PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: Len Snart! (AKA Captain Cold)

ol_Dut
04/21/2006, 10:19
http://www.hcrealms.com/temp/capcold.jpg

What a horribly unfortunate name! No wonder he turned to a life of crime. With a name like “Len Snart” he no doubt got his butt kicked every single day on the playground when he was growing up, and decided to make everyone pay for what he was forced to endure. Now that he’s finally reached that coveted bronze ring, has Mama Snart’s boy finally made something of himself? Or should he pack up those giant ice cubes he made and go look for somebody who’s got a giant margarita glass and spend his night talking about what might have been? Get on in here before that guy in the corner eats all the snacks and let’s find out!

Click on “Replies” to continue.

ol_Dut
04/21/2006, 10:25
LE Len Snart - #201
Type: E+
Clicks of Life: 6
Range: 6
Targets: 2

Len Snart’s Gains vs. Experienced Captain Cold
For a mere nine points more than the Experienced Cold, Len Snart really picks up a lot. Starting with the most important and working our way down, Snart gains a second target – this is critical for getting the most out of his enormously expensive clicks of Incapacitate. On his third and sixth clicks, he gains two additional clicks of an extremely swanky three (3) damage, giving him a total of four clicks with three (3) damage. Down on click two, he picks up an extra dose of Running Shot which is terribly important. He also acquires Barrier and Leadership on his first click allowing him to more effectively contribute to the greater evil right from the start. Finally, on his last click, his defense bumps up a notch to 14, vs. the E’s 13, and the extra little surprise on that last click is the big ol’ nine (9) attack he’s sporting so that he can go out with a bang! It’s a big improvement over the E Cold and is nothing to snart at, indeed.

Len Snart’s Losses vs. Experienced Captain Cold
So if you’re like me, you’re probably thinking, “Hey, man, that’s a lot of great stuff to get for only nine (9) more points. Len must’ve given up a ton to get all that!” And, like me, you’d be wrong. He hardly gives up a snarting thing. All he sheds is a bit of Plasticity on his last click, and he drops one click of eight (8) attack – which is essentially swapped out for that nine at the bottom of his dial. It’s pure gravy for Len, baby!

Neutral Dial Tinikering
As with Len’s losses, there isn’t much to look at here either. First, Len splits up his Incap with three (3) clicks up front and one (1) in the rear, whereas E Cold keeps his four clicks of Icap all together at the top of his dial. Similarly, Len’s Barrier is split up with two (2) clicks at the top and at the bottom of his dial, while E Cold keeps his squarely in the middle on clicks two through five.

Cards That Work
Let’s face it. That six (6) range should make everyone a little nervous since Len doesn’t have any damage reducers to speak of. To level the playing field a bit, try using the Darkenss battlefield condition to pull everyone down to that six range of his. After all, if Len can’t see his snart in front of his face, why should anyone else be able to? Maybe it’s those goggles he’s wearing.

And this one may be obvious, but with two (2) targets, all that Incap and all that natural three (3) damage, he’d probably get all kinds of mileage out of the Stunning Blow feat. You just can’t pass up the chance to, at a minimum, Incap one target and Incap and damage another.

If ol_Dut had to Choose
LE Len Snart vs. Experienced Captain Cold? Hands down it’s going to be Len Snart every single time. I may not even let the Veteran see the light of day again, either. Why? What Len gives me upfront, and also down the dial, is options and a relative degree of potency. For 77 points I can move and shoot with a very solid nine (9) attack – this must be industry standard these days. If I want, I can Incap up to two victims, or just split up damage; whatever I feel like doing. If my gang is kind of hanging out to dry and is in danger of getting the snart beat out of them, I can drop a barrier of those giant ice cubes down to keep my fellow evildoers safe. Leadership can also be a big benefit at the early stages of the game when any extra move can help get the team in a better position or to press the advantage if that’s already been done.

The Plasticity is also a nice touch in a “punny” kind of way. All that ice he’s shooting makes him better able to slip away from the good guys, I guess, and puts him back on track to milk those two targets of his for all he’s worth.

The icing on the cake for a figure like Len, though, is his Calculator Team Ability. Is his attack value looking a little melty? Have him borrow from a Bat Ememy. Pair him up with a Superman Enemy for some extra Outwit to help put those do-gooders in their place. Len can borrow the Mystic team ability as a slight deterrent to keep folks from automatically pounding on the guy with the goofy goggles and no damage reducers. Best of all, in my book anyway, leeching any of these TA’s is very defensible from a comics/cartoon accuracy standpoint. However, if anyone wants to have Snarty copy Kabuki, by all means feel free.

