PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: Rex Mason & OMAC 5674!

ol_Dut
05/25/2006, 09:24
http://www.hcrealms.com/temp/HDCD_076.jpg http://www.hcrealms.com/temp/HDCD_058.jpg

Our continued assault on the Collateral Damage LE’s brings us to today’s offerings: Rex Mason (Metamorpho) and OMAC 5674 (OMAC)! One is a JLA’er, the other is a remorseless fighting machine featured heavily in DC’s “Identity Crisis”. Slide on in here as we take a look at their dials and try to figure out how these to compare to there regular REV counterparts so you know how hard to play, how hard to trade, and how much to spend,

Please click “Replies” to continue.

ol_Dut
05/25/2006, 09:32
As a young comic reader way back when “The Outsiders” was still “Batman and the Outsiders”, Metamorpho captured my imagination due to his tragic origins and his veritable cornucopia of powers and abilities. Considering the relative degree of difficulty of bringing a character like Metamorpho into with wonderful world of ‘Clix, one must give the designers credit for doing a pretty admirable job in this particular instance. Let’s start off with Rex’s statistics.

Rex Mason #208 (Metamorpho)
Type: V-
Clicks: 8
Range: 2
Targets: 1

LE Rex Mason’s Gains v. V Metamorpho
As we all know, that Outsiders team ability (which I notoriously forget to leverage) is one expensive TA. Swapping that out in favor of the JLA TA gives Mason the ability to buy a few enhancements. For starters, he gains one click of Toughness and Plasticity mid-dial, and one extra click of Super Senses and Poison on his first click. He picks up two clicks of Defend at the bottom of his dial and two extra clicks of eight (8) attack mid-dial. And affording him the opportunity to make the most of his late-dial phasing, Rex sees his speed increase to a snazzy eight (8) and nine (9) on his last two clicks overshadowing the Vet’s meager six (6) speed. On the damage track, Rex has two additional clicks of three (3) damage, bringing him to four in total.

LE Rex Mason’s Losses v. V Metamorpho
The two things most noticeably missing from Rex’s dial are that lone click of four (4) damage and his dial-closing two clicks of Regeneration. Less significant losses include his opening defense going from 17 to 16, and the absence of both Smoke Cloud (try to hold back the tears) and Shape Change.

Neutral Dial Tinkering
None really to speak of, it seems. Most everything on Rex’s dial is either a step up or a step down.

Cards that Work
For a mere eight points, the upcoming Entangle feat will provide Rex with some much appreciated extra protection for half of his dial. After all, having a chance to not only stop an opponent from attacking him but from doing anything at all is a pretty neat deal. Perhaps a more obvious choice would be Armor Piercing, so that the maximum value can get sucked out of those starting three clicks of Poison. Infiltration also makes some sense in Rex’s case Since he opens with Phasing, Infiltration will allow him to be placed a full five (5) squares away from his starting area and since his speed is nine (9), when he’s given a move action he effectively moves 14 squares that turn. This is rather necessary as due to Rex’s anemic range he’s going to have to get in very close to hit or hurt anyone.

If ol_Dut had to Choose
LE Rex Mason v. V Metamorpho? It’s a tough one, but Rex Mason wins out and here’s why. REV Metamorpho strikes me as a primary or secondary attacker who can’t quite pull it off due to a lack of large numbers to go along with all the pretty colors. Specifically, the Vet doesn’t start with enough to really help. The Phasing and Exploit Weakness are nice, but the Smoke could and a bare naked defense? All those clicks of seven (7) and even a six (6) attack? Come on! Rex has the same Phasing and Exploit Weakness to begin with, but he’s also got the much more effective and entertaining Poison and Super Senses. In the meat of his dial, he’s got four clicks of a respectable eight (8) attack, and those four clicks of three (3) damage to go along with his Poison and Incapacitate. The nicest little surprise, however, is saved for the end when he winds up with Phasing and Defend. Thanks to Phasing, there is no reason for Rex not to be able to get somewhere useful and lend that terrific 17 defense to a much more potent and important figure in the late game. Once everyone has taken a hit or three and those attack numbers are no longer what they once were, that 17 that Rex has to share is going to be golden. That’s why when I need a Metamorpho I’ll be reaching for Rex instead.

