PDA

View Full Version : Marquee Primer HeroClix A to Z – DC | CD Marquee Primer: Part 4 - Uniques

AZS
02/09/2006, 09:33
Welcome to the Collateral Damage Marquee Primer Review!
Part 4: Uniques

http://www.hcrealms.com/temp/owlman.jpg

This new DC set comes out next week – Feb. 15, so to get ready for the Marquee, and any sealed games you play before then, here’s the regular Marquee Primer.

These reviews are intended for sealed, 300 point games with only this set.

Here’s the review schedule:

Part 1 - Commons (http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1914963#post1914963) (Monday)
Part 2 – Uncommons (http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158737) (Tuesday)
Part 3 – Rares (http:// http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158832) (Wednesday)
Part 4 – Uniques
Part 5 – Cards & Special Objects (Fri)

click on ‘Replies’ below to read the review.

AZS
02/09/2006, 09:33
Welcome to yet another Marquee Primer Review!
We are happily getting another DC set, one that seems very well balanced, generally playable, and fun!
With the ever-evolving nature of the game, Collateral Damage has the “new” distribution akin to Armor Wars.
That means the Vet Rares will be comparable rarity to the Unqiues, which are more common than they used to be.
All in all though, there aren’t any stand out power Uniques in CD like there have been in previous sets. And even the Commons and Uncommons are very playable, so just about anything you pull should make for a pretty decent team.

Standard Intro:
This review and rating system is for a 300 point, 3 booster Sealed event only. Using a (new) Smiley :) rating system.

:confused: – Steer clear of this figure.
:disappoin:disappoin – Not so good. Should be considered with caution.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: – Fair. Based on how you need to fill out a team.
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: – Good. Definitely consider this figure.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: – Great! Should be a top choice for your team.

There will be very few 1 or 5 smiley ratings here, So please realize that even though your favorite character might not have gotten five smileys like you think it should, I’m just trying to be fair.

Everything written here is in the most general form possible.
Since the specific combination of figures pulled will work together to determine which are more playable than others.

Lastly, this review is just my opinion. And these are a lot of work to write, so I ask you very kindly, please don’t get angry at me for my ratings. I give reasonable explanations for each choice. If you disagree (and you are welcome to do so), please try to do the same.

Part 4 – Uniques

Felix Faust
96 – Mystic
A good but not great figure to pull for this tournament. The Mystics TA will be helpful, as will his Perplex, but his average defense without any damage reducers will hurt him. He could play well as a mostly support piece lending TA and Perplex, while also putting up protective Barriers, but that’s not a great roll for a figure that’s 1/3 of your team.
U - :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guardian
47 points.
Not very impressive or interesting for a unique. He looks a lot like many of the commons and uncommons, basic 6 click dial, mediocre AV, defense, and damage. He’s so similar to so many other figures that playing him will be purely dependant on who else you pull. He might be good, or he might be redundant.

Crimson Avenger
53 – JSA
There are several small points that come together to make Crimson Avenger a playable figure in this format. To start, her TA is good to lend to any wildcards, and her attack is pretty good as well. But its really the Psy Blast with fair damage and two targets that makes the figure stand out. She’s also nice for keeping her 9 AV for her whole dial, and getting Regen at the end for the slim chance of a little healing.
A fairly useful combination of powers and abilities for only 53 points.
U - :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Ambush Bug
50 points.
Well, AB does in clix what he does in comics, moves around being a nuisance! Basically he’s nothing more than a mobile Outwit / PC figure. If you don’t want one power, push to get to the next one. He’ll undoubtedly be annoying enough to be a target, so hopefully his Super Senses will protect him. If not, 5 clicks isn’t very deep and he’ll go down pretty easy. Most people who pull him will probably play him, but for his lack of any offensive ability and fragile dial, he only scores an average recommendation.

