PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: The Mighty Thor!!

ol_Dut
03/01/2007, 15:05
http://www.hcrealms.com/units/sv224.jpg

Thor finally receives his due in Supernova with not one, but two LE’s to provide greater depth and variety to players’ choices. The first is the previously reviewed Dr. Donald Blake who worked hard to be a jack of all trades. The latest is one, The Mighty Thor, of the Convention Exclusives given away free to those who spend $100 at the Wizkids booth. Is he worth the wait in longs lines and the money? Come on in and see. And best of all, no waiting. Click on “Read More” to step right to the front of the line.

ol_Dut
03/01/2007, 15:15
Here are the dials for everyone’s favorite Norse god.

#224 LE The Mighty Thor
Team: Power Cosmic
Range: 10 /
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal10121641011164811154810173811163812163811163810163791637915479154KOKOKOKO

#084 Veteran Thor
Team: Avengers
Range: 8 //
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal101216510111551010174812163811154810173910163991638916479174KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO[/QUOTE]

The Mighty Thor’s Gains vs. Veteran Thor
The Mighty Thor, weighing in at 51 points more than his Veteran counterpart, has quite a few upgrades, the most noticeable and noteworthy of which are instantly observable. The Mighty Thor acquires the Power Cosmic team ability rendering him immune to pesky things like Outwit and pushing damage. He also sees his range increased to a more appropriate 10. On his dial, TMT picks up one click of Charge, three of Flurry and the tangy zip that can only come from a big four clicks of Force Blast. Perhaps he should have been called The Mighty Wind! Regarding his attack track, TMT gains one click of 11 attack, one of Quake and three of Energy Explosion. Defensively TMT receives a number of boosts. He adds one click of Impervious and two of Toughness. The remainder of his additions come in the form of four clicks of Ranged Combat Expert (which is much more fun than Force Blast) and one more click of four (4) damage.

The Mighty Thor’s Losses vs. Veteran Thor
Even though the point spread between these two figures is so enormous, believe it or not there are losses that must be cataloged. Before turning to the dial it’s obvious that TMT doesn’t fly, he’s lost one target, and Thunderbolts abuse isn’t possible as the Avengers TA is gone. So much for having a Mystical Mighty Wind. TMT sacrifices a bit of mobility as he sheds three clicks of Running Shot and the Vet’s late dial click of Phasing. Two clicks of Super Strength disappear, as do the Vet’s Pulse Wave and Willpower. The most disappointing loss of the bunch, however, is the absence of Veteran Thor’s two clicks of five (5) damage. So maybe he’s really "The Not Quite as Mighty as Regular Thor But Still Really Impressive in a Grounded Beat-Stick Sort of Way Thor". How they’d get that on a dial I can’t imagine.

Neutral Dial Tinkering
The only real subject here is that TMT goes from Super Strength to Quake, to Energy Explosion and then back to Quake, while Vet Thor transitions from Super Strength to EE and then to Quake. On the whole, it’s pretty insignificant.

Cards that Work
The Thundering Blow packaged with Thor seems an obvious choice, and giving TMT’s teammates the chance to do additional damage for the cost of 20 points seems equitable enough by way of CBA. However, those points may be better spent on something like Protected. That opening 16 defense of his isn’t going to be tough for anyone in, or even significantly below his point cost, to hit. In the overall scheme of things his best offence may be an enhanced defense. Shellhead also jumps up as a likely candidate, however if a 16 defense is easy pickins for the big guns he’ll be facing, an 18 isn’t going to be tough to hit either. Ganthet, Ares and Thanos could all connect on an 18 without much trouble and the list grows from there. And to make sure that TMT can attack the figures he needs to when he’s on his Charge clicks, Movethrough will let him bypass lesser targets and harassers.

It may be helpful to play Crosswinds and ground everyone since TMT has forgotten how to fly. Astral Plane may be a particular boon for him, enabling him to run where he needs to on his Running Shot and Charge clicks without having to stop for hindering terrain. Other than that, Ordinary Day is a good defensive selection to ensure that TMT gets to benefit from his superb TA.

