PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: Charles Xavier

ol_Dut
02/22/2008, 10:38
Ol_Dut’s LE Review: Charles Xavier
By Justin Dekker

http://www.hcrealms.com/gallery/data/500/xavier.jpg
As a matter of fact, yes. They do call me “Wheels”.

After five years and five versions, Professor Xavier is back with a new Unique and the LE treatment. Which will survive the scrutiny and emerge as the better of the two pieces? Which one should just go home to wax, polish, and buff his big ol' bald head? Click on “Read More” to find out!

ol_Dut
02/22/2008, 10:58
Since no one can see Professor X’s dial, here it is:

#031 U Professor X
Team: X-men
Range: 12 :bolt:
Keywords: Illuminati, Mutant, Psychic, X-men
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal61117161016251016351016349153109162108172108181KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO:d-normal: Defense - Cerebro: Professor X can use Perplex. When Professor X uses Perplex, he can use it normally or choose a single keyword and affect every target character 10 or fewer squares from Professor X that possesses that keyword (including himself, if he possesses the keyword) and to which Professor X has a clear line of fire.

Since no one can see Chuck’s dial, here’s that one, too.

#104 E Charles Xavier
Team: X-Men
Range: 10 :bolt:
Keywords: Mutant, Psychic, X-Men
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal61017371017271016269162691525916258172KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO:a-fist: Attack - Telepath: Can use Psychic Blast and Incap.
:d-normal: Defense - Psychic Redirection: Can use Shape Change.
:g-starburst: Damage - Psychic Coordination: Can use Leadership and Perplex but cannot use Perplex to modify his own combat values

http://www.hcrealms.com/units/mu104.jpg
I’ve got my blankey, but I must…find…my…Teddy!

Getting past the blinding glare from their domes, let’s take a look at how Chuck makes out in comparison to the good Professor.

LE E Charles Xavier’s Gains vs. U Professor X
To open things up, Chuck acquires something no one ever thought possible: Running Shot. Granted, to use the power he can only move three spaces prior to making his attack, but it’s still a huge improvement over wheeling up, clearing, and then doing something meaningful on the following turn. Chuck also gets a trio of new special powers; “Telepath”, “Psychic Redirection”, and “Psychic Coordination” . “Telepath” grants him the use of the ever-popular Psychic Blast and the somewhat less exciting Incapacitate. The use of the often irritating Shape Change comes along with “Psychic Redirection”. And finally, “Psychic Coordination” lets Chuck use Leadership and a neutered version of Perplex that he can use on others, but not to boost his own values.

LE E Charles Xavier’s Losses vs. U Professor X
In order to pay for all of those special powers and that spiffy click of Running Shot, it’s Chuck’s hard luck to have to make several sacrifices. His punishing and rare 12 range dips down to a more common 10 range. Good, bad or indifferent, his Illuminati keyword vanishes, and Phasing, Willpower and Exploit Weakness are as absent as his hair. He no longer has a big 11 attack hidden under his blanket, nor does he have an 18 defense anywhere on his dial. The last of his reductions are comprised of one less click of Super Senses and three (3) damage.

Neutral Dial Tinkering
The LE has Super Senses upfront and Outwit in the back, but the inverse is true on U Professor X.

http://www.hcrealms.com/gallery/data/500/medium/lynda_carter_2.jpg
Lynda Carter has nothing to do with this review, but she’s much prettier than Patrick Stewart.

Cards That Work
On any mind controller, Mental Shields is a given. And since he only has one target as it is, he’s not really losing anything – except feedback damage. Coordination would also be an outstanding choice, enabling Chuck to work his mojo from behind a row of other X-Men, keeping him much more protected. Aside from the cardboard which isn’t really necessary for this figure, one modification is almost mandatory in order to make him playable. Chuck’s figure must be popped off the base and repositioned so that his dial can be read. For the best results, reposition Chuck so that he faces his name. Then most everything on his dial is readable. However, since this dude has Running Shot, you may want to re-glue him so that he’s doing a wheelie to help depict that he’s got a little something extra going on.