Dr. Psycho
100 – Calculator
It doesn’t matter what team abilities you pull to go with this guy, he just does not fit in this format. For a full third of your team, he doesn’t have the offense to pull his weight, or the defense to protect himself. Besides that, literally half his dial is worthless thanks to Battle Fury! Would you pay 100 points for a total of 3 useful clicks?
If you would, you deserve to lose.
I’m pretty sure this will be argued, but I stand by my rating.
U - :confused:

Orion
168 – JLA
In order for a figure to be this many points and work in a sealed format, it has to have a few key elements. Good defense, huge offense, and playable for most of the dial. Orion has each of those … somewhat.
Defense starts off good with ES/D, so he’ll be hard to hit from range, but a little Outwit or close combat will remove that advantage. His second click is better with higher AV and Invulnerability, but Charge is harder to use than Running Shot (though it could come in handy if the other team has wildcards and batman allies, which is very possible.)
Orion’s stats fluctuate, with a late dial resurgence, but 4 clicks of Battle Fury and too many clicks with just 2 damage really hamper his overall usefulness. And its just a plain crime that his very best click is also his last.
He’ll be a hard figure to play successfully because he’ll be such a big piece of a team.
Ultimately whether or not he works will depend largely on what other figure you pull to go with him. Just 1 perplexer will boost him tremendously, or a few secondary attackers will help keep him from pushing too much.

Jonah Hex
46 points.
Running Shot and Willpower = good. Running Shot and RCE, no so much.
Typically in comics you’d see Jonah with two six shooters – which should translate to 2 targets. But this sculpt has him holding a sword – so where’s the BCF?
Still, he’s not bad for 46 points, but not great either. Particularly since he’s only 5 unprotected clicks deep.

Eclipso
132 – Mystics
This new Eclipso is a mixed bag in this sealed booster format. The pros are that she has the protection of Stealth and Invulnerability, so if you position her right its unlikely her defense can be outwitted (or possibly even attacked.) Also her Psychic Blast is very good against other figures with defensive powers. Finally, her deep dial (very deep for this set in fact), plus Regeneration will make her particularly difficult to KO. All this combined with her Mystics TA will mean that your opponent will have a heck of a time putting her down.
Her cons don’t number nearly as high, but are significant none-the-less. The starting AV of 9 is woefully inadequate against the many 17’s she’ll likely face, and her AV drops quickly to 8 and steadily down from there. So while she has some fair offensive capability, it’s less than likely to actually hit anything. Additionally, she only does 3 damage, and while that’s good with Psy Blast, she only has BP for 2 clicks to start. So it will take a while for her to wear anyone down as well. Her deep dial is all well and good, but a smart opponent will just ignore her and go for easier targets, leaving her to flounder attempting to hit with her low attack. Just tie her up with a low point throw away figure and you can stall this figure for a good while.
Ultimately Eclipso doesn’t live up to her 132 point cost, and won’t pull her weight in this format.
U - :disappoin:disappoin

Captain Boomerang
78 – Calculator
Boomer is another figure whose playability will depend largely on what other figures you pull to use with his wildcard TA. He starts off well enough with a nice offensive combo of Running Shot with either base 3 damage or double target Energy Explosion. His 9 AV isn’t great, but its not terrible for the points either. Unfortunately only his first click is really any good, since he drops to 8 AV quickly and loses all defense. His final click with HyperSonic Speed is neat, but pretty much a waste as well with only a 7 AV and minimal damage. If you pull a Bat Ally for him to copy, or Superman Ally so he can EE stealth groupings, he could be cool. But anything else and he’s an expensive, mediocre, secondary attacker.
U - :disappoin:disappoin