If ol_Dut had to Choose
The Mighty Thor vs. Veteran Thor? In a way, for all the gains and losses, it’s not even really a fair fight. While Veteran Thor is a thing of beauty which no other figure may dare sully, The Mighty Thor is nothing short of godlike. Now that his Battle Fury has been errataed to oblivion, he is sensible and potent on every single click. While his opening Running Shot for four (4) damage may feel a bit light, his ability to remain stationary and shoot again for six (6) clicks of damage thanks to RCE provides some recompense. TMT's got a divine hammer, and with the Power Cosmic TA he can bang it all day without taking pushing damage. And while he may not fly, his TA is a more than equitable trade-off providing immunity to Outwit thereby preserving his defenses and the power of his RCE . And the Force Blast. There will no Outwitting of any of that big ol’ pile of Smuckers Grape Jelly goodness known as Force Blast. While his damage-dealing potential is enormous thanks to RCE, TMT will need to be very careful that he is not based by grounded figures so that he can wring the greatest value out of those clicks.

Offensively, his dial flows very well. Running Shot progresses to Charge, allowing him to fully leverage his Super Strength. In close combat, Charge gives way to Flurry and three (3) damage, a value high enough to get through any defense. When Force Blast appears, it may actually make sense. In one turn he can knock a grounded enemy away, and then he can blast away with RCE on the following turn for greater damage. In fact, the only power TMT posses that may not see much use is Quake. Since Quake always overlaps with TMT’s RCE and respectable damage numbers (3’s and a 4), more often than not it will likely be preferable to either do straight damage or enhanced damage via RCE instead of Quaking. Dropping his damage to two (2) and moving opponents around seems a lot less fun than dealing big damage. In truth, there is a time and a place for each figure. But in most situations when a Thor is needed, I’ll go with The Mighty Thor over Veteran Thor, because that divine hammer and all of his raw power is nearly impossible to resist.

Quick and Dirty Price Tag
Right now, those not in a position to pick one up at a convention will need to shell out between $50 to $60 on average to bring this Grizzly Adams look-alike home. Look for that price to drop down to a somewhat more reasonable $25 to $30 as the convention season continues.

Next week, by request of mr. moneypenny we’ll take a look at Snap Wilson and his fellow mailaway Skymax! Thanks for reading!

thepunisher27
03/01/2007, 17:08
for feats TMT can also benefit from repulsor shield so no one blasts through his impervious because lets face it he aint to hard to hit. Thanks for the review OL

biz567
03/01/2007, 17:13
I don't consider the WP a loss, since he does have PC.;)

Though someone could play Disbanded. But that's what O-Day was made for, right?

Great review! I'd go wtih the Mighty Thor anyday, since I would go with Ultimate Thor over the Vet. Not a big fan of the Vet, don't know why.

surfersilver83
03/01/2007, 17:13
the three clix on the mighty thor in the middle with the flurry and the power cosmic r nasty potential 12 in two turns and no pushing damage

ThePatrick
03/01/2007, 17:18
Great article. Thanks.

Greenandgold
03/01/2007, 17:37
Losing flight and the second arrow are big losses IMO. You just can't afford to have one of these figures attacks wiped out by a super senses roll or an unlucky 3 or 4 and that 2nd arrow gives you insurance against that.

Also, without flight, you might as well just ignore all those RCE clicks because you'll never actually get to use them.

Straight up I like the Vet's dial better than The Mighty one. The only thing going for it is the Power Cosmic, but for the price difference I'm reaching for the Vet most every time.

I love to disagree with you Dut. Maybe we should battle this one out on the board next time we meet?

winndwalker
03/01/2007, 17:40
Nice one Dut! I'm stoked to get one of these things and try him out. He's definetely got some damage dealing potential.

I think he could work well in a 400 point game with a Trick Shot and a bunch of fodder to stand in the enemy's way. IMO the best way around that 16 defense is to do as much as possible to prevent him from being based. Several solid tie up pieces (skrulls?) might give him the break he needs to work that TA hard and hit for six repeatedly.

Ghost_Rider
03/01/2007, 18:05
Nice one ol_Dut. It's really cool to see Thor have a version that's finally godlike. Too bad that there's a misprint, but oh well.

It's HAMMER TIME!:laugh:

anonym0use
03/01/2007, 18:07
Good review, as ever!!! I'm totally going to use trickshot with the Odinson.

richpizor
03/01/2007, 18:30
In fact, the only power TMT posses that may not see much use is Quake. Since Quake always overlaps with TMT’s RCE and respectable damage numbers (3’s and a 4), more often than not it will likely be preferable to either do straight damage or enhanced damage via RCE instead of Quaking. Dropping his damage to two (2) and moving opponents around seems a lot less fun than dealing big damage.

