PDA

View Full Version : Marquee Primer HeroClix A to Z – SuperNova Marquee Primer: Part 4 - Uniques

AZS
11/16/2006, 09:51
http://www.hcrealms.com/temp/msn-banner.gif
Marquee Primer Review
Part 4 - Uniques

This week the Marquee is upon us!
Prepare for battle on a cosmic scale with the week long review series.

We didn’t get to see all the figures in time for Prerelease, but now that that is passed, the remainder of the set has come to light. And it just hit shelves yesterday! So case reports and booster pulls are getting posted like mad.

However, because this was written in advance, the dials for this review are still based on the Prerelease Reports thread. (http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180866) Unless the figures have officially been revealed on WK site.
I apologize in advance for any possible errors.
Also, major props to AndrewTarius and everyone who posted coded dials in the reports thread. Thank you!

Here’s the review schedule:

Part 1 - Commons (http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182474)
Part 2 - Uncommons (http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182554)
Part 3 - Rares (http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182626)
Part 4 – Uniques
Part 5 – Cards & Special Objects (Fri)

These reviews are intended strictly for sealed, 300 point games with only this set.

Click ‘Read More…’ below for the full review.

AZS
11/16/2006, 09:56
Welcome to yet another Marquee Primer Review!

We are getting another ‘theme’ set, this time focusing on the intergalactic goings-on of the Marvel Universe. Starting with local mall heroes like Jubilee and Night Thrasher and going all the way up to the galactic titans like Thanos and Drax.

Even though there are a lot of big power pieces in this set, there is also a very balanced mix of strong mid-range figs (80-120 points) and lots of filler, like generics, monkeys, and other assorted low cost pieces that will make good companions to the high price figs, or stand on their own in a midrange cost team. This set could see teams with anywhere from just 1 figure loners to 6-7 fig ‘swarms.’
All around, it’s a pretty versatile set.

This review is for a 300 point, 3 booster Sealed event only.
Using a Smiley :) rating system.

:confused: – Steer clear of this figure.
:disappoin:disappoin – Not so good. Should be considered with caution.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: – Fair. Based on how you need to fill out a team.
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: – Good. Definitely consider this figure.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: – Great! Should be a top choice for your team.

These figures are compared only against the SuperNova set, so there will be only a few 1 or 5 smiley ratings here.
So please realize that even though your favorite character might not have gotten five smileys like you think it should, I’m just trying to be fair.

Everything written here is in the most general form possible.
Since the specific combination of figures pulled will work together to determine which are more playable than others. This is particularly true due to the high number of cooperative team abilities, like; Sinister Syndicate, Defenders, and Wildcards.

Lastly, this review is just my opinion. And these are a lot of work to write, so I ask you very kindly, please don’t get angry at me for my ratings. I give reasonable explanations for each choice. If you disagree (and you are welcome to do so), please try to do the same.

Brief comment about SuperNova and things to look out for:

As you’re well aware by now, there are a lot of high powered figures in this set.
But what that means for team building is that you should keep a few points in mind –

Make sure your team can deal a lot of damage. With lots of Inv/Impervious out there, along with deep dials, it will take a lot of clicks to put these figures down.

Don’t necessarily think that one great fig will automatically make you the winner. Unlike previous sets with just one or two big guns that could sway a game, there could be lots of people playing ‘tent pole’ teams. So don’t put all your faith on pulling Thanos or Thor.

The Space Map is not only a new map to learn, but there’s a new terrain type that will require different thinking. Halving range in space terrain will trip up a lot of players, and the knockback aspect is easy to forget.
Make sure you understand the map before you get to the tournament.

That’s all on that, now (finally) on to the review!

Part 4 – Uniques

#085 U Majestrix Lilandra
Team: SHIELD
Range: 6 ~
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal791727916279162681526815157161KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Will be great for theme teams, but probably not so good in sealed play. She has low damage, and Leadership and Mastermind don’t really help your team enough.
U - :disappoin:disappoin

#086 U Red Ghost
Team: Minions of Doom
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal7916279172691627815288142KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Well, you’ll get a phasing figure that starts with Outwit, that’s something. But he doesn’t really do much. If you pull some wicked cool combo to use with the Wildcard TA, go for it. Otherwise leave him alone.

#087 U Machine Man
Team: Avengers
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal109163991638916388152981528814288142KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

A fun figure with some fun stats and powers. L/C and Super Strength is always good, and Plasticity on clicks 2 and 3 can serve to tie down an opponent for a few turns. Late dial Perplex is also pretty helpful, if he lives that long.
U - :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

#088 U Karnak
Team: No Affiliation
Range: 0 ~
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal8111638111647101547914279152691626816368163KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

This is the #1 figure you’ll want to pull for the Marquee. Forget Thor and Thanos. Or don’t, they are this guy’s primary targets! High AV, Charge and Exploit Weakness are soo nice here. And if you push him once, his damage goes up! He also has Flurry and Blades on click 4, and a bunch more useful powers down to his last click. All for a very cheap 79 points!
U - :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

#089 U Power Princess
Team: Defenders
Range: 0 ~
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal10101748111748101636101538915279142781426816267162KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Yet another strong brick figure. Charge, Super Strength and good stats make her a solid choice for only 107 points. And like so many other figures in this set, she has a better attack on her second click, so if you see a good opportunity to push and press an attack, go for it.

#090 U Jack of Hearts
Team: Avengers
Range: 8 ~
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal109174910162891628915269163781637815367144KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Running Shot and Pulse Wave could be a big thing in this Marquee. Manage to set up a single target PW and you could even hit for 4 damage. Like Princes above, and many others, he also has a better AV on click #2, but his damage is down. Still, he’s very playable to at least his midpoint, and gets some big finishing clicks. An all around good bargain for 105 points. And with so many figs around the 100 – 125 mark like this, players looking for a win with one of the 200+ point figs may find themselves with a harder fight than they expect.

#091 U Super Skrull
Team: Skrulls
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal81017481016481116381015381016379162791527814268142KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

So cool. So cool! This is just straight up great piece. Without going into a long review, suffice to say that he has great stats and awesome power combos. Take your first good opportunity to push him for an attack. click #2 gets Stealth and Shape Change, while click #3 has Shape Change and Super Senses! Your opponent will be so frustrated just trying to land a hit here that they may not see Skrull hitting back until its too late!

#092 U Korvac
Team: Power Cosmic
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal1210174121118311101731110163109163109153991549814588135KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

To go from so good to so bad, so quickly, is so hard. :(
But that’s what we’ve got here with Korvac. The Power Cosmic’s version of 30 lashes with a wet noodle. Sure Korvac is loaded up with PsyBlast and Outwit, but also consider that you’re paying over 200 points for a fig with mostly 10 AV and 3 damage. His dial is so full of bright powers that he kinda misses the point on stats. Yeah, its hard to look at him and say he’s really bad, but keep in mind his very steep price and you start to see how he’s not quite worth the investment.
Word of advice though, if you face off against him, try to deal at least 4 damage in your opening attack. His second click has a higher AV and Def, but get over that hump and its all downhill from there.
And yeah, I know I’m going to get flack for giving him 1 smiley, but with so many power pieces in this set, I just cannot see Korvac winning a Marquee.
U - :confused:

#093 U Captain Mar-Vell
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal10101741011164101016399153981438914010111629101528914288132KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

This is a very strong dial for the points. Unfortunately the figure suffers with a short 6 range. In every other way, the Captain is great, but in this set, in this tournament, he’s going to get out-ranged. Heck, even Drax has an 8 range. Ok, so do you want to call him a close combat piece that just happens to start with Running Shot? Sure, if that helps you cope. But RCE on his ‘second wind’ clicks says otherwise. This figure can probably find a way to shine in constructed games, particularly something bigger than 300 points, but he’ll have an uphill battle in the marquee.

