Marquee Primer HeroClix A to Z – Sinister Marquee Primer: Part 4 – Uniques [Archive] - HeroClix Realms

PDA

View Full Version : Marquee Primer HeroClix A to Z – Sinister Marquee Primer: Part 4 – Uniques

AZS
06/15/2006, 09:42
HeroClix A to Z – Sinister Marquee Primer: Part 4 – Uniques

Welcome to the Sinister Marquee/Prerelease Primer Review!!

Part 4: Uniques

http://www.hcrealms.com/temp/wolv.jpg
Ahh! He’s comin’ right at us!!

Even though the ‘street date’ of this set isn’t for a few more weeks, the Pre-Release is coming up this weekend! With an expanded number of locations getting to run prerelease tournaments, many more of us will get a chance to play with this set before the official release!

Therefore

Here’s the review schedule:

Part 1 - Commons (http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167742)
Part 2 – Uncommons (http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167816)
Part 3 – Rares (http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167884)
Part 4 – Uniques
Part 5 – Cards & Special Objects (Fri)

These reviews are intended for sealed, 300 point games with only this set.
Also, even though some may believe that Sinister is a somewhat ‘weaker’ set in the grand scheme, this review series is written with the intent and mindset of this being a Sinister-only tournament. So figures may be stronger or weaker in this circumstance.

Click on ‘Replies’ below to read the review.

AZS
06/15/2006, 10:09
Welcome to yet another Primer Review!

We are getting another ‘theme’ set, this time focusing on the villains of the Marvel U (more specifically, Spider-man and NYC villains).

There aren’t many ‘power pieces’ in this set, so just about anything you pull should make for a relatively balanced team.
Many of the figures are also not too pricey, so you’ll probably end up with a fair sized army when all the dust clears.

Standard Intro:
This review and rating system is for a 300 point, 3 booster Sealed event only. Using a (new) Smiley :) rating system.

:confused: – Steer clear of this figure.
:disappoin:disappoin – Not so good. Should be considered with caution.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: – Fair. Based on how you need to fill out a team.
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: – Good. Definitely consider this figure.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: – Great! Should be a top choice for your team.

These figures are compared only against the Sinister set, so there will be only a few 1 or 5 smiley ratings here.
So please realize that even though your favorite character might not have gotten five smileys like you think it should, I’m just trying to be fair.

Everything written here is in the most general form possible.
Since the specific combination of figures pulled will work together to determine which are more playable than others.

Lastly, this review is just my opinion. And these are a lot of work to write, so I ask you very kindly, please don’t get angry at me for my ratings. I give reasonable explanations for each choice. If you disagree (and you are welcome to do so), please try to do the same.

Part 4 – Uniques

Part 4 – Uniques

Forge
84 – X-men
Forge is chock full of useful powers, both offense and defense, which is what you’d expect from the X-men’s tinkerer. In this format it makes him very useful. Starting with Running Shot and Outwit are great, but then later on his Perplex, Support, and even leadership are all equally useful. His late dial AV bump is also helpful for keeping him playable, and also pops up on one of his Support clicks so he’s more likely to be able to heal a teammate.
U – :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Purple Man
This figure might be a little hard to pull off successfully in this format. He’s the kind of piece that you really need to build a strategy around. 3 target MC can be cool, but his low starting AV might hamper that. Of course you could use his triple target to hedge your bets, but in case you actually hit all your targets he could take some massive feedback damage. (on the other hand, that could end up putting him on his best click with 10 AV.)
Ultimately though, Purple Man is just too hard to pull off for his rather high cost. As a full third of your team, he isn’t good enough to really pull his weight in a game where you won’t have the ability to specifically build a team to take advantage of him.
U – :disappoin:disappoin

