The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: Monica Rambeau [Archive] - HeroClix Realms

PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: Monica Rambeau

ol_Dut
10/19/2006, 00:21
http://www.hcrealms.com/units/sn210.jpg

You’ve heard of “That 70’s Show”? Now we have “That 70’s Clix”! Monica Rambeau has a puffy shirt that is pure Donna Summer, a ‘fro that would do Bootsy Collins proud, and huge boots that are straight out of P-Funk. It’s enough to make Monica an anachronism in her own time. She’s so stuck in the seventies, she’s even 79 points. With so many of these dancing queens from which to choose, it’s hard to know who to play. So come on in as we figure out who deserves some respect and who should burn baby burn in that disco inferno!

ol_Dut
10/19/2006, 00:33
Monica Rambeau (LE #210 – Captain Marvel/Photon/Pulsar)
Type: E+
Clicks: 7
Range: 8
Targets: 1

And here are the dials.

LE Monica Rambeau
Team: Avengers
Range: 8 /
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal11916310915398162108152107152127162137172KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

E Photon
Team: Avengers
Range: 8 /
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal11916310816288152671518714277131KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

LE Monica Rambeau’s Gains vs. Experienced Photon
For three more points, Monica brings a lot to the party. Starting things off she’s got one additional click of life. She also adds one click each of nine (9) attack, Super Senses, three (3) damage, 16 defense and 17 defense. She also adds two clicks of two (2) damage, two of Hypersonic Speed, and three of late-dial Willpower.

LE Monica Rambeau’s Losses vs. Experienced Photon
The question is, does Monica really have to give up the funk to get everything listed above for a meager three point increase? The answer is a qualified no. Monica drops two late dial clicks of Pulse Wave, three clicks of Ranged Combat Expert, and one click of Phasing. The E’s late dial Pulse Wave reeks of desperation anyway, but dropping the RCE really harshes my mellow.

Neutral Dial Tinkering
Monica moves her Phasing to the top, while the E keeps her junk in the trunk. Depending on where you like your HSS to sit on her dial, however, this may in fact be a bad thing.

Cards that Work
Not to put too fine a point on it, Monica is 79 points, and by no means is she a primary attacker. As such, loading her up with feats to compensate for any shortcomings real or perceived makes about as much sense as lobbying for the return of 8-tracks. She’s an Avenger. I’d Thunderbolt her. That’s where I’d stop. Just for kicks, Thunderbolt her to that fancy new Guardians of the Globe TA to make every blow a stunning blow.

Since her attack values start at average and wander south to lame, consider playing Assembled; not only because she's an Avenger, not just to spite Bendis, but also to boost the attack values of her and her affiliated teammates. As a flier, all she has to do is carry a fellow Avenger with her and meeting the BFC’s requirement is a snap!

If ol_Dut had to Choose
LE Monica Rambeau vs. Experienced Photon? This is tough one. It really is. I’ve always been partial to the character, and I really want to like the LE, but at the end of the day, Rambeau just doesn’t have enough Rambo. Starting Monica off with Phasing instead of Hypersonic Speed is a bit of a cruel joke. Kind of like giving somebody a Lamborghini without an engine. That sucker should go fast and be amazing, but it just sits there. And, underneath the Afro, the puffy shirt and the go-go boots, that’s what you’ve got here. A Lamborghini that rides like a peach crate. Enjoy!

Oh sure, I hear what your saying. Just push off of that first click and you’ll get to that brown sugar! It’s all good! Well, no it isn’t. By then it’s turn three, you’ve wasted a click of life and relegated a 79 point piece to be nothing more than a taxi in the early game. Maybe, just maybe you were able to push Monica onto HSS by getting a shot off and doing a wee bit of damage. Maybe. But I doubt it. By the time Monica gets HSS, her move is one less than Photon’s starting click HSS move. It may not seem like much, but in the hit and run world of HSS attacks, and especially now that HSS ranged attacks have been neutered, every little bit of movement counts. While Monica’s HSS is at a 10, Photon’s is at 11. Like Spinal Tap, I dig the 11. Top of dial, Photon wins.

By the mid-dial, E Photon is sporting that RCE/Incap double threat. Monica just sits there with Incap and two (2) damage. It’s not very exciting and no matter what some may say, it isn’t worth it to stick Stunning Blow on her. Neither her attack nor her damage are high enough to make this a good idea. E Photon holds her own here all by herself so Photon wins the mid-dial as well.