Owlman
87 – Crime Syndicate
Yet another team ability to add to the pot, but unfortunately one that cannot be copied by Wildcards.
With this TA, Owlman has the unique combination of both Probability Control and Outwit at the same time! He also has solid offense and defense with double target Incap or straight 3 damage, and a nice 17 defense with Toughness.
Unfortunately, unlike his counterpart Batman, he starts with neither Stealth nor Willpower. So he’ll be a bit of a target - to get rid of his Outwit. And because his range is somewhat short at only 6, if he wants to get into the battle he’ll have to move up closer to the danger zone.
Owlman does manage to stay mostly playable for the majority of his dial thanks to smatterings of Willpower here and there and an upswing in Attack Value later in his dial. He does also finally get Stealth at the end of his dial, but the first click overlaps with Exploit Weakness, a power that will require him to be in close combat anyway.
Undoubtedly Owlman will see a lot of play, even if only for the Outwit / PC combo. Just make a point when building your team to have enough figures to spread around extra action tokens to, for use with the CSA Team Ability. (When you use PC, you have to give someone on the team an action token.) If you have points to fill on your team and pull any bystander tokens, they’re perfect for this.

Kalibak
140 points.
The “big gun” in the set, since he’s the only figure with 11 clicks of life, and one of the few with 4 damage and an 11 AV. All in all, he’s not the premier figure in the set, but he’s not bad for his points either. Starting off with good numbers all around, he can make a big opening attack. Hopefully his high defense and Invulnerability will keep him a little safe, and his high AV will be helpful against all the other 17’s in the set. Load him up with an object and move into position for a big attack. If mobility is an issue, push him once to get to Charge, but in doing so you’ll give up his good starting stats.
Kalibak also has a trivial 4 range, but don’t put too much stock in that, he has Battle Fury on and off for over half his dial. This will also mean that he can’t be carried during that time.
If you’re facing off against him, make sure to watch your opponent so they don’t accidentally carry him, or make a ranged attack while he has BF.
This will come into play mostly on his last 4 clicks, where his movement is down to just 5 or 4, so he’s not going anywhere quickly. But he also has BF, so he can’t be carried away to safety either.
At that point on his dial you’re best off just putting him in close combat and letting him swing away. His AV and Damage are up, so he can put on the hurting, but he also has no defensive powers, so he might go down quick. There’s not much you can really do about that though, since he can’t be airlifted out and can barely move, so you might as well stay and fight. If you’re lucky, your opponent will put him on his last click or two where his defense pops back up. If you don’t push him, you might be in a position where your opponent is too damaged to actually hit his ending 17 defense.
U - :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Adam Strange
88 points.
Lots and lots of mobility define this sci-fi hero. He runs and shoots, and occasionally teleports back to Rann.
RS, 10 AV and his great defense are nice, but his 2 damage is dismal. It gets worse on subsequent clicks with RS that can’t be used with RCE.
His best selling point is actually his defense. 17 w/ ES/D is all but unhittable in this set, especially if you can keep Adam away from close combat. He gets a couple very nice clicks of 17 with Defend mid dial, so that should really help his teammates, and Willpower later in the dial will help him better use RS / RCE (run in one turn, push for a standing RCE shot next).
Adam ends up being better for his defense than his offense. Maybe he’ll be good for pinging secondary targets, or as a clean up hitter, but mostly he’ll be good as a flier for your other figures who can also attack in a pinch.
Typically a figure like this would get a lower rating, but the two clicks of Defend mid dial help boost his value a bit.
Some might disagree with his average rating – seeing his potential in constructed formats - but in this sealed event a figure like this for 88 points with mediocre offensive ability is a hard sell.

de4dp00l
02/09/2006, 09:52
I'm sure that you'll get a lot of people disagreeing with your Dr. Psycho opinion. Personally, I couldn't agree more - the piece stinks, especially in a sealed game.
As for Adam Strange, again, I'm sure some people will argue, but in a sealed game, I just don't think he can pull his weight. I think a rating of 3 is generous for him, in a sealed analysis. In constructed, with Armor Piercing he might be playable, but for 88 points, it's unlikely that you won't find better pieces to play in sealed.

robii_chan
02/09/2006, 10:07
another great review... Question, though. Can PB be used with multiple targets? That's something I overlooked, apparently, and if that's true, Dagger has more weight to pull in my Marvel teams. Eagerly looking forward to my Crimson Avenger, and the ability to ping through multiple defenses would only make her that much sweeter.