Maximus
Not since Brother Blood have we seen such a well intentioned dud of a unique.
All the elements are there to make a good character, they just don’t coalesce into anything remotely useful. For his 109 points you get a bunch of utility powers, some damage reducing defenses, and a few other interesting powers, but none of it adds up to much. As a third of your team’s cost, his starting 9 AV and 3 damage are woefully average, and when he does get to a couple of clicks with 10 AV they’re at lackluster points on his dial.
All around this is a fig you’ll want to steer clear of for the Marquee (and probably afterward too). Some might be lured in by his starting click of TK, but that’s a lot of points to pay for a questionable fig in a support role.
U – :confused:

Baron Strucker
74 – Hydra
Between his Stealth, Mastermind and 17 defense, Strucker will be a very difficult piece to take down in this tournament. However, that doesn’t mean he’s a ‘must play.’ With only a 4 range and no movement powers, and opponent can just ignore him and make him bring the fight to them.
If you do play him, his offense is fair for his cost, with a variety of attack powers and a bunch of utility powers as well. Your best bet will be to have him carried by some cheaper flying fig that he can also shirk damage to with Mastermind.
If you face him and see this tactic in play, go for the Mastermind fodder, it’ll undoubtedly be easier to hit than Strucker, and if you can take that out, he’ll start taking damage (if you can hit him.) Or better yet, just leave Strucker stranded and focus on the rest of his team.
U – :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Charcoal
90 – Avengers
The Briquette has a fairly deep dial for his cost, and a variety of cool powers down the length of his clicks, unfortunately his AV is in the toilet for most of it. He doesn’t really get playable until the very end of his dial, which is too late to be of any use.
Up front though, the first click with 4 damage and 17 Invulnerable defense is appealing.
If you do face Charcoal though, the way to handle him is to deal a few clicks of damage right away (if you can hit him) and then leave him alone when he gets to clicks 3 – 5. It’s not worth the effort to keep trying to hit his 17 defense or Impervious. Instead just leave him be and force him to push to get to his later (better) clicks, thus getting past those hard to hit clicks for you (or else, he can flail around trying to hit you with his 7 AV.) Or just leave him as the last piece you take out so even if he gets better, it will be hard to take advantage of.
This is definitely a piece that will be much more effort to KO than the 90 points you’ll get for the exertion. He’s also offensively weak for being almost a third of your team.
What this all boils down to is the people who know his dial will know better than to play him. And those who don’t know his dial (and thus choose to play him) won’t know how play him effectively at all.
U – :disappoin:disappoin

Wolverine
94 – X-men
Even Wolverine can’t catch a break in this set, maxing out with only a 10 AV. (sigh)
Still, he’s one of the better pieces here thanks to a bunch of good power and stat combos. Starting Charge with 4 damage is nice (and better than relying on Blades’ randomness.) Unfortunately he also starts with Battle Fury, so he can’t be carried into battle and will have to make his way on his own.
His second click is also very nice, with Charge and Exploit Weakness. And from there his powers vary just about every click. Be on the look out for Blades & EW, a killer combo, but backed by only an 8 AV. When playing him (or playing against him) make sure to keep an eye on the Battle Fury, you don’t want to carry him anywhere and then have the move challenged a turn later.
This could be a 5 star piece if it wasn’t for the starting click limitation from Battle Fury. As is, it will take him a long time to get into position to attack, and he’ll probably end up pushing to do so.
In a constructed game where you can use TK, he’s great, but in this format that Battle Fury is a real sticky wicket.
U – :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nick Fury
63 – SHIELD
Yet more Stealth, and this time on an interesting dial layout. Leadership should come in handy here, thanks to all the low cost pieces in the set. His otherwise average 9, 17, 3 is so-so. However, push him once and he gets to the good stuff. Better AV, Willpower (so he can’t push off a click again), and Outwit are all great. This is the click to stay on, which shouldn’t be too tough thanks to his longer range, Stealth and high defense. Anyone who does make the effort to KO him will only get 63 points. On the other hand, after you push onto his good click he only has 5 clicks of life left, so it really won’t take much to put him down.
Overall though, if you remember to push onto his second click (and can manage to stay there for a while) Nick will be a real asset to any team.

