may play in constructed and open format tournaments (where some might be better or worse.)

This review uses a star (*) rating system.

* Steer clear of this figure.
** Not so good. Should be considered with caution.
*** Fair. Based on how you need to fill out a team or have Wildcard options.
**** Good. Definitely consider this figure.
***** Great! Should be a top choice for your team.

There will be very few one or five star ratings here. So please realize that even though your favorite character might not get five stars like you think it should, I’m just trying to be fair.

Everything written here is in the most general form possible.
Since the specific combination of figures drawn in a sealed booster tournament work together to determine which are more playable than others.

Lastly, this review is just my opinion. And these are a lot of work to write, so I ask you very kindly, please don’t get angry at me for my ratings. I give reasonable explanations for each choice. If you disagree (and you are welcome to do so), please try to do the same.

Part 3 – Uniques & Super Rares

Uniques
Unlike some previous sets, the Uniques in this set are not the uber-powerful pieces we’ve come to expect. Many of them are great theme pieces or just great fun for long time comic fans. But many of them also aren’t very good or useful in a sealed game format.

Volcana
74 points.
She’s not an awesome figure, but she’s not bad in a sealed game either. RCE with a moderate AV is good, and she can mix it up in close combat with Poison. However, she also doesn’t move very fast and is only 6 clicks deep, so she might be somewhat easy pickin’s if you don’t have a flyer or transporter to help her out.
(You are likely to get a flyer or transporter, but will probably have to use it for your primary attacker, not Volcana.)
U - **

Mad Thinker
53 points.
Another figure that is not generally impressive, but could be useful in this format. Thinker has the always useful Probability Control (the only figure other than Scarlet Witch to start with it in this set), he also has Mind Control with a good 8 range and 9 AV.
Willpower will help him get around and into position.
If your team needs some help with their stats, turn off the Thinker’s Willpower and push him once to get to Perplex. Be careful though, he’s only 5 clicks deep without defense of any kind.
U - ***

Arnim Zola
82 – Hydra
Front loaded Perplex may be very helpful, as may his Hydra Team Ability. However, besides that, Zola may be best reserved for theme teams. His limited usefulness in this format is countered by his high cost. Between his short range, mediocre AV, and basic 2 damage, he really has almost no offensive usefulness. And with *so* many other figures around or under his cost that can do so much more for your team, he really falls by the wayside.
Zola may be long lived and alternate between Perplex and PC, but unless your team needs a lot of help, he’s best left on the sidelines.
U - *

Baron Mordo
101 points
Sort of a Dr. Strange-lite, Mordo brings a few things to the table that the good doctor does not. Namely Perplex to start, so he can boost his already good stats or help out his team. Psychic Blast will be helpful in this set with all the big bruisers, and like Strange, Mordo has a variety of powers down his dial to help keep him useful.
Good enough to (mostly) front a team, and cheap enough to allow you to fill that team out with other attackers and utility figures, Mordo is one of the better Uniques for this format.
U - ****

Baron Blood
95 – Hydra
Like Vulture, Blood is good for his flying Charge with BCF. Unlike Vulture, Blood is nearly a hundred points! Despite his high cost, Baron Blood can be good in a sealed tournament thanks to Impervious up front, and Steal Energy starting on his third click that could help him stay towards the top of his dial.
Even so, he will be difficult to pull off for his cost, but could help justify it if you have Rangers that can take advantage of his Hydra TA. Even to the point of having Blood carry around a shooter.
U - ***

