The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: Esme Cuckoo [Archive] - HeroClix Realms

PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: Esme Cuckoo

ol_Dut
01/10/2008, 14:45
ol_Dut's LE Review: Esme Cuckoo
by Justin Dekker

http://www.hcrealms.com/gallery/data/500/esme_cuckoo.png
Much more fun than the Doublemint Twins.

Ahh, the naughty schoolgirl. Given some of the other titillating sculpts that HeroClix has to offer, such as Power Girl, AoA Jean Grey, JL’s Wonder Woman and the more classic Con Artist, I suppose it was only a matter of time before this last line was crossed. And thanks to Mutations and Monster’s Cuckoos, that time is now! Our focus today will hone in on one very naughty schoolgirl in particular; Esme Cuckoo. To find out just how bad this bad girl is, please click on “Read More”!

ol_Dut
01/10/2008, 14:52
Here is the data on the Cuckoos available in the M&M boosters.

#009 R Cuckoo
Team: X-Men
Range: 6 :bolt:
Keywords: Psychic, Teen, X-Men
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal7916279151681515714157131KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO
:m-boot: Speed - Coordination: Cuckoo can use Mind Control. When Cuckoo is given a Move Action, she can carry up to two other adjacent Cuckoos.
:d-normal: Defense - Hive Mind: When Cuckoos is given an action, you can modify one of her combat values (including Range), by + until the end of the round, for each other Cuckoo adjacent to her.

And here is the information on the evil Esme Cukcoo as part of the Brotherhood.

#101 E Esme Cuckoo
Team: Brotherhood
Range: 8 :bolt:
Keywords: Brotherhood of Mutants, Mutant, Psychic, Teen
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal71016269152681526814157131KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

http://www.hcrealms.com/units/mu009.jpg

LE Esme Cuckoo’s Gains vs. Rookie Cuckoo
OF primary interest, Emse’s range receives a boost from six (6) to eight (8). She also acquires the Brother of Mutants TA and keyword. The Mutant keyword, inexplicably absent from the Rookie finally makes an appearance on the LE’s card. I don't understand that one bit, but maybe I missed that meeting. Esme’s powers get quite an upgrade while adding only 10 points to her cost. She must have done some seriuous extra credit work to pull that off. Among her newfound or expanded powers are three clicks of Mind Control, four of Psychic Blast, one of Super Senses and all to appropriately two clicks of Perplex. Numerically, she gets a couple of bumps as well. Esme’s a 10 – which is to say she has a 10 attack. She also has a very nice pair of two (2) damage clicks, bringing her total of such clicks to three (3).

LE Esme Cuckoo’s Losses vs. Rookie Cuckoo
Esme isn’t just about her augmentations. She’s also had to make some sacrifices to get where she is, but thankfully that list of losses is as short as her skirt. For starters, she strips off the X-Men keyword, X-Men TA, and the Coordination and Hive Mind special powers. She has one less click of seven (7) speed, and doesn’t have any Probability Control to speak of. Shape Change has also been discarded.

Neutral Dial Tinkering
Esme gets her Psychic Blast at the top of her dial where it will do the most good, while the Rookie Cuckoo has hers in the oh so hard hard to count on middle of her dial. Every other change makes Esme naughtier or nicer depending on your point view.

Cards that Work
A Mind Controller with a solid 8 range, Esme would benefit greatly from Mental Shields to prevent her from taking feedback damage for messing with the minds of the big boys in her sights. Since she only has one target, she isn’t penalized on that front either. The all too frequently used Nanobots would also be an exemplary solution to that nasty MC feedback problem, an antidote for her relatively naked defense track, or both. Regarding Battle Field Conditions or Event Dials, much to her chagrin she’s not calling the shots here, so she will have to accept whatever is in the best interest of her team as a whole.

If ol_Dut has to Choose
LE Esme Cukcoo vs. Rookie Cuckoo? If I had to choose between playing either or Esme or a Rookie Cukcoo with only a g-sting-sized difference of 10 points between them, the choice is obvious and Esme Cuckoo is going to catch my eye every time. Offensively, Mind Control, Psychic Blast and a 10 attack have never been so cheap. Sure she only has five click dial, but built as she is she’s not going to be leading the charge anyway. Instead, she’ll be opportunistically Mind Controlling the biggest threats her opponent has to offer, or slicing through their defenses with PB from a safe distance. One quick push or click of MC feedback puts her on a respectable nine (9) attack and Perplex to not only service her own needs, but those of her team as well. All in all, there are few figures for the points that would be a better investment than Esme.

