PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: Lester!

ol_Dut
11/09/2006, 11:10
http://www.hcrealms.com/temp/225px-Bullseye5.jpg

He’s the deadliest man in the world – able to turn anything into a weapon. And way back in the giddy old days of Infinity Challenge, all you had to do was base him someone who had toughness and Bullseye was disarmed. With Sinister, we got a new Bullseye and a fortunately enough an LE, Lester. Has he improved upon the mistakes of his predecessor? Which of these figures really hits the mark? The answers, or perhaps only more questions are just a click away.

ol_Dut
11/09/2006, 11:22
Lester (LE #215 – Bullseye)
Type: V-
Clicks: 7
Range: 10
Targets: 1

#215 LE Lester
Team: Sinister Syndicate
Range: 10 ~
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal81016271016171016189152691526815268141KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

#081 V Bullseye
Team: No Affiliation
Range: 10 ~~
AE Base: Daredevil (Yellow)m-normala-normald-normalg-normal8111636101727916279152681526815267141KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

LE Lester’s Gains vs. Veteran Bullseye
Weighing in a point less than the Vet, one wouldn’t really expect Lester to see too many increases, but somehow, in the magical land of unicorns, fairies and the HeroClix point formula, evidently you can cash in one point to get a whole heck of a lot. For that one lousy point Lester adds the Sinister Syndicate which enables him to bolster the attack values of a great many SS members who direly need all the help in that department that they can get. He also picks up two clicks of Stealth and two of Running Shot, giving him a speed power on all but his last click. While he may never get the Vet’s 11 attack, he does have two additional clicks of 10 attack, for a grand total of three. Finally, Lester takes on one more click of Energy Shield/Deflection. The pixies and the gnomes must have been having a bloody yard sale. Wonder if they have any good DVD’s?

LE Lester’s Losses vs. Veteran Bullseye
Alright, so truth be told Lester does have to give up more than one (1) point. He actually has to say goodbye to some of his powers, abilities and numbers to get all of those sweet goodies listed above. Rotten gnomes drive a hard bargain. For starters, Lester never sees the Vet’s 11 attack. He drops a click of Psychic Blast and one target as well. On his defense track Lester sheds both clicks of 17 defense and that click of Willpower leaving him with none. Last, but not least, Lester also never gets a whiff of the Vet’s three (3) damage, and he discards two clicks of two (2) damage besides.

Neutral Dial Tinkering
Lester has his lonely click of PB on his first click while the Vet keeps his at the bottom. To me, though, moving that PB up to the top of his dial feels more like a gain. Ranged Combat Expert is broken up on Lester’s dial, appearing near the top and at the bottom, but Veteran Bullseye like his in the middle. Combat Reflexes is the filling in Lester’s ES/D sandwich, but simply appears at the end of Vet Bullseye’s dial.

Cards That Work
“Oh look, it’s Bullseye! Let’s base him!” A time-honored tactic that has worked well to neutralize this piece in the past, and to an extent it works on Lester as well. To give the dude with a target on his forehead a break, try putting Slippery on him. For 15 points he has the almost guaranteed ability to break away from those that would tie him up in is mid-dial, and on one of those click his can do a breakaway Running Shot. A target on his forehead. No wonder everybody picks on him. Another way to dismantle the base Bullseye tactic is to equip him with Armor Piercing. It really helps out his mid-dial running Shot Clicks as well. To aid with his relative fragility, Force Field may also help Lester stick around a little longer. With it, Lester acquires Toughness on five (5) of his seven (7) clicks. Not too shabby for a 10 point investment. And before someone posts it, Nanobots. Blah, blah, blah. Frackin’ awesome! Blah, blah, blah. Nanobots.

Regarding Battlefield Conditions, the cards that make the most sense for Lester make the most sense for Sinister Syndicate theme teams as a whole. Radiation Leak helps to ensure that the damage Lester and the boys do sticks. And since the Sin Syn isn’t very long on Support or Regeneration, they’re not hurt by this overmuch. The same goes for Poor Teamwork. Not getting a ride from Vulture isn’t going to nerf these guys too badly, unless at some point they give the Sin Syn an alternate TA identical to the Green Lantern TA. Until that happens, however, it could do wonders to slow an opponent down and give these bad guys a better chance to get into position. Astral Plane also helps Charging Rhinos and Hydro-Men, HSS Speed Demons, and of course our dear Lester doing his Running Shot by turning hindering into clear terrain for movement purposes.