If ol_Dut had to Choose
LE E Charles Xavier vs. U Professor X? This one is really too close to call. The best answer I can give is, “It depends”. Now that may seem like a cop-out to some, but hang in there with me for a moment. If a true team leader is desired, It’s hard to overlook the Professor. He functions the way we’re used to seeing him function. Stay very far away, Mind Control, Outwit, Perplex, and rely on the X-Men TA to heal him up after a nasty dose of feedback damage. While he may have the mobility of a narcoleptic snail, that “Cerebro” power more than makes up for it by allowing him Perplex every Mutant, Psychic or X-Man he sees within 10 squares – himself included. Under no circumstance is the Professor going to be leading the charge, rather, after having his minions fire off the opening salvos, he’s going to inchworm ahead and either Mind Control or Incap what’s left. When and if he gets beat down, he switches to a decidedly more close combat role so that he can leverage all of that Exploit Weakness, but make no mistake about it, this guy’s meat and potatoes is using Cerebro first and Mind Controlling second.

Then we get to Wheels. His opening click of Running Shot paired with the use of Psychic Blast just screams for Chuck to be the guy who pops the opposition’s big gun first so that his teammates can get a few licks in once he’s softened him/her up a little. Super Senses should do a decent job of protecting him as he rolls into combat. Chuck wants to be a primary or secondary attacker, not the guy pulling the strings and giving the orders. And with his dial full of mostly nine (9) and 10 attack values, he should do pretty well in that capacity in a 300 point game. His damage-dealing capability continues unabated as some legitimate Psychic Blast appears once “Telepath” fades. Between that and his late-dial Outwit, he should be able to damage anyone in his sights at any point in his dial. The pseudo-Perplex is there to help him modify the values of a friend or foe to help land an attack, either lowering a opponent’s defense or raising a teammate’s attack or damage. In larger games, even the Leadership may be helpful.

All in all, there’s not a bad choice in the bunch and the decision will rest primarily either on the tendencies of the player or the needs of the team. For the more aggressive, Wheels is an excellent choice thanks to that novel click of Running Shot coupled with “Telepath” and the flow of the remaining powers on his dial. For those who would prefer the likes of Wolverine, Cyclops and Storm to be the ones to get their hands dirty, Professor X excels beyond all previous Professors as a “rear admiral” – boosting his X-Men with Cerebro and prudently Mind Controlling or Incapacitating from a great distance. When you feel like a nut, pick up Chuck. When you don’t, reach for the Professor (who conveniently enough works very well with a certain fleet of schoolgirls).

Quick and Dirty Price Tag
For those who didn’t win him, don’t despair. While he’s not as economical as a bottle of “Three Buck Chuck”, this particular Chuck tops out at $15. He’s still cheaper than pizza and is re-usable in ways pizza isn’t.

That’s all for this week. Thanks for reading!

jackstar7
02/22/2008, 11:14
Enjoyable article and I agree with the split decision.

HCannonFodder
02/22/2008, 11:16
I'd really like to see your comparison of these two versions with the "Ultimate" version of Professor X. I love the special powers on the 2 new versions, but three bolts at 12 range is JUST. NASTY.

Excellent review, however, and I agree - it's not a cop out, but it depends more on your playing style.

Also, Linda Carter IS more attractive than Patrick Stewart, but what's up with the paunch she's got in that photo? Too many six-packs while the invisible jet is on auto-pilot?

DoctorDoom
02/22/2008, 11:18
Nice review as usual.

Personally, I would pick the uncommon version nearly all the time. He dang near single-handedly won me a Planet Hulk dial.

When going up against an Apocalypse having 2 more range than that monster is very important methinks, and Cerebro is possibly my favorite special power yet. Never underestimate the ability to perplex an entire team on one turn...

zen007
02/22/2008, 11:20
Prof. X is better than the LE. The upfront mind control. The Physic Blast, higher damage value. Better defense white power. For 6 more points? No comparison in my book.
Running shot? EEWWWW! Giive me the ability to perplex my theme team and then mind control someone for the heck of it.
When I get my psize package in the LE Prof.X goes into a box labeled "Only Open In Case of Emergency".

The review was great though. They always are on this site.