Nimrod
264 points
It seems every set needs to have one of these nowadays; a huge, super-high cost mega-beatstick. Nimrod’s high cost would seem to come from a whopping 9 clicks of Outwit. Besides that, he does justify his cost somewhat with some killer stats and powers.
The real question though is how playable will he be in this format?
At 264 points, there’s a possibility (albeit slim) that you’ll pull a cheap enough figure to play alongside him. Even if you don’t, Nimrod can hold his own to an extent.
It helps that he starts out with high movement and Running Shot, plus a nice 10 Range. He’ll have more range on the board than any other figure in the set (unless you go up against someone who pulled Songbird for TK). So Nimrod can almost always get the opening shot.
If a shot for 4 isn’t your thing, he can also either split up his damage, or use Pulse Wave. Although PW will probably be better as a follow up attack.
Big Pink here has a fairly solid defense and 4 clicks of Regen at the end of his dial. So he can take some damage and still keep going.
When you do get to the end of his dial and Regen, don’t just use Regen as a knee-jerk reaction!
Take a look at his dial; when he gets to Regen his damage and attack take an upswing, and he gets Running Shot back! A good option at that point would be to use Running Shot and Nimrod’s 10 range advantage to move away from your opponent. Then once you’re a safe distance, use Regen.
As with any super-high cost figure in a sealed format, small point game, the issue of action allotment comes up. If Nimrod is a one man army, it means he’ll have to either act every other turn, or push to act and give up clicks of life freely to your opponent. This is doubly bad since he only has RS for a single click, so a push will also give up his mobility.
If you are lucky enough to fit another figure on the team with him, that figure can block LOS while Nimrod rests between actions.
Nimrod does have an advantage here over many of the other high cost figures; besides his 10 range, Nimrod is one of the few to start with Running Shot, so he has great mobility for this set.
He is also somewhat self sufficient thanks to Regeneration, so he can heal - something that none of the other 200+ point figures could do in any way in recent sets. And if Nimrod is able to take out more than 36 points worth of the opposition, and keep using Regen to just stay alive, he can win. Remember, you don’t have to wipe out the entire opposing team to win, you just have to win by points, and Nimrod may be able to pull that off if you’re patient enough.
U - ***

Orphan
50 – X-men
X-Statix fans are, well, ecstatic for this figure, the rest of us ... not so much.
However, in this format, Orphan (Mr. Sensitive to his friends) is fairly useful. For only 50 points, Orphan’s high AV and Exploit Weakness will be a great weapon against the big bricks you’re likely to face. Super Senses gives him a tiny bit of defense, but even if he does die a death fitting for an X-Statix member, you’ve still only lost 50 points and it was probably a frustrating effort from your opponent to get those points.
And at the very least, his X-men TA could be useful to your team.
U - ***

Wolverine
71 – X-men
Days of Future Past Wolverine would have been a welcome addition in DC Legacy thanks to his high AV and Charge. Even in Fantastic Forces it’s a great benefit, but you’re not facing the glut of 18+ defenses you need a 12 attack for.
Besides his starting 12, his AV is rock solid for his whole dial. Push him or put him out for the wolves, he can take as well as he can give. Plus he has Regen, so he can heal up his wounds, or use him to take damage from other X-men and Regen it back.
He’s a great candidate if you have PC on your team, for his BCF and Regen rolls.
U - ****

Warlock
73 – X-men
Not a high profile figure, or very sought after, but in the Marquee he could be a real boon.
Obviously his 17 w/ Defend will come in handy, but besides that he’s a flier and has Plasticity. Use him to carry a fighter into close combat, tie up the target, and share his defense. Your opponent won’t know which one to hit first! Steal Energy is at best a stop-gap power, but its there, so use it. And don’t forget that Warlock can be a capable attacker in his own right with a fair AV and 3 damage.
U - ****

Professor Xavier
99 – Ultimate X-men
This one is a really tough call. On constructed teams he’s going to be absolutely devastating. However, in this format, a purely MC/Incap figure’s offensive usefulness is questionable. For a third of your team’s build total, the best he can do is make your opponent hit himself. That will often mean MCing a figure over 100 points, which Prof will take ‘feedback’ damage for, so he can’t do that too often. And the very first time he does, it will put him off his only defense – Mastermind. At which point he’s easy pickin’s.
Triple Incap at 12 range is nothing short of awesome, however using it every other turn to give your opponent a single click of damage will be a slow victory at best.
If you pull some totally kick butt and cheap figure that can actually do damage to pair with the Prof, you might have a chance. But even then, you still have to leave room on the team for a figure that Prof can Mastermind damage off to.
A tough act to pull off in a sealed format.
He’s a killer figure, but much better suited to constructed games.
(Some may wonder about the disparate rating of Prof X vs Karma; The difference of cost is significant in that with Karma, you can fit her and a ~125 or so point bruiser on the team and still have room for one or two more figures. With the Professor weighing in just shy of a hundred points, if you add a bruiser to the team so you have someone to deal real damage, you’re left with very little room to fit on anyone else. In a 300 point game, the different of 40 points for essentially the same power set is significant.)
U - **