And yes, Photon’s late-dial Pulse Wave is a huge Hail Mary, but I’d rather have a chance to detonate in a crowd and zap everybody for penetrating damage than limp along with two damage and not be able to get after anyone with better than Toughness. It’s always better to have your desperation look dangerous instead of just looking as sad as it really is. Sure the LE ends with a spiffy 13 HSS move, but good luck hitting it. If you use her Willpower you can’t push on to it. And if you negate Willpower so that you can push on to it, you’re wasting points, life, and proving beyond all doubt that you are 100% certifiably insane, a danger to yourself and others, and should be strapped to a bed somewhere enjoying a scrummy Thorazine drip. Hopefully Wednesdays are Salisbury steak day. E Photon wins at the bottom of the dial as well and thus has to be the piece of choice. Off to the disco inferno with you Monica! Alas, we hardly knew ye.

Quick and Dirty Price Tag
If you’ve gotta have that funk, you’d better have $10 bucks.

Next week? More Sinister! (Less disco.)

Thanks for reading!

the itsy bit
10/19/2006, 05:19
nice write up.

that first click with Phasing instead of HSS really kicks the Monica LE out of contention...

Lonehawk
10/19/2006, 05:25
Great post and spot on.

I've been fortunate enough to pull E Photon twice in sealed events and as a secondary attacker/ harrassment piece she rocks. Just make sure that you get her back behind something a bit more robust and pray you don't critical miss - that will really ruin her day.

Neff
10/19/2006, 05:29
I really must disagree on the preference of the E over the LE. Even with the opening Phasing "activation" click, Monica has the E beat with her end-dial usefulness. A 17 defense is nothing to sneeze at at the end of a long fight, and with Willpower no less. For just 3 points more, I'd take the LE nine times out of 10.

cheetor
10/19/2006, 05:45
Monicas end dial is great in my opinion but the kinda worthless first click kinda cripples her.

It is a very close call though with Monicas slightly better AV but then again it is sort of wasted on that first click.

Its close but I would always use the Exp in a "competitive" game. Monica will definitely make fun teams though.

Great review (again).

Marlow
10/19/2006, 06:08
I think you mean Super Senses, not Super Strength on the gains!

I did not manage to pull the Expert so I will stick with the LE for now.
And while I agree she is not a Lamborghini I think she has the potential in higher point games to be an anoying secondry attacker.

2Face
10/19/2006, 06:23
What struck me about the LE is that there is a move and attack power on every click after the first click. This can be huge late game. However, like you said dut, she has to push to get to HSS. I'm still on the fence on this one.

omni_42
10/19/2006, 09:41
I must disagree.

While the le's first click can be annoying, the heightened mobility is tremendous. The key though is to give her nanobots, just one more feat and she can zip around with her hss and heal when needed.

The e is not bad, but the lack of move powers mean that if you want to use that ranged combat expert you have to leave her quietly waiting for a counterattack. And the pulsewave with a 7 attack is a joke.

LE seems to win, hands down.

olcottr
10/19/2006, 09:44
Monica's unique enough to warrant getting, but I don't see her getting much use. It would have been nice to see a corresponding increase in AV...

mr-coffin
10/19/2006, 10:01
The loss of ranged combat expert is no big deal since she couldn't use it with her running shot anyway. And that last click of health with 13 movement hypersonic, 17 defense and willpower is just too good to ignore. I would choose the LE any day.

tidge
10/19/2006, 10:10
What struck me about the LE is that there is a move and attack power on every click after the first click. This can be huge late game. However, like you said dut, she has to push to get to HSS. I'm still on the fence on this one.

I dunno, I think that she suffers only because of the existence of the Alpha Flight Beaubier twins, and their 1st click HSS utility.

She's got enough Phasing movement (with flight) to bring a buddy all the way up to row 14 from the starting area...and don't forget the Stealth/Phasing deployment BFC! This should be more than adequate to go claim the Laser Turret.

Normally I shudder when I see Incapacitate, but on an 8-range flier, with move and attack options...it is a much nicer package. As long as she is alive, she has a move+attack (ranged attack) power (after click 1)...which is nothing to sneeze at....backed up by Willpower at the end of the dial!

As for feats: Life Model Decoy may be worthwhile (since she is unlikely to get healing from high end-dial DVs); good Thunderbolt options are some classics: Mystics (High-ish DVs, deep dial, she'll always be on offense) and possibly Superman Enemy(she has plenty of lower cost Avengers to taxi, and she'll always be lining up shots).

For her depth (and reasonable cost), her mobility, her TAXI status and her Thunder-bolt-a-tude, I think this is a fine piece and I look forward to trying to get one!

PresidntVictor
10/19/2006, 10:27
I absolutely disagree with choosing the E over the LE. The LE is almost always on the move, but that defense alone makes her so much sweeter! As far as "having to wait to get to the HSS", that's really no biggie. She's Phasing her friends to where they need to go and your opponent knows that you're likely to push her to get a shot off which keeps her threat level up. Not being front-loaded is a good thing!

I think that if you built a 300 point team with the E and played it and then replaced the E with the LE and replayed the team then you'd find the LE to be a better piece. (Of course, when you builed the E team you're going to need to be mindful of the 3-point difference, but I'm sure that most people will be able to work that factor into their team building.)

ol_Dut
10/19/2006, 11:07
I must disagree.