...and on a flying beatstick i'd agree with you. but Thor can no longer use his massive RCE damage if he's based. Having Quake is therefore useful in case he gets based by 2 or more figures - Quake them all away on one turn, then push (for free thanks to TA) to zap one of them the next turn and finish him off. It's not a perfect situation, but neither is a based grounded figure with RCE...

Ghost_Rider
03/01/2007, 18:34
How come there's no picture for the Mighty Thor? The one listed is just Thor.

Robo-Onion
03/01/2007, 19:06
Nice review! when I get him, I certainly use him. (Maybe teamed with the vet in a 600 point match!)

Badgerbite
03/01/2007, 19:07
As soon as he leaves the starting area, he needs to pick up a desk.

dariustad
03/01/2007, 20:39
Very helpful review! It gave me much to think over if I manage to obtain one.

biz567
03/01/2007, 20:54
Also, I think he would be so much more feared if he had a 5 starting damage+RCE. He probably deserves it too.

ol_Dut
03/01/2007, 21:32
...and on a flying beatstick i'd agree with you. but Thor can no longer use his massive RCE damage if he's based. Having Quake is therefore useful in case he gets based by 2 or more figures - Quake them all away on one turn, then push (for free thanks to TA) to zap one of them the next turn and finish him off. It's not a perfect situation, but neither is a based grounded figure with RCE...

In order to pull that off you'd almost have to put Armor Piercing on TMT to ensure that opposing figures actually take damage so that they will move back from him. Otherwise that Quake may not actually accomplish anything.

DOOMBOTSKI
03/01/2007, 22:10
Losing flight and the second arrow are big losses IMO. You just can't afford to have one of these figures attacks wiped out by a super senses roll or an unlucky 3 or 4 and that 2nd arrow gives you insurance against that.

Also, without flight, you might as well just ignore all those RCE clicks because you'll never actually get to use them.

Straight up I like the Vet's dial better than The Mighty one. The only thing going for it is the Power Cosmic, but for the price difference I'm reaching for the Vet most every time.

I love to disagree with you Dut. Maybe we should battle this one out on the board next time we meet?

Fight!Fight!Fight!Fight!
I guess we'll see this come to a head Saturday at the pre-release!

Badgerbite
03/01/2007, 22:23
I have him, I haven't had a chance to use him or the Con Batman yet.
I'm looking forward to trying them out.
The new map is great and Vlad The Impaler is an awesome Horrorclix.

malakim2099
03/02/2007, 00:22
Actually, maybe I'm tired and missed it ol_Dut, but one great feat on the late-dial for TMT could be Whirlwind. Nice way to avoid being based... just kick everyone back, then blast them on your next action.

Just a thought.

Hypersonic90
03/02/2007, 01:40
I think this figure is pathetic. I mean c'mon, he's freakin' 286 points, and what do i get for that? 5 CLICKS FOR 4 DAMAGE AND 16 DEF.... He's only cool for the PC.

What the heck happened to the old cheesies? (Black Adam, Invincible, etc.)

4/10 for him

zero_cochrane
03/02/2007, 01:57
The Mighty Thor also has eleven clicks of life compared to veteran Thor's ten. That's not inconsiderable!

Mon_ami
03/02/2007, 02:55
This is my favorite part of the whole article "The Mighty Wind!" Great Line Dut.

I really liked your breakdown, yet again another great article.

Thanks Dut. :)

UltraDRGN
03/02/2007, 03:01
You can't really compare him to Veteran Thor from Super Nova, you should be comparing him to KC Green Lantern, whom he is VERY similar to.

KC Green Lantern has a much higher defence for his first 4 clicks, flies, has 2 targets, has TK, and has more Running shot.

M THor has a much better attack throughout the dial, more life, more damage reduction (ie some), much better damage throughout the dial, better mid dial defence, Immunity to outwit, 7 clicks where he can hit multiple targets in close range, and of course, pointless energy explosion and forceblast (WHAT was Seth thinking?).

Thor has quite a few gains to his losses vs. KC Green Lantern, but you have to decide whether that is worth 50 points. Outwit immunity is certainly worth 20 points or so. Damage reduction could potentially even out the shots Green Lantern would avoid due to his high defence, especially if a few impervious rolls are made. After 6 clicks KC Green Lantern isn't dealing big damage anymore, Thor's damage and attack continue to deliver for all 11 clicks.

