PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: Henry Camp!

ol_Dut
02/15/2007, 14:22
http://www.hcrealms.com/units/sv202.jpg

Henry Camp wasnít bitten by a radioactive bug. He didnít get exposed to weird radiation from some bomb or other. Aliens didnít experiment on him. Neither did the government or some nefarious agency that operates above the law. He didnít get a blood transfusion. The onset of puberty didnít make some latent mutation manifest itself with tragically hilarious results. It wasnít cosmic rays. He didnít suffer from some disgusting medical condition making it necessary to replace half or more of his body with cybernetic implants and an interchangeable and virtually limitless array of attachments for any occasion. His mom isnít from somewhere west of Betelgeuse. He didnít find an ancient magical jewel, weapon, potion, amulet, cloak, hat, boots, cape, wand, spectacles, gloves, shirt or spell. Nope, Henry Camp got his powers the old school Mary Shelley way Ė a big hunk of metal and a whole lot of lightning. Thus was Bulldozer born. Come on in to read all about him.

Click on ďRead MoreĒ to continue reading.

ol_Dut
02/15/2007, 14:23
Here are the dials for Henry and his alter ego.

#202 Henry Camp
Team: No Affiliation
Range: 0 /
Clicks: 8
Type: E Different
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal891738917210918210818398174981638716386153KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Experienced Bulldozer
Team: Masters of Evil
Range: 0 /
Clicks: 8
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal891638917210816398152871538814279142610142KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Henry Camp’s Gains v. Experienced Bulldozer
For five fewer points than the Blue Bull, Hardware Hank adds two more clicks of the ever-popular Force Blast. Everybody’s got it these days – it’s akin to a clixually transmitted disease and only Seth holds the cure. Defensively, Hank gets a boost as well; he picks up one click of Invulnerable, an additional click of 17 defense and two of 18 defense. He also hits a little harder than his blue-ringed counterpart, possessing one click of four (4) damage and two more clicks with three (3) damage. But remember; those little rubber ID Rings may make sure you don’t take someone else’s clixs home with you, but they will not prevent the transmission of Force Blast, even if neither you nor your opponent are experiencing any symptoms.

Henry Camp’s Losses v. Experienced Bulldozer
Bulldozer has always been a company man, never leaving his beloved Wrecking Crew except during those unfortunate instances of his intermittent incarceration. Thus this version, like the Rookie before him, must therefore represent him during a period where he was either a guest of the state or immediately after he took his leave of a correctional facility as he does not have the Masters of Evil team ability. The big house didn’t do Hank any favors. One look at his dial and it’s apparent that the prolonged consumption of low-grade starchy food and limited time in the yard has robbed him of his Super Strength, Willpower, and Close Combat Expert. His fighting skills have also been diminished as he can no longer swing away with a 10 attack. Hank is blasting away with nines (9’s) or worse.

Neutral Dial Tinkering
Absolutely none whatsoever. In fact the only thing "neutral" about him is his buff colored suit, prompting some to believe Henry (and REV Bulldozer) to be pertrating his crimes wearing nothing but a helmet, bracers, boots and belt. That would be a whole new level of evil. But fear not gentle reader, Hank puts his spandex on before he leaves his lair; he just simply doesn't have any understanding of fashion.

Cards That Work
Hardware Hank has got a boatload of Charge and an equal ration of Force Blast. To get the most from him we need to get the most from those two powers. Low Gravity is a fine choice of Battlefield Condition for Hank. It will enable him to forgo Quake and dish out more damage yet still get the resulting knockback. This will help him immensely as he squares off against other midrange figures with no ranged attack, or in going after an enemy with an Invulnerable or better defense. He can simply charge in, bounce his foe away, and repeat while keeping himself relatively free from retaliation. And even though the card features the picture of one of his most hated adversaries, Whirlwind will have him bouncing enemies all over the map like pinballs for the entire second half of his dial, knocking people away from taxies, off of buildings, and hopefully into the waiting arms of his fellow Wrecking Crew pals. All that for a modest increase of six (6) poinits.

If ol_Dut had to Choose
Henry Camp v. Experienced Bulldozer? Experienced Bulldozer is really the odd man out. He’s the only one of the REV not to open with Quake, instead he starts off with Super Strength. The LE solves this issue, providing a figure with a point cost proximate to E Bulldozer’s and featuring nothing but Quake. And Force Blast. Don’t forget the Force Blast. But he doesn’t possess the new and improved MoE TA, which is cause for some concern. However, which figure to choose as being “best” is more complicated than it needs to be for such relatively simple figures.

