The Trophy Room Crisis - By The Numbers! [Archive] - HeroClix Realms

PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy Room Crisis - By The Numbers!

ol_Dut
03/07/2008, 13:20
Crisis by the Numbers
By Justin Dekker

http://www.hcrealms.com/gallery/data/500/114909164893695700.jpg

You’ve studied the Crisis Previews and Primers. You’ve seen what everyone pulled when they opened their packs, bricks and cases. You’ve read the numerous complaints and even the all to scant praise. You know which figures dominate and which figures miss the mark. Now come on in here for a completely different look at the DC HeroClix Crisis set. Click on “Read More” to continue!

ol_Dut
03/07/2008, 13:28
The point values, dials, and character cards only tell half of the story. Now, here are a pile of numbers that tell the rest.

5000 – Mail your box bottoms in ASAP people, because this is the limited number of “Buy it by the Brick” World’s Finest figures available, and when they’re gone they’re gone. Actually, there’s probably no need to panic. 5000 of them is probably more than enough to cover the typical demand for these mail away figures.

500 – Number of points of the highest point figure in the set (World’s Finest). How do these figures get that much better and powerful just by standing really close together? Whatever the secret is, they need to share it with Hawk and Dove ASAP.

317 – Number of points of the highest point figure to ever come out of a booster pack (Earth-2 Superman). Too bad (or lucky) he can’t be played in many of the upcoming Crisis events.

250 – The highest amount in dollars paid for a single figure from this set (a “Buy it Now” for KC Superman). Someone please pm thugit and let him know he’s been way, way outdone. Shamelessly outdone, even. Unless of course it was thugit who shelled out the $250, in which case he already knows what he’s done. Regardless, although “2-fiddy” doesn’t have quite the same magical ring that “C-note” had, what ya gonna do? 2-fiddy is the new and undisputed king! All hail 2-fiddy! (The cries from those suffering buyer’s remorse will start tomorrow, just you wait.)

240 – The length in words of the longest Special Power possessed by a figure in Crisis. The holder of this dubious distinction? Jericho and his “Possession” power. After a couple of readings, your head will spin around and you’ll spray pea soup like some Satanic sprinkler in the midst of a month-long drought in Hell. Expect to see this used about as much as CJ’s Brother Blood. Cue more explosive vomiting. Duck and cover! Duck and cover!

100 – Including the World’s Finest, the total number of Special Powers in Crisis. Everyone keeps talking about “2.0, man! It’s Clix 2.0!”, I submit to you that this is not in fact the case. With the ever expanding proliferation of special powers, some that even enable figures to ignore, circumvent or totally break long-standing core rules of the game, we’re way beyond 2.0, folks. I could still see my house from 2.0. We’re way the heck out there in 4.0 land by now. 2.0 lived next door to Crimson Skies. 4.0 has a nice and cozy little beach-front Cape Cod next to Star Wars Minis. Is that a wizard out there on the coast that I see?

63 – Number of known figures in the set including the World’s Finest, Earth-2 Superman and KC Superman. I’m not counting the tourney LEs or the Boy Wonder just yet because we’ve haven’t seen dials or cards. Who knows what kind of crazy will be packed in those other guys. One can only look at Kid Flash and let the wild and crazy dreams begin!

45 – Point value of the most ridiculously powerful figure for its point cost to date – Kid Flash. He’s Hypersonic! He ignores Hindering, Blocking, Water, figures, and everything! He’s got three special powers! He’s got an 18 defense! He does two (2) damage! Brace for the all Kid Flash + Armor Piercing teams! Where’s the point formula? Some have reported seeing it vacationing in the south of France with Bigfoot, Nessie, the Yeti and a real live hot nymphomaniac cheerleader/gymnast who totally loves D&D, Cheetos, Dew, comics and guys who live in their moms’ basements that they’ve tricked out to look like the bridge from the Enterprise. Beam me up!

36 – It’s the number of characters making their debut appearance in Crisis. Among them we have the long-awaited Uncle Sam and the fan faves Metal Men. The bad guys got their due as well with the addition of Trigon, Alexander Luthor, The Royal Flush Gang, and Dr. Sivana. The complete list is: Aqualad, Shimmer, Jericho, Mercury, Gold, Liberty Belle, Klarion, Supernova, Iron, Ace, Red Hood, Batwoman, Dr. Sivana, Rip Hunter, Dawnstar, Karate Kid, jack and 10, Trickster and Pied Pier, Mammoth, Psimon, Lead and Tin, Uncle Sam, Chief, Harbinger, Forerunner, Monarch, Accomplished Perfect Physician, Trigon, Star Sapphire, Tempest, Will Magnus and Platinum, Captain Marvel, Jr., King and Queen, Psycho Pirate, Alexander Luthor, and Monitor.

