The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: Prince Brion Markov (Geo-Force)! [Archive] - HeroClix Realms

PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: Prince Brion Markov (Geo-Force)!

ol_Dut
06/15/2006, 11:05
Considering his attitude and behavior, itís strange for Batman to have a partner let alone start a bona fide team. Yet decades ago, thanks to some creative magic from Mike W. Barr and Jim Aparo, the most notable custodians of the series, thatís exactly what happened in Batman and the Outsiders. After Batman bailed, a new leader emerged Ė Geo-Force. In his alter-ego/secret identity, heís really Prince Brion Markov of Markovia, Terraís half-brother, and he serves as the subject of todayís review. So get on in here but remember to bow or curtsey and whatnot. Thereís royalty inside for gosh sakes!

Please click ďRepliesĒ to continue.

ol_Dut
06/15/2006, 11:10
Let me begin by exposing my huge bias as it pertains to all things concerning The Outsiders. Not this new-fangled, name-stealing, $3 a comic Outsiders. Iím talking about the original 1980ís, loads of thought balloons, bad hair and braces variety of The Outsiders. I loved those books when I was kid, and I still plow through them time and again now that Iím all grown up Ė well older anyway. Geo-Force, Metamorpho, Black Lightning, Katana, Looker and Halo; all saying some goofy stuff from time to time, but fighting the good fight an putting evildoers in their place. Itís great to have Geo-Force and some of the rest of the old gang (hopefully the rest will be on the way soon), and seeing Geo-Force get LE treatment is just icing on the cake for me. So, without further adieu, here are Prince Brion Markovís vital statistics.

Prince Brion Markov #213 (Geo-Force)
Type: E+
Clicks: 7
Range: 8
Targets: 1

Prince Brion Markovís Gains v. Experienced Geo-Force
Befitting his title, Prince Brion receives a fair amount of silvery upgrades from his blue-ringed counterpart. Most obvious are his two upfront clicks of Leadership which reflect him taking the reins of the Outsiders. More welcome than that, however, is that click of four (4) damage to start things off and an additional click of Invulnerable on his second click. Brion adds one click of Quake, which he starts with, and a click of Earthbound which he finishes with on click seven. While Earthbound may really be a loss, it is a power the E doesnít have and it does enable him to be carried, which may be a good thing depending on the circumstances. Other numerical increases include a third click of nine (9) attack and ditching one of those seven (7) attacks in favor of a second eight (8).

Prince Brion Markovís Losses v. Experienced Geo-Force
Brion drops one click of Ranged Combat Expert and never sees that vaunted 17 defense that the E Geo-Force sports. His movement is down from an eight (8) to a seven (7) on his third click, and his defensive values on his last two clicks dip to a sorry 14 and 13 from the Eís 15 and 14. He also goes back to the brown costume which is a huge loss in my opion (but easily solved by using the green and gold suited figure).

Neutral Dial Tinkering
Brion sees his click of Close Combat Expert move up from the Eís last click to his fourth click. Considering Brionís got a nine (9) attack value at this point, that actually feels like a gain. Starting with Quake instead of the Eís Super Strength is a bit of a wash however, because since he opens with Running Shot, heís not overly likely to be put into base-to-base contact to use either power anyway.

Cards that Work
Inspiring Command would be a great choice for the Prince since he starts off with two clicks of Leadership, and thereís so much to like about giving Katana a ďfreeĒ push to use her Blades or Exploit Weakness. LE Rex Mason and Vet Metamorpho could do the same. And heck, putting Shellhead on E Metamorpho lets him push for ďfreeĒ and get a 19 defense out of the deal (on his first click). Thatís pretty slick. With his Running Shot Brion should be able to get where he needs to go to make the most of this feat while doing damage to the bad guys at the same time.

Considering the fact that Geo-Force gets stronger the more heís in contact with the earth, and that heís been healed and reinvigorated by the earth, Nanobots is a very comic book accurate feat to give him. Since he spends half of his dial at a natural two (2) damage, itís a very effective life support system that can effectively get him all the way back to his first click.

While there arenít really any battlefield conditions that are just begging to played with the good Prince, Bright Lights lets him keep his distance with Running Shot and also will allow him to make the most of his very expensive and powerful Outsiders team ability.

If ol_Dut had to Choose
LE Prince Brion Markov v. Experienced Geo-Force? I would absolutely take Prince Brion Markov every time. Going one better, Iíd play Prince Brion over any version of Geo-Force, and that four (4) damage and double shot of Invulnerable are the primary reasons why. The Rookie feels too cheap. The Vet is too expensive for what you get. The E is pretty good. But the LE, with his upgrades and even considering that pesky click of Earthbound, is just right. Heís got a 10 attack, he can do four (4) damage on three clicks and three (3) damage on two clicks, heís got very stable attack numbers and a set of powers that make sense and work well together. Even with his pricey Outsiders TA, Prince Brion Markov more than justifies his point cost. Heís a real gem. A crown jewel even.

Quick and Dirty Price Guide
Prince Markov is in short supply at the moment, but despite that heís not typically going for much more than $15. By my crown! Never has royalty been available so cheaply! Go get one!

Thatís all for this week. Next time itís either Arthur Light or the Tornado Tyrant. Thanks for reading!

