PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy Room The Worst HeroClix LEs Ever - Part 4!

ol_Dut
09/14/2007, 15:38
http://www.hcrealms.com/gallery/data/500/manthing1.jpg
Heard you guys were lookin’ for me. What’s up?

We’ve endured the pain of Alan Scott, fought back the urge to regurgitate at the sight of Maxwell Dillon, and laughed at the paradox that is Querl Dox. But today we’re plumbing even deeper into the realms of the unbelievable, the undesirable and the unplayable. Today we reach the end of our quest to find ol_Dut’s The Worst Heroclix LE Ever. Who will claim this badge of shame and make all other figures look good by comparison? There’s only one way to find out; click on “Read More” to check out numbers 5 through 1…if you dare!

Abandon all hope ye who enter here.

ol_Dut
09/14/2007, 15:44
Here is the horror that was numbers 20 – 6:
#20 – Monica Rambeau
#19 – Basil Karlo
#18 – Querl Dox
#17 – Captain Nathaniel Adam
#16 – Johnny Ell
#15 – Dr. Fate
#14 – Quentin Beck
#13 – Benjamin J. Grimm (CT)
#12 – Irene Adler
#11 – Maxima of Almerac
#10 – Dinah lance
#9 – Green Lantern (Phasing)
#8 – Maxwell Dillion
#7 – Alan Scott
#6 – Elektra Natchios (CT)
If you missed any of the previous installments of the series, please click on the link in my signature and you’ll find all that and more. And as bad as they are, the worst is yet to come!

But before we begin this pursuit of pain for the final time, let us first remind ourselves of a couple of ground rules.
1. To make the list, an LE must be terrible. To be marginal is simply not enough.
2. It must be a figure that would never see play in any real competitive environment. What certain fans want to play for fun, or what thematic obsessives like me feel they must play out of necessity/obligation is a different issue altogether.
3. The figure must be so derided, so completely pointless that “winning/buying” it almost feels like punishment.
4. “But with “XYZ” feat, “123” Battlefield Condition, and “ABC” pit crew, so-and-so is pretty good!” What a pile of rubbish, and I don’t buy it. Any figure that is actually good doesn’t need these things to be good because they’re good already. Having to pile all that stuff onto a figure to make it playable proves the point that it wasn’t playable to begin with.
5. This list is highly subjective and even though I’m most likely 100% correct, please realize that these opinions belong to one surly and highly medicated cat from Minnesota and are intended for entertainment purposes only.

#5 – Ted Sallis (Man-Thing – Mutant Mahem) Over the past several weeks, poor Ted’s name got thrown around more than any other. That is some pathetic claim to fame. For the uninitiated, just how bad is Ted Sallis? Stop reading when any of this starts to sound good. He’s a 91 point figure that maxes out at an eight (8) attack, but spends most of his six-click dial at a seven (7) or worse. He bests the REV by upgrading to an Impervious Defense, but he sinks to a 13 defensive value in the process. It’s nice that he starts with Charge, but his laughable speed of six (6) puts him on par with Vet Blob. If he had a character card, his Charge would be renamed “Plod of Doom” or “The Trudging Terror”. Then, to continue making the LE worse than the REV, we have a full dial of Battle Fury. As pokey as the REV Man-Thing was, at least he had Stealth and could be carried into battle. Not so with Ted. He’s going to have to walk himself into battle with that six (6) speed of his. If you’re lucky, Teddy-boy should be able to make it to the front lines just after the rest of your figures get KO’d. But the final insult, Ted Sallis isn’t even aquatic; he’s got the boot speed symbol instead. What’s worse, all those funny Man-Thing jokes, the only things that may make this figure fun to play, go out the window because this guy’s name is Ted Sallis. This figure is so bad, he had to be crafted that way with deliberate forethought and malice. He’s the clix equivalent of pulling the wings off butterflies, kicking puppies, or tying bungee cords to cats and tossing them off water towers.

#209 LE Ted Sallis
Team: No Affiliation
Range: 0 /
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal681346813367133571335712256122KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

http://www.hcrealms.com/units/mm209.jpg
Check out my gold-ringed Ted!?! Err, bronze-ringed Sallis? Ahh, forget it.