28 – The length in letters of the longest name in this set, or any other, to be spelled out on a dial. It belongs to none other than the Accomplished Perfect Physician. Check out that tiny font they had to use to get it all on the dial top! This is a super-being that is just destined to die, because by the time his buddy would shout, “Look out, Accomplished Perfect Physician!”, he’d already be dead. Maybe he should have just called himself “Doc”.

24 – Pack a rabbit’s foot, do a little dance, rub a bald guy’s head; whatever you need to do for luck just do it, because “24” is the number of figures that have an 18 defense on at least one click. The honor roll includes: Kid Flash, Liberty Belle, Iron, Rip Hunter, Green Lantern, Deathstroke, Mammoth, Hawk and Dove, Lead and Tin, Kyle Rayner, Wonder Girl (#038), Mordru, Trigon, Darkseid, Will Magnus and Platinum, Psycho Pirate, Black Adam, Sinestro, Supergirl, The Flash, The Spectre, World’s Finest, Earth-2 Superman, and 2-fiddy (KC Supes).

12 – Figures that do not have Special Powers. When Uncle Sam says, “Give me your tired, your poor”, these are the pathetic buggers to whom he is referring: Mercury, Robin (#013), Iron, Ace, Red Hood, Batwoman, Karate Kid, Accomplished Perfect Physician, Star Sapphire, King and Queen, Nightwing and Starfire, and Captain Marvel, Jr. Couldn’t they each have just gotten one so that they could join the club? When there are already 100 known special powers in the set, how could 112 be too many? Figures with Special Powers are now the norm (4.0). Those without are sub-standard and blah.

9 – Figures with three Special Powers: Kid Flash, Dr. Sivana, Nightwing, The Chief, Darkseid, Will Magnus and Platinum, Earth-2 Superman, and KC Superman.

8 – Figures that have a Special or standard power on every single space on their dial. Remember how we used to only get about one of these kinds of figures in about every other set? Now, bang! Here are eight at once (4.0). They are, for the record: Robin (#013), Deathstroke, Nightwing, Accomplished Perfect Physician, Trigon, Black Adam, Sinestro, and Monitor.

8 – Highest number of duo figures in a set to date – that’s what we’ve got here in Crisis. For those who may not have been keeping track, they are: Jack and Ten, Trickster and Pied Piper, Lead and Tin, King and Queen, Will Magnus and Platinum, Hawk and Dove, Nightwing and Starfire, and World’s Finest. It’s also interesting to note that both the Metal Men and Royal Flush Gang each have a pair of duo figures. Whether that is to their benefit or detriment remains to be seen, but it is rather safe to say that without the glut of duo figures, I doubt that both of these teams would have been fleshed out in just one set. On a side note, I could no longer stand to see Hawk and Dove carrying on with their “Forbidden Dance”. I had to grab my trusty Swiss Army knife and perform and emergency buttectomy. Luckily I had a spare Hawk and Dove figure so I cut Hawk off of one and Dove off of the other, and now this duo is flying solo instead of being conjoined at a really awkward spot.

7 – In sharp contrast to the number of 18 defenses, this is the anemic number of figures that have or can use Probability Control: Klarion, Trigon, Rip Hunter, Harbinger, Monarch, The Flash, and Monitor.

5 – The number of Superman Chase figures from a “highly credible source” a few short weeks prior to the set’s release. People everywhere panic and have a pile of kittens about such a possibility. Luckily for all of us, it was a hoax. Where is that guy and his "source" now?

5 – The number of figures in this set that are or were Robin. They are: Robin (#001), Robin (#013), Red Hood, Nightwing, and Nightwing and Starfire. This number jumps to seven (7) if you include the tournament LE and the Boy Wonder figure. That’s an awful lot of representation of for one little weenie in one set. Couldn’t we have swapped just one of those out for a Superboy Prime? Red Hood would have been a great sacrifice to that end.