Quick and Dirty Price Guide
Rex is a little hard to find these days, but if you can get one for $15 or less, grab him and consider yourself lucky. Then annoy your friends with the Poison, Plasticity and Defend!

Moving right along we have OMAC 8675309, err, 90210, err 5674.

OMAC 5674 #214 (OMAC)
Type: V+
Clicks: 8 (including and activation click)
Range: 8
Targets: 1

LE OMAC 5674’s Gains v. V OMAC
Weighing in at 15 more points than the Vet, LE OMAC comes equipped with quite a few upgrades. Chief among them is the Calculator TA, which can make up for a multitude of sins. He acquires one additional click of Toughness, 17 defense, eight (8) attack and Pulse Wave. Force Blast, Blades/Claws/Fangs and Poison all show up for two clicks giving him a power set that is clearly separate and distinct from the REV. Finally, he has an eight (8) range compared to the Vet’s six (6), and after his activation click he sports a huge 18 defense, although that big defense is devoid of any powers.

LE OMAC 5674’s Losses v. V OMAC
Due entirely to the activation click, LE OMAC effectively loses one click of life. Both the Vet and LE have a total of eight clicks, but the LE’s opening click is completely worthless – as is typical for activation clicks. In this instance it’s undeniably comic book accurate. The activation click signifies the moment when the OMAC was activated by Brother Eye and sent out to destroy all the metahumans he could find. Hurray for comic book accuracy! From a powers perspective, the LE drops all traces of Stealth, Regeneration, Super Strength, and Energy Explosion. That’s a lot to sacrifice.

Cards that Work
In an attempt to cram some of the fun back into Mr. Clear Blue Easy, you may want to use Darkness Within in conjunction with him. For 15 points, one of his teammates gets a +1 to his/her attack and LE OMAC ditches that infernal activation click. But now you’ve got a 139 point OMAC with seven short clicks of life. That’s almost 20 points per click. Congratulations, and tread lightly, Grasshopper. As a little bit of morbid humor, Rally may also be a good card to use. He’s got a better-than-average chance of being the highest-point figure on a 300 point team, he’s a big target and he’s got a short dial. You may as well benefit from his ultimate and eventual demise by playing this battlefield condition so that you can remove a few action tokens from your other figures when he gets KO’d..

If ol_Dut had to Choose
LE OMAC v. Vet OMAC? Neither. I’ll take the Experienced OMAC over the both of them every day of the week. For significantly fewer points than the Vet and LE, the Experienced OMAC starts with Stealth, a typical nine (9) attack, an 18 defense with Toughness and three (3) damage with Outwit. That’s no too bad for an 83 point wildcard. Down the dial his attack numbers are pretty fair, there’s a lucky shot at some Regen, and his damage never drops below a two (2). He even gets some Shape Change to keep him safe and a dash of Perplex to use as needed. As far as OMACs go, he’s the most effective for the points. Sure he never gets the LE’s 10 attack, but he’s 41 points less and he has the same number of useful clicks (seven). Yeah, the Vet has a 10 attack as well, but the Experienced OMAC has the ever-dangerous Pulse Wave instead of the Vet’s more mundane Energy Explosion. And the Experienced OMAC’s blue ring matches the figure. I guess it was meant to be. It was like a sign or something. “Use the E. Use the E.”

Quick and Dirty Price Guide
Remember those days when some cats were paying $40 to $50 or more for this little blue man? Now you could get a whole group of ‘em for that money since they’ve dropped down to a much more affordable $12 on average. He’s a must for the OMAC fans and completionists, but for everyone else he should be an easy one to pass over.

Thanks for reading! See you next week!

RIP Manhunter. Kate Spencer, we hardly knew ya.

bigbro911
05/25/2006, 09:53
Couldn't agree more about the E OMAC...

Thanks for the review!

IronAmerica
05/25/2006, 10:04
thank you so much for this reveiw youve helped me to understand hc's even more and i agree with you on the experienced omac paragraph

Dirtybird
05/25/2006, 10:17
I have been using activation click figures for PC fodder for my Owlman. I also like the Earthbound on the activation click as it lets you carry OMAC around, Drop him in stealth and then pump him up when needed. Worked pretty good for me anyway. Your mileage may vary!