#4 – Ororo Munroe (Storm – Ultimates) REV Storm from Ultimates was a decent figure. She was cheap, she had a respectable eight (8) range, and with a mix of Ranged Combat Expert and Energy Explosion she had good offensive options. The Ultimate X-Men TA gave her a boost as well. Enter the weird left-turn that is Ororo Munroe. For four fewer points than the serviceable Experienced Storm, Ororo gives up the TA, the eight (8) range and to add to the insult, she gains an activation click. What does she get for that prodigious list of sacrifices? Strangely enough, she gets worse attack values (mostly 6’s) and worse defensive values. Her real gains come in the form of four clicks of Pulse Wave, an extra click of RCE and one click of 2 damage. Those pretty colors may look enticing, but remember; she's swinging away with 7's and 6's with those fancy powers. Who's she really going to hit? Her abysmal attack numbers don't even allow her to be a reliable medic killer. With her low and naked defense, KOing her should be child’s play for those with even the unluckiest dice. An activation click to get to horrible numbers, Pulse Wave, and RCE? What will they think of next – an activation click to get to KO? Who would ever use her? For the same or similar points one could field: 1) E Storm (Ult), 2) Stingray (Av), 3) R Mantis (SN), 4) Kraven the Spider (Sin), 5) Vet Mockingbird (Sin), 6) E SHIELD Sniper (SIN), 7) Vet Storm (Danger Room), and on and on. Basically every other figure in her point range is better than Ororo. In fact, the only time I’ve ever put Ororo on the map was in a game where the object was to build the worst team you could and then pass it to your opponent for them play. Fittingly Ororo’s team never won a match.

#210 LE Ororo Munroe
Team: No Affiliation
Range: 6 /
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal8714187132761317612166121KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

http://www.hcrealms.com/units/ul210.jpg
”I’m your private dancer. A dancer for money…”

#3 – Sam Guthrie (Cannonball – Armor Wars) Sam Guthrie is the forgettable product of mixing equal portions of failed expectations, a novel concept and poor execution. When Cannonball arrived on the scene, many ‘clix players shouted, “It’s about time!”. Then they took a breath and shouted even louder, “Where’s his Hypersonic Speed?!”. LE Sam Guthrie could have solved that problem and been a hero. Had he done so, he’d have been the only version of Cannonball that would ever see gameplay. Even just one click of HSS would have saved this figure and made up for the sins of the REV. But no. Instead of that they made him the game’s first single-based Transporter, thereby giving him a very diluted knock-off version of HSS. It’s great that the Transporter move-and-attack power lets him zip through a drive-by attack, but he does so with a -2 to his attack value. That makes this 113 point figure swing away with an 8 attack. Miserable. The only way he gets to use his much more appropriate 10 attack is to fly up next to someone, clear, and then attack the following turn, because with that lone click of 10 attack one doesn’t dare push him. The bad part of that strategy is that this gives Sam’s opponents two rounds to take free shots at him, and with a 16 Invulnerable defense, he shouldn’t that hard to hit or hurt for any other figure in his point range. Then, by the time he does get to do something, at best he’ll be on his third click with, you guessed it, an eight (8) attack. However, for fewer points, any player can field Vet Cannonball. He’s got five clicks of Charge, two clicks of Impervious, higher defensive numbers, a second click of 10 attack to make him pushable, and some late dial CCE to keep him useful even on his last click. Sam Guthrie, for the points, isn’t even useful on his first click. Instead of putting this former Kentucky coal miner on the map, I’d rather watch “Coal Miner’s Daughter” for eight days straight without sleeping or bathing, eating nothing but Taco Bell, and wearing adult diapers in lieu of using the toilet, so as not to miss even a second of the Sissy Spacek induced suffering. I’ll start that next Friday at noon. Join me, won’t you?

#203 LE Sam Guthrie
Team: X-Men
Range: 0 /
m-wing-transa-normald-normalg-normal12101631191631181521081521071529714187141KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

http://www.hcrealms.com/units/aw203.jpg
Beware the molten wrath of Fire-Butt! I’m powered by Taco Bell!

#2 - Clint Barton (Hawkeye – Clobberin’ Time) Clint, when he arrived on the scene, may have been effective, but the rules as they stand today make him utterly useless. It’s wonderful that he has three targets, but to use his RCE –which he has to do if he wants to do any damage – he can only pick one target. When he does finally get an actual damage value of one, as if by some cruel joke, he gets the much more effective Incapacitate…coupled with a six (6) attack, just to make sure he won’t actually be effective. Running Shot keeps him mobile, but what’s the point. By the time the power appears, he’ll be better served by running for his life instead. Good heavens, he’s supposed to be a secondary/tertiary attacker and he’s got zero (0) damage for the first half of his dial! Now some may say that the Wildcard TA absolves him of some of these issues. If he copies Sinister Syndicate he could get an attack value boost for when he winds up with Incap and Running Shot, but due to the adjacency requirement of the TA, that could be tough to pull off. Further, Clint is totally shut down simply by basing him with anything that doesn’t fly. A pog would be the perfect way to neuter this circus star. Even sadder, the reality is that a little old four point pog like L-Ron will have Clint beaten half to death before he can do anything about it other than try to break away or just stand there and take it like a punk. Never before have 51 points bought so much ineptitude and ineffectiveness. Granted, the Hawkeye REV left much to be desired, but Clint completes the transformation from sub-par to pathetic.

#118 LE Clint Barton
Team: Spider-Man
Range: 8 ///
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal891508814077130661216612145111KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

http://www.hcrealms.com/units/ct118.jpg
I never should have left the circus!