Arkon
“All hail King Arkon the first!” (Anyone else here watch Stargate?)
Anyway, despite his silly appearance, this is a pretty strong figure for this set. He starts with a 9 AV and… 18(!) defense :), plus base 4 damage and Leadership. Phasing is also nice for mobility, but not as good as Running Shot on click 2.
Pushing him to his second click gets him the move & shoot power, plus a bump in AV up to 10. On the down side, damage and defense each drop a point. Because of this, rather than push him to his second click right away, try to take advantage of his first click and push to press an attack (rather than just wasting the click.) This actually works with Phasing; move one turn to get into position, and push the next to attack.
Later he gets Charge, but base damage is down to just 2 with the contradictory RCE power. This wouldn’t be so bad except that as a grounded figure, he has a good chance of RCE being negated after he charges into close combat.
The rest of his dial is fairly typical, but look out for the increase in defense towards the end.

Kazar
A very nice figure for only 40 points. Blades is a strong starting power, and his 17 defense + ES/D ought to keep him pretty safe as he moves up. Charge for the next three clicks is great, and his AV even bumps up to 10 a couple clicks in. More Blades and Flurry round him out, and he has (the somewhat typical at this point) end of dial defense up swing.
He’s not an offensive giant, and doesn’t really scream ‘play me’ for any reason, so its hard to rate him above 4 smilies, but what he provides for only 40 points – he’s a solid 4 smilies.

Scarlet Spider
86 – Spider-man
Yadda yadda, 9 AV/17 def, yadda yadda. Ben Parker at least stands out for keeping his 9 av for an impressive 4 clicks! So he’s eminently pushable. That gives you plenty of options for what click you prefer him on: Starting high damage with RCE, the strategic advantage of Outwit, or perhaps Super Strength and Plasticity are more your thing? However it works for you, feel free to push because he’s very steady with a deep dial. His Spidey wildcard TA is a bonus on an already very nice dial.
The only thing keeping him from being a 5 smiley piece is the 9 AV (hey, you gotta draw the line somewhere.)

Stilt Man
57 – SinSyn
Well, he starts with Charge and Super Strength, plus base 3 damage – so if you do manage to pull off a hit, he can hit big. Unfortunately as a Giant Figure everyone on the board can draw LOS to him, making him vulnerable to Outwit, and every Tom, ####, and Harry with a ranged attack. His 16 defense and 6 click dial make him a very easy target. Don’t expect him to last more than a few turns into any game.
Beyond that, he rates low just on principle. Until I hold one in my hand, I’m still holding out hope that this figure is an elaborate joke.

Black Bolt
Despite his high cost, Black Bolt is actually playable in this format. Not because he’s an amazingly great figure (he’s particularly average), bur rather because he’s relatively better than the other pieces in this set.
He’s one of only two in the set with a 10 range, and that alone should allow him some protection on the board.
Don’t put too much stock in his starting 17 defense, if an opponent is determined enough to hit him, they eventually will (and for 166 points, they’ll be very determined). Instead, protect BB with some fodder piece like a Shield trooper or Pog to block LOS from an expected attacker, and use his Defend power to protect them. And if you have a fig with ES/D, they’ll get a huge boost from his Defend.
Like most other figures, BB’s ability to front your team will depend largely on who else you pull to go with him. He’s not a big enough threat to front a team alone so you’ll need at least 1 good secondary attacker. But with so many decent low cost pieces in Sinister that shouldn’t be too hard to find.
All in all though, Black Bolt is the champ of the set, but it’s akin to; In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. Or in his case, in the land of the Mute…

Check back tomorrow for the final installment; Feats, BFCs, Pogs, and a very special object.

italian_thug
06/15/2006, 10:22
Great Review ;)

Go Scarlet Spider, Go!!!

absolutvt69
06/15/2006, 10:30
Good call on Nick Fury. I think he will be very useful in sealed given his relative low cost and the fact that there are no Ultimates in the set to negate his stealth. I think Black Bolt will do well too because of his range, damage, and attack value and the fact that you can afford to put a couple other decent figures on there with him.

