The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: Clark Kent! [Archive] - HeroClix Realms

PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: Clark Kent!

ol_Dut
04/04/2006, 23:55
http://www.hcrealms.com/temp/HDCD_211.jpg

HeroClix players have been waiting a long time for a Clark Kent LE, and now thanks to Collateral Damage he’s finally here! Is he as uber-powerful as KC Supes? No. Is he as sneaky and punishing as CD LE Superman? No. Is he any good? Should you play hard to win him? Should you sell that ’72 purple Gremlin you’ve got out back to buy him? Well come on in and let’s see what we see!

Please click on "Replies" below to continue.

ol_Dut
04/05/2006, 00:00
Before we get in too deep, here are a few of Clark Kent’s vital statistics:

Type: E+
Clicks of Life: 7

Clark’s Gains v. Experienced Superman
There are 25 figures in Collateral Damage with Stealth, and Clark Kent is one of three (3) figures who can see each and every one of them (R and E Superman being the other two). That’s kind of a big deal. An even bigger deal, though, is that Clark is the only one that starts with any form of move-and-attack power. Clark has Running Shot (RS) on clicks one and two, compared to the E’s RS on the second and third click. This is a massive shot in the arm for little boy Blue. Huge. Clark also starts out with a beefy 10 attack which is more than appropriate for a figure weighing in at 127 points. Clark also gains an additional click of eight (8) attack deeper in his dial giving him a fair shot of being dangerous later on. The other interesting addition to Clark’s dial is two delightful clicks of Leadership. Normally that statement would be laced with quite justifiable sarcasm, but this time I mean it most sincerely as we’ll discuss below. Really.

Clark’s Losses v. Experienced Superman
There are a couple of tradeoffs for all of the perks listed above, the first of which is the fact that Clark coughs-up the E’s one and only click of Invulnerability and drops his opening defensive value from a nifty 17 to a merely fair 16. However, in light of what’s gained, I don’t really consider this to be a deal-breaker in any way, shape or form.

The second and perhaps more serious loss occurs on the damage track. Clark only has two clicks of three (3) damage compared to the E’s five – he swaps those missing three’s for two’s and picks up an extra click of one (1) damage on click six with hilarious results. This feels like a much more significant issue. And just on pure principle, for cryin’ in the alley, Superman should never have a one (1) as a damage value – unless it’s on an activation click before he hops into a phone booth to slip on the spandex. But even then you’d think Clark could do two (2) clicks of damage wouldn’t you – a big corn-fed alien farm boy like him?

Neutral Dial Tinkering between Clark and E Supes
One of the dial change-ups makes Clark fun, namely the aforementioned pushing of all of his Running Shot up front and sliding all of that pesky Phasing to the rear. The other bits seem more indifferent, specifically switching from Psychic Blast (PB) on click one to Energy Explosion for clicks two through four, and then closing out with three more clicks of PB. The Experienced has the same number of clicks of each power, they’re just neatly lumped together much to the delight of those who are lousy at memorizing dials – PB up front, EE in the rear. Mr. Kent’s Shape Change also gets bumped up one click in comparison to the Experienced who has it on his last two clicks, (clicks six and seven) while Clark has it on clicks five and six. This may be a bigger deal when the PAC changes take effect and Shape Change gets a boost. At that point, those playing Clark may really miss the loss of SC on his last click to help keep him safe while he’s in position to Regenerate. Right now, however, it doesn’t seem to be much of a hassle.

The Nitty Gritty
Clark Kent solves a cardinal sin perpetrated by E (and R) Superman, namely: Never, ever pay more than 100 points for a figure that only has a nine (9) attack. As stated above, Clark has that lone click of 10 attack and that, ladies and gentlemen, makes all the difference. Even his loss of Invulnerability can be forgiven to a point. Remember that the E Superman cannot move and attack. He Phases in, clears, and then attacks later. He needs that Invulnerability to keep him safe while he waits to act. Clark can pop out from behind blocking terrain, stealthed friendlies, etc., and pretty reliably zip-zap a bad guy for three clicks of PB love. After that, most figures in this set (and in Armor Wars before it) are sitting at an eight (8) attack at best, and will have a tough time hitting Clark back – and they’ll have even harder go of it if you can plop him into hindering terrain to boost his defense to 17 from range. Further, his point cost and Superman TA also make him a great candidate for Wildcard teams, as he’s both reasonably priced and effective.