#094 U Binary
Team: X-Men
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal10916310916381016310915399162981528814387142KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Yet another well priced ranger. No, HSS cannot be used with Pulse Wave, but that shouldn’t stop you from giving her a second look. While other figures are coping with Running Shot, Binary’s HSS gives her the ability to attack figs in Stealth, or pick the better option against Combat Reflexes or ES/D. A click of Running Shot and 2 of Charge come later. Other powers like Poison, Steal Energy and RCE brighten up her dial and help keep her useful even past the opening HSS clicks. To top things off, you may even pull an X-man or Wildcard for her to trade clicks with in order to keep her on her better clicks after pushing.

#095 U Graviton
Range: 12 ~~~
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal81117310917489175981758917471016379163781537714477145KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

This is a tough sell. On the one hand, he has the potential to be a real powerhouse. What, with the 12 range and triple target Incap, not to mention the amazingly consistent 17 defense. On the other hand, his AV drops to 9 and stays there waaay too long for a figure this pricey. And what’s up with all the superfluous Attack slot powers? TK, Quake, more Incap? Is this Parallax’s cheaper brother?
Still, this is a tough call. If you think you can either keep him on his stronger first click, or make the clicks with high damage / low AV work for you, good luck. Personally I’m leaving this one off to the side no matter what else I pull. Too pricey. Too risky.

#096 U Thanos
Team: Power Cosmic
Range: 10 ~~
AE Base: REV Silver Surfer (Gray)
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal913184912174812173812184812175811175811174810163710164710155KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

And finally, the big draw of Supernova, the Mad Titan himself, Thanos.
This is hands down a great interpretation of the figure. The Stats and Powers are perfect and are made even better by the Power Cosmic TA.
So why does he rate only 3 smileys? Well, part of the issue is him being grounded. Straight away, base him with another grounded fig and you take away his PsyBlast. Ping him for just 1 damage and he loses Phasing, so he’s stuck dealing with whoever you sacrifice to tie him up. All the while Thanos gets pinged from range. Yeah, it won’t be an easy battle by any means, but if Thanos falls and your opponent has just one figure left standing, even a pog, he wins.
Worse still, he’s too pricey to pair with anyone else. There are no fliers or TK in the set for less than 33 points (he leaves 33 to spare). And only the very cheapest fodder will fit on a team with him, and what will that really do for you?
There’s no doubt that Thanos will rock on a constructed team, but as a grounded one man army, in this format he’s just too vulnerable.
Also, I understand that even the merest suggestion not to play Thanos if you pull him is akin to telling a kid he can’t play with his presents on Christmas morning, so you’re going to do whatever you want anyway. This is just my take on the figure. If I am lucky enough to pull a Thanos, I know I’ll take a serious look at all my other options before playing him (as opposed to a straight knee-jerk reaction to put him on the team without further consideration.)
Also please keep in mind that a 3 smiley rating is not a negative, it is perfectly neutral.
Now, with all that said, let the #####ing commence. :ermm:
U - :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Check back tomorrow for the final installment; Feats, BFCs, Pogs, and a very special objects.

j-pop
11/16/2006, 10:05
Thank you sir for all your work on these.
Much appreciated!

absolutvt69
11/16/2006, 10:07
I agree w/ just about all the ratings. Thanos MIGHT be a 4... but I think it really depends on who plays him. I totally agree on Karnak. He's the one figure you do NOT want to see if you have a big gun on your team. I faced him in the pre-release and took him out only because I knew I had to get to him before he got to me. He'll catch a lot of people off guard. Definitely the most underrated piece of the set in my opinion.

whitesilence
11/16/2006, 10:10
Karnak.

What a beast. I play Inhumans a lot, and he is just what I wanted.

Thanks Seth.

Oh, and good stuff as ever Azs, I wouldn't play Thanos in the marquee either.

anonym0use
11/16/2006, 10:10
Gotta agree with Thanos, but then, I wrote a whole article about it. I also don't recall any Korvac winning teams at my pre-release, although he was a bit of a monster...being able to steal energy 2x in a row thanks to his TA made him really tough. I watched as he tore through a lot of grunts, but was ultimately put down by some of the pricey vets in the set (Thor, Hyperion)...in all, another good primer article...

lukebuchanan
11/16/2006, 10:12
Karnak, one of my all time favorite characters. So glad that you recognized how incredible a piece he is, especially in this field of damage reducing players.

Super-Skrull's sculpt is doo-doo, put the old one on! :laugh:

Everything here was spot on, not griping please folks...

SilverySurfer
11/16/2006, 10:15
It's a great review. I love reading these things! Pretty much everywhere you said that people would disagree, I did, but that's just a matter of opinion.

ironman_#1
11/16/2006, 10:18
keep up the good work, since wizkids will not put the figures up we know we can always turn to azs. great review

Ghost_Rider
11/16/2006, 10:18
Fantastic review as always. The only things I disagree with are:

Majestrix: She should only get a single :confused:. 60 points is way too much for figure that doesn't really do much at all, and at least Red Ghost is a tad more useful.

Korvac: I agree with your assessment, however I still think he should rank a bit higher and have :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. Sure, his attack isn't as high as I'd like, but you have to give him credit for the prerelease. There's numerous reports of this guy holding his own and doing extremely well, so that should count for something.

Thanos: Definitely needs a higher rating of :cool::cool::cool::cool:. Just going from many of the prerelease reports, this guy was winning A LOT of events, so that alone deserves more than three.

thepunisher27
11/16/2006, 10:25
i liked your review but i have to dissagree on graviton hes a great piece not a figure that can run around and kill people but hes hard to take out

winndwalker
11/16/2006, 10:33
Nice work, man.

Karnak is an absolute MONSTER. I was lucky enough to pull him at the pre release. Only lost to a V Hyperion.

Which is funny cause the only thing the V Hyperion lost to was Thanos, who won the tournament.

Bottom line is yeah you make good arguments about the guys, and I respect and agree with the majority, but there's some further metagame considerations that may or may not be relevant. A LOT of people play their big figs like Thor or Graviton just cause they're cool, at least in my area competitive building runs in a thinner vein. And tentpole teams don't hold a candle to the one man tentpole Thanos.

But then again he took so many prereleases single handedly perhaps people will be ready for him.

Sigdr
11/16/2006, 10:35
I'm not sure what to make of Korvac, or whether or not to agree with your rating of him. On one hand, he did really well at the Prerelease I attended and in all the Prerelease reports I saw, but he never actually _won_ a Prerelease. Based on how well he did, I'd be inclined to give him a 3/5.

I'd also give Graviton a 3/5. I played one with a V Badoon (and E Sunspot too) at the Prerelease and came in second. He did really well, defeating a balanced team (with Power Princess and some version of Justice) and a V Thor team, only losing to....another Graviton. With all the Imperv in the set, all of Graviton's Incap is actually really useful.

Mr.Flibble_r
11/16/2006, 10:39
Good reviews as always Azs.
Quick question:
Are you going to review the Zombies on the off chance someone pulls one?

MB7-TheFlash
11/16/2006, 10:41
I disagree with the Thanos rating, simply because I saw how well he performed in the PreRelease (the map helps him)... and agree completely with the Karnak rating, as the only team that had the Thanos guy worried was the guy playing Karnak

absolutvt69
11/16/2006, 10:42
Let's put it this way... if I somehow pull a Karnak and a Thanos at the pre-release, there's no doubt in my mind which one I'm playing (and it won't be Thanos).

Ghost_Rider
11/16/2006, 10:43
Good reviews as always Azs.
Quick question:
Are you going to review the Zombies on the off chance someone pulls one?

