PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: Michael Carter & Animal Master

ol_Dut
07/12/2007, 13:45
http://www.hcrealms.com/gallery/data/500/boostergold.jpg
I am not Green Lantern!

Dead, alive, resurrected, disgraced, bankrupt, lost in space, from the future, smells like a monkey, gets freaky with animals or a robot, and heaven knows whatever else could happen to two guys in 22 pages. Who can keep track of it all? But in the midst of all this chaos, one thing is certain; we’ve got two more LE’s to review from Origin before we can get on to the Heralds if we have time and the Worst LE’s Ever because we simply must. So click on “Read More” to hear all about Animal Master (Animal Man) and Michael Carter (Booster Gold)!

ol_Dut
07/12/2007, 13:51
First up in today’s double-header is Michael Carter (AKA Booster Gold). Here are their dials:

#202 LE Michael Carter
Team: No Affiliation
Range: 8 /
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal89173891626816378152771426613266131KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

#044 E Booster Gold
Team: JLA
Range: 8 //
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal891528815210814298142871327713166121KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

LE Michael Carter’s Gains vs. Experienced Booster Gold
For Just five more points than E Booster, Mr. Carter acquires quite a volume of improvements. Of greatest significance is the opening dose of Running Shot coupled with one of his two three (3) damage clicks. Three additional clicks of Super Strength enable him to yoink objects out from under opponents for just over half of his dial, and a second click of nine (9) attack appears as well. New powers include Enhancement, Perplex and Barrier. Other numerical increases are limited to a click of 17 defense and two of 16 defense.

LE Michael Carter’s Losses vs. Experienced Booster Gold
The most meaningful losses that Michael endures are evident on the top of his base. The JLA team ability vanishes as does one target for his ranged attack. Other than that, Michael is generally a bit slower than Booster, has no Incapacitate and drops one click of seven (7) attack.

http://www.hcrealms.com/units/or043.jpg

Neutral Dial Tinkering
All we have going on here pertains to Energy Shield/Deflection. Our dope MC keeps his on the down low, while Booster makes a Toughness samwich with his ES/D.

Cards That Work
MC is pretty efficient as he stands, but one potential addition could be Construct to help wring some additional entertainment out of his Barrier clicks. Entrench is another option, though whether or not he’ll get any leverage out of it is entirely dependant upon your foe. It’s a gamble, but for five points it’s at least it’s a cheap one.

If ol_Dut had to Choose
LE Michael Carter vs. Experienced Booster Gold? He’s not Green Lantern, and given what happened to Alan Scott’s REV and LE, I’m very pleased with this fact. With his Running Shot, three (3) damage, along with superior attack and defensive numbers, he’s an easy favorite over E Booster Gold. Going one step further, for the points, he’s the best Booster Gold in this set. The Perplex and Enhancement are the extra push over the cliff this figure needs to be the obvious choice. For 10 more points the Vet has some Probability Control, but as it sits on his 3rd and 4th clicks, there’s no easy way to get there. Sadly his one click of 10 attack is buried on that 3rd click as well effectively making his best assets relatively moot. But for 70 points, MC can RS in, yoink the object out from under someone who thought they were being all Stealthy and then blast them for three (3). That’s a hill of fun and that’s why Micahel Carter wins this horse race.

Speaking of critters, let’s turn our attention over to Animal Man and Animal Master. How cool is that. Buddy gets and LE and instead of using his name, they call him Animal MASTER! I need some sort of job where part of my title can be Master. Heck, maybe I’ll do that right now. Instead of being ol_Dut, henceforth I shall be known as “LE Master”! And lo, let it be proclaimed from the highest hill, and written down and translated into every language whether they have an alphabet or just some clicky noises that always make me giggle and cluck like a chicken, that LE Master shall now, and never again pontificate, elucidate and otherwise engage in the deobfuscatization of Animal Master!

Get a load a’ this.

#201 LE Animal Master
Team: Mystic
Range: 0 /
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal109162991528914388142781326714267141KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

And this.

#039 V Animal Man
Team: No Affiliation
Range: 0 /
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal109173891639916289152881427814277132KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

LE Animal Master’s Gains vs. Plain Old Veteran Animal Man
First, let it be known to all the peoples of the Realms that Animal Master has taken unto him four great and powerful clicks of Plasticity, so that in the village there should be much rejoicing. Furthermore, bring out all of your virgin daughters so that they may gasp and swoon as they bear witness to the awesome might of the Master’s two massive clicks of the ever tantalizing Blades/Claws/Fangs and his Mystical team ability. For generations, let minstrels, fools and drunkards sing the glories of his clicks of Combat Reflexes two, and that terrifying triad of ES/D until their feet grow tired of wandering, their hands of playing, their bells of jingling, and every last drop of every intoxicating elixir has been liberated from its bottle and has been passed into the closest river. Such are the joys of the Animal Master. Huzzah!