Sigdr
02/09/2006, 10:13
I'm not disagreeing with your opinion of Dr. Psycho. In sealed, he isn't doing much - but mostly because there isn't anything good to Mastermind damage on to, not necessarily because he's just plain bad. I do think Psycho may be a little better than you give him credit for if he gets to copy the Batman TA and Superman TA, but not much.

lchestnut81
02/09/2006, 10:15
The PB question was on my Judge qualification test, and I can say that yes you can use Psychic Blast with multiple targets. I think Crimson Avenger is one of the better Uniques to pull in the Marquee.

I have to almost agree with Dr. Psycho for the sheer reason that if you are playing a piece or a team where you want to do the mind control thing, you have to build it a certain way to get the desired effect out of it. In a booster format like the Marquee, you are not guaranteed to have all the components of that team randomly. Though I would still say hit or miss with him, but no middle ground.

Otherwise, Azs, it looks like you are more for the REV's playing a major role in this Marquee...and I most certainly agree.

Mr. Pilkington
02/09/2006, 10:19
I could see Dr. Psycho being useful to MC an opposing team full of Mystics, but that's about it. And with his cost vs. his dial utility (all that BF cutting off using his long range and multiple targets) you'll probably not get yor points' worth out of him. He starts off good for incapping a large chunk of your opponent's team, but not for his cost.

On Adam Strange, I can see how Armor Piercing would boost him a lot, but then he's kissing 100 points. Chances are I will play him if I pull him (I love the character.. I mean, come on, jet packs and laser guns!) but it will be very dependant on my pulls. I do want to use him in constructed with some science police. Galactic PD in the hizzy!

I agree 100% on Guardian. He's not anything special. Sure, he has tons of Charge, but with low damage and nothing to boost it (like SS, Perplex, etc.) I only see it really helping to pop Bat-bushes (Batman TA figures on bushes). And why would you get Combat Reflexes on a click with Flurry? You want to *stay* in close for multiple hits. You can't even expect to land on the CR click after a knockback hit to protect against hitting a wall because chances are you were on Charge when they hit you which would keep you from getting knocked back generally. I mean, I *guess* there might be a time that you are only going to take 1 or 2 damage and want to be knocked back out of close combat to in turn charge someone else, but i'm thinking that's a stretch. And as I mentioned in another thread, he was my "free unique" from Wizkids. Yay. (It also doesn't help that I hate the sculpt on him...)

gyrapados
02/09/2006, 10:25
another great review... Question, though. Can PB be used with multiple targets? That's something I overlooked, apparently, and if that's true, Dagger has more weight to pull in my Marvel teams. Eagerly looking forward to my Crimson Avenger, and the ability to ping through multiple defenses would only make her that much sweeter.

PB can be used with multiple targets. You just divide up damage like you normally would with multiple targets, with the exception that all damage dealt goes thru toughness, invul, imperv. So in theory Crimson Avenger could be psy blasting two invul/imp/tough figures for 1 unreducable damage each at a time (provided she hit both of course).

Kinda makes Dagger's stock rise a bit, eh? :)

AZS
02/09/2006, 10:35
Splitting PsyBlast damage is the reason Crimson Avenger gets a high rating. If she just had 1 target her value would be significantly less.

For Dr. Psycho, the problem I forsee is him MCing figs over 100 points (or even Multiple targets) and taking the MC feedback damage, then having no way to heal that damage. Yeah Mastermind (and if you’re lucky Batman TA) will help keep him from getting hit, but the built in damage aspect of MC will whittle him down to his BF clicks and thus uselessness.