SuperGENE
05/25/2006, 10:24
Great job as always, ol_Dut! The one thing I would have liked to have seen this time is prices for the corresponding REVs. I know it's supposed to be an LE review, but I am curious where you would set your price point for the rest of the OMACs.

serioussam
05/25/2006, 10:24
and to think that i am stuck with not one, not two, but three...yes three le omacs.
i don't even have a single of the rev:{
good reviews as usual.
I want to hear about LE Clark Kent (seems anemic) and the super gene-grafted brain.
later folks,
serioussam
btw. OMAC 5678934(you know) up for trade (x2 mib) I am keeping one, just because he looks neat!

Unrealplayer
05/25/2006, 10:35
Im not seeing where the E is a better choice than the le. The E has a 6 RANGE and is not a flyer and does not start with PB. ??

winndwalker
05/25/2006, 11:12
I had the priveledge of trying Rex Mason last night and my opinion of him is greatly enhanced. He has a very fun dial, and his defense really doesn't drop all that much. Very frustrating to opponents. And when they do finally get him just move him to the back and everybody gets a 17. Waaay better than the REV.

Sehmket
05/25/2006, 11:12
Another great article, ol_Dut! I always enjoy seeing your LE reviews - they're always smart and right-on-the-point.

j-pop
05/25/2006, 11:34
another great review, thanks!

I did not manage to get any of the REV of Metomorpho but was fortunate enough to get Rex for Fellowship. My thought was "Great! Better than the REV's anyways".
Also, I saw no reason to look for the V OMAC (I pulled the R and E from my brick). The E seemed like the best bet to me.
It's nice to have those opinions validated.

Wolverine_Hulk
05/25/2006, 15:11
Great review.

KneelB4Zodd
05/26/2006, 01:49
Im not seeing where the E is a better choice than the le. The E has a 6 RANGE and is not a flyer and does not start with PB. ??

The LE doesn't start with PB either, since he has that activation click. :laugh:

If they were both zero points, the LE would be better, but I wouldn't pay 124 to play the LE, but the Exp is very playable at 83.

serioussam
05/26/2006, 09:05
The OMAC LE is a flyer, the E version is grounded. They are both wildcards, but I will take a flyer over a grounded figure every time (drag around the red hood if you please) as a flying wildcard you can t-bolt a cheapo grounded avenger to GL team and now OMAC can taxi 8 figs, or block with pogs, etc. Ol_Dut's review is accurate, but a bit myopic. The LE OMAC will tear apart the E version (as it should be for the point dif). In addition the LE is high cost(134), but does not cost enough to where it has to be the most costly fig on your team. Pair him with ngn supes(211), and you can still t-bolt a cheap avenger, or USE pogs AND feats.

A RANDOM CHEESE TEAM:
NGN SUPERMAN (211) NANOBOTS (10) (SUPERMAN SHOULD NOT, BUT HEY)
LE OMAC (134)
E. DOC MIDNIGHT OF THE JSA? TO SHARE THAT 18 DEFENSE, OR LOWER IT TO HEAL.
NOT MUCH OF A TEAM, BUT OMAC IS NOT THE CENTERPIECE AT LEAST.
BETTER COULD BE PUT TOGETHER, THIS IS JUST OFF OF THE TOP OF MY HEAD.
OMAC GETS STEALTH AND THE MEDIC GETS AN 18 D.
MY MATH MAY BE OFF A BIT HERE, BUT SO PROTECTED COULD GO AWAY.
I THINK I AM HAPPY WITH MY LE OMAC (I STILL HAVE TWO EXTRAS)

ol_Dut
05/26/2006, 11:17
The OMAC LE is a flyer, the E version is grounded. They are both wildcards, but I will take a flyer over a grounded figure every time (drag around the red hood if you please) as a flying wildcard you can t-bolt a cheapo grounded avenger to GL team and now OMAC can taxi 8 figs, or block with pogs, etc. Ol_Dut's review is accurate, but a bit myopic. The LE OMAC will tear apart the E version (as it should be for the point dif). In addition the LE is high cost(134), but does not cost enough to where it has to be the most costly fig on your team. Pair him with ngn supes(211), and you can still t-bolt a cheap avenger, or USE pogs AND feats.