LE Super Bass-o-Matic 76’s Losses vs. Veteran Animal Man
That’s right folks. Step right up. For 35 points more than Vet Animal Man, LE Bass-o-Matic 76 gets rid of a whole lot of powers, abilities and numbers that most discerning clixers are tired of seeing, using and looking up in the PAC cards. The LE Super Bass-o-Matic 76 gets rid of a click of Charge, a click of nine (9) attack, and a click of Incap, because you don’t want to be too mobile, you don’t really want to hit anything, and you sure as heck don’t want to slow your opponent down. But wait; there’s more! LE Super Bass-o-Matic 76 gets rid of a lot of those unsightly colors on the Vet’s dial as well. With just the turn of a dial, Willpower, Toughness and Regeneration all disappear. But that’s not all. Shape Change is gone, too. We’ve even whittled off one click of Perplex, one click of three (3) damage, and one click of two (2) damage to make sure the little one’s don’t hurt themselves if they accidently get their hands on the awesomely powerful LE Super Bass-o-Matic 76. Order yours now! Operators are standing by.

http://www.hcrealms.com/units/or201.jpg

Neutral Dial Tinkering
There really isn’t any. Everything that happens to LE Super Bass-o-Matic 76 is like another kick in the crotch. Or a brick to the head. Your call.

Cards that Work
If they ever come up with a feat card called “Don’t Be Ridiculous!” that reads…

Prerequisite: Point cost of 110

At the start of the game, take that 110 point figure out of your starting area and replace it with any other figure that is actually good, regardless of its point cost. Then whack yourself on the head with a 2x4 as hard as you can before taking your first turn for being dense enough to put LE Bass Master on the map to begin with.

…well that would be the only feat card that makes sense for him. Other than that, skip ‘em. Garanimals costs too much the way it is.

If ol_Dut had to Choose
LE Bass Master vs. Veteran Animal Man? Actually, everything you read above was an elaborate ruse. Bass Master is my choice. Well, actually no he isn’t. He’s terrible. The first reason is that he breaks the Axiom of the Interplay of Attack Values Relative to the Figure’s Point Cost. Carp Master tips the scales at 110 points, but he tops out at a nine (9) attack. That smells like week-old fish to me. It all goes downhill from there. Vet Animal Man gets the nod every single time.

ol_Dut’s Quantum Fun-O-Meter!
So maybe LE Dr. Doolittle isn’t the most competitive piece around. He might still be fun to play, right? Let’s see where he ranks on ol_Dut’s Quantum Fun-O-Meter (patent pending). The print out is lengthy and filled with scientific terminology likely to challenge even the hardiest of spellcheck programs, so let me paraphrase the results in terms we can all get our arms around. OK. LE Animal Master is slightly less fun than a colonoscopy, but slightly more fun than being viciously mauled and mutilated by a pack of rabid dogs. So there you go.

Quick and Dirty Price Tags
Cool MC can hang at your crib for less than $10, and for that money, everyone should get at least one. LE Animal Master can be had for the same money, but a word to the wise: keep his box sealed at both ends so as not to, umm, diminish his collectability.

Next week on LE Master’s LE Review: ol_Dut finds that scorpions have invaded his ‘clix cupboard with hilarious results! FOX, TV-MA-DLV [cc]
Either that or a Herald or two. Or 20 or so really, really bad LE’s. Who’s to know? Thanks for reading.

TheFreak
07/12/2007, 14:11
according to the units section....V Animal Man starts with Shape Change and goes into Perplex on clicks 4,5 and 6...dunno if that changes anything or not.

But I agree. I'd definitely go with the V Animal Man every time..

But for some reason, I don't know why, but I LOVE the V Booster...but that's not who you were comparing them with! :P

TheBionicLeopard
07/12/2007, 14:14
my vet animal man has a click of shape change at the top of his dial and perplex on clicks 4-6, am i missing something?

JacinB
07/12/2007, 14:14
But for 70 points, MC can RS in, yoink the object out from under someone who thought they were being all Stealthy and then blast them for three (3). That’s a hill of fun ...
It's a mountain of fun if they don't have range and you run past them, yoinking their object, and then blasting them for three ...

TheBionicLeopard
07/12/2007, 14:19
you beat me to the punch TheFreak. but i'll get you next time

CustomCreator
07/12/2007, 14:20
In the picture with all the cards, who is that guy in blue above Superman? Does Marvel know he stole Quasar's emblem?

TheFreak
07/12/2007, 14:21
you beat me to the punch TheFreak. but i'll get you next time
fastest fingers in the west....not always the most accurate, but they are fast ;)

TheFreak
07/12/2007, 14:23
In the picture with all the cards, who is that guy in blue above Superman? Does Marvel know he stole Quasar's emblem?