Dr. Doom
186 – Doom
Another Running Shot / Pulse Wave figure, which is great. Doom also has gobs of Outwit, with a dash of Perplex mid-dial.
Yeah, we know you don’t think he’s as good as CT Doom, but that’s kind of moot here.
If you can get past your prejudices, Fan Forces Doom isn’t half bad; Running Shot is always helpful, and his loads of Outwit will make those shots sting a little more. He has a deep dial and an interesting mid-dial with Willpower and Perplex. His AV also stays strong for most of his 9 click dial.
Get the right teams to play along with him to use his Wildcard TA and he can be pretty good. However, he’s not a team unto himself, so bad pulls will definitely sink him. As such, he only scores:
U - ***

Spider-man 2099
92 – Spider-man
Definitely a good rendition of the wall-crawler, Spidey 2099 may be tough to play in a sealed format. He’s tricky, but that doesn’t make him bad.
At nearly a third of your team, he’ll be the most useful if you pull other figures to support him, since he’s not really powerful enough to front a team on his own. But with BCF, a good attack, and a solid defense, he can hold his own in battle. Watch for the change-up mid dial where he gets Incap, and remember that he has two ranged targets. Willpower and Outwit at the end are Spider-man staples, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t useful.
His Wildcard team ability can also boost his play value.
U - ***

Super Rares

Norman Osborn (Green Goblin)
99 points
Regular GG is great, this one is even better! His 11 AV is rock solid, and he trades EE on his first click for better damage. The real improvement here is Willpower. Sure he gives up the defense of Toughness, but WP will help him get in that all important first strike. If you do want EE and Toughness, turn off Willpower and push to his second click, which is pretty much the same as the Exp’s first. Alternating WP and Toughness is interesting, and he still gets his mid dial Outwit.
Look out for this one on the board too, that Willpower (and thus your opponent’s willingness to push Osborn) can really catch you off guard.
SR - *****

Cain Marko (Juggernaut)
155 points
Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow.
This is a totally kick ### figure along the lines of a 200+ point powerhouse, for only 155 points. He’s 11 clicks deep with a killer AV, high damage bunches of Charge and a defense worthy of the Juggernaut. And he has no Battle Fury!
This one is a no-brainer, and not just a great LE in this set, but one of the very best LE’s all around.
SR - *****

Namor (Sub-Mariner)
122 points
Much like the Exp but with better movement and no team ability. He also loses the damage bump at click #7, but it’s a fair trade to be able to Charge from that much farther away. Like the other Namors, he’s well worth the points, moreso here since he’s 8 points cheaper.
SR - ****

Johnny Storm (Human Torch)
109 – FF
Not too much different from his REV, LE Johnny is still pretty good in his own right. Long range and Running Shot are welcome in any form. He may not kick butt in the aftermarket, but for the purposes of this tournament he’s as good as anything else available.
SR - ***

Sue Storm (Invisible Woman)
49 - FF
While Johnny won’t be in much demand on the secondary market, Sue will probably be burning up the charts. Inversely, for the purposes of this tournament, she doesn’t gain much use as an LE. She’s still good for Barrier, and maybe a little better as a tie up piece with her extremely high defense. She can also make a few attacks if the opportunity arises.
SR - ***

Ben Grimm (The Thing)
123 - FF
Better than his abysmal Clobberin’ Time LE, but still nothing special, Grimm is still a standard fare brick. For 123 points you may pull something else that’s better, but if you don’t, he’ll suit you fine. Really nothing more to say.
SR - ***

Reed Richards (Mr. Fantastic)
72 – FF
I wasn’t fond of Reed at 78 points, I like him less in this version.
72 points for a Perplexer with limited other usefulness is about 40 points more than he’s worth in this format.
SR - *

Kurt Wagner (Nightcrawler)
If you’ve been playing the game for a while, this dial should look somewhat familiar. I really don’t care about the minor discrepancy between the points for this one and his CT version, so if you want to argue about that, please take it to another thread.
For this game, this LE will be as useful as Kurt was in CT. Starting HyperSonic, high defense, good AV, what’s not to like?
Well, ok, since I asked, I’m still not keen on 70+ points for only 2 clicks of damage dealing ability. With the amount of Impervious and Invulnerability in this set, a 2 may not cut it. If you have some perplex at your disposal, he’s golden, otherwise he might be a tight fit to build the rest of your team around.
Yeah, this rating is pretty much inviting people to complain, but then again I could say the sky is blue and people would argue, so I just gotta go with my gut, and my gut says that his low Damage hold him back in a set without a lot of Perplex.
That, and I really want a pizza.
SR - ***

tidge
06/24/2005, 14:42
This portion of the Marquee Primer will look at the “chase” figures and rate them based on how they may work with the rest of the set in a sealed tournament.

