PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: Rampaging Hulk

ol_Dut
11/29/2007, 15:43
ol_Dut's LE Review: Rampaging Hulk
by Justin Dekker

http://www.hcrealms.com/gallery/data/500/medium/hulkpic.jpg

It’s been a long drought, but at last it’s over. The Mutations & Monsters set is here and with it come some new LE’s. First among them is the New Guy Night Rampaging Hulk, a figure players receive for free simply by bringing a new player to one of many such New Guy Night events worldwide. But is he worth the price of admission? Click on “Read More” to find out!

ol_Dut
11/29/2007, 15:53
OK, so technically the Rampaging Hulk isn’t based on any other figure from the Mutations and Monsters set, but it’s simply not sporting to examine a figure in a vacuum, so as a result, NGN Hulk will be stacked up against the #017 Hulk, the figure he’s closest to in points. Their respective dials are as follows:

#062 LE Rampaging Hulk
Team: No Affiliation
Range: 0 :bolt:
Keywords: Brute, Monster
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal10918389183810174610184711183711173610173691646916468155KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOSpeed - Squash: The Rampaging Hulk can use Leap/Climb. Immediately after the resolution of a move action in which the Rampaging Hulk uses Leap/Climb, he can use Quake as a free action.
Damage - Smash: The Rampaging Hulk can use Close Combat Expert. At the end of your turn, if there are fewer than six objects in the game, your last opponent to take an action chooses a light standard object from outside the game and places it 6 or fewer squares from the Rampaging Hulk in an unoccupied square to which the Rampaging Hulk has a clear line of fire.

http://www.hcrealms.com/units/mu062.jpg

#017 R Hulk
Team: No Affiliation
Range: 0 :bolt:
Keywords: Monster, Scientist
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal6715178173781738918481019471118371117361016369163KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

http://www.hcrealms.com/units/mu017.jpg

LE Rampaging Hulk’s Gains vs. Rookie Hulk
For openers, Rampaging Hulk has one more click of life than Hulk, two more if you count the activation click as a “lost” click as I typically do. On his attack track he adds one additional click of 10 attack, and two more of nine (9) attack numerically speaking, and two clicks of Quake and one of Flurry from a powers perspective. Defensively, Rampaging Hulk acquires two more clicks of an impressive 18 defense, and also adds two late dial clicks of Combat Reflexes. Damage also receives a boost with two more clicks of four (4) damage and even a click of five (5) damage. While Rookie Hulk from the base set is new to the hero business and doesn’t have any special powers to speak of, Rampaging Hulk from those crazy ‘70’s has two: Squash, which lets him move his full movement with Leap/Climb and then use Quake as a free action, and Smash, which lets Rampaging Hulk use Close Combat Expert and bring in additional objects from outside the game. Overall, it is an impressive list of enhancements.

LE Rampaging Hulk’s Losses vs. Rookie Hulk
The list of subtractions is relatively short. Chief among them is the absence of the beastly 19 defense. He also surrenders two clicks of Invulnerable defense, doesn’t have Perplex and lacks the “Scientist” keyword.

Neutral Dial Tinkering
There really aren’t any to speak of, as everything that happens to the Rampaging Hulk is either intrinsically good or bad.

Cards that Work
Rampaging Hulk’s dial is pretty solid as it stands, however for a very modest three (3) point investment, he can be outfitted with Monster Hunter to give him a +1 to his attack and damage values aginst figures with the “Monster” keyword. And given his lack of a team ability, Disbanded seems a natural fit.