If ol_Dut had to Choose
LE Lester vs. Veteran Bullseye? Both are very good figures which makes it a tough decision, and both are clearly superior to the IC Bullseye. However, a choice must be made so I’m going with Lester and here’s why. Lester starts off with the nifty RS/PB combo. While the Vet may ping an Impervious character for one (1) click - maybe, Lester will do two to whomever he hits thanks to PB's penetrating damage. I like that better. To help put the smack down early I can push him to do it again the next turn, ensuring that I end his RS in hindering terrain so that he can clear in relative safety since the push puts him on Stealth. When he’s next able to act, he’s blasting away from hiding for three (3) damage with RCE. A couple of clicks later and he’s highly mobile again, shooting it up and lending his attack values along the way – or vice versa as the need may be.

The Vet has some early mobility, and the aforementioned three (3) damage with an 11 attack, but somehow that pales next to Lester’s plethora of speed powers and upfront Psychic Blast. Vet Bullseye may be able to pound out a bit more damage on his RCE clicks than Lester can, but to do so he must forgo one of his targets thereby rendering himself closer to the LE and “wasting” the points he’s paying for that second target. Sure the loss of the Vet’s Willpower is disappointing, but when an opponent sees it, that target on Bullseye’s forehead is going to start doing this glowing strobe light sort of thing, and without ES/D to turn that 17 into a 19, a clever lad will knock him off of Willpower before the Vet gets a chance to cash in.

On his very last click, Lester is still going at it with guns blazing; an eight (8) attack and three (3) damage with RCE forcing any opponent to take him seriously even when he’s very nearly dead. So what if his sculpt is too highly derivative of Dagger’s, and therefore, ergo, one is compelled to say he throws like a girl. Lester is highly mobile, hard to hit (thanks to ES/D and Combat Reflexes), and dangerous on every click. Sounds like a gem to me. And who knows? Maybe some night I will hook him up with Vet Dagger. She could wildcard Sin Syn, get Lester’s big 10, and the two could rain down a whole lot of death together. Then when they’re both about ready to do their best Bonnie and Clyde she could work her magic and heal him back up. Ahh, the possibilities.

Quick and Dirty Price Tag
At $15 to $20 a pop, Lester is one of the set’s pricier LE’s. However, his price should come down a bit as the supply increases. Win one or buy one, it doesn’t matter. Just get one.

Next week? Symbiote - and this time I mean it.

Thanks for reading!

Webheadman
11/09/2006, 11:55
here's the LE

#215 LE Lester
Team: Sinister Syndicate
Range: 10 /
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal81016271016171016189152691526815268141KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

veteren.

#081 V Bullseye
Team: No Affiliation
Range: 10 //
AE Base: Daredevil (Yellow)m-normala-normald-normalg-normal8111636101727916279152681526815267141KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Ghost_Rider
11/09/2006, 11:58
That dial should have Lester as a Sinister Syndicate.

Webheadman
11/09/2006, 12:00
i fixed it the wizkisd site says he doesn't then i remembred lookin at him and that he does have it AND ol dut said it in the review also fixed the 2 targets.

Ghost_Rider
11/09/2006, 12:02
Excellent Review. I got him from the Supernova prerelease as a prize, and I'm so glad I chose him because I didn't realize he had Sinister Syndicate until I came home. It does a lot for the character in playability.

Don't forget, Heightened Reflexes is another excellent choice for him, since he can use it for all seven clicks of his dial and makes him less susceptible to movement attacks.

anonym0use
11/09/2006, 12:14
Just one question... Does Lester have an AE dial? If so, is he worth playing with a Vendetta?

Great revue!

Webheadman
11/09/2006, 12:17
Just one question... Does Lester have an AE dial? If so, is he worth playing with a Vendetta?

Great revue!

Nope the LE does not have an AE base the REV does though.

Mr. Pilkington
11/09/2006, 12:23
The whole "push to RS into hindering and thus be stealthy" is evil. But then, Bullseye is about as evil as they get. One other thing to note is the lack of an AE base. Not sure if people see their Bullseye face DD a lot, or pack Vendetta since they don't see DD a lot, but Lester's having none of that.

Sigdr
11/09/2006, 12:31
The whole "push to RS into hindering and thus be stealthy" is evil.

Roy Harper Jr. can do it too, so play Roy with Lester to double your evil!

absolutvt69
11/09/2006, 12:41
Roy Harper Jr. can do it too, so play Roy with Lester to double your evil!

Heck yeah, Roy Harper Jr. is an awesome piece.

cheetor
11/09/2006, 12:48
Great review as ever. I didnt realise that Lester had the Sin Syn TA, thats really great for theme teams :cool:

Those guys need as many of those high attack team members as possible.

Jakgotbak
11/09/2006, 12:50
Great Review.

And the lack of an AE base just means I can run him along with Daredevil, Kingpin, and Punisher on my Ed Brubaker prison-break team. (that's right, I'm actually considering using Kingpin)

ol_Dut
11/09/2006, 12:51
Excellent Review. I got him from the Supernova prerelease as a prize, and I'm so glad I chose him because I didn't realize he had Sinister Syndicate until I came home. It does a lot for the character in playability.

