The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: Dr. Chen Lu! [Archive] - HeroClix Realms

PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: Dr. Chen Lu!

ol_Dut
09/21/2006, 10:01
http://www.hcrealms.com/temp/HMSN_062.jpg

When asked about “Radioactive Man”, 52% of those polled recalled Bart Simpson’s favorite crimson-clad righter of wrongs. When asked about a big green guy in a green tunic, 97% of those polled responded, “Ho, Ho, Ho! Green Giant!” When asked about a bald strong man 63% of respondents answered “Mr. Clean”. And the name “Dr. Chen Lu” generated virtually no name recognition at all, but it did cause 43% of those polled to start freestyle riffing on Wang Chung. Wow. However, today’s article is about neither Fallout Boy’s mentor, nor a guy hawking vegetables, nor a spiffy way to clean toilets and floors, nor an odd ‘80’s band. Today is all about Marvel’s own Dr. Chen Lu and Radioactive Man. Come on in as we try to sort out this all out in 15 minutes or less.

ol_Dut
09/21/2006, 10:27
Here are Dr. Chen Lu’s vital statistics.

Dr. Chen Lu (LE #209 – Radioactive Man)
Type: V+ Different
Clicks: 7
Range: 6
Targets: 1

And for reference, here are the dials.

LE Dr. Chen Lu
Team: No Affiliation
Range: 6 /
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal89152791637817268162671726815259131KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Veteran Radioactive Man
Team: Avengers
Range: 6 /
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal891738101647916368152681526815257142KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Dr. Chen Lu’s Gains vs. Veteran Radioactive Man
Dr. Chen Lu adds four powers that do not exist on the Vet’s dial that really help him carve out his own identity. Mind Control, Impervious and Perplex all show up on his first click, and Steal Energy appears on his last two. Chen also has one additional click of nine (9) attack and one more click of 17 defense than does the Veteran. Granted these are not huge gains, but for only eight more points than the Vet, it seems pretty fair as Impervious and Perplex are always welcome additions to any dial. Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Dr. Chen Lu’s Losses vs. Veteran Radioactive Man
Chen’s losses start on his base and insidiously creep down his dial. Dr. Chen Lu drops the Avengers team ability, presumably to help pay for some of the above mentioned gains. Also absent is the sparkling 10 attack and always zesty Psychic Blast. Close Combat Expert which shows up late on the Vet’s dial doesn’t bother to show up at all on the LE’s. There are also a few power and numerical reductions to recount, which include the loss of one click of Invulnerable, one of Poison, one of three (3) damage, and dropping that one fabulous click of four (4) damage. All of that conspires to take some of the shine of Dr. Chen Lu’s big ol’ bald head.

Neutral Dial Tinkering
Pulse Wave gets thrown to the top of Dr. Chen Lu’s bag of tricks instead of staying at the bottom of the dial like the Vet’s only dose of the power. Super Strength precedes Poison on the LE, while the inverse is true for the Vet. Exploit Weakness gets spread around the LE’s dial on click two and seven, where they cleverly overlap with Super Strength and Steal Energy respectively, while the Vet has his EW blandly bunched together on clicks three and four. All things considered these change-ups actually feel more like gains given their greater usefulness on the LE’s dial. Ho, Ho, Ho! Green Giant!

Cards That Work
Despite the fact that they have virtually nothing in common, Dr. Chen Lu has a lot to learn from the Goblin Princess. For starters, there’s that Mind Control with a stubby little six (6) range. Like the Princess, he can jack his range up for that attack thanks to Extended Range. Armor Piercing could help provide a legitimate threat to his mid-dial Poison clicks and also provide greater potency to his first click of Steal Energy since he actually has to deal damage in order to regain a click of health. If that attack hits, it would conveniently put him back on Poison which really ought to make his opponent’s day.

As far as Battlefield Conditions are concerned, and as with the Goblin Princess, Darkness is a free fix and gives every figure on the map a range no greater than his own. Just make sure the rest of his teammates aren’t paying points for a longer range that they will not be able to utilize to full effect in this instance. Either that or accept that sacrificing a bit of another figure’s range is a necessary evil to help keep Dr. Chen Lu’s 88 point behind from turning into a mushroom cloud prematurely.