Yeah, this is an excellent idea. Although I'd bet that most are :cool::cool::cool::cool: due to their low cost, self-healing, and decent stats. Their low speed is what prevents them from getting 5s.

Pseudotheist
11/16/2006, 10:44
if Thanos falls and your opponent has just one figure left standing, even a pog, he wins.

This isn't strictly true. Assuming an otherwise crappy pull where Thanos has to be fielded without support (or if it's just not worth putting other figs on there) a fallen Thanos could still win if he took out his 267 points plus at least twice the value of the surviving figures. So if a solo Thanos takes down 289 pints, he'll win regardless. For practical purposes, what this means is if your pog is the last man standing, you better hope you underbuilt.

Corwin
11/16/2006, 10:47
Love Karnak and all, but does EW really work vs the Power Cosmic? Or am I confusing the extra abilities Galactus and Dark Phoenix have against such TAs? Also, miss that SS roll for Karnak and even an injured big gun is going to do more than push him to his next great click ...

rancidtwinkie
11/16/2006, 10:47
I have to disagree with your review of Red Ghost.

Take another look at his dial. O the second click, he has Shape Change and Super Senses (and Stealth). Wild Card to Skrull and you have 2 chances at not being able to be targeted and one chance of having an attack miss. IMHO, that makes a good tie-up piece. If used correctly, he can stand beside a 200+ pt figure and use Stealth to prevent any support pieces from taking and be immune to Outwit.

Mr. Pilkington
11/16/2006, 10:49
Yah, EW works. It doesn't cancel the defense power, just ignores it. The big figures have additional special rules making them immune to various powers. PC TA is just permanent Willpower effect and immunity to Outwit.

Carpeted_Man
11/16/2006, 10:49
I agree completely with you review of Korvac, Thanos, and Graviton. In a marquee, that is exactly what those figures are worth.

However, outside of a sealed game I think all of those figures will be very dangerous (stunning blow on Graviton, Shellhead and protected on Korvac and Thanos, etc).

XocgX
11/16/2006, 10:50
In tomorrow's Very Special Objects.....Meteor learns about the dangers of drugs and alcohol with special guest: Nancy Reagan!

Ghost_Rider
11/16/2006, 11:02
I think players need to be a little cautious with Karnak. Don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic figure and will be extremely dangerous in sealed and constructed, but he does have a major weakness - mediocre defense.

Of course he'll be able to slice a nice chunk out of most people, but even then I still think I'd give most big guns the edge. It will only take two licks to get to the KOs of the Tootsie Karnak, and with all the praise going around about how dangerous he really is, it paints a big target on his forhead.

AZS
11/16/2006, 11:03
Here's what I'm thinking on how to face Thanos;
Build a well rounded team with 5 or 6 figures (shouldn't be too difficule with all the generics and pogs.)
Assuming you have a couple of fliers to carry sacrificial figs. Wait for Thanos to move, then carry a pog or cheap fodder piece and base Thanos with the pog, keeping the flier 1 square back.
This will force Thanos to either attack the pog, or move away. Either way, he can't attack the rest of your team and will have taken a second action, so he'll be pushed (even though pushing won't hurt him.) You now have 2 turns in a row to attack Thanos without him retaliating. (Your next turn, plus the turn after he clears.)

If you're worried about his Outwit, simply position your flier/fodder combo to block his line of sight.

Essentially what you're trying to do is exploit his action deficiency. He can take a total of 2 actions every 3 turns. Whereas your team should be able to take 2-3 actions every turn. Use your action advantage to wear him down. Dealing even a single click of damage to him is a major blow, it gets rid of his Phasing and forces him to attack your tie up piece or actually roll to break. And any time you can force your opponent to take an action that you've set up, he's playing your game your way.

Playing this strategy, you will lose figures, possibly a good portion of your team. And you'll have to push, a lot, to press the attack. But in the end, action advantage should win you the game... assuming you have figures that can hit and hurt Thanos.
So no, this strategy won't work for every team, and maybe not your team. But in the overall tournament, Thanos shouldn't be able to just stroll through 3 games with easy wins. And even if he totally dominates 2 games, he only has to lose 1 to lose it all.

On the other hand, a good well balanced team (that can face thanos) should be able to face most other teams well.
The players that will suffer though, are ones that don't push, push wrecklessly, or are scared to lose figures.

Because of the sheer number of highly capable mid-price figs in this set, I don't give this tournament to Thanos, or any tent pole fig, as a sure fire win.

Shadow40
11/16/2006, 11:06
Good review and I agree with a lot of them.

Mr. Pilkington
It will only take two licks to get to the KOs of the Tootsie Karnak, and with all the praise going around about how dangerous he really is, it paints a big target on his forhead.

Well, yes, he's now the secret weapon that's not so secret. In the Pre-Release, before folks knew everything out there he would have been a big surprise. Now folks know that painful things come in small green and white packages, so anyone with a big gun seeing him will target him first. The Pre-Release would have had a lot more people feeling invincible when they saw the big gun they had pulled.

Knowing is half the battle.

thraashman
I think Thanos could be really good in this marquee, but it's hard to really say. At the prerelease I went to 3 people pulled Thanos and none of them played him, and all 3 of those lost early so it might have been just as good to try out Thanos. I didn't see a Karnak pulled so I can't comment on how well he plays, I'll say that if I pull a Karnak and no TK he most likely won't be seeing play. Though I also remember learning from the Armor Wars marquee that you single high attack power piece doesn't always fare well. In AW I pulled a Magneto and played him over the Vet Titanium man and Vet Thunderball I pulled, my first opponent hit my with Inertial Interference Field and Magneto could no longer dominate the board. So Thanos might not work. I may play a Thanos if I pull one. If I pull a Karnak and a Super Skrull, I'll probably play Super Skrull though.

Sigdr
11/16/2006, 11:07
I think players need to be a little cautious with Karnak. Don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic figure and will be extremely dangerous in sealed and constructed, but he does have a major weakness - mediocre defense.

In constructed, I want to play him with Orphan and LE Boon on a low-defesne giantkiller team. Hooah!

winndwalker
11/16/2006, 11:09
Because of the sheer number of highly capable mid-price figs in this set, I don't give this tournament to Thanos, or any tent pole fig, as a sure fire win.

I like this attitude, and strategy. I'd give you rep for it if the system didn't want me to spread it around.

Azs your next step will be to pull both a Thanos and a balanced team, then play the Thanos and win the tournament with him :p

AZS
11/16/2006, 11:11
Of course [Karnak] will be able to slice a nice chunk out of most people, but even then I still think I'd give most big guns the edge. It will only take two licks to get to the KOs of the Tootsie Karnak, and with all the praise going around about how dangerous he really is, it paints a big target on his forhead.That's part of what makes the fig great though... he's so cheap! You'll have a tent pole piece going mano-a-mano with some scrappy 79 point fig! That means you still have the rest of your team bearing down on the opposing brick.

Even if Karnak only gets in 2 hits, I'll be for probably half of the brick's clicks, enough for the rest of your team to take him out.

I think in some situations Karnak will be a Kamikaze, run in for a big hit and then get knocked out, but opening up an opportunity for you to finish the target off by other means.

olcottr
11/16/2006, 11:12
Assuming Karnak gets in the first shot (he can afford a TKer and Thanos can't), he'll put the Mad Titan on his fourth click. K better have another attacker that can hit an 18 or he's toast.

With a good outwitter, Graviton could own Thanos in sealed, assuming you can roll that first 7. :) Like you said, you'll also need a tie-up piece.