Of course just pulling any of these means you’re already pretty lucky, but if you can actually play them, well that’d be pretty cool too.

Which is fine by me. I prefer when the pull of a Unique was enough satisfaction. It was very disappointing in sealed Critical Mass/Ultimates/Legacy to see uber-uniques.

lukebuchanan
06/24/2005, 15:00
Good job here.

I love how it's mentioned that "if you want to get to Norman's energy explosion just turn-off willpower". :confused: It's solid strategy, and one of those loopholes of the game, but I just chuckle everytime I try to "comic-book" it.

"Hello Wallcrawler, wait until I stop using my tenacious mental attitude and it grants me the ability to hit my foes and everyone adjacent! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Just don't work.....

Nimrod should be 4 stars.......just hit their brick first and it's over.

Luke B.

Ultimate2099
06/24/2005, 15:03
Thanks for the reviews, Azs. Solid as ever. I'm printing them off for the ride to Omaha tomorrow, so my brother and brother-in-law can be ready for the tournament.

UltraSuperGuy
06/24/2005, 15:05
Anyone who pulls Sue Storm plus the FF card and a few other FF members or wildcards will basically dominate the pre-release... And you know some lucky guy will do just that!!!

Good Advice
06/24/2005, 15:16
Its just my play style, but I disagree on Zola and Reed Richards. I think starting perplex is a huge assest and in a sealed format any figure that has it is at least worth some consideration.

thugit
06/24/2005, 15:23
Anyone who pulls Sue Storm plus the FF card and a few other FF members or wildcards will basically dominate the pre-release... And you know some lucky guy will do just that!!!

That's what I'm hoping for....

Unfortunately, I'm guessing that I used all my good luck in the Legacy pre-release. :ermm:

lukebuchanan
06/24/2005, 15:33
That's what I'm hoping for....

Unfortunately, I'm guessing that I used all my good luck in the Legacy pre-release. :ermm:

No $#%^.....

didn't you pull Oracle with ICWO and Red Robin w/ Stunning Blow.

Yikes!

I just want to pull my Hydra Uniques and a Black Knight. That guy looks so cool!

Luke B.

thugit
06/24/2005, 15:38
No $#%^.....

Yikes!

I just want to pull my Hydra Uniques and a Black Knight. That guy looks so cool!

Luke B.

You forgot Bruce Wayne and Jade.....

Phantom
06/24/2005, 15:39
I’m absolutely shocked that Nimrod scores as high as he does. His status as a Grounded fig is a huge liability for him, since if he’s even based by a Pog, he can’t make use of his Pulse Wave anymore. And his mid-dial damage is a measly 2.

thedon99
06/24/2005, 15:45
No $#%^.....

Yikes!

Luke B.

Did you really pull that Thugit? That's ####ing amazing. I would assume you won, correct?

thugit
06/24/2005, 15:54
Did you really pull that Thugit? That's ####ing amazing. I would assume you won, correct?

Nope, I dropped out to obtain more purple rings.....

1st 3 boosters: Red Robin, Stunning Blow, Bruce Wayne, Deep Shadows, Steel, Jade.

I'm playing for someone else tomorrow just so they can obtain more figures, but I worked out a deal to get the FF nons in return--so no matter what, I'm leaving happy!

Captain K.
06/24/2005, 15:58
I think a lot of people are going to underestimate Doom. He's pushable - something the CT Doom is not. This is the right kind of format for him to shine.

Does anyone know if Cain Marko or Reed Richards can be pulled as super-rares? In the past the Marquee prizes were harder to get, but in a set with only 8 LEs anyway...

Herc
06/24/2005, 16:01
Great stuff Az. Nicely done reviews as always.

This is going to be funny sealed tournament. I think its going to be the transporters that decide the games, not so much if you can pull the better pieces and definitely not if you get a great unique (cause IMHO there aren't any that will be game breaking uniques for sealed). The mobilty they offer is hard to ignore especially with PC.

thugit
06/24/2005, 16:04
This is the first set I can remember that has much better nons than U's.