AlgertMan
02/09/2006, 10:43
Cool write ups. Though I do think Adam Strange is a little more useful than what your review says

Oldguynewbie
02/09/2006, 10:49
I only see it really helping to pop Bat-bushes

Sounds like a close encounter between Richard Grayson and Barbara Gordon....

robii_chan
02/09/2006, 10:52
-squeels-
It's one of those things, and a big reason I love the game. You find out something new every day. I figured PB couldn't be used on multiple targets since RCE can't be. Good to know...

Mr. Pilkington
02/09/2006, 10:54
For Dr. Psycho, the problem I forsee is him MCing figs over 100 points (or even Multiple targets) and taking the MC feedback damage

Yep, I'm with you there. His useful dial is so short that he could easily feedback himself to worthlessness. I guess you could use him to Incap and only MC little stuff until you can line up a really big MC chain, but that's a lot of your team to sink into "hoping to get a big hit set up". By the way, is he really accurately depicted? I've only really seen him in the Villains United series, and while the BF makes sense for that he never really used that much MC.

2Face
02/09/2006, 10:58
In constructed, a lot of those figures will be great. In sealed, the stars of this set are going to be the REVs. I also think that the distribution makes sealed tournaments interesting, just like AW, because the odds are that you will pull a unique. Everyone is always tempted to play a unique when they pull it, but the strength of this set is in the REVs.

2 Gun Kid
02/09/2006, 11:17
I have to say for the points...Jonah Hex is AWESOME!! Hes cheap to fit on the team as a clean up/ 3rd string attacker, RS/Willpower/RCE with 8 Range (Remeber the dial is more rifle then pistols) so he runs in and fires for 2, then next turn aims and fires for 4, and he has WILLPOWR THE WHOLE DIAL!!! Given the 5 clix isnt that great but if you put him only up against someone like Vet Supes, then you deserve him getting whacked silly. But for the point cost you cant do much better.

MeatLoafX
02/09/2006, 11:18
First - you rock. These articles are the only reason I have even seen HCRealms this week.

Second -

Dr. Psycho is my most wanted unique, but I definitely don't want to pull him in a sealed event. He is going to be a ton of fun in constructed games where you can give him mastermind fodder, good TAs to mimic, etc. In sealed, though... blech.

Where I disagree:
Jonah Hex - cheap and huge potential damage. He's not a front line attacker, but for the points, you can't go wrong. His willpower will let him run in, hit someone and then attack next turn for the killing strike. I think he's great.

Owlman - in sealed, his TA and Outwit are fantastic and, though he doesn't have stealth, he brings a lot more to the table than almost any figure in his point range. With Bystanders and a lot of smaller pointed figures, his CSA ability will be useful. Again, not someone I'd send into the front line right away (unless you have no other choice) but his defense is high and in mid-late game, he'll be tough to hit with his TA.

Ignatz_Mouse
02/09/2006, 11:41
Dr Psycho will be usable if you have stealth. That will protect his Mastermind, mostly, and then he's pretty good.

But not for Mind Control. Triple Incap! yes, you may only use two of those targets most of the time, but that's generally excellent in sealed. MC makes a handy bonus threat threat ala the Spear of Destiny to control a portion of the board. If he has Suicide Squad to copy, even better.

I expect him to do better than people expect, and I would rate him ***, provided you have stealth to copy. Without it, he's too naked.

Ignatz_Mouse
02/09/2006, 11:44
Where I disagree:
Jonah Hex - cheap and huge potential damage. He's not a front line attacker, but for the points, you can't go wrong. His willpower will let him run in, hit someone and then attack next turn for the killing strike. I think he's great.

Agreed. The RS/WP/RCE combo is excellent in this regard, as it allows a hit round one, and a nasty blast in round two. He'll go great with a barrier piece (of which there are a some in the set), and he's *cheap*.

He's the new Arwyn. very self-sufficient, and even better with a little help.