SlayerOfAres
02/22/2008, 11:21
I like both figs alot!!! nothing like running shot on wheels!!

iameleveneight
02/22/2008, 11:22
Great article! Thanks!

darthfatty
02/22/2008, 11:26
It's a split for me, too, until I consider how freakin' good Nanobots is on the Prof. Sure, he can't get back to Cerebro once he's past it, but he can recover from an early push or feedback click to stay on the 11/17, or he can get back to his 3/Psyblast/Willpower middle clix quite easily, thanks to his high speed with Phasing at the end,. Then it's his choice to play the ranged game or go for close combat, and gives a lot of board/tempo control at the end of the game.

ol_Dut
02/22/2008, 11:28
Also, Linda Carter IS more attractive than Patrick Stewart, but what's up with the paunch she's got in that photo? Too many six-packs while the invisible jet is on auto-pilot?

Do not harsh on Wonder Woman! She's from a time when women could do something often referred to as "eating normally".

anonym0use
02/22/2008, 11:31
While I don't own either, I like the "Classic" version's end dial - with loads of mobility, high Def and the chance to miss attacks thanks to supersenses. EW is nice too. Combine that with the 12 range and higher AV and I'm sold on the non-move and shooter.

darthfatty
02/22/2008, 11:31

That 'paunch' is her hips, and possibly womb. Women have skeletons, as well as internal organs, despite what leading comic book artists would have us believe. When TV tries to make women (or men, for that matter) look like they do in comic books, the results are often bad. That gold belt is obviously too tight to look good, and it's WAY too tight to feel good. It looks like it's pushing her internal organs down into her pelvis. Notice she's not standing in that sexy superheroine cocked-hips pose? That's probably because her hips have been rendered immobile by that costume. No Spandex back when that show was made.

malakim2099
02/22/2008, 11:42
Good article, but one minor quibble.

If you don't use a theme team, Cerebro can work on anyone with the same keyword. It doesn't have to be one that the Prof has. Though it would obviously help if it were, for theme purposes. ;)

Personally, I'd go for Prof X 9/10 times, and I definitely would pick him over the FF Unique. 15 defense? Um, yeah, pass.

ol_Dut
02/22/2008, 11:47
Personally, I'd go for Prof X 9/10 times, and I definitely would pick him over the FF Unique. 15 defense? Um, yeah, pass.

Yeah, that 15 D is like a big "Kick Me!" sign, isn't it? I think they had to put Warlock in that set just so that there would be an X-Man who could Defend him and pump up that defense a bit. I like both of the new guys better than the FF Prof for just that reason.

Entertainer13
02/22/2008, 11:49
Prof. X is better than the LE. The upfront mind control. The Physic Blast, higher damage value. Better defense white power. For 6 more points? No comparison in my book.
Running shot? EEWWWW! Giive me the ability to perplex my theme team and then mind control someone for the heck of it.
When I get my psize package in the LE Prof.X goes into a box labeled "Only Open In Case of Emergency".

The review was great though. They always are on this site.
Tactically, I agree. My first class X-Men survived mainly because they had Chuck backing them up. However, the review hit it on the head. They are equally useful depending on what you're looking for. To be frank, if you're running an X-Men theme, they don't need another attacker. However, if you're filling out some other team and wand a relatively cheap and humorous attacker? I wouldn't hesitate to use LE Chuck.

I already put mine in the wheelie position, because as I said, his running shot should be named "WHEEEEE!"

Entertainer13
02/22/2008, 11:52
Yeah, that 15 D is like a big "Kick Me!" sign, isn't it? I think they had to put Warlock in that set just so that there would be an X-Man who could Defend him and pump up that defense a bit. I like both of the new guys better than the FF Prof for just that reason.
The only reason I've kept mine all this time is becuase I like to actualy RUN the Ultimate X-Men.

disciple1976
02/22/2008, 12:15
Thanks for the awesome review Dut!! :)

houdinimachine
02/22/2008, 13:18

Are you kidding me? When I saw that picture, all I could think was, "This woman is malnourished." Look at that belt! A woman's waist should not be that skinny. It's like she's got a corset of doom on.

CheeseWiz
02/22/2008, 14:00
Did you see Linda Carter on Smallville last year? She's still got it! Grrr, Baby!

I was just thinking that I missed the review for Chucky, but here it is, and an enjoyable one at that. I loved how you were able to fit in the phrase 'up Chuck' for some strange, juvenile reason. Thanks!

malakim2099
02/22/2008, 14:15
Did you see Linda Carter on Smallville last year? She's still got it! Grrr, Baby!