If ol_Dut had to Choose
Dr. Chen Lu vs. Veteran Radioactive Man? After looking at the two, Dr. Chen Lu emerges as having greater sparkle and lemony freshness. The Vet starts with Psychic Blast, one of my favorite powers. However the LE opens with an ever better power – Pulse Wave. Because it’s always better to zap a whole bunch of people for penetrating damage than it is to just get one. Granted, his PW range drops to a tiny three (3), but any TK’er should still be able to sling him into a position where he could hit at least two bad guys. And to ensure he pulls it off, the good Dr. can Perplex up his attack to 10, while the Vet has to just sit at a nine attack and like it. The Mind Control is also a huge boon as it can be used to pit your foes against each other, to move a bad guy next to a friendly zero-range bruiser for hilarious results, or to separate a taxi from his/her fare and potentially compromising the enemy’s strategy. Having that as an option provides considerable tactical advantages or at least the opportunity for some malicious mischief - and either usually equates to big fun.

The way his attack values rebound is also a positive. He may never reach the heights of the 10 attack that the Vet achieves, but considering that he starts and ends his dial with with the same attack value - a nine (9) - is pretty nifty. That makes him just as dangerous when he's fresh as he is when he's nearly KO'd. And I'd much rather have my nearly departed figures pose a real danger to the opposition than to simply be relegated to tie-up or mobile blocking terrain status.

As hinted at above, resetting his best combat powers to the top of his dial rather than letting them languish in the middle is also a huge factor in the decision. Moving up both Super Strength and Exploit Weakness and providing a click of overlap affords the LE the ability to do five (5) clicks of penetrating damage when he hits a bad guy with a heavy object (six (6) with the soda machine). Moving his second click of EW down so that it coincides with Steal Energy guarantees that if he hits, which is highly probable given his nine (9) attack, he’ll get a click of health back, keeping him around for longer than your opponent would like. As far as dial design goes, he is a fairly subtle departure from his REV, and his sacrifices certainly keep him from realizing significantly greater levels of power. However, given the changes – both the good and the bad – I’ll definitely reach for Dr. Chen Lu whenever a Radioactive Man is needed because he certainly should be entertaining to play. And after all, isn’t that the point? I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight. (The 80’s flashback portion of this review has now ended. Put your parachute pants and all other gratuitously zippered garments back in mothballs, rewind all of your cassette tapes, and roll up all of your Samantha Fox posters. OK, maybe not that last one.)

Quick and Dirty Price Tag
How much is that baldy in the window? Under $10 in every case, and sometimes less than $5. Looks like Marrina just found a cheap date!

Thanks for reading. Next week, more Sinister!

AZS
09/21/2006, 11:10
Thanks for the review!
I haven't picked one of these up yet, but I'll be looking for one for my Civil War team.

One nit pick, I have to question the recomendation of Extended Range on the LE. With mostly a base damage of 2 (except for 1 click of 3) he's not going to extend by much. I'd rather spend the 10 points on ICwO to get a 1 range increase, plus the versatility for other stat boosts.

tidge
09/21/2006, 11:11
Thanks for the reviews. In this case, I think the ability of the Vet to Thunderbolt (and still cost less than the LE) makes the vet the stronger of the two pieces.

TK-ing either of those two green meanies into an opponent's team is going to seult in a quick 80 points for the opponent...I think the best way to get the points worth out of the LE is to pair him with a (more costly) flying move+attacker, so that the Dr. is not going to be the primary target...and if he is, he stands a reasonable chance at surving a counter attack (unless there are multiple Outwits in play). Careful positioning of the Doc should help to disrupt a co-ordinated counter assault.

Cards that Work? Protected. To put things simply, you cannot afford to have the LE take a huge amount of damage on that first click, especially if the Impervious has been Outwitted. If there was no outwit, save protected for the next attack. If there was a push, you probably got a higher DV and a different defensive power.

coyotejack
09/21/2006, 11:25
Very nice write up (as usual). We'll be playing for this figure Saturday and I know a few players have expressed interest in him. I look forward to adding him to any T-Bolts line up or MoE line up since he's without a TA.

Only one thing I didn't understand in the article. It says the LE gains one click of 17 DV over the Vet. Is that a typo on the dial or the article as I only see 2 clix on each? Thanks!

Dark Phoenix
09/21/2006, 11:47
Heheh, what figure does Protected not work for...

Anyway, the LE review was great! I don't think that Radioactive Man has much potential, but you made a good summary of what's there for Chen Lu and the Vet.

tidge
09/21/2006, 12:09
Heheh, what figure does Protected not work for...