I actually like Korvac, but I'll probably save him for constructed events.

pyr66
11/16/2006, 11:15
Thanos is one of those figures you can't rate just on stats. You have to either play him or play against him to feel the sheer dominance of this figure. At the Pre-Release I ran a Thanos with an Exp. Skrull and I won. The only figure to give me problems was Korvac whom I only beat because of Regen(2x). In a constructed tournament he is impossible.
Yes there are tactics that can take him down but in a sealed event if you don't pull exactly what you need then your toast. I think a Karnak and Power Princess combo could take him on but what are the odds of you pulling both. Plus the space map benefits him so much that it is his map.

I love Thanos and I debated whether or not to play him at the Pre-release because I pulled Binary and Vindicator Vet. but I just didn't have the right backup for them.

He can be beaten but in a sealed event it will be difficult. Constructed would theortically be simplier if you knew you were facing him ahead of time. He should have a 4 or a 5.

Korvac should have a 3 because he is a very dominant figure as long as he doesn't get hit.

AZS
11/16/2006, 11:15
With a good outwitter, Graviton could own Thanos in sealed...I dont' understand what you mean by this... since Thanos is immune to Outwit, what will "a good outwitter" do for Graviton's team?

Ghost_Rider
11/16/2006, 11:17
Here's what I'm thinking on how to face Thanos;
Build a well rounded team with 5 or 6 figures (shouldn't be too difficule with all the generics and pogs.)
Assuming you have a couple of fliers to carry sacrificial figs. Wait for Thanos to move, then carry a pog or cheap fodder piece and base Thanos with the pog, keeping the flier 1 square back.
This will force Thanos to either attack the pog, or move away. Either way, he can't attack the rest of your team and will have taken a second action, so he'll be pushed (even though pushing won't hurt him.) You now have 2 turns in a row to attack Thanos without him retaliating. (Your next turn, plus the turn after he clears.)

If you're worried about his Outwit, simply position your flier/fodder combo to block his line of sight.

Essentially what you're trying to do is exploit his action deficiency. He can take a total of 2 actions every 3 turns. Whereas your team should be able to take 2-3 actions every turn. Use your action advantage to wear him down. Dealing even a single click of damage to him is a major blow, it gets rid of his Phasing and forces him to attack your tie up piece or actually roll to break. And any time you can force your opponent to take an action that you've set up, he's playing your game your way.

Playing this strategy, you will lose figures, possibly a good portion of your team. And you'll have to push, a lot, to press the attack. But in the end, action advantage should win you the game... assuming you have figures that can hit and hurt Thanos.
So no, this strategy won't work for every team, and maybe not your team. But in the overall tournament, Thanos shouldn't be able to just stroll through 3 games with easy wins. And even if he totally dominates 2 games, he only has to lose 1 to lose it all.

On the other hand, a good well balanced team (that can face thanos) should be able to face most other teams well.
The players that will suffer though, are ones that don't push, push wrecklessly, or are scared to lose figures.

This strategy definitely works, as unfortunately it was used against my V Kang.:surprised

But you do need to remember that pulling a good assortment of generics and bystanders from three boosters is a lot easier said than done. Some players don't pull any bystanders at all, and there aren't as many generics as there are in previous expansions.

Of course, tent pole teams aren't a guarantee, but you do need to give credit for all these reports going around about how Thanos and Surfer decimated pretty much everyone at the prerelease.

duncan432
11/16/2006, 11:23
I pulled Vet Surfer and Thanos at the Pre-release. I wanted to play Thanos but I went with Surfer which won me the event. Thanos has a hard time with mobile flyers but rules in constructed as I have played him many times since the pre-release.

techdog
11/16/2006, 11:24
I pulled thanos from my brick last night, put him out there withV-Justice in a 400pt game, he dominated. Put Thanos out there after that in a 300pt game, he was swarmed to death. A great figure, a great representation of the character, not a stand alone army.

dariusq
11/16/2006, 11:25
You make a good point about Thanos' cost in sealed format.

In my very first tourney I pulled an IC Thanos and made the very mistake of fielding him without enough support. I came in 2nd that day with only one loss but the paranoia of trying to keep him from getting whacked was tremendous. Still, if I do pull him I'd still consider using him. No doubt he's the baddest guy out there. If I pull a R Skrull with him for cover then it is so on. It will also depend on what everyone else pulls too.

Degrelle
11/16/2006, 11:27
Karnak is awesome and really helped me in my pre-release. Him and R Dr Spectrum to throw him into combat were great combo (backed up by Vet War Machine). Only problem was he got pinged by ranged combat guys. And then his awesome Combat Reflexes were worth nothing.

So just be realy careful who gets a shot on you. And dont miss your first attack like I did - that REALLY hurt. But other than that, he's a true beast.

AZS
11/16/2006, 11:28
But you do need to remember that pulling a good assortment of generics and bystanders from three boosters is a lot easier said than done. Some players don't pull any bystanders at all, and there aren't as many generics as there are in previous expansions.Seriously?
I think there's more generics in this set that in any set in the last 2 years.
We've got 16 alien generics straight up (Kree, Skrull, Sh'iar, Baddoon), plus generic Monkeys (not necessarily fodder, but they do count as generics), and plenty of cheap figs like R; Jubilee, Tessa, Nocturne, Night Thrasher, Raza, and more. Plus plenty of Pogs.

I'm not saying you should throw a fig on a team with just to sacrifice them, but just about anyone should pull at least a couple cheap figs/pogs to round out a team with.
And keep an ear out for anyone pulling Thanos, they're sure to shout and tip everyone off. (That, or the person sitting next to them will start to whine - probalby loudly.)

truxartis
11/16/2006, 11:33
I'm not sure what to make of Korvac, or whether or not to agree with your rating of him. On one hand, he did really well at the Prerelease I attended and in all the Prerelease reports I saw, but he never actually _won_ a Prerelease. Based on how well he did, I'd be inclined to give him a 3/5.

I actually _won_ a pre-release with Korvac. ;)

When I pulled him, I expected him to loose quite badly. But even though I won with him, I wouldn't give him more than a 3. I was quite lucky in what else I pulled with him, R Tessa, E Kree and Forbush Man and Jane Foster (I want to say I had somebody else, but I think not) between the double enhancement and the great tie up pogs, honestly, in only one game did Korvac even get beyond his second click, and that was in the final round against Thanos.

To prove it's what you have, in the Second pre-release I played later that day, I pulled Korvac again and only went 1-1, loosing to a V Kang team.

Ghost_Rider
11/16/2006, 11:37
We've got 16 alien generics straight up (Kree, Skrull, Sh'iar, Baddoon), plus generic Monkeys (not necessarily fodder, but they do count as generics), and plenty of cheap figs like R; Jubilee, Tessa, Nocturne, Night Thrasher, Raza, and more. Plus plenty of Pogs.

Only 12 alien generics.:laugh:

Plus, being a "generic" doesn't necessarily mean a cheap, swarming figure. Look at OMACs, and even in Supernova, some of these aliens are topping out at over 40 points.

It all boils down to the combination of figures that you pull. If you just put on a handful of cheaper figures on your team - without a main attacker or two that can deal with Impervious and to a lesser extent - Power Cosmic - you will be in big trouble.

And there are plenty of bystanders, but if all you get are feats and battlefield conditions it won't help much.

absolutvt69
11/16/2006, 11:39
I think in some situations Karnak will be a Kamikaze, run in for a big hit and then get knocked out, but opening up an opportunity for you to finish the target off by other means.