It's a tough call. I would never use M Thor in a competative 300 point game, but 400-500, I'd consider him.

Buddyhoss
03/02/2007, 03:01
On the silver lining side of the cloud, his being grounded lets him use Swingline, which I think is one of the best feats you could put on him. Increased Running Shot and Charge movement is nice. Couldn't do that if he flew.

antedoX
03/02/2007, 03:37
Nice one Dut! I'm stoked to get one of these things and try him out. He's definetely got some damage dealing potential.

I think he could work well in a 400 point game with a Trick Shot and a bunch of fodder to stand in the enemy's way. IMO the best way around that 16 defense is to do as much as possible to prevent him from being based. Several solid tie up pieces (skrulls?) might give him the break he needs to work that TA hard and hit for six repeatedly.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. While it may not be the most thematic way to play him (although it IS cool to imagine him standing at the edge of the battlefield bringing down lightning), it is certainly the most advantageous.

That ten range and six (?) clicks of RCE are begging to be put to good use. Send him into the field leading an army of Kree or Skrulls (or puppy dogs). Have the Vet carry him around so he can just keep firing for six damage.

Thunderwebs
03/02/2007, 04:41
On the silver lining side of the cloud, his being grounded lets him use Swingline, which I think is one of the best feats you could put on him. Increased Running Shot and Charge movement is nice. Couldn't do that if he flew.
He can also use Lucky Break, which no other Thor can use. :)
I am sooo glad I'm going to WWLA this year :grin: , I'll be able to get him ASAP and won't have to pay top dollar for him (ditto for Foom). Personally, I'll give him a try in 300pts with NanoArmor and Protected.

dariustad
03/02/2007, 04:54
I think this figure is pathetic. I mean c'mon, he's freakin' 286 points, and what do i get for that? 5 CLICKS FOR 4 DAMAGE AND 16 DEF.... He's only cool for the PC.

What the heck happened to the old cheesies? (Black Adam, Invincible, etc.)

4/10 for him

I can agree with this, to a degree. Even if his first click was 5 with RCE, TMT would pick up the value of his points a bit. It would also give him shades of KC Superman, which isn't unbelievable for a thunder god.

Valtz
03/02/2007, 05:00
I honestly think thanos is better for less points. I'm sorry mighty thor but your cost is to great for me both game and price wise

For once I find myself teaming with those disagreeing upon your choices, Mr. Dut!

Itīs a tough choice which is better, thunderboltable Avengers TA or the almighty Power Cosmic. Iīd say that Avengers wins (but only just!) for being a lot more flexible.

I always flinch when I see expensive figures boasting only one target. Veteran Thor will almost surely deliver his damage to someone, even if the primary target dodges or soldiers the hit. Sometimes this makes no difference, but every now and them it turns out be a figures Achilleusīs heel!

Stats-wise Mighty Thor is bueno, but not overwhelmingly intimidating either. Vet gets the boost to 12 attack sooner than TMT, but otherwise they seem to be quite even.

I would definitely take the veteran if I want to rock my venue, but I really think that TMT is the coolest piece ever! Avenger TA may be a little better, but Power Cosmic is hundred times more impressive, in my opinion. TMTīs sculpt is also one of the finest Iīve ever seen! And he walks, which is nicely different. No one can taxi the veteran around!

Iīll happily donate away all my REV:s to get closer to getting TMT. He is a fantastic piece, and I really donīt mind the Vet being a little better...

Langoth
03/02/2007, 07:54
The only problem I have is, is that if I were to take the Thanos, and put him across from this Thor, I think Thanos would utterly destroy him, especially if Thor knocks him onto a prob, or psychic blast click.

Overall, point for point, I give Thanos a better dial. Sure, no move and attack, but at the end of the day? 10 range. TMT would have to come into Thanos's range. And Thanos is cheaper too.

And imagine Thanos, to make up the points, having Protected?

Thor attacks, and hits (in all likelyhood), Thanos uses Protected. Hits Thor back for 4 damage, no imperve.

Thor now sits at three damage. Hits Thanos, does one (1 in 3 chance ignored). Thanos now has 12 attack with Psychic Blast, and 4, if he's hit.

Both rest.