If ol_Dut had to Choose
So maybe that wasn't a fair comparison. In a lot of ways it seems like the outcome one would see if Tiger Woods challenged an Average Joe to a round of golf. The results are so far apart they seem patently unfair. But that aside, it does raise an important point that must not be ignored. Every once in a while a truly rare piece comes along. Sometimes, as in the case of Rupert or Dr. Karla Sofen, that rarity is driven by simple scarcity – there just aren’t that many of them out there, catapulting collectors into a frenzy. Then there are figures like LE Ghost Widow, a figure with a truly niche set of powers, values and TA that no other figure can really match. Finally, we get to the Rampaging Hulk. For 128 points we get a truly rare figure – a fan favorite character with an impressive set of powers and abilities that is not only widely available, he’s literally free.

Rampaging Hulk’s Squash special power gives him mobility that is relatively unmatched save for the highly coveted Hypersonic Speed. Being able to move a full 10 squares, ignoring elevation, terrain and characters and then being able to make an attack is astounding for a grounded brick. Barely needing any time to ramp up, Rampaging Hulk starts the game with a respectable nine (9) attack and three (3) damage and his statistics only improve as one gets further into his dial. It isn’t until his very last click that we see his only substandard attack value, an eight (8). Thanks to his Smash special power, he doesn’t even need objects to pound out impressive damage numbers as the power lets him use Close Combat Expert. Further, if any objects have been used or destroyed, Smash also affords him the ability to bring in an additional light object from outside the game. Even better, he’s a Hulk without an activation click or any of the teamwork-inhibiting Battle Fury. Even his sculpt is incredible. It feels as if it has sprung out of a comic book and challenges our expectations about what is possible with regard to creating dymanic sculpts. Indeed, this Hulk is remarkable for what is on his dial as much for what isn’t.

With so much going for him, it is something of an understatement to say that there is never a bad time to field the Rampaging Hulk. In fact the only time one wouldn’t is when there was a need or desire to play a Hulk like Green Scar who runs about 100 points more than the Rampaging Hulk. However, in most instances, when a Hulk is required, Rampaging Hulk should get called into service. And considering the fact that he’s being given away at New Guy Nights everywhere, everyone who wants one should be able to get one. That being said, considering the strength of his dial and his team-friendly point cost, I would suspect that Rampaging Hulk will be a very popular figure in the upcoming Floor Events. After all, not only is he one of the best Hulks ever, he’s one of the very best figures in Mutations and Monsters. He's the best early holiday present the folks at WizKids could have given us.

Quick and Dirty Price Tag
NGN LE Rampaging Hulk is free. Go to a New Guy Night and get one for free. I know some folks seem to want to pay for these guys, some are even coughing up more than $15-20 for him, but that doesn’t mean you should. Granted, he’s worth the $20, but he’s free at NGN, so go get him!

That’s all for this week. Next week? More M&M LE goodness. Thanks for reading!

thepunisher27
11/29/2007, 15:59
Yaaa the dut is back in town. Nice to see your reviews again man! As always awesome review thanks!

Repulsor rage
11/29/2007, 16:06
Good stuff

BTW RH defense is 17 on the 14

negativsteve
11/29/2007, 16:07
Armor Piercing goes nicely on NGN Hulk, so that his Squash Quake can affect enemies with damage reducers

Zemo13
11/29/2007, 16:09
Thanks for another great review. I hope my venue finally got one of these bad boys in this week!

Ghost-x
11/29/2007, 16:12
Very cool review. I love this piece. I have waited patiently for a GOOD Hulk, and then we get three in this set. Nice!

I took mine and popped the figure off the base and put an old IC Hulk just because I have loved the sculpt from day one, one of my personal favorite scuplts that drew me into Heroclix from the start.

Spider-Dave
11/29/2007, 16:13
Good review...tho you are far more optimistic than I could be. I look at Rampaging Hulk's dial as an example of borken...and the fact that he is free and easily found makes it worse.

KC Caolán
11/29/2007, 16:14
Good to see these reviews back on. Can't wait to get me some NGN Hulk action.

ol_Dut
11/29/2007, 16:19
Very cool review. I love this piece. I have waited patiently for a GOOD Hulk, and then we get three in this set. Nice!