On the occasion when Charge/SS isn’t needed, Hardware Hank brings an extra dimension to any team by adding Charge, Quake and a high defense to the mix. He would serve admirably in the capacity of bouncing Stealthed figures out hindering or disrupting the enemy’s formation. 85 points is about as much as I would ever spend on a Charging Quaker, and his damage and defensive values should enable Henry to hang in the game longer than one would expect. While the lack of the MoE TA may initially seem like a huge setback for this figure, overall the impact isn’t so severe. Given the high defensive values on his first five clicks, I would much prefer to hit a foe knowing that those 17’s and 18’s will make retaliation difficult, rather than relentlessly pushing the attack and giving up those numbers for free. Better to make the other team earn every click they take off of Henry.

The Blue Bull is a fair grounded brick. He’s got decent starting attack values and a see-sawing dial that provides him with a killer final click. Realistically, though, his best clicks are his first two, where Super Strength, Charge and nine (9) attacks magically align. Though I would be loathe to push off of his only click of Invulnerable, there are certain circumstances where that may make sense, and the MoE TA will allow him to keep on pushing until the results of doing so no longer outweigh the toll taken on him. That distills down to being able to push and abuse him on his first three clicks, but after that the rewards for doing so just aren’t there. Still, there is quite often a need for a figure with his skill set and point cost to help fill out the Wrecking Crew’s roster, and Charge with Super Strength is a bankable power combination. Because of that, more often than not, Experienced Bulldozer would be my choice.

In the final analysis, we have reached something of an impasse. Neither figure dramtically outshines the other. Both clearly have their uses based on the overall needs of the team and the user’s style of play. However, one thing is certain, both of these figures are superior to the Yellow Bull who is hindered by being so cheap that he doesn’t really have the numbers to do very much with the powers he has. Hank and Blue are also a better bet than Red Bull who doesn’t have the numbers to justify his bloated point cost. Impervious on that last click of his looks nifty, but with a six (6) attack and two (2) damage wouldn’t you really rather be looking at a KO slot? It would certainly be less frustrating.

Quick and Dirty Price Guide
Hardware Hank is as cheap as they come, available for less than $5 in most instances. And for that price, why not pick one up to have an alternative to Blue handy in case of emergency?

That’s all for this week. Next week – Supernova’s Super-Nova! Thanks for reading!

Sigdr
02/15/2007, 15:20
I disagree. Henry has proved far more effective for me than E Bulldozer, thanks in no small part due to his far superior defense. Henry rarely gets hit...and keeps on coming.
Then again, it depends on what kind of team you're facing. Against swarm or 'balanced teams', Henry's high DV matters and Charge + Quake is fearsome. Against tentpole teams, high DV isn't doing much (oh no, your Thanos needs a 5 to hit a middial Henry, whereas he would only need a 3 to hit a middial E Bulldozer. I'm...glad I went with the high DV?) and SuperStrength is better than Quake.

RavenProject
02/15/2007, 15:25
Had you considered Movethrough on Henry Camp?

With his Charge/Quake combo, Movethrough allows Henry to barrel through the opponent's line to a position where he can do maximum damage.

-J

Xplodiak
02/15/2007, 15:26
The choice really depends on what youre fighting. Camp can wreck swarm teams with his oodles of quake and higher D, plus the extra invuln.

If you're fighting a smaller team, I'd pick the E for the ability and flexibility of superstrength and the objects...

Thats just me, But my E gets alot more play than my LE (mostly cuz Ive played my E once, and Camp is still in the packaging...)

So my vote is the E. Go MoE. Shellhead works nicely there, come to think of it...

ol_Dut
02/15/2007, 15:34
Had you considered Movethrough on Henry Camp?

With his Charge/Quake combo, Movethrough allows Henry to barrel through the opponent's line to a position where he can do maximum damage.

-J

Yeah, that is another great option. Henry is just one of those figures who's at sort of a teetering point where too many feats will likely make him too costly for what he will yield. I wouldn't want to put more than one feat on him. But Movethrough is good and cheap and right up his alley.

Trypswitch
02/15/2007, 15:40
I agree that it is more of a toss up...with the deciding factor being your overall team strategy.

I would go with Exp. BD in a game where hitting big first and being able to push are premiums. He was great in the qualifier.

But in terms of the numbers game that heroclix often turns out to be I think I would lean more towards HC. Especially when, for just an additional 10 points, you can drop Shellhead on him and make him a real pain in the but. In a 400pt game he could be quite the affective tie-up and whittle away at type piece.

But again...It would really be about your overall team strategy.

Enjoyed the afticle. Thought it did a good job of addressing all the pros and cons of each fig.