But as bad as all of these figures are, there are none so wretched and deplorable, so appalling and pitiful, so unspeakable and atrocious as our #1 Worst HeroClix LE Ever, none other than:

#1 Supergirl – (Supergirl – Origin) Let’s take a quick look at the dial to see what 194 points gets us.

#205 LE Supergirl
Team: Superman Enemy
Range: 6 /
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal1091739918391017281016288152881427813277123KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

In a standard 300 point game, that, what you see above is two-thirds of your team. Like your odds? I don’t’. And that is strike one for Supergirl. For that many points, if she wants to see play time, she has to be good, if not great. For two points more than the Experienced Supergirl, who is herself a far cry from the beauty that is Vet Supergirl, we get this LE. Evil Girl drops all but one click of mobility – she hangs on to one shot of Charge and then picks up a load of Flurry. Worse, she doesn’t lead off with her best attack, and counter to some very typical Seth dials, she doesn’t even get her best attack value on click #2. No, Evilella isn’t going to reliable hit any big boys until she lands on click #3. And by some evil twist of fate, her best attack values line up with her worst defensive powers. That’s right – her 10’s line up with her Toughness clicks, enabling just about any figure in the game to beat the tar out of her.

http://www.hcrealms.com/units/or205.jpg
You think I’m bad? You should see my dial!

While this sounds bad, there’s even more bad news. She never gets the E Supergirl’s click of four (4) damage, and she drops a lot of three (3) damage clicks as well. Impervious never appears either. And sadly neither do RCE, Close Combat Expert, HSS or Running Shot. Her range shrinks from eight (8) to six (6), forcing her to be dangerously close to the action at all times. The most likely cause of her dial getting so viciously savaged is the purportedly extremely expensive Superman Enemy TA. To make use of this TA in a standard game, her list of partners is rather limited, extending only to cheap Wildcards or Supes Enemies like Mr. Mind. Not the best options there. Even in a larger game she’s got her work cut out for her. In a 1000 point game she’s still 20% of the team and she’s not any better on her first or second click. In fact, in that forum, her inadequacies only become more glaring. One quick pop from anyone for just three damage and her mobility is completely gone and will never return. And, look! Then she’s on Toughness, and is ready to be punished by figures like Vet Shazam, Man of Steel, U Mongul, Vet Captain Atom and a host of other figures in her weight class, and even some middle-weight figures with good range like the new Lightning Lad could cut her apart without much trouble. That’s a sad testament to a fan-favorite character. Her REV is a perfect exhibit of how to do Supergirl right. Each version is playable and powerful, and while there may be better figures available for the points, one doesn’t feel cheated for using REV Supergirl. However, LE Supergirl sadly squanders this potential for the sake of an unwieldy team ability, a little black top and an even smaller black mini-skirt. In diametric opposition to Keith Richards, she’s looking real good, but she’s not feeling real well. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, if you want to play the evile Supergirl, take the LE’s sculpt an plop it onto the any one of the REV’s dials. That’s the only way to play an evil Supergirl without creating thoughts of quitting the game forever or the need for several years of expensive therapy and mood-stabilizing drugs.

All of this is why LE Supergirl is the single worst LE of all time. And yet, as a Marquee LE she’s pricey and sought-after. There’s some irony for you. She’s worse than the entire REV from which she is derived. Based on the potential in the REV and the popularity of the character, she’s a massive let-down. For the points, there are many better options for game play purposes, some even much less expensive than her own 194 point cost. And it’s that point cost that’s the final straw. One could play a most of the figures on this list if there was some desperate urge to do so and still have roughly half or more of the 300 points left to play with. Not so with LE Supergirl. Her foulness is so diabolically massive that at 194 points she does not allow for a player to build a team around her with any degree of success. She’s unplayable in a 300 point game, and considering how outclassed she’d be, she’s even unplayable in a 1000 point game or larger. There is no time or place for LE Supergirl – save for the bottom of a tackle box, or better yet, safe and secure in her LE box and tucked away in some forgotten closet corner, never to see the light of day again.

Thus concludes our adventure into the depths of despair. Next week we’ll have figures that are actually good again. Thanks for reading!

daponteclix
09/14/2007, 15:53
I actually think the worst thing about LE Supergirl is when you compare her to her REV. She is SOOOOOmuch worst than any of them Lesson: When you become bad, you REALLY become bad.

marosama1234
09/14/2007, 15:55
i totally agree with Supergirl, but her sculpt looks nice.

CurBludgeon
09/14/2007, 15:56
Wow. Didn't see #1 coming. Yeah, the dial's overpriced, but in, say, a scenario like the one you mentioned: build an awful team and trade it to your opponent, I might be able to win a few games with her centering the team. Not the case for most of the others there.