A RANDOM CHEESE TEAM:
LE OMAC (134)

Yeah, but see, this is putting lipstick on a pig. You can fancy it up all you want, perfume, nail polish, bikini wax, whatever, but it's still a pig.

Any marginal or bad figure can be made passable by devoting tons of extra points to it by way of feats and a posse. Can LE OMAC 5674 be made playable and potentially even good by adding feats and a pit crew? Sure, but that's not the point. All I'm saying is that if you want to play a good OMAC, by virtue of the figures effectiveness for the points the E seems like the best choice. He stands up well on his own (without feats and a pit crew) and I can bring a 41 point (or less) friend along for the same cost as the LE. In a even points match between E OMAC and his TBD friend versus LE OMAC, I'd be betting on the E OMAC team every time.

serioussam
05/26/2006, 13:20
don't get me wrong, my main point is that almost all team building is based around feats and that's that. Otherwise In Contact would not be selling for up to $15.
I will take 350 points of clix with 50 points of feats over a 400 point team any day.
In you defense I am sure you know much more about the game than I do, even so I am still entitled to my opinion.
serioussam

Does OMAC look better with lipstick or lip gloss?

tchipley
05/26/2006, 15:13
My 11 E OMAC's agree with ol_dut's assessment. E OMACs rule!

They outvoted my LE OMAC 11 to 1.

Gotta love democracy. :)

LeaLu
05/26/2006, 15:44
He stands up well on his own (without feats and a pit crew) and I can bring a 41 point (or less) friend along for the same cost as the LE. In a even points match between E OMAC and his TBD friend versus LE OMAC, I'd be betting on the E OMAC team every time.

41 points isn't anything to sneeze at when you're building a wildcard-focused team either, as it allows you to add an additional useful TA you might not have had room for before. For 35-45 points you could get:
V IC Bullseye, and the E OMAC can borrow his 11 attack.
R CT Invisible Girl + Alt. F4, and the E OMAC has a full dial of 18 defense.
E Icons Robin, and the E OMAC gets full-dial stealth.
LE Zatanna Zatara, and the E OMAC deals a click to you every time you hit him.
E Dr. Light or E Vixen, and the E OMAC heals 1d6-2 every time an adjacent figure is KO'ed.
E Dr. Mid-Nite, who gets to borrow E OMAC's 18 defense, or share his own if the OMAC is wounded.
LE Roy Harper, and he and the E OMAC can boost each other's AVs.
E Weather Wizard + The Society, so E OMAC has 50% Outwit immunity... okay, this one's a bit of a stretch.

serioussam
05/26/2006, 15:49
At least LE OMAC is a flying pig and not a grounded one, btw how is NGN Superman anybodies pit crew. You are usually right on in your reviews, but here I think you are a little out of wack (read-way off base). Remember "constructive criticism" is never bad.
Additionally I would love to play a game against the poor sod who does not use any feats on their team. They would cry.
Better reevaluate your lack of ability to withstand the opinions of others. As the review stands it is LE OMAV vs. Vet. OMAC.
Otherwise:
E Legacy Batman is better than the Vet or LE Versions from that set.
Lets not compare apples and oranges.
seriously,
serioussam
ps looking forward to a review of LE Clark Kent (Somebody wanted my Krypto for him and I had to laugh)

LeaLu
05/26/2006, 16:15
Otherwise:

Actually, E Legacy Batman is better than his LE from that set :)

ol_Dut
05/26/2006, 16:25
At least LE OMAC is a flying pig and not a grounded one, btw how is NGN Superman anybodies pit crew. You are usually right on in your reviews, but here I think you are a little out of wack (read-way off base). Remember "constructive criticism" is never bad.
Additionally I would love to play a game against the poor sod who does not use any feats on their team. They would cry.
Better reevaluate your lack of ability to withstand the opinions of others. As the review stands it is LE OMAV vs. Vet. OMAC.
Otherwise:
seriously,
serioussam
ps looking forward to a review of LE Clark Kent (Somebody wanted my Krypto for him and I had to laugh)

Obviously you have decided to really like the OMAC LE. I'm not sure what changed your mind from your first post on this thread, but good for you. I don't much like him, and it would appear that neither of us will bring the other around to his way of thinking. So you enjoy the LE, I'll enjoy my fleet of E's and then both of us will be happy. Good luck trading your spares ;) .