While the le's first click can be annoying, the heightened mobility is tremendous. The key though is to give her nanobots, just one more feat and she can zip around with her hss and heal when needed.

The e is not bad, but the lack of move powers mean that if you want to use that ranged combat expert you have to leave her quietly waiting for a counterattack. And the pulsewave with a 7 attack is a joke.

LE seems to win, hands down.

Just a quick retort:
1 - Whatever Nanobots does for Monica, it does for Photon too. Who doesn't Nanobots help? But that makes her an 89 point figure and is she worth it? I don't think she is, which I why I ignored the card and just stuck with Thunderbolts for a cheap five point add. T'bolting Sinister Syndicate would also be a huge help.
2 - Having E Photon sit still and shoot to do four clicks of damage with RCE seems better than running all over the place and doing two clicks of damage. Maybe it's personal preference, but I'll sacrifice some mobility to do more damage - especially on a secondary attacker.
3 - Monica and Photon both have seven (7) attacks on their last two clicks, and if PW with a seven attack is a joke, then RS and HSS with a seven attack must also be a joke. Logic dictates. Monica can't get it on with anyone who has more than Toughness. Photon can hurt whoever she hits thanks to Pulse Wave, and that's why I give her the nod here. The seven attacks are equally lame on both pieces, it's just that Photon can hurt more people if the dice allow her to hit.

omni_42
10/19/2006, 11:55
Oh, understandable that both can use it. However hss makes it a much more useful ability due to the much increased mobility. I certainly see she's getting a little pricey at this point, but the hss runaway trick is far more useful in my opinion.

As to rce vs hss with 2, I'm a big believer that a sitting target is a dead one. Better to have her doing two damage over and over (Honestly 3 because I'd have a perplexer somewhere) then one big hit before she gets pounded into the pavement. Placement is key in this game, and hss is the king of good positioning. With the E you'll need to spend more points on mobile rang eblockers, like mockingbird and lockjaw. Better to have those tie up pieces as an option rather then a requirement.

fecundity
10/19/2006, 12:01
Monica can't get it on with anyone who has more than Toughness.

So why not armour-piercing? I agree that you don't want to pile feats on a character, because these things add up-- but hypersonic trouble-makers and armour-piercing go together like G'nort and Scoobie snacks.

CarlosMucha
10/19/2006, 12:07
I like Monica. first because the name. I only want the Cap Marvel version of her. but R is a joke.

The LE say "Monica" and Monica is a bether way to know exactly who we are talking about when you say "Cap Marvel" the next question is "who?"

Soo Monica LE is "my" Captain Marvel Monica for my collection.

grotar
10/19/2006, 12:15
If I am remiss in this assumption feel free to tell me, but wouldn't thunderbolting Monica to Masters of Evil and then playing the running shot with her willpower pretty much allow her to push indefinely without pushing damage?

I am sure a team built with giving her an avengers team-mate to carry around with ESD (sorry at work and don't know any off the top of my head) will keep her safe each round while she running shots each turn. If she plings as a secondary harrassment piece each turn, its basically like holding the opponent in place while your primary and its support pounds away at their front.

I could be wrong, though.

earinfection
10/19/2006, 12:22
In her defense the she came out in 1982. Dc's big hitter that year was Brother Blood.

Who'd you rather play?

fecundity
10/19/2006, 13:03
If I am remiss in this assumption feel free to tell me, but wouldn't thunderbolting Monica to Masters of Evil and then playing the running shot with her willpower pretty much allow her to push indefinely without pushing damage?

You are remiss.

Masters of Evil does a click of damage for taking an action when you have two tokens already. That damage is not reduced by Willpower.

Marlow
10/19/2006, 14:21
Although Monica is Photon Exp+/- comparing them is a little like comparing Apples and Oranges.

Photon starts aggressively and then tails off. Although she can theoretically hurt anyone she hits with her 7 AV Pulse Wave, she has to spent an action positioning and hope to still be there to push next turn (if there is any enemies left in range)

Now Monica is not going to be used on a competitive 300 point team because she is built for the long game. She starts as a glorified Taxi but transforms into an executioner able to finish off wounded figures (like Photon) and not have to worry about pushing due to her Willpower.

Photon is the better choice (of the two) for an aggressor, however I would probably take Jeanne-Marie Beaubier, Northstar or Quicksilver and use the other 10-15 points to round out the team with a few feats.