Still, an awesome series, and a very fun read. Thanks!

rwint1968
09/14/2007, 15:58
Gotta say, way to wrap this series up Ol_Dut! The top 5 were just who I expected with the exception of #1. But, after reading this article, I totally agree with her being #1. That Supergirl LE from Origin is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD! For 194 points, you don't even get the equivelant of the E sculpt. What?? That's why I traded her like a week after winning her at the Origin marquee. Anyway, great job. Looking forward to articles on figs that are actually good and playable again.

Thanks,
:cool:

Ilkimys
09/14/2007, 15:59
Good calls there! Nevertheless I think that LE Supergirl's sculpt is one of the most beautiful ones out there.. sadly the dial is indeed completely and utterly unplayable. Thank you for the review! :)

Boosnickerty
09/14/2007, 16:01
I agree with Supergirl being #1, but that Clint Barton is a strong canidate for the top spot. I also like the Supergirl sculpt and usually put it on one of the REV's if I play her.

snatreaper
09/14/2007, 16:05
Wait a second! Matt Murdock didn't make the list at all! I call Shenanigans.

FrankyTheClamp
09/14/2007, 16:05
yeah i can agree that supergirl sucks so much, but i am surprised the guardian of eternity didn't make it onto this list ... he is pretty horrible too

supermangl1
09/14/2007, 16:08
I had forgotten how bad the Supergirl LE was, I went for the Martian Manhunter LE instead of the evil Supergirl, and I'm glad I did. Didn't look at the dials, I knew I wanted MM by the sculpt alone.

194 for that is lame lame lame. I almost never play Superman Enemies because the cost so much, Mongul being the only sometimes exception to the rules.

DoctorDoom
09/14/2007, 16:15
Well I like the review, but old Ted will always be #1 in my book. :cool:

malakim2099
09/14/2007, 16:19
I'd have to say that the Supergirl LE might be the biggest letdown between REV and LE... but I'd still put Clint ahead of her for worst overall. And possibly Ororo and Ted as well. Hell, I can't GIVE away a Ted Sallas LE... at least Supergirl has some marketing value with the sculpt.

Still, I have to admit, every time I want to play 'evil' Supergirl, I grab the Vet base and just use that with the LE fig. ;)

hail_eris
09/14/2007, 16:26
Through all four of these articles, I've been waiting to see Rachel Van Helsing turn up. Sure, for 16 points, she's a fraction of what you'd pay for awfulness like Alan Scott or Capt. Nathaniel Adam. But she's just *so terrible* compared to the simple elegance of the REV Vampire Lackey that I figured she'd be a shoe-in.

Tarakas
09/14/2007, 16:35
Great series of reviews!

I rarely e-Bay my LEs, but I put Supergirl LE (Origins) on e-Bay the second I brought her home. She is useless in any capacity other than to sell to a collector.

earinfection
09/14/2007, 16:43
Well I like the review, but old Ted will always be #1 in my book. :cool:
You know what's FUN about Ted? Adding him into movies:

Ned Ryerson off of Groundhog Day-

Ted: Phil? Phil Connors? Phil Connors, I thought that was you!
Phil: Hi, thanks for watching.
[Starts to walk away]
Ted: Hey now, don't you tell me you don't remember me 'cause I sure as heckfire remember you.
Phil: Not a chance.
Ted: Ned... Ryerson. "Terrible Ted"? "Ted the Dead"? C'mon, buddy. Case Western High. I did the whistling belly-button trick at the high school talent show? Bing. Ted Sallis, got the shingles real bad senior year, almost didn't graduate? Bing, again. Ted Sallis, I dated your sister Mary Pat a couple of times until you told me not to anymore? Well?
Phil: Ted Sallis?
Ted: BING!
Phil: Bing.

Or when he gone (And he will be gone! Buleive dat, playa)-
Butch from Pulp Fiction
Ted's dead, baby. Ted's dead.

Iago
09/14/2007, 16:48
As bad as Ted Sallis is, the pic in the opening post is the best i've ever seen him look. Where did Land find a Sports Illustrated that looked like that?

Hypersonic90
09/14/2007, 17:00
How ironic Supergirl got the gold for ruining all rules of nature. I hate her dial!!! I should just spend the 194 points to clean air. That would give me more chances to win the game. Few days ago i stepped on this diabolical figure! I first was horrified but after i checked what LE did i step on i just laughed...

Domi
09/14/2007, 17:08
The only good thing about Ted Sallis is getting to say, "I push my Man-Thing to get in there and give you a hard time."

loganspeedo
09/14/2007, 17:33
I have 75% of all 20.

As bad as Supergirl may be, Wizard Exclusive Phoenix with the X-men TA should have beaten her out. For the minimum of 400pts, the highest attack she has is a meager 10, a range of 8 and a big target on her head. Maybe if she was 100, 200, 300 like the original Sentinal or Sinestro Contruct, she might be playable, heck I'd even say 150, 275, 400. But for three clicks of life, you spend 200 points and get an 11 attack and Impervious instead of Invulerability and a 5 instead of 4 damage and the addition of Outwit which may get used if it doesn't get Outwitted itself. Her only selling point for use is the X-Men TA which could kinda be used to heal her, but not enough to be effective. All that added with a super short Colossal fig dial, I'll take Supergirl over her any day. At least she can have LoS to her blocked by another figure.