The OMAC review doesn't compare apples and oranges, it simple makes the brief argument that if I had to choose an OMAC to play, I'd play the Experienced because he's the best of the bunch. Kind of a twist there. The LE had to be compared to the Vet in terms of gains and losses, however, because that's the figure he's based on. See the logic?

Based on my style of play, and my view of the game in general, I don't care for figures that I feel need to be fixed with feats right out of the box so that I can play them. Personally, I rarely use feats. I'll use ICWO, but only on a Bat-themed team, and even then not every time. I'll use Autoregen, but only on Wolvie, Deadpool, Sabretooth and the General (because that's funny to me). I'll use Pounce on Spidey and Venom, because those two cats should have mobility. But that's it. I haven't had trouble winning games either. I realize that some people don't play that way, and that's great too. Some people like feats, and some people don't. They're an optional part of the game and are in no way necessary to win.

By the way, here's my Clark Kent LE review from a few weeks back:
Clark Kent (http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163428)

And LeaLu, thanks for the quick homework on that list of things to do with 41 points.

LeaLu
05/26/2006, 16:27
And LeaLu, thanks for the quick homework on that list of things to do with 41 points.

...or thereabouts- I don't think anyone on that list is more than 43 though. :)

serioussam
05/26/2006, 17:15
fair'nough

DOOMBOTSKI
05/26/2006, 20:39
Yeah, but see, this is putting lipstick on a pig. You can fancy it up all you want, perfume, nail polish, bikini wax, whatever, but it's still a pig.

You have been seeing my cousin again, haven't you?
What no shameless promotional plug for the local Pre-release?
Are you still planning on attending?
I will bring those figures you wanted.
Oh! I almost forgot, like I was mindwiped(Tegrof!). Great article as always!

Ando
05/30/2006, 00:42
Nice reviews. I think these figures can play nicely if used properly.

llyrghmnghyll
05/31/2006, 12:18

A RANDOM CHEESE TEAM:
LE OMAC (134)

The LE is better than the VET, who is mostly garbage compared to the E.

The reason I quoted this though was to ask why you are putting a 10 pt card on a figure who can't ever use it. I see this all the time, but it makes me wonder if the cards even get read. Nanobots specifically says 'PREREQUISITE: damage value 2 or less', and according to the latest rules clarification Prerequisites have to be met on the starting click (with the exception of Auto Regen).

I won Rex Mason in A fellowship, couldn't agree more. Probably one of the best secondaries in the JLA.

LeaLu
05/31/2006, 16:04
and according to the latest rules clarification Prerequisites have to be met on the starting click (with the exception of Auto Regen).

Can you provide a link to confirm this? I've seen or heard nothing of the sort. Last I knew, you just had to meet the prerequisite somewhere on your dial, without the assistance of any other cards or powers (like how Atom doesn't qualify for Taunt even though he could Perplex his own range up to 1).

llyrghmnghyll
06/01/2006, 02:31
Can you provide a link to confirm this? I've seen or heard nothing of the sort. Last I knew, you just had to meet the prerequisite somewhere on your dial, without the assistance of any other cards or powers (like how Atom doesn't qualify for Taunt even though he could Perplex his own range up to 1).

I think you may be right and our judge may have been ruling this wrong. I cannot find any backing for my statement and I apologize. However NGN Superman bottoms out at a 3 damage, and so he still cannot benefit from Nanobots.

IronAmerica
06/04/2006, 19:55
Well i have jsut returned from WWE (Philadelphia) and lets just say omac isnt all that good. Shortly after buying him and playing against a friend i returned to the convention center and sold him to a vendor. Hes not like wut people say he is... at all.