Stuart_Rex
06/15/2006, 10:30
Black Bolt and Kazar. What a team.

ol_Dut
06/15/2006, 10:35
Nice review! I think Nick Fury is the piece to get out of this lot of uniques. Black Bolt will be fun to play in constructed/theme teams, but in this format he may be too much of a liability at the cost of just over half of your team.

Wolverine's a pretty decent piece, and overall I don't think the Battle Fury will hurt him too much. With only three figures in the set that start with TK (E&V Wizard and Maximus are all I can think of) mobility is going to be an issue for alot of folks which should kind of level things out for Wolverine. And that Prison map will give him a number of places to hole up while he gets into position.

Thanks for the great reviews of this entire set!

Corwin
06/15/2006, 10:36
Is anyone else able to see the dials for Purple Man and Kazar on the WK site? :ermm: It's a very interesting collection of Uniques, neh? From low cost to moderately high, with the few exceptions azs has ably noted, they could be fun to play in sealed rather than set aside for some vague constructed future event.

Uniquist
06/15/2006, 10:41
How does Black Bolt not rate 5 smileys? He's awesome in this set and quite useful in the clix universe. 10 range (when only V bullseye also has 10 range). Perplex (which you use to justify V Spidey's rating), which Bolt has for *4* clicks. Running Shot/4 damage is going to peg any target he wants when he wants. Spidey has to move into position. Yeah, he's 166 points but he'll have help. He's also got outwit later, pb and that late dial defense power and AV/dmg spike.

Your 5 stars figs (which I agree with) are:
E Shield Trooper
V Valkyre
E Multiple Max
V Spider man (I would have only given him a strong 4 but I can see your reasons)
All 3 Bullseyes

Black bolt has *gotta* be on that list. Or are you just trying to get your opponents *not* to play him? Sneaky ;->

C'mon, give Bolt 5. He'll cry if you don't. And his tears can level cities, too. OK, small cities.....

Uniquist
06/15/2006, 10:43
I'd like to add that there's *so little* TK, that RS/10 range is even more better good. Yeah, I said it. 5 For Black Bolt ! 5 for Black Bolt !

HailMagneto
06/15/2006, 10:46
Another great review. These have been really helpful, thanks!

AZS
06/15/2006, 10:55
Why no 5 for Black Bolt?

Largely it has to do with his cost. Spidey and Bullseye are good figures, made better because they’re cheap for what they do.
Black Bolt is good, but he’s hindered by his excessive cost.
Besides that, his lack of damage reducers is a huge drawback for a figure that cost this much. If he were around 150, or if he had Inv to start, he’d rate higher.
As stated, his Defend doesn’t count for a whole lot where there are already so many 17’s in the set.
He’ll be fun in constructed play, particularly in larger games and when you can assign feats to him (Nova Blast anyone?), but in this format and this set, he just doesn’t justify 5 smiley. (IMO)

Then again, if someone wants to play him, my rating of “only” 4 smileys isn’t going to stop them. So really its just academic at this point anyway.

Jason Blood
06/15/2006, 10:59
Why no 5 for Black Bolt?

my reason is that he has no starting damage reducer

having a high cost figure open like that isn't really good

DS-00-0, FSD
06/15/2006, 11:24
Stilt Man
57 – SinSyn
Well, he starts with Charge and Super Strength, plus base 3 damage – so if you do manage to pull off a hit, he can hit big. Unfortunately as a Giant Figure everyone on the board can draw LOS to him, making him vulnerable to Outwit, and every Tom, ####, and Harry with a ranged attack.

Yeah, but that's easy to fix. Just take out the leg extensions and he's a normal sized figure and can hide behind other characters.

;)

Uniquist
06/15/2006, 11:26
Why no 5 for Black Bolt?