Monkey Joe
10/19/2006, 15:38
I think the discoball shines brighter on the LE. She has one more click of life than the E, so why not push off that first click? If anything she can phase near a medic, push to pop a cap, and let whoever she is carrying cover her. Oh, and I'd T-bolt her to Syndicate over GG 100% of the time.

olcottr
10/19/2006, 15:54
She'd make a great taxi for a 1000 pt team. ;)

theanalogkid
10/19/2006, 16:45
I like the LE better myself. The 4 damage is nice on the E if you hit. I like the LE mobility, which should allow her to pick and choose her targets. The HSS at the end also allows her to reach and pick off retreating pieces, instead of hoping to set up and get off a PW attack.

gambitrmp
10/19/2006, 18:05
Gotta be silly - don't forget to put Power Man with her and play on the disco inferno map (no such thing):cheeky:

XStreme
10/19/2006, 22:13
T'bolting Sinister Syndicate would also be a huge help

Bingo...the LE is KILLER Tbolted to Sinister Syndicate...I'd play her over the E TBolted to anything anytime...

- Monica and Photon both have seven (7) attacks on their last two clicks, and if PW with a seven attack is a joke, then RS and HSS with a seven attack must also be a joke. Logic dictates

Not true in the least...pot shots with HSS are very very useful...with range and a high speed, not to mention a high defense for that late in the dial, you should get quite a few chances to get an attack off therefore raising the probability you'll hit...You'll get most likely one chance to Pulse Wave and then she's dead because she has to get within 4 range and can't move out of danger...

Also you aren't really sacrificing damage for mobility on the LE really...you're just getting more consistant damage down the dial...

The Charlatan
10/20/2006, 00:17
I'd put Alpha Flight and Protected on Monica myself. 0 points for +1 to attacks, and something to keep her alive a little longer, and is especially useful in her Willpower clicks.

biz567
10/20/2006, 00:42
I'd put Alpha Flight and Protected on Monica myself. 0 points for +1 to attacks, and something to keep her alive a little longer, and is especially useful in her Willpower clicks.

Yeah because by the time she get's to her WP clicks, maybe you'll remember to use protected!:laugh:

tidge
10/20/2006, 08:26
Willpower and Protected are not always the best combination, especially on a highly mobile, ranged-attack flier (that is likely to be on the move, and pushing a lot).

6T9
10/21/2006, 01:14
Just a quick retort:
1 - Whatever Nanobots does for Monica, it does for Photon too. Who doesn't Nanobots help? But that makes her an 89 point figure and is she worth it? I don't think she is, which I why I ignored the card and just stuck with Thunderbolts for a cheap five point add. T'bolting Sinister Syndicate would also be a huge help.
2 - Having E Photon sit still and shoot to do four clicks of damage with RCE seems better than running all over the place and doing two clicks of damage. Maybe it's personal preference, but I'll sacrifice some mobility to do more damage - especially on a secondary attacker.
3 - Monica and Photon both have seven (7) attacks on their last two clicks, and if PW with a seven attack is a joke, then RS and HSS with a seven attack must also be a joke. Logic dictates. Monica can't get it on with anyone who has more than Toughness. Photon can hurt whoever she hits thanks to Pulse Wave, and that's why I give her the nod here. The seven attacks are equally lame on both pieces, it's just that Photon can hurt more people if the dice allow her to hit.

I agree with ol_Dut on this one...making an otherwise crippled figure more playable by adding more feat card to it, doesn't sount like a great idea to me. Besides, any experienced player will make sure you pretty much gave up 79 pts + some feat change, by following up with a secondary attack, after smashing her with the first attack.

I personally don't like any of the her clix representations to begin with, but if I had to choose one for thematical purposes...the choice is clear - I'll go with the E Photon and maybe t-bolt her or protect her, and then let her loose.

tidge
10/21/2006, 12:15
I agree with ol_Dut on this one...making an otherwise crippled figure more playable by adding more feat card to it, doesn't sount like a great idea to me. Besides, any experienced player will make sure you pretty much gave up 79 pts + some feat change, by following up with a secondary attack, after smashing her with the first attack.

By this (min-max) logic, I don't think any player is likely to use any Heroclix version of this character; Firelord is obviously a better use of the points.

Nanobots is a waste in points (and a bad strategy), because in order to maximize the opportunities to use Nanobots, you will likely have to forgo taxiing another figure. Similarly with Pulse Wave...because of the half-range, its more likely that the exp version will be in position to pulsewave her TAXI partner than anyone else.

The LE strikes me as a much better piece for a team. Don't forget that this piece is likely to be TAXIing someone (Vet Havok? Bullseye? Shi?) so you are rarely going to see just the LE move up against an entire opposing team by iteself.

Aminar
10/21/2006, 12:34
So why not armour-piercing? I agree that you don't want to pile feats on a character, because these things add up-- but hypersonic trouble-makers and armour-piercing go together like G'nort and Scoobie snacks.
I never thought of Gnort has a Scooby like character. You suck, you know that.:grin: I now have to play him, and talk like Scooby.(I look quite a bit like Shaggy.