As luck would have it, however, the choice between Esme and Rookie Cuckoo does not need to be an either/or equation. To be comics accurate, Esme should be teamed-up with as many as four of her sisters, and doing so brings the total to 210 points, leaving a fair amount of room to add in some more firepower for this team. Best of all, Esme is considered a Cuckoo for the purposes of the Rookie’s Hive Mind and Coordination special powers. This enables Esme to not only be carried into battle by her sisters, but by virtue of Hive Mind she can pump up an adjacent sister’s combat values to make her a better Mind Controller or a bigger damage dealer.

Quick and Dirty Price Tag
Esme is so new to the scene there is very little data out there regarding her price. But considering the performance of the LE cardboard from the prior M&M events and the fact that she’s highly playable, I would not be surprised at all to see Esme going for $20 or more. But that’s not a lot of money for a girl of her caliber.

That’s all for this week. Next time we’ll have another greatly anticipated LE figure from Mutations and Monsters. Thanks for reading!

RavenProject
01/10/2008, 15:10
Best of all, Esme is considered a Cuckoo for the purposes of the Rookie’s Hive Mind and Coordination special powers. This enables Esme to not only be carried into battle by her sisters, but she can also benefit from Hive Mind to get her comabt values pumped up making her a better Mind Controller or a bigger damage dealer

Are you sure about this?

I understand that Esme counts as a Cuckoo in order to boost R Cuckoo's stats with Hive Mind.

However, Esme does not possess Hive Mind herself, so it doesn't seem that her own stats could be boosted.

-J

BLACKHEART25
01/10/2008, 15:11
She is indeed awesome...and I'm gonna throw another feat card that may make her awesomer (is that a word?). Extended range. Now she may grab unsuspecting foes from 10 squares away!! (using mind control of course) If they DO decide to come in range psychic blast them. For only 50 points she's quite the investment....say hello to Kid Flashe's new girlfriend!!

Wolverine_Hulk
01/10/2008, 15:15
Great review!

ol_Dut
01/10/2008, 15:16
Are you sure about this?

I understand that Esme counts as a Cuckoo in order to boost R Cuckoo's stats with Hive Mind.

However, Esme does not possess Hive Mind herself, so it doesn't seem that her own stats could be boosted.

-J

Thanks for the catch - I had it right the first time but then inexplicably switched it all around backwards during proofing.:p

Xplodiak
01/10/2008, 15:19
Esme may be carried by other Cuckoos.

Other Cuckoos may boost their stats when Esme is adjacent to them.

That's how it works. Cuckoos aren't my cup of tea, but they're wicked fun!

bigbro911
01/10/2008, 15:20
Kudos...I think you hit almost every cheap cliché possible!! :p

anonym0use
01/10/2008, 15:25
I'm excited to try this figure out with Compel - she seems to be the perfect candidate for the card.

Valentyne
01/10/2008, 15:38
If you Compel another Cuckoo to KO, it'll be somewhat comic accurate.

I like Esme. Like her alot. Mr. Jackson thinks so, too.

DarkCrisis
01/10/2008, 15:44
Warbound is also a great feat for the Cuckoos.

lancelot
01/10/2008, 15:47
Mr. Jackson thinks so, too.
Did you mean Mr. Johnson? :laugh:

IceHot
01/10/2008, 15:47
The Coordination feat is really good as well as it lets you use ProbControl through the other cuckos.

Since you will obviously be doing X-Men tricks maintaining a large number of PCs is pretty easy.

Valentyne
01/10/2008, 15:52
Did you mean Mr. Johnson? :laugh:

Look on a $20 bill and tell me what president you see.

Vevilaughs
01/10/2008, 15:57
I can't wait to play her with Xornito, just for some comic-themed fun!

SLVRSR4
01/10/2008, 16:01
Great review, however, I now feel kinda dirty.

Mon_ami
01/10/2008, 16:29
Great review, glad to see LE Reviews again, it has been way too long. Glad to see all the good humor too. Thanks for the laughs and review, can't wait for the others.