Largely it has to do with his cost. Spidey and Bullseye are good figures, made better because they’re cheap for what they do.
Black Bolt is good, but he’s hindered by his excessive cost.
Besides that, his lack of damage reducers is a huge drawback for a figure that cost this much. If he were around 150, or if he had Inv to start, he’d rate higher.
As stated, his Defend doesn’t count for a whole lot where there are already so many 17’s in the set.
He’ll be fun in constructed play, particularly in larger games and when you can assign feats to him (Nova Blast anyone?), but in this format and this set, he just doesn’t justify 5 smiley. (IMO)

Then again, if someone wants to play him, my rating of “only” 4 smileys isn’t going to stop them. So really its just academic at this point anyway.

What? You mean everyone doesn't take your reviews as THE WORD? I know I do....mostly ;->

If he was 150 pts, I'd put him at 6 smileys! And he's for sure a Nova Blast pig.

Seriously though, yes, he doesn't start with damage reducers, but he's going to be able to hit pretty much whoever he wants on the opposing team *before* they can hit him. Perhaps for 4 clicks, perhaps for 5. With only 2 characters with support (one the unique Forge, one the Hydra guy), that damage will likely stick. Black Bolt just has to target his biggest threat, either high attack value, or long range. Only Pulsar/Photan outranges him, technically? And she just costs too much...I think.

His Defend could end up being wasted, it's true. But my point is (and I just realized what my point was...) about not having damage reducers is that he won't need them.

I'm sure *anyone* who pulls him will definitely play him with great success. There's not much that can stop him (so little stealth as well).

feluwelt
06/15/2006, 11:34
i agree cause of the upfront defend and not invulnerability for black bolt the 4 stars when black bolt gets invul his av drops to a 8 maybe hell get on his uber last click maybe not

anyway I have a stiltman so he is not an elaberate joke, but he is fun to build and make look silly cant wait to get 3 or 4 of him

ohh and baron strucker is a great piece

push him to his outwit then move him next to an opoenent and push to his combat reflexes poison and perplex he is a great dial 4 smileys at least

anonym0use
06/15/2006, 11:53
Call me crazy, but in this format I think both Stilt man and Paste Pot Pete/Trapster will be decent pieces... if used on the new Sinister map.

That extra square of adjacency that Giants have will come in handy for all the choke points on the map. Likewise Pete's barriers will be useful for blocking hallway traffic...

I figure a lot of people won't know, or will forget that Stilty is a giant, and may move to base him...If he's positioned right around a corner (out of LOS) it may throw a big wrench in your opponents plans as they position for attack, especially if they have charge pieces...

Besides, I'd play him just as a distraction... and really, If I win, what can my opponents say?

DS-00-0, FSD
06/15/2006, 12:08
anyway I have a stiltman so he is not an elaberate joke, but he is fun to build and make look silly cant wait to get 3 or 4 of him

Indeed. Got one at WWE.

New Guy Night Spidey is already glued to one of his leg extensions. Now I'm just waiting to get a Sinister Daredevil to see if he'll fit on the other one and I'm in business. :laugh:

tidge
06/15/2006, 12:43
ohh and baron strucker is a great piece

push him to his outwit then move him next to an opoenent and push to his combat reflexes poison and perplex he is a great dial 4 smileys at least

I'm with the F-man, I think Strucker might be a little limited on the closed up map, but in sealed play he should be a star...he'll play very well with the commons from this set.

I like the Forge dial, but I'm not seeing him as a four smiley figure, given the way the other X-men are distributed in sealed play and his cost.

MeatLoafX
06/15/2006, 12:44
Stilt Man deserves a 5 just because he's Stilt Man... and WK made him!!

I've seen that figure and he's awesome looking. I know his dial stinks, but he's a cheap giant figure and, on the new map, even Stilt Man is useful.

And, as I stated, he's Stilt Man.

5 stars!

ol_Dut
06/15/2006, 13:04
Indeed. Got one at WWE.