5 – The number of figures that have or can use Support (Uncle Sam, Accomplished Perfect Physician, Dr. Sivanna, Monitor and The Chief). Another sign of the changing times.

4.5 – Instead of the new and dynamic looking sculpts for fliers that would enable WizKids to do things with them that we never thought possible, only this small number of them actually lived up to the hype surrounding the disposal of the old flight stands. Who are the fliers that actually look they’re flying? It’s just Mary marvel, Black Adam, Jack and Ten, Kyle Rayner, and the Starfire half of the Nightwing and Starfire duo figure. Everybody else? Look out! People may well forget that Wonder Girl and many others are actually fliers because of their decided “grounded” poses!

4 – The most Special Powers possessed by a figure in the set (tie; Sinestro and Green Arrow).

4 – Is the number of giant figures in Crisis. They are Iron, Ace, Trigon and The Spectre. It is regrettable, however, that only two of the giants are really giant-sized. Be careful, as people are certain to miss the fact that the puny Iron and Ace are giants, too. That mistake could be pretty game-changing so beware!

2 – The actual number of Superman Chase figures. Collectors everywhere breathe a sigh of relief. I'm still not a big fan of having chase figures, but going after two of them is much better than going after four.

1 – Only one figure, Rip Hunter, starts with Probability Control. All of those 18 Defenses just got even better.

0 – This number comes up more than it should from all the people yelling, “Where’s my ____ figure?!”, but it represents most notably the number of Superboy Prime figures in this set. And considering how heavily he factors into more than one of the crises encapsulated in this set, he’s the single largest and most glaring omission of any HeroClix set ever. Many other figures, like Power Girl and Wonder Woman (Now with neck-snapping action!) would have been great, but no single figure was more thematically critical for a crisis set than Superboy Prime. Alas, Superboy Prime, we never knew ya!

That’s all for this week. Thanks for reading!

Ihsan
03/07/2008, 13:38
Awesome article!

hair10
03/07/2008, 13:39
100 – Including the World’s Finest, the total number of Special Powers in Crisis. Everyone keeps talking about “2.0, man! It’s Clix 2.0!”, I submit to you that this is not in fact the case. With the ever expanding proliferation of special powers, some that even enable figures to ignore, circumvent or totally break long-standing core rules of the game, we’re way beyond 2.0, folks. I could still see my house from 2.0. We’re way the heck out there in 4.0 land by now. 2.0 lived next door to Crimson Skies. 4.0 has a nice and cozy little beach-front Cape Cod next to Star Wars Minis. Is that a wizard out there on the coast that I see?
Rep for this section alone! :laugh:

45 – Point value of the most ridiculously powerful figure for its point cost to date – Kid Flash. He’s Hypersonic! He ignores Hindering, Blocking, Water, figures, and everything!
I don't think he ingores water. ;)

12 – Figures that do not have Special Powers.
A very sad number, IMO. :(

9 – Figures with three Special Powers: Kid Flash, Dr. Sivana, Nightwing, The Chief, Darkseid, Will Magnus and Platinum, Earth-2 Superman, and KC Superman.

8 – Figures that have a Special or standard power on every single space on their dial. Remember how we used to only get about one of these kinds of figures in about every other set? Now, bang! Here are eight at once (4.0). They are, for the record: Robin (#013), Deathstroke, Nightwing, Accomplished Perfect Physician, Trigon, Black Adam, Sinestro, and Monitor.
Two other sad numbers. :cry:

0 – This number comes up more than it should from all the people yelling, “Where’s my ____ figure?!”, but it represents most notably the number of Superboy Prime figures in this set. And considering how heavily he factors into more than one of the crises encapsulated in this set,[/b] he’s the single largest and most glaring omission of any HeroClix set ever. [/b]
Yep, even moreso than the missing monsters in Mutations & Monsters. :rolleyes:

Great post!

Space Jawa
03/07/2008, 13:40
And considering how heavily he factors into more than one of the crises encapsulated in this set, he’s the single largest and most glaring omission of any HeroClix set ever....but no single figure was more thematically critical for a crisis set than Superboy Prime.

Ah, but you see, he's behind the scenes causing this particular crisis, and is therefore too busy to be bothered standing around and fighting for himself. He's content to let everyone else do the fighting for him.