The MoE? (Or the Vet, which is likely to be pushed onto click 2 by choice)

Ya, I know...I'm actually glad that most reviewers refrain from such easy recommendations like Thunderbolts, ICwO, Protected...but a (short-ish) dial with rapidly changing Defense powers (with Defense Values that spike mid-dial!) makes a 'Protected' a pretty good choice for Dr. Green.

spider_ham
09/21/2006, 12:11
Team Chen up with Ted Sallis and Parasite and for the Poison Reunion Tour.*

* Bad 80's pun -- ed.

ol_Dut
09/21/2006, 12:26
Very nice write up (as usual). Only one thing I didn't understand in the article. It says the LE gains one click of 17 DV over the Vet. Is that a typo on the dial or the article as I only see 2 clix on each? Thanks!

Oops! Thanks for the catch - that was an data entry error on the dial generation. The Vet has been put back in his place with just one 17 defense value.

cheetor
09/21/2006, 12:28
Awsome review as ever :laugh:

Maybe Im showing my age but I found it more "laugh-out-loud" than usual.

Is it just me or are the Sinister LEs some of the more entertaining (rather than strictly competitive, a la Sue Storm) that we have got for a while?

I see that as a "good thing" BTW.

CREED
09/21/2006, 12:57
Hey Sam Fox was friends with Lemmy of Motorhead-how much more validation does a girl need?

As for the good Doc LE.If you plan to use him as a Perplexed up TKed Tactical Nuke,would not Nova blast be the card for him?

biz567
09/21/2006, 20:04
Awesome review! As expected! I'm actually starting to wish I picked up the LE when I had the chance last Saturday at my tourney. He seems like an awesome support piece up front, with perplex and MC. Plus, like you said, Impervious just adds to the awesomness!

batjester
09/21/2006, 20:49
Good review again. This is one of the le's I was really looking forward to in the set, just because I like the character. As for good ole Samantha Fox, I used to have a few of her posters, and her CD's (I was young and didn't know music, sue me).

Sigdr
09/21/2006, 21:50
As for the good Doc LE.If you plan to use him as a Perplexed up TKed Tactical Nuke,would not Nova blast be the card for him?

No. It puts him off his two best clicks, and his Nova Blast is only doing two damage to each of the enemies. Base damage is used during a Nova Blast, so perplexing up his damage would be useless.

Additionally, he's a bit hefty at 88 points, and in order to justify any addition to those points via feat cards, it has to be really awesome with him all of the time or most of the time.

Chen Lu is also one of those Pulse Wavers that I prefer to make a lot of use out of Single Target Pulse Wave of, anyways. His range is short enough to make it easy even though he has no RS, and his top click is awesome enough that most people who get STPWed aren't going to be in great shape to put the beats on him after taking the damage from his STPW.

Dark Phoenix
09/22/2006, 00:00
The MoE? (Or the Vet, which is likely to be pushed onto click 2 by choice)

Ya, I know...I'm actually glad that most reviewers refrain from such easy recommendations like Thunderbolts, ICwO, Protected...but a (short-ish) dial with rapidly changing Defense powers (with Defense Values that spike mid-dial!) makes a 'Protected' a pretty good choice for Dr. Green.

You know, you're right actually. It would make a close combat retaliation all the more interesting if he was hit.
Albeit without Super Strength on his second click, he can't just wail back for five.

XStreme
09/22/2006, 01:19
The Vet starts with Psychic Blast, one of my favorite powers. However the LE opens with an ever better power – Pulse Wave. Because it’s always better to zap a whole bunch of people for penetrating damage than it is to just get one. Granted, his PW range drops to a tiny three (3), but any TK’er should still be able to sling him into a position where he could hit at least two bad guys.

Do you really think that click of Pulse Wave is more valuable than Psyshic Blast on that dial? I can't see that at all..you definitely don't want to put Nova Blast on him since it knocks him past his first two(and best) clicks..and so if you are hitting only two people(which is likely with such a short range) that is only two unavoidable damage you are doing total while if you would of Psyshic Blasted someone it would of been for 3...and you could do it from 6 spaces away instead of 3.

Great job pointing out the strength of the differences though such as the SS/EW combo and the attack jumping to a 9. Personally though I'd take the V over the LE almost every time. Invulnerability with a 17 seems a little safer than Impervious with a 15 and the lack of a 10 attack 4 damage slot kind of bothers me. Maybe if the LE had Super Strength front-loaded but with it in a click and absolutely no move powers it makes it a little less useful. :)

Kite-Man
09/22/2006, 19:19
Yup. Despite the good review for the LE, I'll take the Vet, too.

Really, I'll take the rookie, who's overpriced, but my favourite Radioactive Man.

Wolverine_Hulk
09/22/2006, 19:34
Great Review, I just won one.