Len isn’t an uber-powerful piece, although four of his six clicks have three (3) damage, Barrier and Incap, which certainly does gives him a lot of punch. And while he may not be a game-breaker, he’s an awful lot of fun for 77 points and he’s probably the best darn Captain Cold out there. Maybe that will keep him from crying in his adult beverage - for a little while at least.

Quick and Dirty Price Tag
OK, now that you’re all jacked up on Snart, all you’ll need to get one of your very own is about $10-12.

That’s it for this week. Join us again next week for more Collateral Damage!

Thanks for reading!

olcottr
04/21/2006, 16:32
I like having that Barrier at the end where he's otherwise useless. :)

tidge
04/21/2006, 17:27
One of my players has used him (with Stunning Blow) as a key member of a Flash's Rogues team. I hope to add him to my collection for Suicide Squad :)

archaon02
04/21/2006, 17:46
Frankly, they had me sold with the one click of Leadership. Just from a "he's the leader of Flash's Rogues" standpoint. The fact that he's phenomenally playable is just gravy in my eyes.

Sidenote: Try to avoid getting gravy in your eyes. It's not as fun as it sounds.

insight
04/21/2006, 18:13
Inspiring Command on the LE is a great bonus to the Flash Rogues as well

The Werle
04/21/2006, 18:34
Frankly, they had me sold with the one click of Leadership. Just from a "he's the leader of Flash's Rogues" standpoint. The fact that he's phenomenally playable is just gravy in my eyes.

Agreed. I've been wanting more Rogues forever, and Len is the best version of Cold made.

Incidentally, the plasticity on his dial represents when he uses his cold gun to create a supercold field of air, which slows down anything that enters it. Its what he uses to slow down the Flash enough that he can even hit him.

MadCap#1
04/21/2006, 19:21
I am glad you posted this review after I bought him on Ebay. I was able to get him relatively cheap: $7.00! Usually, after these glowing reviews, prices seem to go up for awhile.
The deal sealer for me was the two targets more then the leadership. Plus, who needs the Flash Rogues when we can now almost make the full team of....THE LEGION OF DOOM!!! Super Friends beware! :p

shin-goji
04/21/2006, 19:25
I like how the ice is frosted instead fo clear for the LE.

lunar
04/21/2006, 21:26
I like how the ice is frosted instead fo clear for the LE.

How is it for the E and V? I know the R is clear.

Vevilaughs
04/22/2006, 00:44
It seems like everyone wants to play Stunning Blow, and it is an effective use for some pieces. IMO, it would seem like a Rogues team would benefit more from Len with Extended Range. All 4 of his 3 damage clicks match up with his 4 clicks of Incap. With the lack of flyers in the Rogues Gallery (and TK) it may be more beneficial for Len to have 2 targets at a 9 range for Incap, so he can slow the progress of the enemy and let his team get into place.

ol_Dut
04/22/2006, 02:46
It seems like everyone wants to play Stunning Blow, and it is an effective use for some pieces. IMO, it would seem like a Rogues team would benefit more from Len with Extended Range. All 4 of his 3 damage clicks match up with his 4 clicks of Incap. With the lack of flyers in the Rogues Gallery (and TK) it may be more beneficial for Len to have 2 targets at a 9 range for Incap, so he can slow the progress of the enemy and let his team get into place.

However, per the Marvel Errata updated in November of '05:

Extended Range
• Replace the text on the card with: “Before making a ranged combat attack, the character's range may be increased for the duration of the attack by a number of squares up to its unmodified damage value. For each square the range of an attack is increased, decrease the damage value by 1 (after all other modifiers and
replacements) when resolving the attack. An attack using Incapacitate does not place any action tokens on the target.”

...unless i'm reading this wrong, it doesn't look like the ER/Incap combo will have the effect you want, so I'm sticking with Stunning Blow.

lastcastle
04/22/2006, 11:23
I don't kow if I remember this right but isn't elasticity also a requirement for trickshot. seems like that would be a good card to play on him too. I like the le's in this set so far and have just worked out a trade for len and ralph. I'm not crazy about the clark kent le but the ngn superman more than makes up for it.

spider_ham
04/22/2006, 18:34
How is it for the E and V? I know the R is clear.

The E/LE are frosted; the R/V are clear. :)

Top10
04/22/2006, 18:46
I'd play the LE over the other versions.

I lkie the pushable first few clicks (only if you needed to)
especially having barrier up front.

The calculator TA makes it real easy to play him in a 500 point and up game. Especially if you are going for the Legion of Doom theme.
A couple of Superman enemies from Bizarro and Lex. Batman Enemy from Riddler. IL TA from Cheetah.