DoctorDoom
03/07/2008, 13:42
0 – This number comes up more than it should from all the people yelling, “Where’s my ____ figure?!”, but it represents most notably the number of Superboy Prime figures in this set. And considering how heavily he factors into more than one of the crises encapsulated in this set, he’s the single largest and most glaring omission of any HeroClix set ever. Many other figures, like Power Girl and Wonder Woman (Now with neck-snapping action!) would have been great, but no single figure was more thematically critical for a crisis set than Superboy Prime. Alas, Superboy Prime, we never knew ya!

Goodness yes. I don't even like Superboy[man] Prime, but I honestly expected him to make an appearance in a set named Crisis. Either there were legal issues with DC or WK really dropped the ball on that one. :confused:

Great review!

eshuroger
03/07/2008, 14:01
Nice! I know I snuck that Iron into play in the sealed game, with my opponent not realizing he was a giant, until I was already attacking his stealthed Green Arrow from two spaces away. Makes me want to point that out to people from now on: "You realize this little guy with the hammer here's a giant, right? Are we cool?"

TheLord
03/07/2008, 14:01

Well done article... very well done!

I'm also still searching for my Pariah :noid:

malakim2099
03/07/2008, 14:13
I don't think he ingores water. ;)

Actually, he would. Water is hindering for movement, remember? ;)

And regarding Kid Flash's point formula? Well, Force Blast (which he gets in the bottom half) is cheap. His attack values aren't that great, he has a shallow dial, Teen Titans isn't an expensive TA (I think), he has no range, and he has no defensive powers IIRC. At least, none frontloaded.

And come June? BAIBAI Armor Piercing! :p

Sigdr
03/07/2008, 14:13

You should go search in the upcoming Anti-Monitor pack.

AngrySalad
03/07/2008, 14:15
Originally Posted by Hair 10:
45 – Point value of the most ridiculously powerful figure for its point cost to date – Kid Flash. He’s Hypersonic! He ignores Hindering, Blocking, Water, figures, and everything!

I don't think he ingores water.

But, since water is hindering terrain for the purposes of movement, wouldn't he ignore it when moving?

Also, I heard SuperBoy Prime was in the set.... but then he punched a wall and changed history.....

elfholme
03/07/2008, 14:15
Very nice read, thanks!

Cam-El
03/07/2008, 14:19
Grewat breakdown of the set. Your spot on about the "they might be giants" first game with Ace and Lead everyone was forgetting, also with Supernova and his "I'm a flier but check out my pose " he was forgotten aswell

blackprince
03/07/2008, 14:19
You should go search in the upcoming Anti-Monitor pack.

I think the Pariah in the Anti-Monitor pack is on an event dial, though. There still won't be an actual Pariah figure for use on a team.:disappoin

Also, I think Dawnstar looks like she is launching into flight, although I suppose it could be the beginning of a pounce.

Valentyne
03/07/2008, 14:21
I expected Superboy Prime to be a chase figure. Now that E-2 and KC Supes have been confirmed as the "chase" figures, my guess is that he couldn't properly be outfitted on an 11 click dial. Still, he was one of the most widely anticipted figures, so it boggles my mind how WizKids could simply pass on SBP? My vote goes to the dropping of the proverbial ball.

Sigdr
03/07/2008, 14:28
I think the Pariah in the Anti-Monitor pack is on an event dial, though. There still won't be an actual Pariah figure for use on a team.:disappoin

This is true, but he didn't really do a whole lot in combat anyway...

hair10
03/07/2008, 14:30
But, since water is hindering terrain for the purposes of movement, wouldn't he ignore it when moving?

But now that water is it's own terrain type it really would need to be listed seperately. His power states...

When Kid Flash moves, he ignores the effects of characters, hindering terrain, elevated terrain, and blocking terrain on movement.

sagadvice
03/07/2008, 14:31
Anyone watched that film "requiem for a dream" As a joke whenever someone got a Hawk and Dove", one of my local players would make the "@$$ to @$$" reference from it.

Tylk
03/07/2008, 14:32
And regarding Kid Flash's point formula? Well, Force Blast (which he gets in the bottom half) is cheap. His attack values aren't that great, he has a shallow dial, Teen Titans isn't an expensive TA (I think), he has no range, and he has no defensive powers IIRC. At least, none frontloaded.

You are never allowed to work for Wizkids designing figures.

Your arguements almost make him suck....

doczoom
03/07/2008, 14:33
3 – The number of figures that have or can use Support (Uncle Sam, Accomplished Perfect Physician and The Chief). Another sign of the changing times.