Outside of Doom, Wolvie or the Prof, I don't want ANY of the U's--in this tourney or otherwise....

dernjg
06/24/2005, 16:06
While we're on the topic of lucky card and figure combos, consider this one:\

Doom + Power Dampening + Nova Blast.

There's not a lot that can counter it, if it hits.

UltraSuperGuy
06/24/2005, 16:21
Somebody somewhere is going to get Nimrod with Nova Blast. After the Nova blast nurfs most of a team, it will just be clean up for Nimrod.

tyroclix
06/24/2005, 16:31
Continuing the tradition of interesting reviews...

I agree on 99%. I think the Mad Thinker could get another star. I've found PC to be a huge, huge advantage in Sealed games. And willpower makes him able to move anywhere you need him, or bat clean-up. For his price, I like him.

LE Green Goblin sounds pretty interesting. If you are facing a Mystics T-bolt with him its a good idea to push when on his Toughness clicks. Take a retaliation click and get Willpower to prevent you from taking any push damage.

And I'm interested in seeing Cain in action - or any Juggernaut for that matter. Cain will certainly do better since he can be carried and he's going to be Lockjaw's best pal if you get them both. But without any transportation Cain may have some trouble getting across the board since he ties up over half you team's points.

Is it Saturday, yet?!?!?!?!

ViperWingLeade
06/24/2005, 17:06
Well i hope i don't blow all my luck the weened before origins.

Last Sealed I played in was a Hypertime Sealed event.

I managed to kill the kids flash and he got so mad he threw it across the room.

Then the Judge told him he had to go pick it up.

I guess I did technically play in an xplosion Marquee, but the only people to show up were myself, and my fiancee, so that was that.

Phantom
06/24/2005, 17:44
Somebody somewhere is going to get Nimrod with Nova Blast. After the Nova blast nurfs most of a team, it will just be clean up for Nimrod.
Only if they get to use it. Nimrod’s biggest weaknesses are his price tag and his status as a grounded fig. Nova Blast won’t do as much for him if he gets tied up by a 30-point Lockjaw long enough to put him past his starting click. From there, he's going to have trouble even getting them to sit still in his 5-square Nova Blast range.

thugit
06/24/2005, 18:58
I don't think Nova Blast is going to effect Nimrod or any other figure that much this weekend.

Playing a one figure army is hard enough--without giving your own figure 2 clicks of damage. (3 on a push.)

For it to "cripple a team" as someone is sure to say it will, the player playing against Nimrod would have to be a complete idiot to let all of their figures get that clumped together against such an obvious combo--especially in a sealed tourney.

It just isn't going to happen.

Maniac_nmt
06/24/2005, 20:06
While we're on the topic of lucky card and figure combos, consider this one:\

Doom + Power Dampening + Nova Blast.

There's not a lot that can counter it, if it hits.

Power Dampening plus any of the Juggernaut's could be brutal. Especially Cain Marko. With 10-11 clicks, plus Impervious, plus steady defence....ouch. He'll be brutally hard to take out when he's only taking 1 click at a time, and keeps his higher defence longer.

The Vet with a wildcard keeping him healed could last almost all game long.

Maniac_nmt
06/24/2005, 20:12
For instance, no one would use them that way, but V Iron Fist or U Wolverine could keep a V Juggy healed easily with power dampening, plus has regen to keep themselves arround to heal, and help with crowd control.

Good Advice
06/24/2005, 20:42
Can you perplex over 3 damage with powerdampening? And even if not, it can still combo with experts and SS, right?

Phantom
06/24/2005, 21:07
Can you perplex over 3 damage with powerdampening? And even if not, it can still combo with experts and SS, right?
You can use Super-Strength, because that's increasing the damage DEALT, not the damage value. The same applies to Critical Hits. Perplex, RCE, and CCE (plus Enhancement, SHIELD TA, and BCF rolls over 3) all modify or replace the damage VALUE.

qc_mohawks
06/24/2005, 22:06
great reviews.......very useful.

Good Advice
06/24/2005, 22:10
Thanks Phantom, makes sense.

lobo1
06/24/2005, 22:34
For instance, no one would use them that way, but V Iron Fist or U Wolverine could keep a V Juggy healed easily with power dampening, plus has regen to keep themselves arround to heal, and help with crowd control.

man, that would be a great marquee team...

V iron fist 71
U wolverine 71
V juggernaut 154

i thought a good team would be...