Don't forget, Heightened Reflexes is another excellent choice for him, since he can use it for all seven clicks of his dial and makes him less susceptible to movement attacks.

Once I got the figure in hand and saw the Sin Syn TA, that really improved my overall view of Lester. And you're right, Heightened Reflexes would be yet another good insurance policy for him. There's a lot you can do with him as he stands and many ways he can be further improved upon with the judicious use of feats and BFC's. That's the mark of a good figure in my opinion.

AZS
11/09/2006, 12:54
Note: edited the original post to add Webheadman's dials.
Thanks WHM. (and of course thanks ol_dut for the review.)

Weighing in a point less than the Vet, one wouldn’t really expect Lester to see too many increases, but somehow, in the magical land of unicorns, fairies and the HeroClix point formula, evidently you can cash in one point to get a whole heck of a lot. From what I can tell, adding multiple targets to a shooter can add a lot to the figure's cost. It seems to be related to the overall range and depth of dial. So 2 targets on V Bullseye (@ 10 range) vs. 1 on the LE could account for most of the seeming point discrepancy.
Starting click numbers and powers also count for a lot (just look at the Sentinels), so a point less in AV and Damage could also be a factor.

Marlow
11/09/2006, 12:57
Heck yeah, Roy Harper Jr. is an awesome piece.

And with positioning he can use the PD TA to give Lester that +1 Attack!

tidge
11/09/2006, 13:10
Great Review.

And the lack of an AE base just means I can run him along with Daredevil, Kingpin, and Punisher on my Ed Brubaker prison-break team. (that's right, I'm actually considering using Kingpin)

I'm also looking forward to playing a variation of this team :)

Azs makes great points about things which go into the cost (The lack of and AE, and the switch to LE also have odd, offsetting effects).

Comparing the dials, I'd say the raw damage from the vet is probably the deciding factor for most folks (the extra ranged target adds to anti-swarm effects), but ultimately the change-up in powers, despite the reduced damage, makes me consider Lester as well.

Mr. Pilkington
11/09/2006, 13:21
Roy is a nice fig for the price, but he almost needs to do the running-gunning-pushes-to-the-bushes(TM) trick given his lack of powers and low defense. For Lester it is just one more trick in his pretty well rounded bag thereof. I also like the CR/Stealth click. Sure, ES/D is nice if you don't make it to hindering (or face Ultimates/Supes/TrickShot etc.) but I like giving him that much more help by letting him hide from range *and* bring his defensive A game to close combat. Makes sense (granted, I know Heroclix isn't always about making sense... just nice when it does :)).

Ghost_Rider
11/09/2006, 13:34
I'm also looking forward to playing a variation of this team :)

Azs makes great points about things which go into the cost (The lack of and AE, and the switch to LE also have odd, offsetting effects).

Comparing the dials, I'd say the raw damage from the vet is probably the deciding factor for most folks (the extra ranged target adds to anti-swarm effects), but ultimately the change-up in powers, despite the reduced damage, makes me consider Lester as well.

That's true. I think each has their own place depending on what you are looking to include for a particular team, and with the V and LE being so different one doesn't really outshine the other.

It's such a shame though that none of the new REV Bullseyes have the SS team ability... especially now that the old one is retired.

omni_42
11/09/2006, 13:39
Lesters definitely one of my favorite le's in this set. It seems to me that playing him without forcefield is mildy nutty, as 5 clicks of it can keep him going a lot longer.

He's definitly going on my ranged marksman team, slip in some ultimates hawkeye and Manticore. Maybe dagger as well. : )

Phantom
11/09/2006, 14:14
Good review, although Iím not sure I agree. Honestly, each of them depends on the situation. Vet Bullseye is the superior candidate for Armor Piercing, since he can ping two targets for 1 damage on almost every click. And the difference between a 10 and an 11 attack is huge. But Lesterís great for wild-cards and SinSyn teams.

As for BFCs, I canít believe you left out Power Dampening Field. Since Lester never deals more than 3 damage anyway, he loses nothing from this BFC, while still cramping tentpole teams that might rely on a single powerhouse.

I still dearly wish that at least one version of Bullseye had BCF on his Combat Reflexes clicks, though.

saturnflight
11/09/2006, 14:37
How does he qualify for Slippery?:rolleyes:

Phantom
11/09/2006, 15:00
How does he qualify for Slippery?:rolleyes:
Two clicks of Combat Reflexes mid-dial.

daponteclix
11/09/2006, 16:03
I have never seen Lester in person, so I didn't realize he had the SS team power. It's not listed on the wizkidz site at all. That does make him more powerful. But why so down on the IC vet? He was 44 points, like 20 points cheaper than either of these fools. He definitely has the SS team ability and pulls off an 11 attack with 10 range and two bolts. Throw trick shot on him and for the same points as the Sinister vet you get a long range sniper who is blowing guys away through stealth and other figures. Seems pretty useful to me.