U forgot the Madman that he is, Dr. Sivana...of course, who would ever go to him when they needed medical attention?

Entertainer13
03/07/2008, 14:35
Nice write up. Really enjoyed it.

I have to agree with you on the version 4.0 thing. I just insist that we aren't in XP land... Or something.

Entertainer13
03/07/2008, 14:36
3 – The number of figures that have or can use Support (Uncle Sam, Accomplished Perfect Physician and The Chief). Another sign of the changing times.

U forgot the Madman that he is, Dr. Sivana...of course, who would ever go to him when they needed medical attention?
My very desperate Mr. Mind. :cry:

j-pop
03/07/2008, 14:38
4 – Is the number of giant figures in Crisis. They are Iron, Ace, Trigon and The Spectre. It is regrettable, however, that only two of the giants are really giant-sized. Be careful, as people are certain to miss the fact that the puny Iron and Ace are giants, too. That mistake could be pretty game-changing so beware!

Very nice work, enjoyed the write up.

I would say that Ace is pretty big. Iron though, WAAYYY too small for a Giant!

theanalogkid
03/07/2008, 14:41
Great article.

anonym0use
03/07/2008, 14:41
Love it: I should note: Sivana has Support available to him too!

Ultim8 Avenger
03/07/2008, 14:45
we will eventually run out of marvel/dc superheroes...then what?? reissues?? ugh....

mr_moneypenny
03/07/2008, 15:00
Awesome read, as always, Dut! The thinking man's funny article writer. I love it.
:)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ol_Dut again.

Ghost_Rider
03/07/2008, 15:07
Kid Flash is WAY overrated. My Green Arrow knocked out a fresh one with his first shot of the game. Granted, I had a critical and perplex, but it was still funny.

malakim2099
03/07/2008, 15:07
You are never allowed to work for Wizkids designing figures.

Your arguements almost make him suck....

Heh, just saying, there's a reason he's only 45. ;)

He's not undercosted by any means. Of course, I don't think the new KC Superman is undercosted either.

michiganj24
03/07/2008, 15:09
What is this Boy Wonder figure that i have not heard about. I knew of the tourney LE but what is Boy Wonder

malakim2099
03/07/2008, 15:10
But now that water is it's own terrain type it really would need to be listed seperately. His power states...

Actually, it really doesn't. We already had a clarification about this when LOSH rules came out, regarding Ultimate Quicksilver using Ultimates to run over water, etc. Since water is treated as hindering terrain for movement purposes, Kid Flash, Ultimate Quicky*, and the like can zip along water terrain no problem.

* That's what Wanda said, anyway! :p

First Lensman
03/07/2008, 15:12

Is Pariah is going to be in the Anti-Monitor action pack?

AND, I AM hoping that Young Superman Prime is going to be in this action pack too!

jackstar7
03/07/2008, 15:23

Also, the Monitor can use it for quite a while.

52!

hair10
03/07/2008, 15:37
Kid Flash is WAY overrated. My Green Arrow knocked out a fresh one with his first shot of the game.
Yeah, my Darksied handled him pretty easily too. :laugh:

hair10
03/07/2008, 15:39
Actually, it really doesn't. We already had a clarification about this when LOSH rules came out, regarding Ultimate Quicksilver using Ultimates to run over water, etc. Since water is treated as hindering terrain for movement purposes, Kid Flash, Ultimate Quicky*, and the like can zip along water terrain no problem.

Mind pointing me to that? Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't seen it.

And if that's the case, the reclassification of water to it's own terrain type seems a bit silly.

Ouchmaker
03/07/2008, 15:46
Nice list, you just forgot one 8 from the list:

8. The number of powers Dr Sivana can use in a single special power. Those powers are: Barrier, Energy Explosion, Phasing/Teleport, Psychic Blast, Pulse Wave, Quake, Smoke Cloud, and Support.

hair10
03/07/2008, 15:52
What about...

1 The number of sealed events with Crisis.

Woo Hoo!

Norym
03/07/2008, 15:58
I expected Superboy Prime to be a chase figure. Now that E-2 and KC Supes have been confirmed as the "chase" figures, my guess is that he couldn't properly be outfitted on an 11 click dial. Still, he was one of the most widely anticipted figures, so it boggles my mind how WizKids could simply pass on SBP? My vote goes to the dropping of the proverbial ball.

