Marquee Primer HeroClix A to Z – Sinister Marquee Primer: Part 3 - Rares [Archive] - HeroClix Realms

PDA

View Full Version : Marquee Primer HeroClix A to Z – Sinister Marquee Primer: Part 3 - Rares

AZS
06/14/2006, 09:22
Welcome to the Sinister Marquee/Prerelease Primer Review!!

Part 3: Rares

http://www.hcrealms.com/temp/rad-man.jpg
“Up and at them!”

Even though the ‘street date’ of this set isn’t for a few more weeks, the Pre-Release is coming up this weekend! With an expanded number of locations getting to run prerelease tournaments, many more of us will get a chance to play with this set before the official release!

Therefore

Here’s the review schedule:

Part 1 - Commons (http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167742)
Part 2 – Uncommons (http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167816)
Part 3 – Rares
Part 4 – Uniques (Thurs)
Part 5 – Cards & Special Objects (Fri)

These reviews are intended for sealed, 300 point games with only this set.
Also, even though some may believe that Sinister is a somewhat ‘weaker’ set in the grand scheme, this review series is written with the intent and mindset of this being a Sinister-only tournament. So figures may be stronger or weaker in this circumstance.

Click on ‘Replies’ below to read the review.

AZS
06/14/2006, 09:24
Welcome to yet another Primer Review!

We are getting another ‘theme’ set, this time focusing on the villains of the Marvel U (more specifically, Spider-man and NYC villains).

There aren’t many ‘power pieces’ in this set, so just about anything you pull should make for a relatively balanced team.
Many of the figures are also not too pricey, so you’ll probably end up with a fair sized army when all the dust clears.

Standard Intro:
This review and rating system is for a 300 point, 3 booster Sealed event only. Using a (new) Smiley :) rating system.

:confused: – Steer clear of this figure.
:disappoin:disappoin – Not so good. Should be considered with caution.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: – Fair. Based on how you need to fill out a team.
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: – Good. Definitely consider this figure.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: – Great! Should be a top choice for your team.

These figures are compared only against the Sinister set, so there will be only a few 1 or 5 smiley ratings here.
So please realize that even though your favorite character might not have gotten five smileys like you think it should, I’m just trying to be fair.

Everything written here is in the most general form possible.
Since the specific combination of figures pulled will work together to determine which are more playable than others.

Lastly, this review is just my opinion. And these are a lot of work to write, so I ask you very kindly, please don’t get angry at me for my ratings. I give reasonable explanations for each choice. If you disagree (and you are welcome to do so), please try to do the same.

Part 3 – Rares

Radioactive Man
66 – MoE / 72 / 80 – Avengers
With the glut of high defenses, Poison will be a very good way to knock the opposition down a peg. (Of course it doesn’t work against Toughness.) Add in RM’s Impervious first click and he can be a very useful, very durable figure. Also keep an eye out for the rookie’s last click with 4 damage and 10 AV.
The Exp is similarly useful, again thanks to Poison and Impervious. He’s also a fairly capable attacker, with an odd mid dial boost.
The first click of Poison is lost in the Vet, replaced by PsyBlast, which may or may not be useful on a grounded fig. If you’re not keen on the PB, push him once to get to a very nice click with 10 AV, 4 damage, and back to Poison. The rest of his dial is solid as well, and he’s very reasonably priced at just 80 points.
R – :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
E – :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
V – :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Captain Marvel / Photon / Pulsar
58 / 76 / 104 – All Avengers
Running Shot is nice, but a short dial and low AV seriously detract from it. With a glut of powers she’ll probably never get to use, the rookie is 58 points that might do you well, or might go down in flames.
The Exp is quite a bit better thanks to HyperSonic Speed, better AV and Damage – An all around good deal for 76 points.
The Vet is similarly useful, except that Incapacitate bloats her cost without doing much for her playability. (Incap can’t be used with HSS.) You might be swayed by the 10 AV and HSS, and who could blame you, but 104 points is a lot to spend on a fig only 6 clicks deep.
R – :disappoin:disappoin

Rhino
57 / 79 – SinSyn / 95
Even though mobility is probably the most important aspect of the game, the ability to move and attack is severely diminished if the attacker can’t actually hit anything. Even against an ‘average’ 16 defense, Rhino will need an above average roll of 8 to hit. And this is assuming he can get to his target without getting hit himself.
For all of the rookie’s shortcomings, Rhino doesn’t fare much better in the Exp who is equally hindered but for ~20 more points.
The Vet finally steps up with a playable 9 AV, and Impervious, so he’s not a bad choice. But look past the R & E, they should be put out to pasture.
E – :confused:

Whizzer / Speed Demon
36 – SinSyn / 45 – SinSyn / 53 – Avengers
Wow, 36 points for a fig with HSS! Yeah he has a lame 8 AV, but for only 36 points and the ability to hit and run away its worth the try. Plus his 15+ES/D might make him hard enough to hit that he’ll stick around for a while (or make a useful blocker.)
The Exp is more of the same, still with the low AV, but also still at a reasonable cost. If you have any Perplex on the team, that makes Speed Demon a viable option.
With a better starting AV of 9 and pretty good overall dial, the Vet is also a steal at 53 points. He’ll be a great nuisance piece to start, and after he pushes or takes a hit, he’s cheap enough to throw away as a tie up piece.
V – :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

DareDevil
38 / 66 – Spiderman / 76
Starting off with a moderate dial is ok when he’s so cheap. R DD makes a great tie up / attack piece. Put him in close to use CCE and hope for the Super Senses rolls.
Thanks to a 10 AV and Stealth, the Exp is quite a bit better and still reasonably priced at 66 points. His Wildcard TA will also be very useful, particularly to all the SinSyn figures that could use the AV boost DD offers.
The vet is similarly nice thanks to a high defense, good damage, and Incap. He has a solid 6 range for his attacks, but because he switches to CCE on click #3, you’ll want to get him in close early on. Starting Outwit is just icing on an otherwise great fig.
E – :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Meggan
53 / 63 – X-men / 87 – X-men
Look, yet more starting Perplex! At least Meggan also offers an attack option with Charge + Super Strength. And don’t forget her Shape Change later on.
Since Perplex will be so crucial, you could use Meggan as a perplexing taxi early on, and then charge in to hit when her low AV has a better chance. (Then if you take a hit back and lose Perplex, it doesn’t dash the chances of the rest of your team.)
Exp starts with Shape Change instead, but also has Charge w/ B/C/F plus a nice mid dial AV spike that helps keep her AV healthy for most of her dial. Look out for late dial Battle Fury that will nerf her (short) ranged attack, and Earthbound. On the upside though, her ending defense spikes at 17, which is hard enough to hit early in the game, let alone at the end.
Switching things up yet again, Running Shot is an interesting choice for the Vet. Odd as it may be, her real asset is the 18 defense. She doesn’t have the AV spike of her Exp, but does get end of dial Perplex for some much needed help. Still, she’s questionable for the hefty 87 points.
R – :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
E – :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
V – :disappoin:disappoin

Bullseye
34 / 48 / 65
Holy cow! This is the figure you want to pull. RCE, 8 range, 10 (!) AV, all for just 34 points! I’ll take 2 please.
There’s a nice change up for the Exp who starts with Running Shot, 17 defense and Willpower, plus base 3 damage and a solid AV. He’s a downright bargain for under 50 points.
But if you’re lucky enough to pull the Vet then you’re really in a good place for this Marquee. His 11 AV is one of the few in the entire set, plus the double target will allow him to hedge his bets (or ping high defense figs for 1 so your other figs can follow up.) His overall dial is strong, with few, but key powers and solid stats.
R – :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
E – :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
V – :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Kraven
48 – SinSyn / 56 / 79 – SinSyn
Starting off as a perfectly average piece, rookie Kraven is hit or miss depending on what you need for the rest of your team. His <50 point cost should be easy to fit on a team, although he won’t necessarily bring much to the mix. At best, he might be able to lend his 9 AV to other SinSyn members who start with less.
There’s also not a lot of Stealth in this set, so if you’re willing to push him once to get on his Stealth click, he could be a good blocker.
The Exp is a much better offensive piece for not a lot more points. Charge with fair 9 AV and 3 damage is pretty good for the cost. He also has some decent powers down the length of his dial, including Outwit, CCE, and end of dial Stealth for protection.
Finishing the trio out nicely though is the Vet. His starting Stealth/Outwit combo is excellent for this set, as is his 10 AV and SinSyn TA. He’s also a capable attacker with 3 damage and Incap. Push him once to get to Perplex and he continues to support his team (and doesn’t lose the 10 AV.) Vet solid for just under 80 points.

Check back tomorrow for the Uniques.

Caff32
06/14/2006, 09:26
great as always!

Vevilaughs
06/14/2006, 10:00
I think I am a little more excited by Vet Meggan then you are. Because we will be playing on that convoluted Sinister Map, here starting click of RS will make her an excellent piece. Her 18 DV, with +1 for Hindering will be very unlikely to get hit by most of the figures in this set. And with a wildcard or another x-men fig, you can keep her going on that click.

The only thing I fear more is a Photon/Radioactive Man combo that can move that Poison to the other side so effectively. Poison will be very influential in this pre-release. Especially with the shorter dials on most of these figures.

hair10
06/14/2006, 10:14
After using the Exp Meggan in the envoy only game at WWE I can verify that she is indeed awesomeness. She's useful throughout her entire dial and more than worth her point cost.