Could Clark lead a 300 point team? Maybe, but he’d need the right support. Some Stealth or Barrier help would be great while he’s moving in to strike or waiting to clear. A close combat/Blades monster that Clark could drop next to his Running Shot target (thereby prohibiting retaliation) would also be useful and offset his diminished ability to absorb damage. However, Clark will really come into his own in larger games where he could serve as a secondary attacker knocking the wounded past the point of usefulness or better yet, sticking it to the now omni-present Dr. Midnight. Take that Stealth Medic! All things considered, though, Clark Kent is a great low-cost Superman.

Cards That Work
To make Clark more fun to play and improve his longevity, try playing the Debris Battlefield Condition. More objects means more hindering terrain that you can put wherever you want to help boost his defense from range. And, thanks to his TA, there’s no penalty for him to shoot through all that extra hindering.

Inspiring Command also makes some sense, as it lets you derive all of the value possible from Clark’s two (2) clicks of Leadership. Allowing his minions to essentially push for free is a thing of beauty, but may require a bit of finesse to execute. Remember how “Thunderbolts” made lots of people start playing Avengers? This card is going to have people hunting for some figures with Leadership.

If ol_Dut had to Choose Between Them...
Clark Kent v. Experienced Superman? I’d take Clark every single time due largely to the upfront Running Shot and the 10 attack. All of the E’s clicks of three (3) damage don’t mean quite so much if I get spun past them while I’m sitting there whistlin’ “Dixie”, waiting to clear so I can finally shoot somebody. Likewise, the E’s 17 Invulnerable loses it’s appeal/draw/value if I have to push off of it to attack so that I don’t get zinged whilst whistlin’ and clearing. Clark helps me avoid those conundrums and whack somebody besides. I like that.

Clark Kent v. Veteran Superman? This may seem like a silly question, but bear with me. Until “Danger Room” comes out, I’ll stick by the Vet for the obvious reasons of Hypersonic Speed and three (3) clicks of Invulnerable. After “Danger Room”, I’ll be going with Clark and leaving the Vet in the case. Since HSS doesn’t work with Psychic Blast and it will be getting castrated besides, Clark’s RS/PB combo and his ability to see into Stealth makes him get better looking every day. And with the 41 points I save I can bring an extra friend along and/or some feats to spice things up even more.

Quick and Dirty Price: After a look around online, it seems that $25.00 is a fair price for Mr. Kent, but right now supplies seem to be fairly limited. While the hard-core collectors probably won’t mind paying that price, the more casually-minded would likely be well-served in waiting for that price to come down a bit.

Next week: Captain Marvel! Thanks for reading!

lobo1
04/05/2006, 01:19
Nice review. I am looking forward to trying to win this piece. I think he is the best out of the Superman figures in this set because Psycic Blast and RS are compatible.

cheers

BuffDudley
04/05/2006, 01:32
Nice review.

I agree about the sweet combo of RS and PB. Makes the figure much more playable. I also strongly agree that you should never pay more than 100 points to get a figure with a 9 AV.

I really don't like to even play with figures with anything lower than a 10 AV, and Superman definitely deserves better than a 9 AV. I also agree that Supes doing 1 damage is sad.

Just a passing thought in hindsight, but wouldn't it have made sense that Clark would've been an LE in Icons, a variation of the V Supes, instead of the Red/Blue Supes? I just thought that the "Icons" should've gotten LEs instead of the second stringers. But I digress.

archaon02
04/05/2006, 01:33
Hey Ol_dut!! Great to finally see another article from you. I agree with your assessment of Clark. An all around great LE.

Papa Smurf
04/05/2006, 03:56
thanks, I will be trying to get him FO_SHO

hair10
04/05/2006, 09:27
I completely agree about the Leadership and Inspiring Command. In fact, I’ve already used him on a team with Krypto and Ambush Bug! :d

ol_Dut
04/05/2006, 10:32
Nice review.