If Phasing GL can make the list, so can Phoenix. I say maybe take off Irene Adler and shift everyone else down one since, to me at least, losing the Brotherhood free-move ability isn't that big of a factor into the games I run/play in. I'd run Irene Adler in a game, especially if I could fit a Domino or Scarlet Witch in.

jackstar7
09/14/2007, 17:40
Wow. Didn't see #1 coming. Yeah, the dial's overpriced, but in, say, a scenario like the one you mentioned: build an awful team and trade it to your opponent, I might be able to win a few games with her centering the team. Not the case for most of the others there.

Still, an awesome series, and a very fun read. Thanks!

In a sense, this is more evidence of his point. She's not even good at being terrible... she's just the weakest of sauce.

tidge
09/14/2007, 17:55
This has been a fun series, thanks much.

Isn't Ororo Munroe erratta-ed to be a flier? I think that somewhat mitigates her spot on the top five (considering her power set).

I'm somewhat surprised at Supergirl...I agree that it is a total misfire on points/TA/utility...but there are others in similar situation (Parallax? Nova?)

I'm slightly disappointed to not see figures like LE Troia (zero-range barrier, come on!) or LE Kitty Pryde (11 more points for marginal stats and crummy powers like 0-range incap) not making it to the top 20.

ichaboddanger
09/14/2007, 18:06
Supergirl is worse than the REV, but i think #2 is the worst of all time.

Shield001
09/14/2007, 18:07
Its sad because Supergirl LE is actually too good for a king of the trash tourney.

hoojeebo
09/14/2007, 18:16
I loved this series! Thanks, ol_Dut! Not only did you make me laugh, but I learned something about some of the older characters I never got around to finding out how truly despicable they not-so-secretly were. I was also extremely surprised that Parallax didn't make the list, & would love to hear your thoughts on him, as well, as maybe a "consolation prize" winner. Again, great article, man! Keep it up.

ol_Dut
09/14/2007, 18:24
Its sad because Supergirl LE is actually too good for a king of the trash tourney.

And if that isn't a sign of being terrible, what is? She's truly a misfit, an outcast, a 'clix leper in every sense!

Melkhor
09/14/2007, 18:26
And if that isn't a sign of being terrible, what is? She's truly a misfit, an outcast, a 'clix leper in every sense!

Well... I'd say in every sense but one, personally.

She does look MUCH better than your average leper in that outfit ;)

techdog
09/14/2007, 19:09
Good Series, I always thought Teth Adams was pretty bad as well, but I guess you have to really stink to make this Top 20.

caravel
09/14/2007, 19:33
In defense of Ted Sallis, you can always use him and tell people you're "playing with your special Man-Thing".

Other than making wang jokes, he's worthless.

(And you can also make wang jokes with the cheaper and more effective Lobster Johnson, you know.)

Nickel97
09/14/2007, 19:39
I've agreed with you until the end (okay #9 Green Lantern isn't that terrible either). Supergirl isn't very good. In fact she's pretty bad, but the other four of your bottom 5 are unplayable. Supergirl is bad in context of her other sculpts, but come on, she can deal up to 6 clix of damage in a round (unaided) and has a defense of 18 on her 2nd click. She has some move-attack capability too. You could play her in a 300 point game and she'd have an impact (you're not going to win most likely, but you could). Sallis? Monroe? Barton? not a chance.

Disappointment? Yes
Overcosted? Yes
Worst LE Ever? absolutely not.

Granite Moose
09/14/2007, 19:50
Excellent series, ol Dut. And I think you reached your peak of humor in this last installment. You had me chuckling the whole time I was reading it.

Unfortunately, like loganspeedo, I own the vast majority of these. My lame excuse is I'm one of those darn completists. Of course, I'm aware of their relative playing value, so I didn't pay a lot for them.

Travesty
09/14/2007, 20:35
Great list, I disagree that Supergirl is number one. I think the fact that so many people still want her, and will use the sculpt (thats really what everyone wanted anyway) puts her lower on the list.
Ororo is infact erratted to be a flier, this doesnt take her off the list but maybe puts her in the bottom ten.
Ted, Quentin, and Maxima need to be higher. I think Ted and Quentin should fight it out for #1.
I gave away my extras to my player one Christmas and I felt bad for the guy that got Quentin (I ended up giving him another different LE later)
I kept Ted for myself, I had confused him for Richard Rory (Jen Walters first boyfriend..Im a She Hulk fan). Now I feel bad for myself, He is a SR so at least I didnt win him

Monkey Joe
09/14/2007, 21:14
I've agreed with you until the end (okay #9 Green Lantern isn't that terrible either). Supergirl isn't very good. In fact she's pretty bad, but the other four of your bottom 5 are unplayable. Supergirl is bad in context of her other sculpts, but come on, she can deal up to 6 clix of damage in a round (unaided) and has a defense of 18 on her 2nd click. She has some move-attack capability too. You could play her in a 300 point game and she'd have an impact (you're not going to win most likely, but you could). Sallis? Monroe? Barton? not a chance.