I took mine and popped the figure off the base and put an old IC Hulk just because I have loved the sculpt from day one, one of my personal favorite scuplts that drew me into Heroclix from the start.

While I can appreciate the nostalgic reason that drove you to this, um, blasphemy:laugh: , it kinda makes me sad because the Rampaging Hulk's sculpt is one of the best out there. We're talking top 10 material here:cool: !

Melkhor
11/29/2007, 16:22
Just for the record, you don't have to use the CCE from Hulk's Special Power to add a light object to the game. The two effects are completely seperate from each other, and a new object will be added to the game each turn (as long as there are fewer than 6 objects in the game by the end of your turn) wether you used CCE that turn or not ;)

Marshal Law
11/29/2007, 16:33
Just one minor nit with the LE - he should either have a 10 attack with that special power, or more than one click of it. Preferably the latter, as it makes sense his leaping attack wouldn't be very likely to hit against other battle aware superheroes, but he should be able to do it more often.

Other than that its IMO the closest representation of Hulk to the comics that they've made, if you keep the power level below the "not kicking the entire Avengers team around" Hulk. A Charge + Leap/Climb combo has been missing from his resume for far too long. That they pulled it off for less than 150 is impressive. Two things have made most Hulks unplayable - lack of mobile attack and grossly high cost for something so easily wacked past his good clicks before he gets there. This is still to expensive for truly competitive play, but its not the "waste 1/2 - 2/3 your build and rapidly get your posterior handed to you" figure most Hulks were - this one *will* be a threat to treat seriously, even if most range heavy teams will still ultimately prevail after taking a fair bit of pain.

bigbro911
11/29/2007, 16:37
Just for the record, you don't have to use the CCE from Hulk's Special Power to add a light object to the game. The two effects are completely seperate from each other, and a new object will be added to the game each turn (as long as there are fewer than 6 objects in the game by the end of your turn) wether you used CCE that turn or not ;)
Unlike the Hulk's rage, you can actually control that power by turning it off before the end of your turn. :p

loganspeedo
11/29/2007, 16:53
That Hulk Squash is dynomite. It dished out damage three CSA'er (twice, but the third time was a miss, stupid multiple prob control against me.) Two Invisible Women with Alt FF ability, and an Outwitted Superman. And pushing him still makes him better.

Shellhead's Pal
11/29/2007, 17:04
Yeah, the Rampaging Hulk is crazy. My girlfriend kicked my Zombie Iron Man's butt with him at New Guy Night. ;)

God, Michael Turner's Hulk, on the other hand, leaves much to be desired. That's got to be one of the ugliest pictures ever.

ol_Dut
11/29/2007, 17:05

Adding all these objects back into the game would make him Arcade's best friend. Hulk keeps bringing them in, then Arcade keeps moving them around and blowing them up.

Melkhor
11/29/2007, 17:06
Adding all these objects back into the game would make him Arcade's best friend. Hulk keeps bringing them in, then Arcade keeps moving them around and blowing them up.

Heh, didn't even think of that, but it's a great idea! HULK SMASH MURDERWORLD! :laugh:

Black Rose
11/29/2007, 17:27
Great Article!

Wolverine_Hulk
11/29/2007, 17:42
I think Rampaging Hulk is more similar to Green Scar, and the Grey Hulk is more like the Bruce Banner LE.

larthosgrr8
11/29/2007, 17:59
i'm running a monster team with him zzaxx and zombie spidey.

tidge
11/29/2007, 18:12
While I can appreciate the nostalgic reason that drove you to this, um, blasphemy:laugh: , it kinda makes me sad because the Rampaging Hulk's sculpt is one of the best out there. We're talking top 10 material here:cool: !

I've been waiting for a good hulk dial to put my "Christmas Hulk" sculpt (from a mini-marvel ornament set) upon for YEARS.

It is also nice to have such an impressive hulk that can absorb the cost of even the priciest feats (Fortitude, anyone?) and still be respectable.