New Guy Night Spidey is already glued to one of his leg extensions. Now I'm just waiting to get a Sinister Daredevil to see if he'll fit on the other one and I'm in business. :laugh:

Very clever! I'm going to have to do this with a Stilt Man.

Now to just get an NGN Spidey, Stilt Man and Daredevil...

ludd_gang
06/15/2006, 13:11
Stilt Man deserves a 5 just because he's Stilt Man... and WK made him!!

I've seen that figure and he's awesome looking. I know his dial stinks, but he's a cheap giant figure and, on the new map, even Stilt Man is useful.

And, as I stated, he's Stilt Man.

5 stars!

Damm straight. If I didn't like reading the azs reviews so much, I'd boycott 'em for his failure to yield proper reverence to Stiltman! ;)

ludd_gang
06/15/2006, 13:12
Indeed. Got one at WWE.

I think mounting a Krypto on one of his legs would be a no-brainer too.

Uniquist
06/15/2006, 13:23
Or a couple of Clobberin' Time Elektras....
http://www.wizkidsgames.com/heroclix/marvel/figuregallery.asp?unitid=2716

Wolverine_Hulk
06/15/2006, 13:29
Why is Maximus only a one TK can be very valuable and only him and the Wizard have it? I guess it might be because of him being archenemies with Black Bolt.

AZS
06/15/2006, 13:58
Why is Maximus only a one TK can be very valuable and only him and the Wizard have it?I don't have the slightest clue what you're trying to say here... :confused:

Wolverine_Hulk
06/15/2006, 14:09
Let me rephrase it in english:

Why does Maximus only have one smiley when he and the Wizard are the only ones with TK?

absolutvt69
06/15/2006, 14:09
I don't have the slightest clue what you're trying to say here... :confused:

I'll translate... Why is Maximus only a 1 (smiley rated figure) when TK is so useful and he's one of only three figures in the set (Maximus, EV Wizard) that have it.

AZS
06/15/2006, 14:14
Let me rephrase it in english:

Why does Maximus only have one smiley when he and the Wizard are the only ones with TK?Ah, sorry.

From my review:
"Some might be lured in by his starting click of TK, but that’s a lot of points to pay for a questionable fig in a support role."

If you want to spend a third of your force build on a fig because it has 1 click of TK, that's cool. But once he's done tossing your other figs into battle, you've got 109 points of carp sitting in the back row wishing it was more useful.

Wolverine_Hulk
06/15/2006, 14:20
Yeah your right and plus the Sinister map isn't the best for TK.

6T9
06/15/2006, 14:46
Hummm, I don't know why a lot of people are clamoring to pull a T.K'er, the Sinister map drastically limits its usefulness. I would much rather play a barrier figure than a T.K'er, barrier seems a lot more useful on the Sinister map. A lot of old school playing dinosaurs are going to get the map (rug) pulled right from underneath them, if they are still thinking (after playing pervious pre-releases) that pulling a T.K'er is a must for field and first strike advantage.

Corwin
06/15/2006, 14:51
I think mounting a Krypto on one of his legs would be a no-brainer too.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don't mind the lack of 5 for doubleB, but you pointed out how a pog or lil guy to block LOS will make Defend useful, and Bolt's Perplex will help another figure by either upping AV or lowering an opponen'ts DV ... I want BB so bad anyway but if I get him in the Pre-Release or Marquee it's going to take a really bad rest-of-pull to convince me to leave him off the team. I made the mistake of leaving Magneto alone in Armor Wars; won't do it again! :devious:

Corwin
06/15/2006, 14:54
Another thought, from what someone else wrote: the way the rarer vets are distributed, you're more likely to pull Blackie than Vet Bullseye, right?!

Emberwild
06/15/2006, 14:56
I think you underestimate Purpleman. Super senses and Shape change on his first click. That is an awful lot to go through to hit him.