As far as the frosting on the ice, I think it's random. I don't think all vet have frosting and the ice on the exp is clear.

deadunitx
04/23/2006, 14:13
ok pees i can make him ten time better ready ddddddddrrrrrrruuuuuummmmmmmrrrrroooolllllll
for 10pts. more add force field..taa daaa

Superbuddy
04/24/2006, 11:29
However, per the Marvel Errata updated in November of '05:

Extended Range
• Replace the text on the card with: “Before making a ranged combat attack, the character's range may be increased for the duration of the attack by a number of squares up to its unmodified damage value. For each square the range of an attack is increased, decrease the damage value by 1 (after all other modifiers and
replacements) when resolving the attack. An attack using Incapacitate does not place any action tokens on the target.”

...unless i'm reading this wrong, it doesn't look like the ER/Incap combo will have the effect you want, so I'm sticking with Stunning Blow.

The extended range shouldn't affect Stunning Blow, however. The card reads:

Choose a character.

When the character makes a successful attack with Incapacitate, in addition to the effects of Incapacitate, the character may deal damage equal to its unmodified damage value. Divide the attacker's damage value any way you choose among the successfully hit targets. (Emphasis mine, of course)

The reduction of 1 damage for every +1 increase in range would be a modification, and doesn't count for damage dealt by Stunning Blow. The two feats should work together fine.

GL4Life
04/24/2006, 17:13
The extended range shouldn't affect Stunning Blow, however. The card reads:

Choose a character.

When the character makes a successful attack with Incapacitate, in addition to the effects of Incapacitate, the character may deal damage equal to its unmodified damage value. Divide the attacker's damage value any way you choose among the successfully hit targets. (Emphasis mine, of course)

The reduction of 1 damage for every +1 increase in range would be a modification, and doesn't count for damage dealt by Stunning Blow. The two feats should work together fine.

Yes, but you still have to make an incapacitate attack in order to use stunning blow, and Incap reduces damage to 0, as such there is no damage to reduce to use extended range. With stunning blow you have to make the incapacitate first for the damage to work.

Sucrebo
04/24/2006, 17:46
The extended range card doesn't state that Incapacitation no longer occurs, just that no token gets applied. This may suggest that Stunning Blow could be triggerred. Basically, Incapacitate happens, but its effects are nullified. Basically 20 points to add 3 range, but quite sneakily.

Ro-gan
04/24/2006, 18:03
Great Review!

I can't wait to get me an LE of Mr. Cold.

Superbuddy
04/25/2006, 05:42
Yes, but you still have to make an incapacitate attack in order to use stunning blow, and Incap reduces damage to 0, as such there is no damage to reduce to use extended range. With stunning blow you have to make the incapacitate first for the damage to work.

Not a problem. Here's the language from Extended Range:

Choose a character.

Before making a ranged combat attack, the character’s range may be increased for the duration of the attack by a number of squares up to its unmodified damage value. For each square the range of an attack is increased, decrease the damage dealt by 1 (after all other modifiers and replacements) when resolving the attack

Incapacitate has no damage to to reduce, so you don't reduce below zero. However, the range is extended before making the attack, based on unmodified DV. You're trading away damage that you're not planning to use anyway. After the Incap attack succeeds, then the unmodified DV is given to you to divide as you choose among your targets, but it's not directly related to damage being inflicted in the attack. At least that's how it reads to me!

Jitters
04/25/2006, 19:35
Not a problem. Here's the language from Extended Range:

Choose a character.

Before making a ranged combat attack, the character’s range may be increased for the duration of the attack by a number of squares up to its unmodified damage value. For each square the range of an attack is increased, decrease the damage dealt by 1 (after all other modifiers and replacements) when resolving the attack

Incapacitate has no damage to to reduce, so you don't reduce below zero. However, the range is extended before making the attack, based on unmodified DV. You're trading away damage that you're not planning to use anyway. After the Incap attack succeeds, then the unmodified DV is given to you to divide as you choose among your targets, but it's not directly related to damage being inflicted in the attack. At least that's how it reads to me!

The part that I see is the poart that says "For each square the range of an attack is increased, decrease the damage dealt by 1 (after all other modifiers and replacements) when resolving the attack". The key phrase there is "after all other modifiers and replacements". The damage from stunning blow would be a replacement value, and the damage modification from extended range would apply _after_ the replacement value from stunning blow.
So, even if you go with the extending range for incapcitate, you can't squeeze any more damage out with stunning blow then you would with a normal extended range attack.