I really like Esme and can't wait to get one, she will indeed be an asset to my brotherhood, X-men, and cuckoo teams.

AUKOS
01/10/2008, 16:33
Thanks for the review!

Always did like those catholic skirts. :p

AUKOS

scarecrow826
01/10/2008, 16:39
I initially saw this as a minor threat, but now I'm realizing that Cuckoo could definitely be ridiculous.

Luckily only a couple people bought into M&M here, so I probably won't have to face it ever.

malakim2099
01/10/2008, 16:39
The Coordination feat is really good as well as it lets you use ProbControl through the other cuckos.

Since you will obviously be doing X-Men tricks maintaining a large number of PCs is pretty easy.

You can't, actually, since Esme has the Brotherhood TA, not the X-Men TA. Although, I'm thinking the Compel idea instead of Mental Shields for Esme would be insanely fun. And very very nasty. :cool:

Ghost-x
01/10/2008, 16:40
I want her, but I don't really know if I like her. For 50 points, there are better figures for sure. Her super senses isn't impressive with the low defense. One swing and she can be rolled.

The back end of her dial is far less impressive than the Cuckoos'. I would actually rather play one of them over her. 10 less points. prob, and some back dial defense/offense.

She is front loaded, and not really that loaded. ;)

ol_Dut
01/10/2008, 16:41
Thanks for the review!

Always did like those catholic skirts. :p

AUKOS

Frank Zappa had some interesting things to say on that subject :laugh:, and that song of his always runs through my head whenever I see one of these Cuckoo figures.

Kite-Man
01/10/2008, 16:44
I only have one Cuckoo.

Strangely, I have no follow-up joke for that.

tidge
01/10/2008, 16:45
'm0use said it best: Compel is nearly perfect for her, especially as part of a Cuckoo swarm. After an adjacent sister attacks a foe, she can be compelled to repeat the attack, or maneuver/position the sisters...and the compelled figures have very nice dials for taking the Compel clicks or just swapping them back and forth.

lancelot
01/10/2008, 18:29
Look on a $20 bill and tell me what president you see.
I had a different context of my joke, but yeah Mr. Jackson buys Esme. Mr. Johnson, ahem...never mind.

absolutvt69
01/10/2008, 18:36
I enjoy double entendres.

tyroclix
01/10/2008, 19:20
I enjoy double entendres.

Clever... :devious:

Wait, no its not.

:p

Nighthawk
01/10/2008, 19:42
She is good, she would be sick if she had the perplex on the first click

minideadpool
01/10/2008, 19:52
Thanks for the great review.

Valentyne
01/10/2008, 21:01
I don't know which is better now:

The review, or...

The many jokes, slams and inuendos that seem to follow the frisky five.

I suddenly had the urge to do an Austin Powers gag with Johnson and melons and the like.

I'll let someone else go for it, though.

larthosgrr8
01/10/2008, 21:55
i just got her tonight(i won fellowship), and i can't wait to use on a team with her three sisters. she is pretty awesome and can be a pain to deal with if used right.

spider_ham
01/10/2008, 23:11
Esme's a great Taunt piece. Use the other Cuckoos to MC the target to attack an opposing character and/or move further away (out of range, onto hindering, etc.).

Hypersonic90
01/11/2008, 03:04
I only have one Cuckoo.

Strangely, I have no follow-up joke for that.

Awww.... same here.... sadly :cheeky:

Casby
01/11/2008, 06:47
This review is laced with bizarre sexual references.

And what is a g-sting? Revealing underwear for wasps?

phantalien
01/11/2008, 06:56
Before the event Thursday night there was a girl walking around the venue who looked like a brunette Cuckoo. This turned out to not be a good omen because I did not win.

Great article I feel that Esme will be a great part of any team regardless of the use of other Cuckoos

CaptainNifty
01/11/2008, 07:42
Great article I feel that Esme will be a great part of any team regardless of the use of other Cuckoos

Esme is one cuckoo that can really be played without another cuckoo present. The others really need sister support.

On a side note: I'm not sure why Esme got the mutant keyword. The cuckoos aren't exactly mutants as they are genetically altered clone-like beings of Emma Frost. So it makes sense that the others didn't have the mutant keyword.

mohenjo
01/11/2008, 08:53
Everybody says this piece reminds them of a young Britney Spears.