If Thanos ignored THor's one damage, now Thor is going to be roasted pretty much. 4 more damage from psychic blast under this scenario, and Thor has been dropped too far down his dial to have a hope of winning.

If he did hit, to be honest, it drags the fight out a bit more, but I still see the Mad Titan ripping Thor's head, rather grusomely, from his neck.

malakim2099
03/02/2007, 08:50
The problem with a hypothetical scenario like this, is that you're assuming that Thor is just going to move into a spot and say "Here I am!"

Frankly, if I were Thor's player, and seeing Thanos across the way, I'd /base/ Thanos if I could. No PB for you. :)

Also, Protected would add a token, and since I move/shoot (and control that initiative)... I'd try to time the RS into range where you'd already have a token. So now your choice is:

1. Take a token and be pushed, taking no damage.

2. Gamble on Impervious.

Either way, it isn't nearly as bad for Thor as you might think. ;)

Hypersonic90
03/02/2007, 09:58
The Mighty Thor also has eleven clicks of life compared to veteran Thor's ten. That's not inconsiderable!

Well that explains all those hefty points.... My God...

ol_Dut
03/02/2007, 10:32
Well that explains all those hefty points.... My God...

It's not just the click of life that contributes to his larger point cost. TMT has better attack values, more Impervious, more RCE and the Power Cosmic TA which is pretty pricey.

SpinnerLover
03/02/2007, 11:25
The only problem I have is, is that if I were to take the Thanos, and put him across from this Thor, I think Thanos would utterly destroy him, especially if Thor knocks him onto a prob, or psychic blast click.

Overall, point for point, I give Thanos a better dial. Sure, no move and attack, but at the end of the day? 10 range. TMT would have to come into Thanos's range. And Thanos is cheaper too.

And imagine Thanos, to make up the points, having Protected?

Thor attacks, and hits (in all likelyhood), Thanos uses Protected. Hits Thor back for 4 damage, no imperve.

Thor now sits at three damage. Hits Thanos, does one (1 in 3 chance ignored). Thanos now has 12 attack with Psychic Blast, and 4, if he's hit.

Both rest.

If Thanos ignored THor's one damage, now Thor is going to be roasted pretty much. 4 more damage from psychic blast under this scenario, and Thor has been dropped too far down his dial to have a hope of winning.

If he did hit, to be honest, it drags the fight out a bit more, but I still see the Mad Titan ripping Thor's head, rather grusomely, from his neck.

The only flaw in your theory is...Psychic Blast is ignored w/ Power Comic teams. All that Thor gets is a slight tickle from Thanos. ;)

SpinnerLover
03/02/2007, 11:31
Err...think I got that confused w/ the colossal figures? Does Psychic Blast go through Power Cosmic figures? I'm confused now.

Mr. Pilkington
03/02/2007, 11:52
PC only grants immunity to outwit and perma-willpower. To get immunity to EW you need Fortitude and immunity from PB comes from Repulsor Shields. You are probably thinking of the special rules for the colossal figures.

Hypersonic90
03/02/2007, 12:16
It's not just the click of life that contributes to his larger point cost. TMT has better attack values, more Impervious, more RCE and the Power Cosmic TA which is pretty pricey.

Well, if you compare him to Korvac or Ares this figure loses the stats advantage. Sure he has sweet Vs and nice powers but i just don't think that he's worth the cost even for the PC TA.

But that's just me! Don't listen! ;P

bigkahuna83
03/02/2007, 14:32
is it time for WWC yet?

I want one or two!

olcottr
03/02/2007, 15:01
It would be nice to have another Power Cosmic piece but I'll wait for the price to come down a bit.

VandalSavage
03/02/2007, 19:11
The only thing I don't really agree with is the $25 to $30 comment....With this figure being a $100 purchase figure don't expect to many extras floating out there which should keep the price HIGH...$50 to $60range...for a LONG Time !!!!

Mr. Savage

mr_moneypenny
03/06/2007, 19:42
Awesome review, dut! Although I think that the end of dial Force Blast isn't a complete waste of grape jelly (mmmmm.... jelly), what with the PC TA and all, and the desire to keep Thor 'unencumbered' so that he can let loose with ranged attacks... Can't wait to get my hands on one!
Also, I'm absolutely giddy with anticipation for the Snap Wilson / Skymax review next week! Make Mine Dut! :)
-jason