Disappointment? Yes
Overcosted? Yes

Have to agree here.

vampricyoda
09/14/2007, 21:28
If you guys hate Supergirl that much I'll GLADY take her off of your hands!

tidge
09/14/2007, 21:40
Disappointment? Yes
Overcosted? Yes

That's a good checklist. I've been using a 'rule-of-thumb' that goes like this:

How much trouble would one of these LE's have trying to defeat itself in 1-on-1?
Could one of these LE's avoid being defeated if it faced two of itself?So pieces like the LE Con Artist, Sam Guthrie, Ted Sallis, Donna Troy, all would be on my top 20 worst pieces.

GMSLegion
09/14/2007, 21:45
...In fact, the only time I’ve ever put Ororo on the map was in a game where the object was to build the worst team you could and then pass it to your opponent for them play. Fittingly Ororo’s team never won a match.

We call that game "Legion of Losers" and it is actually my very favorite scenario. Ororo Munroe's practically an MVP, but Clint Barton is the definite go-to LE for the reasons you gave.

Hawkeye7777
09/14/2007, 22:18
has anyone ever heard of JERVIS TECH???????????

Wolverine_Hulk
09/14/2007, 23:30
I thought Gar Logan might make it.

biz567
09/14/2007, 23:37
Awesome. I was waiting for Ted/Sam to show up eventually. I don't even see the point in giving Sam the Transporter instead of HSS. Sure, you can't outwit it, but still...

Great article! It must have been hard to think of bad pieces and why they are bad(Kind of opposite to what you normally do) but you did great!

zero_cochrane
09/14/2007, 23:43
I'd agree that LE Supergirl is a terrible figure, and probably among the most disappointing ever. Is she really the #1 least playable LE? No, not by a long way - Supergirl at least has a decent change of KOing something before she perishes, which many of the LEs on this list cannot do. Is she the worst LE when you factor in the disappointment caused by her fan favourite status, comparisons to the REV, and collectibility? The argument is a bit stronger.

It's telling that two of the top ten worst LEs were from Origin. Man, for a set that had great REVs and interesting uniques, Origin certainly had some lacklustre LEs. I won about half of them and realised that the only ones left to compete for were craptacular. That's when you start playing silly themes. :p

The Units section needs a "neg rep" style rating for some figures. Sometimes, one star is just too good for them.

Obsidian3d
09/14/2007, 23:51
I've actually tried to build a team around the LE Supergirl and she is supremely awful. I'll never use that dial again, but will probably toss the sculpt onto another dial in the future.

zero_cochrane
09/14/2007, 23:57
Here's a breakdown of the worst LEs by set:
Marvel (11)
Armor Wars - Sam Guthrie
Clobberin' Time - Benjamin J. Grimm, Clint Barton, Elektra Natchios
Mutant Mayhem - Ted Sallis
Sinister - Monica Rambeau
Ultimates - Johnny Ell, Maxwell Dillion, Ororo Munroe, Quentin Beck
Xplosion - Irene Adler

DC (9)
Collateral Damage - Basil Karlo
Cosmic Justice - Dinah Lance, Green Lantern (Phasing)
Legacy - Captain Nathaniel Adam
Origin - Alan Scott, Dr. Fate, Supergirl
Unleashed - Maxima of Almerac, Querl Dox

So the sets for the worst LEs? Clobberin' Time, Origin, and Ultimates.

Ironically if you found boosters of CT or ULT they would fly off the shelves even at an inflated price.

My LE Tomoe Gozan (first LE that I ever won!) would like a word about the lack of IndyClix in this list, mind you. :cheeky:

thanosrules
09/15/2007, 00:01
I'm sorry, considering her point value the LE Ororo Munroe isn't that bad.

I definately agree w/ the LE Ted Salias being there. If his DV stats were even at a 15 & then gone done, it might...I repeat, might be useful to play (considering what he has & then costs).

I also have to disagree w/ the LE Supergirl being on here as well. Match it up w/ the ICWO or even have her tag team w/ like an Intergang Agent (to make use of her team ability). & she becomes nasty. Every been flurried for 4 damage, two consecutive times? Ouch.

Draggor
09/15/2007, 03:18
I'm surprised that mutant mayhem had only the one entrant but ultimates had lots. Mutant mayhem was a very lack luster set as far as the le's were concerned. Maybe that's why none of them are top 20 bad though, because they were so unimaginative there was no chance for things to go pear shaped. Ultimates on the other hand appears to be feast or famine with the le's. You get either fantastic le's like the other Clint Barton, Daniel Ketch, Frank Castle or complete turds like the ones on this list. Ultimates is also the set most praised for having variety in the le's and some real differences from the r/e/v set.