That's exactly how I'd use him. Get the first hit... and if you make SS roll, push him and get another. If he dies after that... so what. He's more than made up for his points by doing 6 clicks of straight damage. The fact that he's so dangerous and so cheap is what makes him good. He's like either Justice Is Served on steroids or a mini-Magog. He probably won't live but he should be able to take a chunk out of someone who is a lot more points than him.

fatfinley
11/16/2006, 11:40
I disagree with the Thanos rating, simply because I saw how well he performed in the PreRelease (the map helps him)... and agree completely with the Karnak rating, as the only team that had the Thanos guy worried was the guy playing Karnak

I agree with this. All Thanos's ruled everyone but another Thanos at our PR.

winndwalker
11/16/2006, 11:41
Get the first hit... and if you make SS roll, push him and get another. If he dies after that... so what. He's more than made up for his points by doing 6 clicks of straight damage. The fact that he's so dangerous and so cheap is what makes him good. He's like either Justice Is Served on steroids or a mini-Magog. He probably won't live but he should be able to take a chunk out of someone who is a lot more points than him.

This is how I used my Karnak in the prerelease. And I must say it's a good strategy but it REALLY SUCKS if you miss the first hit against a Vet Hyperion.

Nighthawk
11/16/2006, 11:42
AZS, PLEASE REVIEW THE ZOMBIES!!!!

Pretty please.....

absolutvt69
11/16/2006, 11:47
This is how I used my Karnak in the prerelease. And I must say it's a good strategy but it REALLY SUCKS if you miss the first hit against a Vet Hyperion.

Ha ha yeah any strategy sucks if you can't hit your rolls. Same thing happened to me in the final round of the prerelease w/ E Thor. I missed my first attack and that was pretty much it.

AZS
11/16/2006, 12:08
Of all the near 200 point figs in the set, personally I'd be most likely to play Vet Hyperion (If I were lucky enough to pull him.)

Corwin
11/16/2006, 12:21
Of all the near 200 point figs in the set, personally I'd be most likely to play Vet Hyperion (If I were lucky enough to pull him.)Agreed. In our pre-release, VH owned Thanos and a V Surfer, because he had ideal support figs, and let's face it, HSS, even on the Space Map (and children, be sure to remember to halve the half-ranged attack limit your opponent may forget about!) is NUMMA WON! Adding two more spaces to hit and run? Oh, yeah!

Sigdr
11/16/2006, 12:27
Agreed. In our pre-release, VH owned Thanos and a V Surfer, because he had ideal support figs, and let's face it, HSS, even on the Space Map (and children, be sure to remember to halve the half-ranged attack limit your opponent may forget about!) is NUMMA WON! Adding two more spaces to hit and run? Oh, yeah!

Why is Van Halen the first thing I thought of when you said VH?

I don't even like Van Halen... :confused:

Phantom
11/16/2006, 12:27
I totally disagree on Thanos. He's a :cool::cool::cool::cool: fig easily, especially over a 9AV/16 defense nobody like Machine Man.

I really think you're overestimating how easy it will be to put together a balanced team capable of dealing with his high defensive numbers before he wrecks them.

ElMuerte
11/16/2006, 12:34
My E Thor whooped Korvacs ### last night in our booster draft, and considering the guy played an Alpha Strike BFC I chose Power Cosmic as my arch enemy so I wound up taking 424 points.

Sigdr
11/16/2006, 12:43
I totally disagree on Thanos. He's a :cool::cool::cool::cool: fig easily, especially over a 9AV/16 defense nobody like Machine Man.

I really think you're overestimating how easy it will be to put together a balanced team capable of dealing with his high defensive numbers before he wrecks them.

That 9AV/16 defense nobody can tie up Thanos like nobody's business (and smack Thanos for 5 if Thanos ignores him), especially if both are on their second clicks. and when Thanos hits him, he gets Perplex. All that for 200 points less than Thanos.

Who's the nobody now? :p

elfholme
11/16/2006, 12:50
Gotta chime in in support of Korvac. In the PR he carried me to two victories out of three games, and the only reason I lost the third game was that my opponent was smart enough to block my LOS to Karnak until he could get in to soften Korvac up.

In the end I took third place, and I think Korvac deserves a couple more smileys. He's just a beast, and the Power Cosmic makes up for his lack of move-and-attack powers (in addition to keeping him safe from Outwit, of course ;)).

I totally agree on your Karnak assessment. He's an even bigger beast (for the points) than Korvac, and as I am a big Inhumans fan, I'm happy that they made the little guy right! :)

Fayit23
11/16/2006, 12:53
ueah i got to use my thanos yesterday. pretty much pwned everyone to the extreme. its not like he falls fast because when he does start to fall he gets to his 5 damage with prob control... and if you do like i did and play Extra ordinary day you will probly see alot more critical misses like my poor Foe saw lol.

AZS
11/16/2006, 12:55
Adding two more spaces to hit and run (HSS)? Oh, yeah!Oh *no*!

The Space map only grants +2 to movement on "Move" actions, not Power actions - as HSS, Charge, RS, and Phasing are.
(HSS was changed to a Power Action in the recent rules update.)

This is something a lot of people miss. :o

Phantom
11/16/2006, 12:56
That 9AV/16 defense nobody can tie up Thanos like nobody's business (and smack Thanos for 5 if Thanos ignores him), especially if both are on their second clicks. and when Thanos hits him, he gets Perplex. All that for 200 points less than Thanos.

Who's the nobody now? :p
Unless you’re running a Perplexer or two, MM has to roll a 9 to hit Thanos, and still has to deal with Impervious. That’s an 11% chance to deal damage.

Yeah, you *might* land that hit, but with a 90% failure rate, I’m comfortable taking my chances. Heck, even with that Perplexer, you still only have an 18.5% chance to hit. I’m comfortable with those odds.

Sigdr
11/16/2006, 13:07
Unless you’re running a Perplexer or two, MM has to roll a 9 to hit Thanos, and still has to deal with Impervious. That’s an 11% chance to deal damage.

Yeah, you *might* land that hit, but with a 90% failure rate, I’m comfortable taking my chances. Heck, even with that Perplexer, you still only have an 18.5% chance to hit. I’m comfortable with those odds.

On the other hand, if Machine Man misses and Thanos wastes his turn attacking / running away from / breaking away from Machine Man, the Machine Man player still wins. Either way Machine Man is still around, and with the first scenario, Machine Man ends up on Perplex to help out the figs that matter.

winndwalker
11/16/2006, 13:29
One thing about Thanos in constructed play: I looooove swingline!

rwint1968
11/16/2006, 13:44
Thanks AZS. I didn't realize that so many of the uniques in this set were actually considered "playable" in sealed format. I know have a much better idea of what to hope for when I play in marquees over the next few days.

:cool:

AZS
11/16/2006, 13:59
AZS, PLEASE REVIEW THE ZOMBIES!!!!

Pretty please.....Probably not... sorry.

Then again, here would be my review...

You pulled a Zombie, good for you. What do you care now if you win a measly LE or not? Stop complaining and go list it on ebay.

Monkey Joe
11/16/2006, 14:10
I played Thanos at a prerelease and came in second. Lost to a Korvac team of all things.

Uknown352
11/16/2006, 14:51
I agree with everything you said.

In my pre-release I pulled Super Skrull and he was easily one of the most annyoing figures there. To top that off I pulled a R Ant-Man. Super-Skrull is one of most efficient 150 point pieces in this set. I was one of the few people at my pre-release not hoping for a Thanos.

Wolverine_Hulk
11/16/2006, 14:54
I could care less what I pull. I will try to play as many uniques as possible, though that is if I pull a unique.

ohoni
11/16/2006, 15:16
Good reviews overall, but I'd give Thanos a 4, particularly if you also pull a Skrull Infiltrator. He's just too annoying to take down to be comperable to other 3 pieces.