Ghost-x
11/29/2007, 18:21

:confused: Dut! Surely you jest! That scuplt is butt ugly to me! He looks like a squatting frog of death, but that is about as cool as he could get. His face is too goobery and his legs are too bowed. His arms are about the only thing I find done well.

Oh well, tomatoe...tomahtoe

:cheeky:

Cliffjumper
11/29/2007, 19:04
Ya know what always bugged me about Hulk figures and their catch names like the "Savage" Hulk Xplosion U and the Rampaging Hulk? For being so ticked off theyre these Hulks dont have Battle Fury. :cheeky:

WarHULK
11/29/2007, 19:36
Thanks for the great review on one of my new favorite figures! as much as I love Green Scar, Rampaging Hulk will see much more play time from me!

bullseye100
11/29/2007, 19:47
what does this mean

Damage - Smash: The Rampaging Hulk can use Close Combat Expert. At the end of your turn, if there are fewer than six objects in the game, your last opponent to take an action chooses a light standard object from outside the game and places it 6 or fewer squares from the Rampaging Hulk in an unoccupied square to which the Rampaging Hulk has a clear line of fire.

bullseye100
11/29/2007, 19:49
sorry I got an answer...

Just for the record, you don't have to use the CCE from Hulk's Special Power to add a light object to the game. The two effects are completely seperate from each other, and a new object will be added to the game each turn (as long as there are fewer than 6 objects in the game by the end of your turn) wether you used CCE that turn or not

ol_Dut
11/29/2007, 19:52
what does this mean

It means two things:
1 - Hulk can use CCE, so he gets a +2 to damage, and
2 - If some objects have been used, at the end of each of your turns, you can put a new light object on the map within six squares of the Hulk. So basically, you get to add objects back into the game if they've been used to make attacks or have been destroyed. You can't do this, though, if it would result in there being more than six objects on the map.

bigdonkey1
11/29/2007, 20:02
ok thanks for the review.

i have decided that if i ever decided to run my own torrnements i'm going to get rid of the keyword system.

just a heads up

Jools
11/29/2007, 22:29
Nice review. Dont forget that he's only free if you're lucky enough to live somewhere somewhere appropriate. For a lot of folks (like me), a costly bit of ebaying is the only way to get one.

larthosgrr8
11/29/2007, 22:44
ok..new team...ngn hulk, zombie ironman and giantman. monster theme team. and if i want, outsmart to make it an even 300. how does that sound??

gatharion
11/29/2007, 23:39
I have NO idea how Rampaging Hulk can only cost 128 pts. That's a really solid point cost for such a figure even WITHOUT his special powers.

kap
11/29/2007, 23:44
fact is he might be easy to get someplaces but the overwhelming turnouts with new player reduced the avalibility was next to impossible, I personally saw 30 new player show up at 1 event,now if they were doing it to get started or help out a gamer who's only getting 1 buy bringing in someone who hasn't played in an even in 6 months 2 store locally in ME. HAD NONE FOR REGULAR GAMESA THAT DIDN'T BRING IN NEWBIES..... somtimes I think there should be a regular players mailing....play 2 times a month or more get the le without waiting for a NGN. or chasing one down....not like a book clube but an email with the option to say pay the shipping for a NGN clix of this quality or feat cards that are there in stock for active players that don't buy 3 or 4 bricks......just a thought.

innerfury
11/30/2007, 00:16
good review, i enjoyed playing with the Rampaging hulk, and i like the look of it.

Justice_Society
11/30/2007, 08:45
fact is he might be easy to get someplaces but the overwhelming turnouts with new player reduced the avalibility was next to impossible, I personally saw 30 new player show up at 1 event,now if they were doing it to get started or help out a gamer who's only getting 1 buy bringing in someone who hasn't played in an even in 6 months 2 store locally in ME. HAD NONE FOR REGULAR GAMESA THAT DIDN'T BRING IN NEWBIES..... somtimes I think there should be a regular players mailing....play 2 times a month or more get the le without waiting for a NGN. or chasing one down....not like a book clube but an email with the option to say pay the shipping for a NGN clix of this quality or feat cards that are there in stock for active players that don't buy 3 or 4 bricks......just a thought.