Grinner
06/15/2006, 16:03
Iím talking about the original 1980ís, loads of thought balloons, bad hair and braces variety of The Outsiders. I loved those books when I was kid, and I still plow through them time and again now that Iím all grown up Ė well older anyway. Geo-Force, Metamorpho, Black Lightning, Katana, Looker and Halo; all saying some goofy stuff from time to time, but fighting the good fight an putting evildoers in their place.

And who could ever forget the Lung-Bucket Brigade from the letters page!

I, too, am glad to see the old Outsiders showing up, and want to see Halo long before I see Grace (of course, I want to see Brother Power the Geek before I see Grace, but you get the idea).

Great write-up. Prince Brion was high on my list of LEs I wanted just because of who he is (he's my daughter's top pick from the set because he's Terra's brother), but after this I want him even more!

cheetor
06/16/2006, 10:39
Cool review as always.

Your stuff is a must-read for me every time, thanks :)

Vevilaughs
06/16/2006, 10:47
Bring on LOOKER!!!!!

olcottr
06/16/2006, 11:30
Bring on LOOKER!!!!!

ditto!

Great review ol_Dut, and timely too. I was just considering getting the Prince.

anonym0use
06/16/2006, 11:35
Not to be a hater, but I just got my LE Rex Mason (Shweetness!) and he's JLA, not Outsiders, so the Inspired Command wouldn't work on him...unless y'all have a different playbook you're using. And, hey, if you do have a different playbook, send a copy my way...

Wolverine_Hulk
06/16/2006, 11:43
Bring on LOOKER!!!!!

As a heroclix or for your own personal gain?

Vevilaughs
06/16/2006, 13:04
As a heroclix or for your own personal gain?

As a Heroclix. DC has always been a little shy in the TK powers. Besides, she has had such an interesting character turn... telepathy and TK, increase in power... simple mind control, increase in power, Vampyre abilities. And who could forget that costume!!

If I had Looker (and Halo too!) I would be a very happy camper.

Besides, I was much more happy when they introduced Geo Force, ;) ;)

ol_Dut
06/16/2006, 13:37
Not to be a hater, but I just got my LE Rex Mason (Shweetness!) and he's JLA, not Outsiders, so the Inspired Command wouldn't work on him...unless y'all have a different playbook you're using. And, hey, if you do have a different playbook, send a copy my way...

Sorry, forgot that Rex was JLA, so it Metamorpho or bust.

Glen Quagmire
06/16/2006, 14:13
Let me begin by exposing my huge bias as it pertains to all things concerning The Outsiders. Not this new-fangled, name-stealing, $3 a comic Outsiders. Iím talking about the original 1980ís, loads of thought balloons, bad hair and braces variety of The Outsiders. I loved those books when I was kid, and I still plow through them time and again now that Iím all grown up Ė well older anyway. Geo-Force, Metamorpho, Black Lightning, Katana, Looker and Halo; all saying some goofy stuff from time to time, but fighting the good fight an putting evildoers in their place.

I've got an odd affinity for the group as well, though I thought the stories were bad even when I was a kid, LOL. Maybe it would have been okay if it weren't for all those Mort-of-the-Month villains. Actually, I think guys like the Nuclear Family and the Duke of Oil would have fit in on the Teen Titans cartoon.

But the heroes themselves were cool, though, and to my surprise, Halo hasn't been completely forgotten by DC. It's nice that she's had some minor appearances the last few months.

Ro-gan
06/17/2006, 23:20
Great review! Makes me reconsider eBaying the Prince Brion Markov I just won today at the PreRelease.

6T9
06/19/2006, 19:00
Strategy-wise, I would much rather play Experienced Geo-Force, his Running Shot & Super Strength combo is a stealth buster! If an opposing figure is hiding in stealth on top of an object, E G.F. can just R.S. up to the stealthed fig and yoink the object from underneath and then shot him for 3 dam. Or you can give E G.F. the desk 3D object for plus 2 def, bumping his def to a nice 18 def. Also, the way his base damage + modifiers is set up, He his very nanobots friendly and can be nanoboted up to his first click (something that the LE can not do)

The LE G.F. is a complete waste with his starting Running Shot + Quake non-combo, so what if he does have a second click of Invulnerability, his def is low enough that it will ensure that he will be put past it, on to his not so impresive third click. The fact that he seems to do more damage means nothing, because when you add up the LE's and Experienced's point damage including modifiers, they both end up with 22 points total damage.

The way I see it is...if you want a more versitile fig with more strategy and better defensive capabilities, go with the Experienced Geo-Force. If you want a simple minded run and shoot piece with no strategic value that is most likely going to be the first to get K.O'ed, go for the LE.

People...you are welcome to disagree.

denhamkarl
06/23/2006, 14:46
I have one and the guys I play with pick on me because it looks like he has a thong on so then I play him I either sing the thong song or refer to him as the "Heroclick formally known as Prince!" Which usually gets a big laugh.

Great Review, always a must read for me!!!
Especially if I just so happen to have the piece.

mellody bunny
07/28/2006, 14:18
I tend to like the LE better. To me, the quake is much better front loaded, because the guaranteed knockback gets him back to doin what he does best, which is the ranged outsider, leadership thing. i reallly like this click. The TA adds a lot to a brick.