Sink74
02/09/2006, 13:01
All things considered, the Uniques in this set are pretty boring by me. Except for maybe Kalibak, I'd trade any of these straight up for a V Emerald Empress or a V War Machine. Has anyone else noticed that one of the more boring sets of Uniques we've gotten has been the first DC set with the improved distribution?

I suppose I'm not complaining. Actually, it's nice not to have to get 6 or 7 uniques to feel like I've got what I want from a set.

Mr. Pilkington
02/09/2006, 13:14
I suppose I'm not complaining. Actually, it's nice not to have to get 6 or 7 uniques to feel like I've got what I want from a set.

I'm too obsessive about collecting to not get full sets anyway. I'm very happy with the range of uniques we are getting, character-wsie, but I understand that not every figure is great in every environment (like sealed). So I'll be there with most everyone else feeling happy to pull a unique at the marquee but sad that it had to be another Guardian.

Glen Quagmire
02/09/2006, 14:07
Dr Psycho will be usable if you have stealth. That will protect his Mastermind, mostly, and then he's pretty good.

But not for Mind Control. Triple Incap! yes, you may only use two of those targets most of the time, but that's generally excellent in sealed. MC makes a handy bonus threat threat ala the Spear of Destiny to control a portion of the board. If he has Suicide Squad to copy, even better.

I expect him to do better than people expect, and I would rate him ***, provided you have stealth to copy. Without it, he's too naked.

I think the key TA to making him work in any format is Suicide Squad to heal him off those BF clicks. Given just two mediocre SS members in CD (and I think E Dr. Light is uncommon or rare), the odds are low of pulling one of those two and Dr. Psycho and multiple bystanders to serve as mastermind fodder, it's true that he'll have a hard time in sealed.

But overall, people have let those BF clicks make them lose sight what he can do. He has no more useless clicks than mastermind figures like Viper or Joker, but he has more options than those figures to get back to his useful clicks.

Top10
02/09/2006, 14:11
Word on the street is that Adam Strange is very playable. I agree that the 2 damage is pitiful but maybe he is hard to get at.

Ignatz_Mouse
02/09/2006, 14:32
I think the key TA to making him work in any format is Suicide Squad to heal him off those BF clicks. Given just two mediocre SS members in CD (and I think E Dr. Light is uncommon or rare), the odds are low of pulling one of those two and Dr. Psycho and multiple bystanders to serve as mastermind fodder, it's true that he'll have a hard time in sealed.

But overall, people have let those BF clicks make them lose sight what he can do. He has no more useless clicks than mastermind figures like Viper or Joker, but he has more options than those figures to get back to his useful clicks.

There's also the option of healing him, or getting a Teen Titan next to him. There are quite a few ways to heal him, actually.

I imagine putting him on a rooftop corner, to drastically reduce the chance of somebody basing him (his biggest weakness, as a long-range, 3-target grounded fig). Then put Speedy behind him, or another WC copying a Titan. Or Dr Mid-Nite.

Even at that, I only rate him 3 stars *if* you have a Bat-ally to go with him. Without that, his MM is too prone to outwit, and then it's all over for him.

Wolverine_Hulk
02/09/2006, 15:01
Awesome Review!!!

Except Ambush Bug should be a 5 since he will KO your opponet by him laughing so much.

Thanosied
02/09/2006, 15:25
Thats a very accurate write up for the U's of the set. I love Adam Strange but after that first click he's pretty ###. The only chnage I would make would be bump Owlman to a 4 cause he is very long lasting and as long as he stays away from the opponents stelthed characters he's not going to get hit or die his TA is very, very strong eventhough it can't be copied.

secretwarrior
02/09/2006, 15:37
ok when are we gonna see right ups for the giants :)

awesome stuff as usual AZS!

Guzmo
02/09/2006, 16:28
In constructed, a lot of those figures will be great.

Really? I think most of the figures of this set are quite weak. No power uniques. Time to skip the boosters & get the few good REVs by trading. Feats & new objects are ok. Waiting the next article...

theSHOWDOWN
02/09/2006, 16:48
Yeah pretty much right on everything.