U wolverine 71
V hawkeye 84
V dr. strange 110
R scarlet witch 35

i think yours is better, however dr. strange is gonna mess up alot of peoples marquees. :)

BTW what about spider-man 2099, he's not gettin' any love that figure is awesome!!

cheers

Good Advice
06/24/2005, 22:51
Hey Lobo, I sent you a PM before, I think its probably time sensitive so if you could answer it soon that would be great. Thanks.

Sriad
06/25/2005, 02:07
Is Nimrod a giant figure? He sure looks like he could be, and I haven't seen anything that says he isn't...

T'Chaka
06/25/2005, 02:28
Is Nimrod a giant figure? He sure looks like he could be, and I haven't seen anything that says he isn't...

Nope, just a Unique.

Cram, man, cram! :laugh:

Ghost_Rider
06/25/2005, 11:28
I'd say Mad Thinker should rate at least a four. He provides excellent support with his starting Probability Control, and his long-range Mind Control can really cause some serious problems (especially since you have two chances by being able to reroll if necessary). With his Willpower, he can even push freely to dominate opposing characters on back-to-back turns.

His biggest drawbacks are the lack of damage reducing superpowers and a low defense, but if he does take a hit then he gains Perplex or Outwit to still be quite a bit of a nuisance.

So in the end, either he is going to be a mind controlling menace and a decent support figure, or a lure that the opponent will divert all attention to until eliminated - and you can't get a better bargain for only 53 points.

lobo1
06/25/2005, 11:56
Hey Lobo, I sent you a PM before, I think its probably time sensitive so if you could answer it soon that would be great. Thanks.

don't laugh, but i actually don't know how to recieve pm messages. :( i added you to the buddy list, so next time we're both on at the same time we could go to chat or until i figure out how to use pm. what was it you wanted to ask me?

cheers

greenlantern17
06/25/2005, 18:52
It's definitely coming down to transporters in the sealed tourneys. And if you pull a double-time card as well, it's all over... Just think about it, double-time a rookie lockjaw carrying any of the big hitters in the set (B/C/F would be nice).

Gacy's Clown
06/26/2005, 00:57
I pulled Mad Thinker in our event today and he was a freakin' machine. Definitely good in a Sealed format.
My friend pulled Dr. Doom and while I beat him in the first round (yeah, I had to play my friend), Doom by himself took out the entire other team the next two rounds.....guess he can hold his own even without flying.

Good Advice
06/26/2005, 01:10
At the prerelease in Milford, Juggernaut, especially the E was dominant. The best team in the main event featured E Juggernaut V Scarlet witch. No one could hit his 18 Defense. I only went 1-2 which bummed me out since I thought my constructed team was very tough to beat. In the 2nd flight I pulled a R Songbird and V juggernaut, those 2 and some good luck got me to 3-0. Factor in the fact I got 2 Purples and pulled 2 Uniques, it was a pretty good day even without a chance to play my constructed.

CornsilkSW
06/26/2005, 10:27
i ran a team of E Invisible woman, U Professor X, U Arnim Zola, and E Black knight.

It went 0-2 and one match came down to the last figure.... he had wolverine and i had zola left and he gutted me.
The professor zola combo was very nice, just perplex up X's attack to 12, hydra it up to a 13 and Ult X-men it up to a 14... he could hit anyone. Black knight's charge kept close combat people in check by charging anyone who came close to the prof (whom he carried around) and all the figs could take a hit from his mastermind when he got shot.

The most useful tactic I had was to get a good vantage point on elevated terrain with the professor and MC the mid cost figs, It was tough to only MC one figure but I had to do it to avoid the retaliation. once he took a MC click and ended up of that second click of perplex+incap he got reallly nasty with the potential to dish out 2 damage at 12 range. His willpower keeps an opponent's team locked down.

all in all, i kind of with i had gone with the awesome andy, invis girl, black knight, asp team i pulled and didn't play but i really wanted to play the professor in the tournament. V Andy with serpent society, avengers, and fantastic 4 teams would have been a menace on indoor maps.
ah, well... i still had a fantastic time.
~Silk

feluwelt
06/26/2005, 20:47
wolverine is awsome, and was my MVP in the pre release tournament.
I went 3 and 0 with this team
wolverine
E scarlet witch
E mr fantastic
R iron fist
R ghost rider