6T9
06/15/2006, 15:04
I don't think purple man will perform well in the pre-release...outwit super senses, then he will have a very slim chance a rolling a 6 for shape change (remember that the new shape change rules will not be in effect ;) ).

Wolverine_Hulk
06/15/2006, 15:06
But these reviews are for the Marquee.

6T9
06/15/2006, 15:12
I Know, I'm just trying to get people in a mind set for the pre-release that will take place this weekend. Thank you for your reply though, and yes, you are right too.

absolutvt69
06/15/2006, 15:31
I think you underestimate Purpleman. Super senses and Shape change on his first click. That is an awful lot to go through to hit him.

I think Purple Man will be good in constructed play but in sealed he's just got too much going against him. Plus he's either going to have to do a lot of mind controlling (and probably take damage) or plink away at you since he has a pitiful base damage. W/ the right team I think he could be really useful but in a sealed event you aren't likely to pull the "right" team for him.

Monkey Joe
06/15/2006, 15:43
What? Stiltman only got a :confused: . I would definatley play him with the right tie up pieces and wildcard pieces. I think Azs is biased towards the character :p . Stilty gets :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: from me.

AlgertMan
06/15/2006, 16:55
Stiltman is a :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: and you know it

;)

AZS
06/15/2006, 17:03
Stiltman is the HC equivalent of making fun of some dorky kid in highschool by telling him he's cool and complimenting him on his pocket protector - except he doesn't realize he's being made fun of and thinks he's now part of the in crowd.

Stiltman is the "hey kid, cool slide rule!" and you're the kid.

Wolverine_Hulk
06/15/2006, 17:05
Just like Bagman.

Gumpold
06/15/2006, 17:18
you gotta love Black Bolt power combo of Defend and Pulse wave.

"Hey everybody, gather around and watch what I can do!" :cheeky:

zero_cochrane
06/15/2006, 18:03
I think that Black Bolt could work reallt well in sealed Sinister games.

10 range might be hard to fully exploit on the Sinister map, but a 5-range Pulse Wave is very handy. I'd try to Perplex up Black Bolt's damage and go for the single-target Pulse Wave - not many characters look good after five clicks through all their defensive powers.

Once Black Bolt has taken his shot, move a cheap character with ES/D to block line of fire to Black Bolt and benefit from his Defend. A S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent carrying a Hydra Technician would be ideal. :) Lockheed would also be 8 points of awesome! And they can benefit from Black Bolt's Perplex if they attack while he clears.

I would be very careful about using Nova Blast on Black Bolt in constructed games, myself. He's the first Running Shot/Pulse Wave/high damage chcracter that seems designed to work better without Nova Blast.

Which is rather clever, actually. Black Bolt is always reluctant to use his voice.

Phantom
06/15/2006, 18:09
you gotta love Black Bolt power combo of Defend and Pulse wave.

"Hey everybody, gather around and watch what I can do!" :cheeky:
But since he doesn't ignore his own powers and abilities, he can still give them the 17 defense!

At least, I think that's how it'd work.

The fig who I think was underrated is Charcoal. Yeah, his mid-dial offense blows, but that's also when he picks up Barrier and moves to offense. It's been stated elsewhere, but Barrier is going to be an awesome power to have on this map. You actually want to push him on those clicks, so you can keep them up for two out of three turns. When Barrier fades, he picks up Impervious and moves back to being a brick.

Dirtybird
06/15/2006, 18:15
My perfect pull would be Black Bolt, V Mockingbird, E Meggan, Vault, and Camoflage. Anything else added on will be pure sauce! Use Mockingbird to tie up people while BB uses running shot to single target PW them. I love it!