Impulse-ive
11/16/2006, 15:19
I think your reviews are missing the fact that the map you have to play on makes some figs better than their stats suggest. Korvac won a Pre-release event in my area and Capt. Marvel made the top 4 only losing to a Thanos who hit 4 imp rolls. Also Jack of Hearts should be much lower. A 9 attack, witha trange of 8, 1/2'd with PW and again from the "Space terrain". He was very ineffective in every tournament. Karnak is great if you have TK but, if not he gets nails by RS before he's in Charge range. I saw him fall quite easily to a Capt. Marvel.

razorramon31
11/16/2006, 15:25
Even though it is a sund review and even a rating on Thanos...Still he is the ultimate beast in the set. I don't have any statistical numbers but from what I saw at the prerelease the one person who did pull him(one of my best friends) won outright without breaking a sweat. Matter of fact he described the feeling as a "boredom of exitement". He basically put his figure on the map and within minutes (I think the longest match for him took 10 minutes) he was saying, "Nice game. Good luck in your next game." His "devastation" was that incredible. You have to pull a perfect combination of figures and some great rolling to even hope to hurt him. His 18 DV is sickening, not to mention that you will be on the recieving end of 4 damage one way or the other (PB or Outwit a Defensive power). Oh and did I mention the most prolific AV in the game? He has by far the best AV of any figure ever made?!?!?! And if you get lucky enought to hit him and hurt him (meaning your probably only going to do 1 or 2 clicks of damage or maybe even that rare 3) You probably have to try to hit an 17 or even 18 DV again!!!!! OH and his AV does drop at this point (to a mere godly 12). And if by some freakish luck of nature you do actually hurt him near mid dial we then you only have to face PC and a 17 INV!!!
THis guy is the piece of all pieces. I would even dare to take him to a regular tournament, pack him with a few feats and let him loose all the way to first place.
Sometimes, there are some figs that defy all understanding and logic. Thanos is one of those figures. He is virtualy indestructible.

GreenLantrn128
11/16/2006, 15:37
#091 U Super Skrull
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal81017481016481116381015381016379162791527814268142KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

So cool. So cool! This is just straight up great piece. Without going into a long review, suffice to say that he has great stats and awesome power combos. Take your first good opportunity to push him for an attack. click #2 gets Stealth and Shape Change, while click #3 has Shape Change and Super Senses! Your opponent will be so frustrated just trying to land a hit here that they may not see Skrull hitting back until its too late!

Shape Change, Super Sences, and Skrull TA=virtually indestructable

Wolverine_Hulk
11/16/2006, 16:05
You should almost have a seperate review for the map...

BB_downunder
11/16/2006, 16:08
Awesome. I have seen Superfro's mag scans and a heap of spoilers but this series of articles is the most useful of primers.

Excellent.

I so want James McDonald Hudson (any version), Sage and Jack-of-hearts. Drawing any would be the coolest! And then there's Karnak...

X-Inferno
11/16/2006, 16:30
Excellent review... I've always loved your Marque Primers Azs!

It's hard to deny facts though... Thanos was owning pre releases all over the country. And the reason He's coming in first, is because any Thanos team that manages 3 wins, is almost guaranteed to have a the winning record. Yes in theory, building a well rounded 6 figure team should have no troubles toppling the big Purple Beast.... but it's a very rare occasion where some one pulls all the right pieces out of 3 boosters!
Look at it this way, if you could give marque teams ratings, based on their effectiveness... the average team would probably fall around the 60% margin. If you pull a Thanos, you're already ahead of the game, because Thanos by him self is easily around the 75% margin. Add in a good BFC, feat of filler, and you're playing with 80% effective team.

Thanos came in 2nd at our pre-release, out of 37 players... only loosing to... oh wait... another Thanos team! :eek:

AZS
11/16/2006, 16:39
To an extent, I think a lot of the prerelease results came from people not knowing the figures. Point in case, one guy at my marquee played Power Princess for 2 and a half games and never realized her second click was better because he hadn't pushed her.

I think when people know more about what the figs can do they'll be better prepared to play with and against them.
(For example, know to get Thanos on his 3rd click and he's barely a threat. Then deal 2 more clicks of damage to skip his defense bump. etc.)

I've never said Thanos was a pushover, but I still don't think he's the automatic victory everyone is painting him as.

Phantom
11/16/2006, 16:53
Thanos, alone, may have trouble. But it’ll be unlikely that you won’t pull *something* to back him up. Even some rookie fodder or pogs will be useful in protecting Thanos until he gets into position. Plus, a lot of figs have that New Activation Click, where their powers and abilities don’t really get going until their second click. There are many figs who start with a 9AV that Thanos won’t really worry about until at least turn 4.

Sigdr
11/16/2006, 16:56
To an extent, I think a lot of the prerelease results came from people not knowing the figures. Point in case, one guy at my marquee played Power Princess for 2 and a half games and never realized her second click was better because he hadn't pushed her.

Indeed, at the Prerelease there were a lot of players, including myself, saying "Hmm...should I push this guy? I don't know what he has next." In my case, I ended up pushing the V Badoon and found out he not only had more than one, but in fact had three clicks of Enhancement. Pleasant surprise. On the other hand, I checked out my Graviton's full dial after the first game (he never got off his first click in that game) and was very pleased I didn't push him.

Palm
11/16/2006, 17:17
I pulled Korvac at my pre-release. I couldn't resist playing him, and then wish I had!
Went 0-3; even a kid who hardly knew how to play beat me.... :o

TheProphecy212
11/16/2006, 17:31
I have to Disagree with Korvac getting 1 smiley. Sure he isn't great for the points, but he not the worse Unique in this set, and he is definitely better than Majestrix Lilrandra in a marquee.
Otherwise good article. Definitely agree with Karnak. He's an animal!

Thawmus
11/16/2006, 17:41
We had a little sealed tournament last night with boosters that everyone bought.

Karnak= sealed GOLD.

He ate:

E Silver Surfer
U Graviton
E She Hulk
E Mantis
E Skrull

Mjolnir
11/16/2006, 18:31
I was reading the excellently written article thinking: Azs is going to catch @#$% for some of these choices..... he's stepping on a lot of peoples favorite toes. And the artful wrangling made him sound like he was running for public office.......

"I didn't rate that fig like that because I like him, I mean I don't like him that much but don't think that because he's not my favorite fig the fig is worthless, it's not worthless but then with the right support it can rule, but not really rule because any fig can rule and should be encouraged... (ad nauseam)

:laugh:

Good stuff! (both.)

X-Inferno
11/16/2006, 19:04

I think when people know more about what the figs can do they'll be better prepared to play with and against them.
(For example, know to get Thanos on his 3rd click and he's barely a threat. Then deal 2 more clicks of damage to skip his defense bump. etc.)

I've never said Thanos was a pushover, but I still don't think he's the automatic victory everyone is painting him as.

Great points!

I will agree, No figure is an auto-win! However, if you pull Thanos, and nothing much else... you're allready ahead of most of the competiton! :)

truxartis
11/16/2006, 20:36
I played Thanos at a prerelease and came in second. Lost to a Korvac team of all things.

Which pre-release did you play in? Mostly, because I wonder if that was me.

DeltaPi1049
11/16/2006, 23:40
Well, Thanos won the marquee tonight. My Karnak team came closest to beating him. I had him down to his regen clicks and of course he rolls a six. That was it. Couldnt do much after that. Came in third with my team of U Karnak, V Sunspot, R She Hulk, and R Doc Spectrum. For the other two people who played against him, they all got goose egged. I felt proud knowing that I had at least damaged him to a point of regen.