Reminds me of the Olsen twins.

malakim2099
01/11/2008, 09:18
This review is laced with bizarre sexual references.

And what is a g-sting? Revealing underwear for wasps?

What Janet Van Dyne buys at Victoria's Secret? :cheeky:

DocFaust
01/11/2008, 09:39
I really want one!

But, man, it is going to be a pain to get one here in Brazil...

larthosgrr8
01/11/2008, 10:00
Before the event Thursday night there was a girl walking around the venue who looked like a brunette Cuckoo. This turned out to not be a good omen because I did not win.

hopefully you'll roll better at CTA tonight. i wish you luck dude. our game last night was rough.

HappyTrain
01/11/2008, 13:32
My other four Cuckoos are huddled together in my case, just waiting for their sister to arrive. Hopefully this Sunday, they will be complete. Maybe I'll have good sealed pulls for once.

cattmoe
01/11/2008, 14:29
The Mutant keyword, inexplicably absent from the Rookie finally makes an appearance on the LE’s card.

Ok, I'm really not trying to be a nitpicker here, but this came up in a ton of other threads.

The Cuckoos are not mutants, in any way shape or form.

They were genetically engineered at the world facility... they're essentially clones. The fact that they don't have the mutant keyword is 100 %appropriate, and I'm not sure why Esme does have it.

HCannonFodder
01/11/2008, 17:26
Esme's a great Taunt piece. Use the other Cuckoos to MC the target to attack an opposing character and/or move further away (out of range, onto hindering, etc.).

What - are you saying she's a clixtease?!?

Hypersonic90
01/12/2008, 07:44
Won my Esme today and im pretty happy, though i was pretty disgusted by my opponent's Box :nervous:

Wolverine_Hulk
01/12/2008, 10:29
I got her from fellowship. My team did pretty badly with Super-Adaptoid, The Hood, Pete Wisdom, and Archangel.

Hypersonic90
01/12/2008, 10:38
I got her from fellowship. My team did pretty badly with Super-Adaptoid, The Hood, Pete Wisdom, and Archangel.

What in Gods name made you take Super-Adaptoid... That's an awful piece in my opinion.. Parasite is much better (who sucks also) :classic:

Glen Quagmire
01/12/2008, 23:47
What in Gods name made you take Super-Adaptoid... That's an awful piece in my opinion.. Parasite is much better (who sucks also) :classic:

It's sealed play. He may not have had much else.

Hypersonic90
01/13/2008, 04:25
It's sealed play. He may not have had much else.

Well yeah. He must have drawn really bad figures :cry:

vegeta1978
01/13/2008, 14:51
I was awarded my Esme off of fellowship too. I had a pretty nice pull from my boosters. I ran Storm, Marvel Girl & Colossus for an X-Men Keyword team. I had a blast because everyone knew I really wanted to win an Esme, including my dice! In my last match, I went up against Prof.X, Archangel, Cuckoo & the Hood. I took out Xavier, picked off Hood & the Cuckoo, but my opponent used Archangel to take out Storm & Marvel Girl. It came down to Colossus chasing down Archangel, which took about 5-6 turns. When I finally pinned him down, we had both taken 2 clicks of pushing damage from our little game of tag. Archangel failed the breakaway roll to use his charge & run ability. Next turn I made a Close Combat attack with Colossus carrying a heavy object-Crtical Hit! Colossus hit for 7 damage & even with his invulnerability, Archangel couldn't take it. Even my dice knew how much I wanted to get an Esme.

Wolverine_Hulk
01/13/2008, 16:22

It was between Super-Adaptoid and Uncommon Hulk as my two choices.

I also played deep shadows.

Back to the thread theme:

I think Esme Cuckoo is a cross between White Queen (minus the leadership) and a Con Artist.
xp003 V Con Artist
Team: None
Range: 0 :bolt:
m-boota-fistd-normalg-starburst67131561214511144101KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

ct080 E White Queen
Team: None
m-boota-fistd-normalg-starburst6101626915258142571324613146121KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

mu101 E Esme Cuckoo
Team: The Brotherhood
Keywords: Brotherhood of Mutants, Mutant, Psychic, Teen
m-boota-fistd-normalg-starburst71016269152681526814157131KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO
(Special) Cuckoo: Esme Cuckoo is considered a Cuckoo for the purposes of the Cuckoo's Coordination and Hive Mind special powers.