Wolverine charged in from 5 range out with mr fantastic perplexing his range to a 9, and his 12 never misses, so scarlet witch was able to probality control his blades roll,
in the first round wolverine hit V black knight for 6 in the second round he hit V ghost rider for 5 , and R iron fist in great for his points he pushes into 3dmg 9att exploit weakness, i used him to base figures like Dr strange and green goblin and they had a hard time with his super senses and pretty deep dial, for 39 points,
Now the transpoters are also likewise awsome, the drive by shooting i did a lot with ghost rider, my att went down to a 7 but with the probality control i was hitting some 8s and 9s while moving out of range, or moving up 10 squares turning for 11 then attacking at range 6 it was like having a built in telekenesis.

so all and all, wolverine is great and scary for people that are playing him, esspecaly when he regens to his starting click
with most of the small derenses in this set 12 attack is huge,
the scarriest piece that I had to come against was sue storm, her 19 defense is very ugly late in a game, but shes easy to escape from

So I beat a team with V dr strange on the mystics team and a team with the rookie with telelkenesis and the V green goblin

Overall it was fun but when i got to the contructed part of the tournament, I stopped rolling well, and I missed by 5 dmg attack to green lantern rolling a 6 when i needed a 7 ohh well that was game

thugit
06/26/2005, 20:51
First game I played yesterday, first attack roll my U Wolverine makes---critical hit, then a 6 for BCF.

Yeah, the new Wolverine is EASILY the best one yet.

feluwelt
06/27/2005, 00:24
Ohh and did anyone notice the E Iron Fist is in a red costume while the R is in a green costme, I was wondering if anyone has seen the V Iron FIst and what color costume he wears?

Fatman&Blobbin
06/27/2005, 13:12
I went 2-1 on my pre-release and barely missed out on going to the finals because I lacked around 200 points more (which I would of gotten if I had a full 300 point team).

My team was:
(E) Black Knight
(U) Warlock
(U) Spiderman 2099
(E) Nightcrawler

Feat Cards:
Thunderbolts
Double Time

The only reason I lost on my last game because the guy had an LE Cain Marko and I messed up. I Charged Hawkeye with Black Knight instead I should of used BK to attack jugs with his exploit weakness for 3 damage then follow up with spiderman for some bcf action.

Fatman&Blobbin
06/27/2005, 13:23
oops my edit time expired heres the rest:

I basically carried the non fliers and grouped them all together to share in the 17 defense of warlock even though spiderman and nightcrawler had 17 plus super senses on their first click. Warlock really helped out when BK got hit with jugs with super damage and still had 17 d with blades and exploit weakness but his av was way too low to hit.

Not to mention I had the Avengers TA as Mystics and the only BFC he had was disbanded.

Unluckily he made alot of his rolls with jugs and 3d objects. My only thing I didn't like was he had like 20 small dice and everytime he missed a roll he switched out. Can you have small die? I thought you had to have them normal size.

My constructed team was:
Ultron - 18 invul def and 13 natural attack + ICWO
Venom - E - perplex leap/climb+ ICWO
Checkmate medic
V Con artist
and Harvey bullock pog that ultron would carry with him making his av at a 15 for those people with high def like flash and gl. I was thinking of having Venom near Ultron to perplex his damage to 4 and to attack anyone who tried to base him.

ciriquen
06/27/2005, 17:45
I would have liked to face a Juggs team, I pulled:

LE Norman Osborn
V Hawkeye
V Scarlet Witch
R Mirage

Doc Doom, even with a power dampening field and a barrier from the Invisible Girl lasted nearly to the end of turn 3... His Scarlet Witch and Invisible Girl did manage to take out Hawkeye (his crit miss on a push out of SWs LOF, while trying to double EE the adjacent ladies sealed his doom) and Mirage, which may have stopped me finishing first (not sure exactly how many points behind I was).

All my opponents announced that they expected to lose after checking the attack and damage values on the dials, combined with PC. And frankly, it's by far the best team I've ever managed to field in a sealed tournament...

Wish I hadn't had to play a constructed team in the afternoon ;)

Had a fun game with some of the others who were knocked out quick though, so the afternoon wasn't a total loss!

Madrox1737
06/27/2005, 21:00
I was actually lucky enough to pull a Cain Marko in the pre-release in MD.

He is an awsome character, and I saw at least two other people pull him as well, so I do not think he is harder to pull then any other super-rare.

gaidin
06/30/2005, 16:48
Watch the Mad Thinker. With not a lot of figs over 100 points he can do a lot of damage.