Sigdr
09/22/2006, 20:57
Do you really think that click of Pulse Wave is more valuable than Psyshic Blast on that dial? I can't see that at all..you definitely don't want to put Nova Blast on him since it knocks him past his first two(and best) clicks..and so if you are hitting only two people(which is likely with such a short range) that is only two unavoidable damage you are doing total while if you would of Psyshic Blasted someone it would of been for 3...and you could do it from 6 spaces away instead of 3.

STPW rules. I'd much rather have the option of STPWing for 3 at a 9 attack, SPTWing for 2 at a 10 attack, or multi-waving at a 10 attack than just being able to Psychic Blast for 3 at a 9 attack. A large part of my preference for STPW has to do with the fact that since the Ultimates and Superman Allies are becoming a lot less popular (at the venues I play at, at least), so Stealth characters are back 'in' (the ones I have to deal with often are Starter Bats, V Green Arrow, Ultimate Nick Fury, REV Icons Joker). This makes Pulse Wave a lot more important, since it's one of the very few ways of tackling a Hindering-camped Stealth figure from range.

XStreme
09/23/2006, 00:00
STPW rules. I'd much rather have the option of STPWing for 3 at a 9 attack, SPTWing for 2 at a 10 attack, or multi-waving at a 10 attack than just being able to Psychic Blast for 3 at a 9 attack. A large part of my preference for STPW has to do with the fact that since the Ultimates and Superman Allies are becoming a lot less popular (at the venues I play at, at least), so Stealth characters are back 'in' (the ones I have to deal with often are Starter Bats, V Green Arrow, Ultimate Nick Fury, REV Icons Joker). This makes Pulse Wave a lot more important, since it's one of the very few ways of tackling a Hindering-camped Stealth figure from range.

I usually just TBolt the V to Ultimates if I think my team will have problems with stealth. I'm a fan of Pulse Wave but I guess I just like Psychic Blast in this situation better. But to each his own. :)

tyroclix
09/23/2006, 12:22
One other thing the end-dial steal energy gets the good doctor is a form of Willpower.

If he's at the end and in base-contact, rather then being forced to clear he has the option of making another attack, and assuming he hits, he'll heal himself one before taking the click for pushing.

daerdeletravoh
09/23/2006, 21:35
Greatness. I loved the review. Thanks alot though, Now I have Wang Chung stuck in my head.

Wolverine_Hulk
09/23/2006, 22:14

Great job pointing out the strength of the differences though such as the SS/EW combo and the attack jumping to a 9. Personally though I'd take the V over the LE almost every time. Invulnerability with a 17 seems a little safer than Impervious with a 15 and the lack of a 10 attack 4 damage slot kind of bothers me. Maybe if the LE had Super Strength front-loaded but with it in a click and absolutely no move powers it makes it a little less useful. :)

Mystics and Protected aren't uncommon to face; Pulse Wave goes right through them were Psychic Blast doesn't.

XStreme
09/23/2006, 22:37
Mystics and Protected aren't uncommon to face; Pulse Wave goes right through them were Psychic Blast doesn't.

Does Pulse Wave go through Protected? I don't see why it would from the descriptions. I didn't thhink Pulse Wave ignored feats.

Sigdr
09/23/2006, 22:41
Does Pulse Wave go through Protected? I don't see why it would from the descriptions. I didn't thhink Pulse Wave ignored feats.

PW ignores feats, powers and TAs.

Oh baby.

XStreme
09/24/2006, 00:37
Ah I see now thanks...They really should update the site where you click on the power on dials for a description. It doesn't have the feat part added on. :)

darkassailant8
09/24/2006, 13:00
Just won it too. Wouldn't mine putting a team together.

tidge
09/24/2006, 13:15
The drawback of both Pulse Wave and Psychic Blast is that a grounded figure can use neither if it is in B2B contact with another grounded figure.

biz567
09/24/2006, 21:31
The drawback of both Pulse Wave and Psychic Blast is that a grounded figure can use neither if it is in B2B contact with another grounded figure.

Yeah, that's why you need to play someone who is stupid and bases your Doom with a flyer!:grin:

mishrack76
09/25/2006, 10:13
good review hope to see him as tonights prize

anonym0use
09/25/2006, 11:23
One nit pick, I have to question the recomendation of Extended Range on the LE. .

I agree. It seems totally appropriate on Goblin Princess, but a waste of points on Dr. Chen. Likewise, I'd save on the Armor piercing. With Pulsewave and EW doing the same job for free it seems excessive to use for just mid dial poison you might never see.

NANOBOTS, however, would be my choice for the big bald baddy, and could put him back on his top click.

My 2 cents ...