There's a reason Sky High is still on my DVR. ;)

tom730
02/22/2008, 15:17

I was just thinking that I missed the review for Chucky, but here it is, and an enjoyable one at that. I loved how you were able to fit in the phrase 'up Chuck' for some strange, juvenile reason. Thanks!

I've always thought Linda Carter was hot!
A friend of mine owns a recording studio and she doe svoice over work there occasionaly.
He says she is INCREDIBLY nice and a very down-to-earth, friendly person.
Not like a lot of celebrities he's worked with.
To me that's even more important:grin:

02/22/2008, 15:19
Oh God, thank you for Linda Carter...

da-Craig-O
02/22/2008, 16:05
"Tops out at $15..."

Ebay brought me $23 for mine less than a week ago. Has he gone down already??

cattmoe
02/22/2008, 16:06

yeah, but what about Utimate Prof with E Shadowcat for the Defend? (Especially if she's a flier now... is she? She has teh flight symbol....) Throw a protected in there and he can be just a beast.

webhead76
02/22/2008, 18:21
Good review Dut, I got Prof. X in pull a few weeks back, and I can't wait to try him out sometime. Although the Charles Xavier looks alright, I'd probably pick the Prof. over him. I especially like the Cerebro power on his dial, very nice!

Phoenix_Icewing
02/22/2008, 19:16
great revue Dut, and as someone with both, a built in brilliant tactician slightly outweighs the RS/PB, and youre absolutely right, it all depends...

as for my 2 cents on the F4 unique,,,, are people forgetting 2 things? Mastermind ( which is JUST AS outwittable as defend on warlock), and..

what are you doing that gets xavier shot at anyways? 12:bolt::bolt::bolt: means he shouldnt be up getting shot unless your opponent comes right for him, and isnt in range of outwit. which, of course, happens a lot, haha.:cool: he is every bit as usable, and his Ult. X-men team makes his attacks even easier, when you want it to be.

and for fans of the ultimate x-men, think about swapping out the F4 xavier, for Professor Xavier from MaM set. omni-perplex brings a lot to the table that 3 targets on one character cant do alone.

and in the end, theyre all great figures. lets go out and get psychic on someone's clix!

tidge
02/22/2008, 19:32
Thank you for the review!

I really wish I had the LE Charles X, but I think I would pick Professor X every time. I prefer the very pushable dial (including MC Feedback damage) coupled with an X-men TA.

The Prof strikes me as a versatile team player throughout his dial, whereas the LE looks like a typcial top-heavy ranged attacker that needs to stay on that first click.

BootOfTesla
02/22/2008, 22:56
As always, a great review/comparison. I'm in the Proffesor X camp, too. I think your observations are on target about how the figures play, but just I don't feel like "I got a Hoveround and got my life back" Chuck quite fills out his points as well as the classic Mr. Clean.

(Especially if she's a flier now... is she? She has teh flight symbol....)Several figures had errata removed along with the soaring rules, but Shadowcat wasn't among them. She still has to hoof it. :cross-eye

As to the various comments concerning LC, puberty would have been very different for me without her and that magic lasso... :eek:

BoT

Iago
02/23/2008, 00:04
I wish Charles X's running shot had been given the flavor rename "Rolling Shot"...

charlesdward
02/23/2008, 04:08
I wish Charles X's running shot had been given the flavor rename "Rolling Shot"...
I would have voted for "Pointed Downhill".
But then, I also vote for a Linda Carter picture in every review henceforth... :p

USAgent
02/24/2008, 05:22
I was wondering if anyone else had the same thoughts I did about the Charles LE. With all the First Class X-men, I think the LE is supposed to represent that version of him. Not sure if anyone mentioned this or maybe I am stating the obvious. Just seems like it to me.

tidge
02/24/2008, 10:42
I was wondering if anyone else had the same thoughts I did about the Charles LE. With all the First Class X-men, I think the LE is supposed to represent that version of him. Not sure if anyone mentioned this or maybe I am stating the obvious. Just seems like it to me.

I'm somewhat confused as to which Xavier this is supposed to represent...your guess is a fine one, except that his points don't really work, even if you try to work in a version of Angel (to bring them to 400 points).

The more I look at the dial for the LE, the less I like its themey potential, especially considering the no Mind Control on click 1. The Uncommon is practically the only 100+point Xmen TA figure that I think really can pull it's own weight (and makes any theme team that much stronger).