Just a passing thought in hindsight, but wouldn't it have made sense that Clark would've been an LE in Icons, a variation of the V Supes, instead of the Red/Blue Supes? I just thought that the "Icons" should've gotten LEs instead of the second stringers. But I digress.

I agree that a Clark Kent LE based off of the Icons Supes could have been cooler since he represents the Superman that most people think of when they think of Superman. However, to be comics-accurate, I would worry that the designers would have given him an activation click to indicate his trasition from civilian to superhero (ala U Shazam, Bruce Banner, etc.), and as a general rule I don't much like activation clicks on figures that need to be on the front lines ASAP. Besides, I wouldn't want to think of a Superman that's better than Icons Supes (especially the Vet) - he's both powerful and expensive enough as he is. The neat thing about this Clark Kent LE is that he gives a reasonably powerful Superman figure that doesn't break the bank points-wise, and that's pretty darn cool, too.

PANZER
04/05/2006, 10:53
I feel that Clark Kent doesn't pack enough punch to be a primary attacker in 300 and 400 points, and it's too much expensive to be a secondary attacker on the same formats. Of course he has his advantages, but I feel that Black Queen is a better figure overall.

Even if we compare him to V Banshee, I'm not sure if he's a better figure ...

de4dp00l
04/05/2006, 11:54
I feel that Clark Kent doesn't pack enough punch to be a primary attacker in 300 and 400 points, and it's too much expensive to be a secondary attacker on the same formats. Of course he has his advantages, but I feel that Black Queen is a better figure overall.

Even if we compare him to V Banshee, I'm not sure if he's a better figure ...
I agree 100%. The E CD Superman and this LE are really the losers of the Supermen (discounting the classic Hypertime REV and U).
For 127 points, the LE has...
...only 7 clicks of life
...only 4 clicks of toughness to protect him
...an Attack value that starts off OK, but drops pretty quickly
...only 2 clicks of 3 damage, dropping to 2 (the Psychic Blast at the end helps, but with AVs of 8, 7, and 6, he'll be hard pressed to hit with it)

To me, the only reason to play him is for the Psychic Blast and Running Shot combo on that top click, as well as the Superman Ally Ta. The regen is nice, but it's only one click at the end of a short dial, so it will be very, very rare that you land on it and get to use it, and even more rare that it will actually net you healing, since most of the time you'll need to push to use it.

If I'm looking to play a themed game and need a Supes, I'll play one of the Icons pieces, or the CD Rookie if I need to economize. If I'm looking for a mobile Psychic Blaster, I'll take FF Ghost Rider any day of the week. Moonstar and Black Queen also strike as better choices for that role, as well. They lack the ability to ignore stealth, but generally speaking Imperv/Invuln pieces don't have stealth anyway.

rock810
04/05/2006, 12:17
I don't know. I like this Superman and feel he leaves quite a bit to be built around. I even built a nice and nasty 300 point team around ol' lightning pants sup's

Clark Kent LE
Wasp Experienced Starter (Thunderbolts-JSA)
Omac Experienced
Shadow Lass Rookie
Con artist Experienced
Paramedic Experienced

Basically, Everyone now has an 18 defense because of OMAC and shadow lass. The OMAC and shadow lass can also set up a nice line of sight blocking set up with Clark behind him. Clark can running shot after being perplexed by the friendly neighborhood con artist. The OMAC and Shadow lass pair can then position in front of Superman now as well. If superman takes damage he can easily phase back to the medic and his defense will be low enough that he WILL be healed.

Rurouni KJS
04/05/2006, 13:40
I completely agree about the Leadership and Inspiring Command. In fact, I’ve already used him on a team with Krypto and Ambush Bug! :d

But...that card only works on lower-point figs with the same team symbol, which shuts out pretty much everyone except the old Steels, Superboys and the dog.