Except Eclipso. She doesn't have killer stats or anything, but in this format she's got ALOT going for her.

1) You imply her attack is too low to ever hit anything, but it's pretty average for this set. Yeah, it's low, but it's not unusable, either.

2) You mention elsewhere how great a 17 defense is for this set (since it's unusually difficult to hit), and she gets it after a push while she's still invulnerable and stealthed. With all those defensive aspects going for her, I don't expect her to leave the top of her dial quickly.

3) 3 damage isn't great, but Psy Blast goes a long way.

4) Even if she gets hit past stealth into her 7-attack clicks, she's still dishing out damage with Mystics. 9 clicks with lots of damage reducers and regeneration means that even if she doesn't do much attacking, she'll be a total bear to take down. Outside of a sealed game she could be dropped pretty quickly by some 5+ damage attacker, but those don't exist in this set. Most of the characters attacking her will be picking away for 1-2 damage at a time (after reducers).

So I think she's a total gem (4 smilies) for this tournament. In regular play she's just not that great and will require quite a bit of finesse. But here, I think she rocks.

AZS
02/09/2006, 17:04
Except Eclipso. She doesn't have killer stats or anything, but in this format she's got ALOT going for her.

1) You imply her attack is too low to ever hit anything, but it's pretty average for this set. Yeah, it's low, but it's not unusable, either.Its not just her starting AV, but her overall durrability too.
Starting with only a 9 for 132 points is really stretching the limit of credibility. But on just her second click she drops to 8, which is terrible for the cost. If she had a gradual decline starting from 10, or kept her 9 for a few clicks, she'd rate higher, but starting low and dropping quick is too bad for the cost.

2) You mention elsewhere how great a 17 defense is for this set (since it's unusually difficult to hit), and she gets it after a push while she's still invulnerable and stealthed. To be honest, I missed the defense bump.
Even looking at her fresh, the defense bump on click 2, and the attack bump at the end of her dial don't do much to help her playability.
If I went up against her, I'd be content to deal 1 or 2 clicks of damage to her and then ignore her. I don't have to KO her straight off (or even put her on regen), rather I'd just take the fight out of her and focus on the rest of the team. Let her struggle with the 8 AV, and I'll get back to her and her 17 defense after the rest of her team is dealt with.
There are SO many better things I expect to be able to do with 132 points that she's going to rank very low on my play list - and THAT is what this rating is for. Its not necessarily how good the figure is, but how should it rate in this format, and with so many better (and more common) figs out there she just doesn't stack up.

olcottr
02/10/2006, 13:39
Interesting that there are no 5's. Is this a trend you've noticed where Vet figures are becoming more powerful/playable than uniques?

Sinsations
03/04/2006, 22:42
Owlman definitely deserves a four. Using the CD map he'll have a fair bit of terrain, making his defense against ranged a nice 18. His ability to move around easily and outwit is nice, but his damage and his longevity also are not to be taken for granted. If you push him once you'll get willpower and keep the outwit (although losing toughness and incapacitate), which is still a great click. His close combat expert, flurry/exploit weakness combo, and his jump back up to a stealthed 10 damage after that make him vicious, not to mention the numerous rerolls you're going to be able to make if you put in a pog or two, or have someplace to drop action tokens without worry.

Mr. Pilkington
03/04/2006, 23:32
Well, Guardian wasn't useless for me, but he wasn't that effective given the CD map. That conveyor belt running through the middle hurts grounded chargers a lot. A swingline would've worked wonders, but not in a sealed event. E Mary Marvel was also a disappointment. I just kept missing with her (did get one Charge/Quake that crit hit two figues though). Crimson Avenger was solid until I ran into an Eclipso. That Stealth plus Invul made it impossible for me to take her out (note: Mary was missing her a lot when she only needed a 6... *sigh*).