The omission of Stupidboy-Prime is probably not WK fault. Warner Brothers (DC Comics) is still in court over the rights to Superman and Superboy with the families of the creators.

I know for a fact that WK would have been unable to use the Superboy name. Connor and SBP have neither one been called Superboy in quite sometime. Superboy Prime even was called Superman - Prime during the Sinestro War and Countdown.

So the blame falls elsewhere.

Mr. Pilkington
03/07/2008, 16:05
8 – Highest number of duo figures in a set to date – that’s what we’ve got here in Crisis. For those who may not have been keeping track, they are: Jack and Ten, Trickster and Pied Piper, Lead and Tin, King and Queen, Will Magnus and Platinum, Hawk and Dove, and World’s Finest.

Isn't that only 7 you listed?

1) Jack & Ten
2) Trickster & Pied Piper
3) Lead & Tin
4) King & Queen
5) Will Magnus & Platnum
6) Hawk & Dove
7) World's Finest

So you failed to mention:

8) Nightwing & Starfire

Man, Dut, you can't remember Dick. ;)

Please note: Mr. Pilkington has the utmost respect for ol_Dut and is simply dicking around.

Additional note: Mr. Pilkington has been sacked for repeated use of the same off-color pun in one post.

raphael76
03/07/2008, 16:11
The omission of Stupidboy-Prime is probably not WK fault. Warner Brothers (DC Comics) is still in court over the rights to Superman and Superboy with the families of the creators.

I know for a fact that WK would have been unable to use the Superboy name. Connor and SBP have neither one been called Superboy in quite sometime. Superboy Prime even was called Superman - Prime during the Sinestro War and Countdown.

So the blame falls elsewhere

I think you are probably right on here. The continuing legal battle over superboy, in any incarnation, has created quite a challenge for dealing with the character. My guess is, since the heroclix sets are pre-determined well in advance, that they hadn't at that point worked out how to include a character named superboy.

This does make me wonder if the mysterious all black figure seen on the preview poster and in some screen shots of the anti-monitor set, might not be the renamed Superman Prime in his Sinestro Corps gear.

Glen Quagmire
03/07/2008, 16:16
The change of the character's name to Superman Prime probably would have allowed WK to use him in Crisis. However, DC may have approved WK's character list before the change was made. So I'll look for him in Rogues Gallery.

Shield001
03/07/2008, 16:28
what about figures without keywords?

I think supernova is the only one to get 0 this time around but i could be wrong.

malakim2099
03/07/2008, 16:32
Mind pointing me to that? Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't seen it.

And if that's the case, the reclassification of water to it's own terrain type seems a bit silly.

Squares inside the boundary of a blue line are water terrain, such as streams, ponds, and other liquids. Water terrain is hindering terrain for movement purposes and clear terrain for line of fire purposes. Characters with the :m-dolphin: or :m-dolphin-trans: symbol on their bases treat water terrain as clear terrain for movement purposes.

As far as the actual ruling goes, I believe Norm posted it on the WK board somewhere. Where, exactly, evades me at the moment.

Haroudo Xavier
03/07/2008, 17:19
Great post!!!

Besides S-P, I was really hoping to see Lady Quark... :(

Mon_ami
03/07/2008, 17:24
That was Awesome. Great read Dut, thanks.

batfink
03/07/2008, 17:28
Uncle Sam becomes a Giant.

Sigdr
03/07/2008, 17:36
what about figures without keywords?

I think supernova is the only one to get 0 this time around but i could be wrong.

Also Monitor and Star Sapphire.

Reggie Pants
03/07/2008, 17:47
Very nice and interesting read. Some really good numbers in the set.... and some really bad ones.

brevard321
03/07/2008, 18:00
Nice article ol-dut, but I must protest the proposed swap of Superboy-Prime for the Red Hood! :)

Now if you said we could add Superboy-Prime and maybe have left out Mordru, Tempest, Klarion, Supernova, Shimmer, Mammoth, Hawk/Dove, Nightwing/Starfire, Blue Beetle, Deathstroke, Batgirl, Kyle Rayner, Green Lantern, Darkseid, Supergirl, Sinsestro, or even Black Adam, then we'd be talking!