Caelcor
04/05/2006, 14:22
Nice article as always, Ol_Dut. The more I see your name on the frontpage, the better. ;)

I don't know. I like this Superman and feel he leaves quite a bit to be built around. I even built a nice and nasty 300 point team around ol' lightning pants sup's

Clark Kent LE
Wasp Experienced Starter (Thunderbolts-JSA)
Omac Experienced
Shadow Lass Rookie
Con artist Experienced
Paramedic Experienced

Basically, Everyone now has an 18 defense because of OMAC and shadow lass. The OMAC and shadow lass can also set up a nice line of sight blocking set up with Clark behind him. Clark can running shot after being perplexed by the friendly neighborhood con artist. The OMAC and Shadow lass pair can then position in front of Superman now as well. If superman takes damage he can easily phase back to the medic and his defense will be low enough that he WILL be healed.

This has nothing to do with Superman, but Rock, I've been trying to work out a similar team to this one in my head for a while, using a Thunderbolts'ed LE Ant-Man switched to Defenders/JSA and a Green Lantern (can't decide which yet). Slap some Flashbang on the Shadow Lass and have her carry around some Stealthed rangers (Green Arrow, Batman, Nightwing / Red Robin, there are plenty of good options...) and your opponent's got some SERIOUS problems. I know I wouldn't want to deal with a wall of perma-Stealthed Incapacitators who all had a 20 DV. Glad to see someone else loves the newest Legionnaire as much as I do. ;)

clixboy
04/05/2006, 23:55
Yeah this supes can fit roles in 400pt games. But I completely disagree on the HSS changes making vet supes weaker. Unlike RS where you sit and shoot, HSS still enables you to shoot and scoot, it is still a viable ability as far as I am concerned, with most DC powerhouses sporting 0 range and HSS , I feel the changes aren't that bad anyways.

Prophet22192
04/06/2006, 03:46
I like the argument that we should have seen Clark Kent as an Icons LE, but I'm starting to notice a pattern with WizKids and the BIG LEs.

#1, Peter Parker - Who was the first LE Spider-Man we got? The Ultimate Spider-Man with the backpack from Ultimates, not the 616 version. Yes, they corrected it in MM, but still....

#2, Bruce Banner - Grey Hulk instead of ol' Green Skin?

#3, Logan - Not counting the REV of the same name, instead of a Wolvering in the classic costume, we get bone claws and a pirate scarf.

#4, Steve Rogers - STILL waiting, and yet, we have Jack Daniels or whatever his name is.

#5, Reed Richards - Who, btw, is STILL trying to figure out why he's standing there with the 616 Fantastic Four and can't even shave yet.

#6, Bruce Wayne - Paratrooper Batman with the detachable head instead of the real Dark Knight?

#7, Clark Kent - Mr. Plug Me Into a Light Socket himself.

And yet, they seem to do right by second tier heroes (or even tier 1 and 1/2, if you want to split hairs.) Hal Jordan, Arthur Curry (At the time, he was comic-accurate), Tony Stark, Frank Castle, Oliver Queen....

This leads me to several predictions of future LEs we will see.

A) Wally West - Rather than seeing anything resembling the classic costume, we'll get our Flash LE in the dark maroon version with the white lightning bolt.

B) Guy Gardner - Between the camp who liked him as a GL, and the camp who liked him as Warrior, I'm not sure WizKids HAS a right answer to pick for this one. Someone's gonna be dissapointed.

C) D*ck Grayson - We'll either get him in a Robin costume, in the old light-blue flare collar Nightwing costume, or worse yet, one of the Elseworlds versions like Thrillkiller. (Please dear god let that set have the matching Batgirl with the crop top.)

and last but certainly not least, the final piece of the DC Trinity.

D) Princess Diana - WizKids will go one of two ways with this one. They'll either give us the leather-clad, short-haired, jean-jacket wearing Diana from when Artemis was running around in the star-spangled swimsuit. OR They'll give her the Captain America treatment and we'll get Artemis as Wonder Woman, complete with LE, before we get Diana.

Smaug317
04/07/2006, 09:09
Nice review!

I agree with the Clark vs Vet statement. That's why I still have to go get me a Clark!