First off, after reading this a few times, I think I get what your saying. You are upset because you didn't get a NGN Hulk because you didn't bring a new guy to the New Guy Night? Wizkids put NGN into place to try to get new people interested in the game and to support venues by getting people into their respective stores. To send one to every player would be extremely costly with how many it has to produce and how much shipping is nowadays. I think the way NGN is set up is perfect.

As for ol_Dut's review. Spot on my good man. I am definitely one of those guys that is going to work NGN Hulk into my Floor build. At least I am going to try to during Week #1. Thanks for the good write up.

thebecoming
11/30/2007, 09:04
Ive been watching the prices on Ebay all week and i finally gave in when i found a buy-it-now, with the magical $10 price breaker.
Its still selling close to $20 in some auctions.
You should be able to pick him up for less than ten bucks in a week or two.
I also bought a green scar when my friend bought a brick and only got one, (which kinda makes sense). I paid $9, (which I think is steep) and in two weeks should drop and hover at 5-6 from here from on out.

I gotta have my Clix!
Oh plastic crack, so precious......

thebecoming
11/30/2007, 09:06
Oh and Rampaging Hulk rules too...128 points of beatstick?
How can you not field this bad boy?
The sculpt is awesome as well!

gatharion
11/30/2007, 09:21
or feat cards that are there in stock for active players that don't buy 3 or 4 bricks

I do like this idea. There are lots of feats, bfcs, and special objects that I can't get because I don't have enough money to spend lots on extra boosters. I think that it would be pretty cool if WK sent regular players extra cardboard from old sets.

Of course WK has actually been pretty good about player participation.
Tournament prize kits.
NGN figs.
Free maps.
And WK at least used to send LEs to regular players who hadn't won any recent tourney prizes. I know that I've recieved two or three figures that way.
Really I think that WK is more generous towards its players than most companies.

And yes I too am likely to use Rampaging Hulk in any M&M floor events that I actually go to. I'm not sure who to team him up with though. I do have a Marvel Girl and would still have enough room to fit in JL Batman, R SHAZAM, or whatever other cheese I want. However, I'd prefer to figure out something more thematic.

AndarPul
11/30/2007, 10:35
It means two things:
1 - Hulk can use CCE, so he gets a +2 to damage, and
2 - If some objects have been used, at the end of each of your turns, you can put a new light object on the map within six squares of the Hulk. So basically, you get to add objects back into the game if they've been used to make attacks or have been destroyed. You can't do this, though, if it would result in there being more than six objects on the map.

I see where several comments mention that the Rampaging Hulk's (YOU in the quote above) controller are adding objects to the game but, actually, you are choosing (by not turning off the SP) to allow your OPPONENT to add and PLACE these objects on the map. This is a significant detail, I believe!

ol_Dut
11/30/2007, 10:58
I see where several comments mention that the Rampaging Hulk's (YOU in the quote above) controller are adding objects to the game but, actually, you are choosing (by not turning off the SP) to allow your OPPONENT to add and PLACE these objects on the map. This is a significant detail, I believe!

Yes and no. The Hulk has the power which allows for a light object to be added. All your foe gets to do is pick which standard light object is brought in (and who cares, really, as they all do the same damage) and plop it on the map. It is the Hulk's contoller who has the power to cause the object to enter the game, so yes, he's technically adding the object. Your opponent merely gets to pick where it goes within the established guidelines.

Kon`El
11/30/2007, 15:34
This guy will be wicked good with teammates that are nanoboted.

Normandy
12/01/2007, 19:54
That is a great review.