Sigdr
06/15/2006, 19:23
I think Maximus is being undersold. He starts off with a respectable TK and Outwit ability, and some pretty random Invuln. Get into base contact and then push him (or take a hit for 3) for some pretty sweet Quake with 10 attack (TKing a tie-up fig forward should make sure he stays out of the crosshairs long enough to get there)...and he gets to keep his Outwit. After that he's into Perplex, and he should still be standing in front of your opponent's team so even if he lands on that awful 6 attack on click 4, you can make him a consistent problem by basing your opponents and taking wild swings with a 7-attack Quake or perplexing his teammates. I reccomend having a decent flying fig nearby that can start soaking up Mastermind damage near the end of his dial, especially when he gets to the 10 attack MC. Sure, his range is only 6, but it should be fairly late-game at this point and if you've been playing his Quake agressively, there should be no lack of targets. Just try to MC smaller guys so he doesn't kill himself or land on that useless last click and he should do fairly well as a clean-up guy where your opponent's figs, who will generally have fairly constant AVs, should be able to hit each other no matter how big or small they are.

I'm not saying he's good or great, especially in a 300 point match...with a fragile dial, Maximus works best when he isn't the only threat based with the opponent's figs...but I'd rate him at a low-end 3 or high-end 2 instead of the 1 you rated him at.

mr-coffin
06/15/2006, 23:52
Stiltman rules!

the itsy bit
06/16/2006, 04:52
on this map the Siltman definately is a :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

he can tie up figs with the best and If your opponent has 1 fig with range, he can charge that one first.
they aren't going to look pretty after 5 clicks...

Ro-gan
06/16/2006, 20:40
Nice review!

There are not many figures I want from this set. U Wolverine and a couple others. I got my U Wolvie at WWE thanks to MSU!

Wolverine_Hulk
06/16/2006, 20:54
I got my U Wolvie at WWE thanks to MSU!

I don't think that was the only thing you got.

Charaxes
06/16/2006, 22:22
Stilt Man

The most accurate rating ever...

sayanything11
06/18/2006, 06:41
Sure Black Bolt starts with Defend, but I think everyone might be forgetting another high cost piece that starts with Defend.... KC Wonder Woman. Everyone thought starting with an 18 defense and defend (instead of something like impervious) would make her weak - but no, she regularly takes out her KC counterparts... umm, like...Bat Sentry...

tidge
06/18/2006, 17:46
Here are my views playing against these guys...I didn't pull any, so I cannot comment on playing with them.

Nick Fury

Kazar

Stilt Man

Black Bolt

Nick Fury and KaZar are solid 4 star figures....most troubling is Nick Fury's ability to knock down walls at range, or contribute SHIELD actions to allow other to do so. Given their cost and abilities, they are solid contributions to almost any team.

Black Bolt deserves his rating, IMO...but he needs to have a good team of low-point figures to best get the use of his Running Shot/Perplex and Shared Defense starting click. As others have said, this is a very powerful finesse piece. In constructed events, and on more open maps, I think he'll be much more vulnerable (given the common 11+ AV, Trick Shot-sporting Hawkeyes) but in the Marquee, he'll still be the figure to beat.

Stilt Man is no joke. Trying to remember all the giant rules (I forgot one until the bitter end, and it almost cost me the tourney) is problematic...but he was Force Blasting figures of mine left and right...until he succumbed to Jewel's ranged attack. He has two classic weaknesses: ranged combat and (cheap)fliers...but if he sweeps in during the second wave, he can REALLY control those small corridors. Compared to other figures in the reviews, I'd rank him a solid 3 stars.

Mr. Pilkington
06/19/2006, 15:27
I had good luck with Stiltman in a Battle Royal on Saturday (we had 17 people at the prerelease, so excess boosters when to a battle royal). Playing on the indoor Indy Map he hid behind blocking box columns with a heavy object and then charged out to clock people. He was very effective as an alpha strike in that capacity, surviving the first round untouched and KOing a Nick Fury (who started the second round one click down) in one massive hit. Sure, he got shot up after that and I don't think he hit anything again, but he did his job. Having such a b-grade villain pull something like that off was lots of fun.

RC212
06/20/2006, 14:20
I really wish you would have given the Scarlet Spider a worse review so it would be eaiser to get