2 Gun Kid
09/15/2007, 03:22
Supergirl is bad...but shes playable...not very well but she can be effective and kill things.

Others...not so much.

I dont know how Gen Frank Rock didnt make the list nor did Fred J. Dukes or Rita DeFarr.

zero_cochrane
09/15/2007, 07:29
I'm surprised that mutant mayhem had only the one entrant but ultimates had lots. Mutant mayhem was a very lack luster set as far as the le's were concerned. Maybe that's why none of them are top 20 bad though, because they were so unimaginative there was no chance for things to go pear shaped.I think that's basically it. The LEs in Mutant Mayhem are boring, not unplayable. Nobody cares about winning LE Wade Wilson because he's so damn similar to the Deadpool REV. But he's not actually a terrible figure.

Add to that the increased availability of MM LEs as super rares, and you have a whole lot of "meh" but not all that much "oh, ####".

tidge
09/15/2007, 09:41
Here's a breakdown of the worst LEs by set:
Clobberin' Time - Benjamin J. Grimm, Clint Barton, Elektra Natchios
Ultimates - Johnny Ell, Maxwell Dillion, Ororo Munroe, Quentin Beck
Origin - Alan Scott, Dr. Fate, Supergirl
So the sets for the worst LEs? Clobberin' Time, Origin, and Ultimates.

A few comments:

Clobberin' Time has IMO some of the *best* LEs (relative to the REVs) of any set: The SHIELD/AIM/Skrull figures all represent decent upgrades for minor cost. Clint Barton was never great, but it's the "new" (Indy) rules about multi-targets that took this figure off of whatever life support it was on. The F4 LEs were more or less experimental flubs, but figures like the improved Doombot, Fred J. Dukes and a streamlined Blastaar make up for them.

Origin: Here I think the problem is that the figures seem to be designed with a "what color can I put on that slot" attitude with almost no concern towards playability. Some examples:

Dr. Fate's obviously pitiful range, contrasted with his variety of "free 10-range powers" like PC, Perplex, TK
The Guardian of Eternity with nearly top-dial Incap (at zero range to boot!) overlapping the clicks with highest natural damage. And a move of 6?
The "combat reflexes on a flier", often coupled with figures you would never want to be knocked out of B2B contact (0-range Duo Damsel and Animal Master, Battle Furious Carter Hall)
"What the?" type power choices: first click Battle Fury on the NGN Wonder Woman represents what exactly? Is the End-dial Plasticity/Perplex on Animal Master supposed to help him increase his move to soar away and try to save his 110 points?I have a personal pet peeve with Duo Damsel, as the best thing I can say about the character is that it doesn't compliment any of the other Triplicate Girls, not even with her (not divisible by 5) point cost. Personally, I'd have made (at least) the LE a non-flier, and I'd seriously have considered giving her some powers/abilities from other points in her career that aren't represented on the REV: Leadership? Exploit Weakness/Tri-Jitsu? And certainly a (short)ranged attack with Brainiac 5's force field belt (Barrier).

BigSoph
09/15/2007, 10:04
#209 LE Ted Sallis

Ted's suckfest dial reminds me of the Dark Judges, who should have been dangerous instead of pathetic

#3 – Sam Guthrie (Cannonball – Armor Wars) Instead of putting this former Kentucky coal miner on the map, I’d rather watch “Coal Miner’s Daughter” for eight days straight without sleeping or bathing, eating nothing but Taco Bell, and wearing adult diapers in lieu of using the toilet, so as not to miss even a second of the Sissy Spacek induced suffering. I’ll start that next Friday at noon. Join me, won’t you?

Buut, ah'm invunrable whin ah'm blastin'!!

I have never seen someone write with their heart on their sleeve like this on the realms before. Bravo!

#1 Supergirl – (Supergirl – Origin) Let’s take a quick look at the dial to see what 194 points gets us.

As mentioned by someone else, this fig is only in my collection because I obsessively collect DC
I wonder if, when they signed off on this figure it wasn't a an closed zero that looked like a 9 that made her (104 she would be a good secondary tent peg)

Arokosaki
09/15/2007, 10:31
Great set of reviews...and so very, very true. It's sad that LE Supergirl is so mediocre...she'll only ever see play on suicidal theme teams since it's much better to just field the E.

Wolverine_Hulk
09/15/2007, 10:54
I have used Sam Guthrie before, man does he stink, his only use is for destroying walls and other terrain.

biz567
09/15/2007, 11:22
I'd agree that LE Supergirl is a terrible figure, and probably among the most disappointing ever. Is she really the #1 least playable LE? No, not by a long way - Supergirl at least has a decent change of KOing something before she perishes, which many of the LEs on this list cannot do. Is she the worst LE when you factor in the disappointment caused by her fan favourite status, comparisons to the REV, and collectibility? The argument is a bit stronger.