Zaq
02/15/2007, 16:06
I played him on a X-men team to represent Colossus, and I was mostly thrown by the two damage on the second click. It was a rather unpleasant surprise. But the 18 defense in the mid-dial was also really helpful, so I would say that overall he did well for me. Don't have E bulldozer, though, so I guess I'm kind of stuck.

AbeSapien
02/15/2007, 16:16
I liked the tone of this review. Funny without falling into outright parody of a review.

I also agree that neither piece is better, just different in the same way that good vanilla and good chocolate ice cream are. Different strokes I guess.

I would personally go for the cheaper higher defense piece, but that's just my play style.

Badgerbite
02/15/2007, 16:35
Yeah, that is another great option. Henry is just one of those figures who's at sort of a teetering point where too many feats will likely make him too costly for what he will yield. I wouldn't want to put more than one feat on him. But Movethrough is good and cheap and right up his alley.

I get the most out of this guy with Movethrough and AP, it really messes up the other team.
If I had to pick 1 feat, it would be AP, to go with the Quake.

Vevilaughs
02/15/2007, 16:40
good vanilla ice cream.

Does good vanilla ice cream exist? What is good about vanilla ice cream? It always needs something. Vanilla Icecream is the ultimate co-dependent...sprinkles, fudge, fruity toppings. It's too needy.

I Am The Game
02/15/2007, 17:24
In typical fashion, I respectfully disagree with ol_Dut again! ;) I'm partial to the LE myself.

The difference in defense is huge for me. 17 isn't that much tougher to hit than a 16, so you expect them to get hit regardless of what you do. The difference is, Bulldozer just begs to get pounded on by secondary and tertiary figures, because anyone can hit 15's and 14's. You'll probably never see that 10 attack, unless you're both brilliant, and lucky, AND your opponent is totally unaware of the upswing. If your opponent wants to take Henry down off that 18 defense, it'll require more resources than Henry's 85 point cost is worth.

How you use him is crucial. If you're expecting Bulldozer to deal 5 against your opponent's big gun early on, a 9 attack against a 17 defense is not favorable, and it's more likely that you'll miss. Once Bulldozer's stuck there, he's expensive tie-up, and Toughness won't protect him very much. If you wait for your other figures to deal some damage to the tentpole, you may get a better chance and you may not, but if you hold back 85 points of your army, your opponent has less opposition to focus on, and gains a stronger position on the board as he places his secondary pieces safely. On the other hand, if you field Henry, you're committing him to attacking your opponent's backup figures. He'll either deal sets of 2's against groups, push your opponent's utility pieces out of line, or clear off rooftops. That's why, with a 9 attack or less, I'd rather have Quake than Super Strength.

Force Blast is much maligned, but I can't begin to tell you how many Mockingbirds and Spoilers I have to deal with at my venue. Range is ideal, but parked in hindering, they're hard enough to hit. I'd rather have the guaranteed thump against a wall. As long as I'm close enough to the figure they intend to tie up, a Force Blaster is a significant distraction to a player who only had one thing in mind when fielding a "needy girlfriend".

tidge
02/15/2007, 19:15
Thanks for this excellent review series.

I also prefer the LE for the defense numbers. I had the opportunity to use him as a villain in a 200-point demo game, and despite his being sniped at/Outwitted, he provided some hard and heavy offense. I would have liked to have the MOE TA (to help get to the 18 DV), but he is great without it.

AbeSapien
02/15/2007, 20:00
Does good vanilla ice cream exist? What is good about vanilla ice cream? It always needs something. Vanilla Icecream is the ultimate co-dependent...sprinkles, fudge, fruity toppings. It's too needy.

Breyer's vanilla bean ice cream has a real bite to it. It isn't like french vanilla wallpaper paste.

Mon_ami
02/15/2007, 22:47
Great review as always Dut. I've been wanting to fit ole Henry on a team and you have brought some light to his possibilities. Thanks.

Nice Avatar by the way, I'm sure it's going to get to Carlosmucha.

Can't wait for the next review.

Later.

Professor Shimazaki
02/15/2007, 23:35
Breyer's vanilla bean ice cream has a real bite to it. It isn't like french vanilla wallpaper paste.

Everything Breyer's is great though:) I have seen both in play and the LE did a nice quake on a sage, Aleta, and a skrull. The experienced one was PB and jed by Thanos.

Roderic_Cliche
02/16/2007, 01:03
I just find it funny that someone mentioned using this guy to represent Colossus. Are things so bad with the big Russian that no one even dares to use one of his many mediocre Clix pieces to represent him? :)

bigdonkey1
02/16/2007, 06:07
the experienced is better mine managed to kill a V hyperion