Ghost_Rider
11/09/2006, 16:13
I have never seen Lester in person, so I didn't realize he had the SS team power. It's not listed on the wizkidz site at all. That does make him more powerful. But why so down on the IC vet? He was 44 points, like 20 points cheaper than either of these fools. He definitely has the SS team ability and pulls off an 11 attack with 10 range and two bolts. Throw trick shot on him and for the same points as the Sinister vet you get a long range sniper who is blowing guys away through stealth and other figures. Seems pretty useful to me.

The old IC vet was (and still is) a very good figure. The only problems are: A) He's retired. B) He's easy to base and make useless.

Of course, he does have the advantage of being much cheaper and the longer range can go a long way - especially on a rooftop.

Now, we just need a new Bullseye with a decent sculpt.

Mr. Pilkington
11/09/2006, 16:14
Well, IC V Bullseye lost a bit of ground when the multi-target ranged rules changed. That second target stopped meaning very much (sure, you can target two to hedge your bets, but he's only doing one damage since RCE is single-target only, and with an 11 attack he doesn't often need to hedge). He is still a staple in SinSyn teams for that opening attack value.

ol_Dut
11/09/2006, 17:05
Now, we just need a new Bullseye with a decent sculpt.

What? You don't like Mr. Lester Dagger?:laugh:

Ghost_Rider
11/09/2006, 17:09
Hey, if Lester KO's a bunch of rookies on the shopping centre map, does that make him a child "mall" Lester?:surprised

Mr. Pilkington
11/09/2006, 18:00
Heck, just put him on a team with Lian Harper on the mall map. Then you'd have a child mall lester no questions asked. ;)

Jakgotbak
11/09/2006, 20:08
SinSyn TA? Gawd!! Does Seth even read comics? :eek:

He's so clearly a Thunderbolt. He should have the Avengers TA. :laugh: ;)

trickster
11/09/2006, 20:30
I really liked it, thank you for doing these

I especially like the line:
Nanobots. Blah, blah, blah. Frackiní awesome! Blah, blah, blah. Nanobots.

If my grandmother was a clix she would be great with ICWO, protected, shellhead and nanobots

Sigdr
11/09/2006, 21:31
SinSyn TA? Gawd!! Does Seth even read comics? :eek:

He's so clearly a Thunderbolt. He should have the Avengers TA. :laugh: ;)

I'm actually curious if Seth gave a version of Sinister Bullseye the SinSyn TA for the express purpose of following up on the old Bullseye.

clixer11
11/09/2006, 21:55
Sinister Syndicate=Spider Ally Enemy is what I say to myself.

Marlow
11/10/2006, 02:44
To me Armour Piercing seems a bit wasted on Lester since he does not gain any value from it up front. The card I like for him is "Hightened Reflexes" since he can use it on every single slot!

VelvetGuru9
11/10/2006, 09:47
The article is pretty spot on. I've seen all these characters used in events and V Fantastic Forces Hawkeye does seem to be the most used and abused character. I know, I used him at a tournament last night at a venue GXE in Fort Lauderdale and I won by a large amount mainly due to his presence on the team. :cool:

Crispin
11/10/2006, 10:20
Hieghtened Reflexes works for both figs and shouldn't be overlooked.

I would also consider Armor Wars BFC, along with the AP it makes for a nasty little 2 damage on those mean old tanks.

And what is it with Wiz Kids and thier website? They make errors on the figs (like Lester doesn't have the SS TA) and they don't rewrite the power descriptions to reflect rules changes. This seems like it should be an easy fix (of course I am not a programmer so please correct me if I am wrong).

clixer11
11/10/2006, 14:31
Hieghtened Reflexes works for both figs and shouldn't be overlooked.

I would also consider Armor Wars BFC, along with the AP it makes for a nasty little 2 damage on those mean old tanks.

And what is it with Wiz Kids and thier website? They make errors on the figs (like Lester doesn't have the SS TA) and they don't rewrite the power descriptions to reflect rules changes. This seems like it should be an easy fix (of course I am not a programmer so please correct me if I am wrong).

It's intersting...with the AP and the Armor Wars BFC in play, there are instances when Bullseye will actually want to turn Psychic Blast off.

tidge
11/10/2006, 20:41
If my grandmother was a clix she would be great with ICWO, protected, shellhead and nanobots

Wait a minute...does Granny meet the Pre-Reqs for Shellhead? :o