It's telling that two of the top ten worst LEs were from Origin. Man, for a set that had great REVs and interesting uniques, Origin certainly had some lacklustre LEs. I won about half of them and realised that the only ones left to compete for were craptacular. That's when you start playing silly themes. :p

The Units section needs a "neg rep" style rating for some figures. Sometimes, one star is just too good for them.

Yeah, but Origin also had some pretty good LE's like Carter Hall, Michael Carter, and Detective John Jones(Not Amazing, but pretty cool). Both Carters are just awesome for the points and I'm really glad I have them.

Project: J-ko
09/15/2007, 14:26
I wish Sam Guthrie was higher up on the list so I could continue my games of using him and clocking the snot out of the other team when they don't expect it.

Surfer13
09/15/2007, 22:25
Those pretty colors may look enticing, but remember; she's swinging away with 7's and 6's with those fancy powers. Who's she really going to hit?

Uhmmm... Ted Sallis? :cool:

samuraigrifter
09/15/2007, 22:46
Caught me off guard with your #1. I do have to agree however. She's pretty bad. I only keep her around for the sculpt.

tchipley
09/16/2007, 00:55
Ted Sallis should take the top spot for the Worst. I have 9 of him to prove it. :)

Thunderwebs
09/16/2007, 04:22
The only good thing about Ted Sallis is getting to say, "I push my Man-Thing to get in there and give you a hard time."
"But you don't have a Man-Thing. You have a Ted Sallis." :grin:

Ghost-x
09/16/2007, 09:47
Hehe. "Powered by Taco Bell"

Shameless plug indeed, but somehow made me laugh and want some Taco Bell (Grande Soft Taco 4 th3 WinZ!)

Good finale Dut. I can definitely see agreeance on those last few. But, like many others, I am surprised a couple other LEs didnt make the list.

Well done and a great read.

Bubblehead
09/16/2007, 10:56
Ol Dut...absolutely fantastic read, my man!

YEAH!

All of them are stinkeroos that have yet to play and have in fact sold all of them that I did have. Because there's the collector's point to have them all and then there is the realistic view that you should never hold onto garbage.

Again, well done.

Wolverine_Hulk
09/16/2007, 13:30
Monica Rambeau 79
Basil Karlo 87
Querl Dox 47
Capt. Nathaniel Adam 161
Jonny Ell 30
Dr. Fate 134
Quentin Beck 61
Benjamin J. Grimm 133
Irene Adler 26
Maxima of Almerac 170
Dinah Lance 54
Green Lantern 151
Maxwell Dillon 54
Alan Scott 171
Elektra Natchios 21
Ted Sallis 91
Ororo Munroe 34
Sam Guthrie 113
Clint Barton 51
LE Supergirl 194
1862 points

DarkCrisis
09/17/2007, 10:08
While Evil Supergirl may be costly etc she's in no way worse then the ones you previously mentioned.

Ignatz_Mouse
09/17/2007, 10:15
In retrospect, I'm surprised Amimal Master didn't make it. 110 points for a dial that any 20 point figure can hit and hurt, and short to boot.

unus
09/17/2007, 11:03
Great review (as usual).

Being a huge New Mutants fan, I was so excited to see Cannonball in the set. I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I got Sam Guthrie. The fact that they made such a sucky over-costed figure boggles the mind.

Single based transporter? Yes!!!
No charge? Yes :tired:
No impervious? Yes :tired:
Waste of space? Yes :tired:

On the plus side, Kite-Man made me a nice Cannonball mod with the original New Mutants costume. He also modded Sunspot for me so that I could play the New Mutants in their original costumes.

ol_Dut
09/17/2007, 12:53
While Evil Supergirl may be costly etc she's in no way worse then the ones you previously mentioned.

To me her badness is exponentially magnified when her lousy dial, point cost, and the goodness of her REV are all added together. Not only is she rotten for her points, but her point cost also inhibits any player from mitigating her numerous shortcomings with feats or a supporting cast. There is absolutely nothing a player can do to or with her that will make her competitive in a 300 point game. In a high point game, she'll be outclassed by every other figure at her point level. That's what makes her the worst for me. She's rotten when looked at in isolation, she's even more rotten when compaired to how good the entire Supergirl REV was, she can't work in a 300 point game, and she can't work in a big game. That's why, from my perspective, she's the worst LE in the game.

freakazoid_x
09/17/2007, 13:07
Sam Gunthrie has no place on this list. He's a theme team champion and I've found him to be rather playable.

Ted Sallis should be higher up.

You and I disagree about placement on the list for the other LE's but I will concede that they ALL belong on the list. With the exception of Sam.

Dr.HellCustom
09/27/2007, 10:02
Thanks for the great series Ol Dut!...I never expected Supergirl as no. 1 though. But I have to agree. Summing up all the good points of her REV definitely will reveal how bad the LE is.:(

The unaffiliated rookie could beat her to a pulp one on one!:)