MadCap#1
06/14/2006, 10:16
It seems the rares in this set are not as hot as the lower level pieces. This will make the play I believe more competitive as some of the better pieces will be more accessible.

Captain_Comet
06/14/2006, 11:51
It seems the rares in this set are not as hot as the lower level pieces. This will make the play I believe more competitive as some of the better pieces will be more accessible.

I don't feel the order in which their listed effects their rarety as much as their experience ring. Rookie & Exp. Spider-Man are listed as uncommon, and Vet. Spider-Man is listed as rare.

SHIELD Trooper and Sniper are listed as common, and SHIELD Agent is listed as an uncommon. Conderdering what I've observed, from recent sealed events (AW & CD), I would say that's a little closer to what we'll get.

shin-goji
06/14/2006, 12:14
As per usual, the rares are the new Uniques.

Cole Burns
06/14/2006, 12:21
I want a Bullseye so freaking bad. He was my favorite from IC and it's nice to see he'll still kick @$$.

Gamera
06/14/2006, 12:30
great article AZS

I hope I pull a Bullseye!

olcottr
06/14/2006, 12:44
I hope that they're not basing Rhino's lousy AV against the fact he has trouble hitting Spiderman. sigh, I was really looking forward to the 616 Rhino.

SinSyn's not going to help (because of Charge) unless you first locate a high AV SinSyn (or E Daredevil) near your target. Not exactly a smart move.

ol_Dut
06/14/2006, 14:04
I think it's a really interesting thing to note that Bullseye, a very low cost figure is one of the best pieces in the set. Where are the monsters? And even though he may not be one of the best figures, I'm very happy to see a pretty solid Radioactive Man. And if that darn Vet Daredevil was a wildcard, he'd be a nearly perfect piece.

Great write up!

Mr. Pilkington
06/14/2006, 14:05
I don't feel the order in which their listed effects their rarety as much as their experience ring. Rookie & Exp. Spider-Man are listed as uncommon, and Vet. Spider-Man is listed as rare.

SHIELD Trooper and Sniper are listed as common, and SHIELD Agent is listed as an uncommon. Conderdering what I've observed, from recent sealed events (AW & CD), I would say that's a little closer to what we'll get.

I'm not sure what WizKids means on their rarity listings. Azs follows the normal cradle color division of figures. Since about set 4 of Heroclix the various rarity levels have been shown by figure cradle colors. Clear cradle figures are "commons" and appear twice in a booster. Green cradles are usually the "uncommon" figures, appearing once per pack and white cradles are tyhe "rare" figures, appearing once per pack. The rares are actually more rare due to the fact that the uniques (blue cradles) usually take the place of the white cradle rare when you pull a unique. How the WizKids listed rarity fits into this I don't know.

In my CD case I did see some interesting distribution patterns though. For "rare" cradle figures I got one full REV set plus a second R. For "uncommon" figures
I got two full REV sets. For common figures I got two full REV sets plus two more R figures. This pattern was close to 100% I believe (I know it was for uncommons and rares, might have had one figure deviate in commons).

And now I stop rambling about rarity conventions.

Wolverine_Hulk
06/14/2006, 15:09
Great job Azs!

Spy Master
06/14/2006, 16:42
After using the Exp Meggan in the envoy only game at WWE I can verify that she is indeed awesomeness. She's useful throughout her entire dial and more than worth her point cost.
And Having faced you at that envoy only game I can attest to that figures nastiness. I tried in vain to hit it with several figues and missed repeatedly, I will say that the Mary Jane pog proved her worth as well LOL . Made the Falcon cry like a little girl. LOL

Dirtybird
06/14/2006, 19:52
And Having faced you at that envoy only game I can attest to that figures nastiness. I tried in vain to hit it with several figues and missed repeatedly, I will say that the Mary Jane pog proved her worth as well LOL . Made the Falcon cry like a little girl. LOL
WhooHoooo!!!!
Of all the figures I "don't" know, E Meggen was the one I wanted the most. Throw a camoflage on her and I think she will RULE!!! Radioactive man didn't look like much just looking at the dial but sealed is a whole different animal from constructed.

GroovyBoy
06/15/2006, 02:25
I don't think I've said too much on these particular threads before, but Azs' primers have helped me plenty since he's been posting them. His analysis, when coupled with whatever "environmental/venue" choices, have helped me secure many a Marquee win. I just wish he'd drink a little more...

HailMagneto
06/15/2006, 16:34
Props for the Simpsons reference.

ChubbyChalupa
06/16/2006, 23:35
I want a Bullseye!!!!! And I aslo like the Vet Kraven with Stealth and Outwit!!