That'as Supernova, he was Booster's alter ego during 52, then his current day relative put the costume on. I don't think they've revealed who's wearing it now (sound like Ronin at all???)

anonym0use
07/12/2007, 14:24
Thank you LE Master... may we have another?

Vevilaughs
07/12/2007, 14:50
LE Animal Master’s Gains vs. Plain Old Veteran Animal Man
First, let it be known to all the peoples of the Realms that Animal Master has taken unto him four great and powerful clicks of Plasticity, so that in the village there should be much rejoicing. Furthermore, bring out all of your virgin daughters so that they may gasp and swoon as they bear witness to the awesome might of the Master’s two massive clicks of the ever tantalizing Blades/Claws/Fangs and his Mystical team ability. For generations, let minstrels, fools and drunkards sing the glories of his clicks of Combat Reflexes two, and that terrifying triad of ES/D until their feet grow tired of wandering, their hands of playing, their bells of jingling, and every last drop of every intoxicating elixir has been liberated from its bottle and has been passed into the closest river. Such are the joys of the Animal Master. Huzzah! .

Sounds like someone just got back from the Ren Fair.

NeoShazam
07/12/2007, 15:13
I love the Michael Carter LE, he's the only worthwhile Booster Gold in the set, not having the TA is fine with me, he's out for himself anyway.

The Animal Master is just another horrible LE from an extremely good set.

Granite Moose
07/12/2007, 16:23
Excellent reviews as always, oh LE Master.

adamical
07/12/2007, 16:26
And these were the first two LEs from Origin (not counting the Marquee). Saving the best for last, I guess, but neither were terribly exciting to play for.

ShellShock
07/12/2007, 16:49
Being a big Booster Fan, I was pumped to win Michael Carter, considering I love my super buddies teams

As far as animal man, all I have is the vet...good thing

great reviews as always

WarHULK
07/12/2007, 17:33
Thanks for the review, Dut! I totally agree with you on both accounts.

I was so excited about the MC LE, he's so much better than the REV! I was also terribly, terribly sad that Buddy's LE was SO bad. When I saw 110 pts on the poster I thought "Sweet, he'll be Vet ++!" and boy was I wrong!!

fastcat99
07/12/2007, 19:23
Love the review. That's gonna save me chasing down animal cracker man. I have the V booster, and I'll probably just be happy with what fate has bestowed upon me. Well, concerning my clix, anyway.

Kite-Man
07/12/2007, 20:55
Man, that drawing of Booster Gold is hideous.

It's like a car crash.

I can't look away despite the horror!:eek:

Good reviews, though.:squareeye

earinfection
07/12/2007, 21:46
But your missing the point!

You can't have ALL clix ever made without this LE.. One day.. One day.. You got ALL clix except this one.. THIS ONE completes the collection.. THIS ONE must be purchased/traded for for completion sakes. You will get one.... you will....

Bwuhhh huhh huh..

f1aherty
07/12/2007, 22:11
Everytime I see Robin at the top center I think its Thelma from Scooby Doo

Kite-Man
07/13/2007, 00:54
Can anyone tell me who drew that Booster Gold drawing?

machineman
07/13/2007, 01:44
Looks like Tom Grummet drew it.

cheetor
07/13/2007, 04:52
Thanks for the ace review Le Master, I cant wait to give my Michael Carter a run out.

That said while I like it when an LE gives a different take on a character (Trigons Daughter or John Walker for example) it does bug me when an LE renders the corresponding REV redundant (Norman Osborn, Sue Storm (FF) and now Michael Carter it appears. Still, could be worse, at least he is pretty playable.

Incidentally can anyone change their title like that? If so I hereby wish to be known as...

cheetor - the LE who walks

hobgoblin22
07/13/2007, 10:01
Very well written. Does anyone know where that picture of booster gold with the playing cards is from? I know I have seen it but I can't put my fingure on it. Rep for any help!!!

Robo-Onion
07/13/2007, 13:01
When I read your feat, I was wondering why you would hate V Dr. Strange (FF). But then I realized what, O LE Master, the ANIMAL Master is 110 too! So the feat can work either way! Huzzah!

OK, now that that is out of my system...

ol_Dut
07/13/2007, 14:09

It's Dan Jugens' art from the upcoming Booster Gold #1.

rowesbud
07/13/2007, 21:39
Well, now I have to make it my personal ambition to use Animal Master to marginal efficacy. Is he really that bad?

machineman
07/13/2007, 21:47
It's Dan Jugens' art from the upcoming Booster Gold #1.
Ah! Jurgens. Grummet and Jurgens styles were always similar to me, especially in that they are both very flawed Byrne-ish.

MindsEnd
07/14/2007, 12:02
Nice Review.

biz567
07/15/2007, 00:41
Great review! I agree on both terms, the LE Booster and the V Animal Master.

Someone might have said this, but another loss for Michael is the loss of two targets, but that's not even that big of a deal. I hope to get both of those pieces soon!:)