Funny enough, I also pulled vet Surfer, but decided against playing him. Personally I think this marquee should have been 400pts, but that would have only made thanos that much better.

domino33
11/16/2006, 23:51
Korvac went 3-0 at our Pre-Release, as did Thanos. Korvac won due to better opponent records as we only played three rounds. I had the misfortune of playing against Thanos in round one and knocking him to his 5 damage click with PC. I never hit him again and my figures melted away like Nazis before the Ark of the Covenant.

He's DEFINITELY a four or five and Korvac is a solid three. The Power Cosmic is not to be underestimated. Otherwise, I agree with most everything! :)

cephusdog
11/17/2006, 00:48
Korvac dominated our Pre-release, beating the Mad Titan among others. He is not as expensive as Thanos, letting you to play a few tie up, finishing pieces. He also is a flier which lets him use Psychic Blast when based. I'd rate Korvac much higher than Thanos.

2 Gun Kid
11/17/2006, 01:32
@ the PreRelease I ran Korvak, Karnak and Space Phantom. They fought, and when they got hit Korvak just healed Karnak. Dont underestimate Outwit and power cosmic.

adamical
11/17/2006, 02:52
Nah, the monkeys aren't generics. They're specific monkeys.

Dr. Briefcase
11/17/2006, 04:23
Some of the ratings are good (eg. Karnak is a definite killer), some are ok (eg. Power Princess is that much better than Captain Marvel?!?), and some are just wrong and misleading.

Machine Man is a 4?!?! That 9 attack look scary or something? Also, I don't think I'm paying 63 points for a "tie-up piece". The Space Phantom is a good tie-up piece. Machine Man is an expensive harrasser.

Jack of Hearts, another awesome 9 attack with a 4 rating. Seriously ASZ, you pull a Machine Man, Jack of Hearts and Thanos, and Thanos is your third choice figure?!?! Yeah, I believe that :rolleyes:.

Korvac a 1? He's easily a 3, the power cosmic for realtively low cost affords him good support to shore up his weak late dial. His front clicks are far too strong to place him as a 1. He wouldn't be my first pick, but I'd choose him over a team based around the awesome might of Machine Man :rolleyes:.

Thanos is a 5. Not a 4 and definitely not a 3. He won the sealed in WWT. He's won several pre-releases and will win several marquees. Giving him a low rating is something of a disservice to the common player. Sure he can be beaten if you've memorized his dial and pull the perfect swarm team, but for the 90% of players that end up having to field a 3-4 figure team it's just not going to be feasable. For a newbie, sure you're probably not going to do well with Thanos, but you're also not going to do well with AZS's Jack of Hearts/Machine Man team either. Stick with Thanos, the odds are just too good for him.

However, if your choices boil down to Thanos, vet Surfer, or vet Hyperion, vet Hyperion is your best choice, but then again your fellow players will probably beat you to death if they see you pull those figures :angry:.

Dr. Briefcase

X-Inferno
11/17/2006, 04:34
Well, Thanos didn't win today's Marque... but I'm basing that on him being played by a 13 year old, who still managed to sweep 2 of his 3 games, and he was playing like 23 points short!

Unfortunately I never got to play him... instead I got to face the V Kang team who beat him, for the 1st place spot!

My opponents team was:
V Kang 199
R Aleta 51
R Kree Warrior 22
R Shi'ar Warrior 27

Total 299

My Team was:
V Nova 87
U Karnak 79
+ Sneak 5
R Dr. Spectrum 69
V Badoon Commander 37
Pog Forbush Man 4

Total 281

Odly enough I didn't loose a figure... Kang came in for the alpha strike, which was pretty much expected. He did 5 damage to Dr' Spectrum, eliminating my TK, but not killing him... I swarmed Kang, missing all my attacks with Nova and Karnak, so Decided to go for the hail marry, and retaliate with a 7 attack Dr. Spectrum... of course I can roll and 11, just not a 7... Kang takes 4 since Spectrum was standing next to the Badoon, -2, and that's pretty much all she wrote!

So my team came in first place, on wins and points... So for any one going to a marque this weekend, if you pull Karvak + TK... he's a must! And I also give V Nova an Awesome rating!! One great tactic for Nova is to pick up a Desk, then push to shoot next round giving Nova a 20 defense with the desk! Also don't be afraid to place him the line of fire, especially if your opponent can only a total of 4 damage to him... After 3 clicks, he lands on that Sweet spot of 3 damage, HSS, 9 attack and super strength! :eek:

Lee the Great
11/17/2006, 07:54
Great reviews, but here's one thing I'm not sure anyone mentioned...on Super Skrull's 3rd and last click, he has Stealth, The Skrull TA, Shape Change, and Super Senses. That is one hard mother to hit!!

AngeHamm
11/17/2006, 08:57
Excellent reviews. Karnak and Super-Skrull are indeed the gems of this set.

Ghost_Rider
11/17/2006, 10:07

I don't think he is an automatic victory either. Anything can be beat, even the veteran Superman was taken down a few times in the Icons events.

But with Thanos giving a lot of people such a hard time and becoming victorious in many games, I'd say that deserves a 4. That's all I was trying to say.:cool:

apple_ba*d
11/17/2006, 12:37
#091 U Super Skrull

So cool. So cool! This is just straight up great piece.

I couldn't agree more. I'm giddy about this figure.

Mr. Pilkington
11/17/2006, 12:44
#

The dial is great, but I wish his "invisible" stretching arm didn't look so gimpy. Looks like a clear wet noodle, which is not very intimidating. I prefer the original sculpt, but hey, I'm happy to have Skrulls again!

Masopic
11/17/2006, 19:25
*wonders if we'll see the cards review today*

Wolverine_Hulk
11/18/2006, 20:37
Is Korvac grounded or flyer? I say this because on Wizkids' site he is a flyer.

flatmatt
11/18/2006, 20:45
Korvac is *definitely* a flier, at least according to the one I pulled today.

Wolverine_Hulk
11/18/2006, 21:05
Ok, I was just wondering because Azs has him listed as grounded, and I don't own him.

zero_cochrane
11/19/2006, 06:38
I came third in a marquee today using Thanos - and as I had built to exactly 300 points (with a 33-point Badoon Guard) I had to take the fight to my opponents. If I didn't KO at least one figure, my opponent would have won by default in each game.

Considering the difficulty of playing tentpole teams, not to mention 200+ point figures with no move-and-attack powers (Parallax, anyone?), I think that a figure that can go 2-1 should probably be worth 4 stars.

clixer11
11/19/2006, 11:48
Thanos is definitely a 4-star figure.

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2365371&posted=1#post2365371

Mr. Pilkington
11/19/2006, 21:44
Captain Mar-vell did rather well for me in the marquee. If I hadn't crit missed on a push I might have won my third game and gone 3-0.

carterhall98
11/20/2006, 01:32
Az,

I could not disagree with you more about Thanos. I won a local Marquee when I pulled him. He rocked!

Teamed him up with the exp. skrull and I stomped 'em. Made me think I was not going to enjoy playing the big lug. Is he another vet Icons Supes?

DarkPoeT
11/20/2006, 05:01
Yesterday, i finally open my brick, and I'm realy realy, dissapointed about all the clix that i get,
i get 5 exp fig, 3 vet, 4 uniques, and the rest only rockies,
So i ask you something, all of you had the same luck than me?????
Because i think that something has to be wrong also i don't get any skrull.
some aletla, trasher, and a pair of monkeys and 1 hyperion rockie, but the other are a piece of ####.

But also we get the release in Costa Rica, and all the tournament was so cool, and there was two guys using thanos and the shiar exp.
They match each other in the 4 round, and in the final one of the the guy with thanos lose the game. We play 5 rounds.
The other guy made some kind of strategy like that:
He made mind control to a thanos and cancel the team ability, he made outwit to the defense and hit thanos with 5 damage. and thanos go down.

Is this strategy is legal he can cancel the team ability, coz i know that is not possible.? Im right or not???

DarkPoeT
11/20/2006, 05:09
#

IM completly right about the super skrull, i used in the release, and one guy had to wait 17 dice roll to hit him, his 3th click haha ROCKS jajaja

sengirv
11/20/2006, 09:19
I came third in a marquee today using Thanos - and as I had built to exactly 300 points (with a 33-point Badoon Guard) I had to take the fight to my opponents. If I didn't KO at least one figure, my opponent would have won by default in each game.

Considering the difficulty of playing tentpole teams, not to mention 200+ point figures with no move-and-attack powers (Parallax, anyone?), I think that a figure that can go 2-1 should probably be worth 4 stars.
That was exactly my team, 300 points on the nose. At my marquee, Thanos finished 1st :) and 3rd,maybe 4th(would have been higher except we played each other) out of 16. I don't see how it only rates a 3. Azs could be a little more objective in these reviews. Back in the dat, I can see Ares getting a low mark because of the lack of move and attack and being able to be outwitted. But Thanos is on a totally differnt level with the Power Cosmic. Thanos took a full shot by Karnac, V Kang, E Thor and was still in great shape to take the other team down without breaking a sweat.

Thanos' 12 attack, 5 damage and PC is the sweet spot. That was were I ended in 3 out 4 games. Once thanos hits the main target once and finds himself on thid click, it's near impossible for the other team to deal.

I didn't know too much about this set befor the Marquee, if I had read Azs' review, I would have thought I had no shot against a Karnac, R vision, Justice, etc... But I didn't even lose my Badoon in that battle.

zero_cochrane
11/20/2006, 09:32
Thanos' 12 attack, 5 damage and PC is the sweet spot. That was were I ended in 3 out 4 games. Once thanos hits the main target once and finds himself on thid click, it's near impossible for the other team to deal.My Thanos was only damaged in the first game. Binary attempted a Pulse Wave (needing a 10 to hit) and got lucky with double fives. Three clicks through damage reducers. A bit later he got hit for another 2, but by this time it was turn 10 and we calculated that it was mathematically impossible for my opponent to KO Thanos with the actions he had left in that game.

Made me think I was not going to enjoy playing the big lug. Is he another vet Icons Supes?Thanos isn't going to be a hated figure like V Superman. The problem with Superman is that people play hit-and-hide tactics with him. It's extremely frustrating to be attacked by a character who runs away so you can't counterattack; sometimes runs all the way back to its starting zone to stand next to a TKer and a medic.

Thanos can't be played that way. If he's hit you, you can try to hit him back. Of course, it's still very hard to hurt him (you have to hit an 18 and get through Impervious) and he isn't neutered by a big attack like Superman is. He can keep fighing after taking five clicks.

Also, Thanos would not have done so well in sealed Supernova if the Armour Piercing feat had been in play, or better Psychic Blast figures. Keep that in mind.

sengirv
11/20/2006, 14:49
My Thanos was only damaged in the first game. Binary attempted a Pulse Wave (needing a 10 to hit) and got lucky with double fives. Three clicks through damage reducers. A bit later he got hit for another 2, but by this time it was turn 10 and we calculated that it was mathematically impossible for my opponent to KO Thanos with the actions he had left in that game.

I faced running shot and TK in 3 outta 4 games. Ironically, I took the 1st hit in those 3 games. Thanos has some weaknesses, but hit him until he gets to his 12 attack, 5 damage w PC click and it's damn near game over. But Thanos should have damged the other guys #1 guy by that point as well. That's exactly how it happened in 3 outta 4 games. The 4th game was against another thanos, and my badoon guard got 3 skrull rolls that game to enable me to get 1st hit in on his thanos.

X-Inferno
11/20/2006, 16:42
Ok, I know allot of people have been giving Azs a ton of slack for his Thanos rating... I was one of them. And allthough I still think Thanos deserves a 4 for maeque perposes... He really is, going to have trouble against ballanced team! Case in point, I finally had a chance to play against him this weekend, at another marque, and I dropped him with out loosing a single figure!
If you know how to deal with him, he's not nearly as threatening.
The Thanos team was:
U Thanos
R Shi'ar
Pog Forbush Man

My team: (don't hate me)
U Power Princess
V Doctor Spectrum
SR Zombie Wolverine
R Skrull Comando
Pog Jane Foster
Pog "Pug" Puglies

Bassically what I did, is moved into space terain, killed Forbush Man and the Shi'ar Warrior, pushing Doctor Spectrum onto his TK click. Thanos Moved up onto hindering terain on top of the building, and outwitted my TK... Unfotunately for Thanos all my figures where 6 squares away, and he couldn't shoot any of them. Because I was up on points he was forced to come to me. He was afraid of Wolverines 11 attack BCF, so he based Doctor spectrum, and outwitted his TK so he couldn't TK Wolverine. I then Charged in with power Princess and a soda machine, dealing 7 -2 to Thanos, who lost outwit, which allowed me to TK wolverine for a BCF attack, and that's pretty much all she wrote!

Mr. Pilkington
11/20/2006, 16:52
Thanos depends heavily on the player. A more experienced player with a balanced team can take out a less experienced player with a Thanos team. When you reverse it the numbers swing the other way. Sure, he's good, but he's not a win-all, especially in a sealed event where everyone knew what was in the set and how the dials fall. I think 3/5 was right. You can do it, as has been shown by the Thanos winners. But you can also not do it, as shown by the marquee I was at. Thanos was pulled and fielded by two people. Thanos did not win (I believe V Hyperion was the winner, and would have been even if I'd won my last game and gone 3-0 with my Mar-vell).

thepunisher27
11/20/2006, 16:54
yeah the guy who pulled thanos at our marquee went like 2-2 so hes not unstoppable oh and just to comment on what someone said about thanos having the best attack value in the game to date thats not true nightmare from infinity challenge(not a nececarily good pieace but none the less) has a 14 attack on his starting click just thought id put that out there

thepunisher27
11/20/2006, 16:56
[QUOTE=Mr. Pilkington] But you can also not do it, as shown by the marquee I was at. Thanos was pulled and fielded by two people. Thanos did not win I believe V Hyperion was the winner[QUOTE]

lol thats funny because AZS won our marquee with vet hyperion and on the way had to beat up not only thanos but also the vet surfer

sengirv
11/20/2006, 18:43
oh and just to comment on what someone said about thanos having the best attack value in the game to date thats not true nightmare from infinity challenge(not a nececarily good pieace but none the less) has a 14 attack on his starting click just thought id put that out there
IC Thanos has a 15 AV on his 3rd click ;)

tyroclix
11/22/2006, 17:49
Bassically what I did, is moved into space terain, killed Forbush Man and the Shi'ar Warrior, pushing Doctor Spectrum onto his TK click. Thanos Moved up onto hindering terain on top of the building, and outwitted my TK... Unfotunately for Thanos all my figures where 6 squares away, and he couldn't shoot any of them. Because I was up on points he was forced to come to me.

That is exactly what I made sure didn't happen when I used Thanos.

My team was Thanos, Forbush Man and R Jubilee. I hid them BEHIND Thanos - keeping them alive until we engaged. Then they marched out and tied up the pieces I wanted them to tie up.

Thanos isn't a first strike figure but he has a huge retaliation ability. I conceded the first strike to every opponent (Super-Skrull, Justice's TKing troops, and V Silver Surfer) and just made sure I could strike back.

Served me well enough. Didn't lose anyone against the Skrull and only Forbush Man against the TK team. Surfer I was tussling with for a bit - but I couldn't KO the E Skrull who was teamed up with him until it was too late.