Jason Todd needed to be done in some version, and luckily, the Boy Wonder LE will get both important versions done at once. Now we just need a Red Robin version and then no one will ever have to complain about the inclusion of Jason Todd again. :)

What would bother me the most is the fact that people feel there should be remakes of some "important" characters done before they even manage to make some characters for the first time! I guess Deathstroke is important in the DC universe, but is he so important that he needs to be remade before Jason Todd was ever made once, no way. The same can be said for Blue Beetle, Mordru, Batgirl, and all the other "remakes" in the set. :)

Sigdr
03/07/2008, 18:07
Nice article ol-dut, but I must protest the proposed swap of Superboy-Prime for the Red Hood! :)

Now if you said we could add Superboy-Prime and maybe have left out Mordru, Tempest, Klarion, Supernova, Shimmer, Mammoth, Hawk/Dove, Nightwing/Starfire, Blue Beetle, Deathstroke, Batgirl, Kyle Rayner, Green Lantern, Darkseid, Supergirl, Sinsestro, or even Black Adam, then we'd be talking!

Jason Todd needed to be done in some version, and luckily, the Boy Wonder LE will get both important versions done at once. Now we just need a Red Robin version and then no one will ever have to complain about the inclusion of Jason Todd again. :)

What would bother me the most is the fact that people feel there should be remakes of some "important" characters done before they even manage to make some characters for the first time! I guess Deathstroke is important in the DC universe, but is he so important that he needs to be remade before Jason Todd was ever made once, no way. The same can be said for Blue Beetle, Mordru, Batgirl, and all the other "remakes" in the set. :)

All I'm getting out of this is "brevard hates cool characters". Mordru, Tempest, Klarion and Supernova rule the roost. :grin:

...and yes, if there's a character I like (i.e. Blue Beetle) that wasn't done justice at all with the previous incarnation, I would like it to be remade before we get a never-before-released character that I don't like (i.e. Jason Todd Red Hood).

Oh well. We got them both, and I can put Red Hood on my Batman Enemies teams.

Ironman1994
03/07/2008, 18:08
My instincts tell me that Superboy Prime is either a con exclusive

OR...
He's included in the Sinestro Corps. Anti-Monitor package.

brevard321
03/07/2008, 18:43
sigdr, I don't hate the cool characters, but Mordru, Tempest, Klarion, and Supernova don't fit the bill for cool characters in my opinion! :)

No, I do understand that Blue Beetle, Deathstroke, Green Arrow, and others needed remakes, but I don't think we need them before some characters that have never been made. Luckily we did get the remakes plus the Red Hood, or I would have been fuming. Heck, I was fuming when Red Hood, or a Jason Robin, wasn't included in the Justice League expansion!

And as you said, it's a very subjective thing. You said you would rather see a remake than the first verision of a character that you don't like. I'd rather see the first version of a character that I love (Jason Todd, Barry Allen), than a remake of a character I hate (such as Deathstroke, Deadshot, Mirror Master, Lobo, etc.)

As far as Crisis goes, personally, I hate Deathstoke. I'm luke-warm on Cassandra Batgirl, Darkseid, and Sinestro. I don't much care about the Metal Men. I like the Royal Flush Gang, Green Arrow, Black Adam, Alex Luthor, and Psycho Pirate. I love Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, Supergirl, Jason Todd, Dick Grayson, Ted Kord, Harbinger, and some others. It's all VERY subjective. And remakes vs. 1st-time characters will always be a huge source of controversy for this great game! :)

uss_Titans
03/07/2008, 20:01

Not only that but KC Supes was really never in the Crisis as a major character. I would have prefer Wizkids to use the same figure but with a little modification and change it into Superman-Prime chase figure. Now that would have cause for the chase piece to go up to $300.00 a piece in Ebay. E-2 Superman and Superman-Prime would have been a better choice for the Chase.:laugh:

Sigdr
03/07/2008, 20:29
As far as Crisis goes, personally, I hate Deathstoke.

I am so glad to see that I'm not the only one.

brevard321
03/07/2008, 21:56
See, I hate him so much I even spelled his name wrong! Darn that Deathstroke! :)

I have been thinking about it for a while, I just seem to really hate a lot of the DC villians now. And it's not just because they are the bad guys obviously, it's just the way they are characterized I guess.

Don't even get me started on the Joker... :)

fillonius
03/07/2008, 22:50
As far as the actual ruling goes, I believe Norm posted it on the WK board somewhere. Where, exactly, evades me at the moment.

Ah, now I see it... hadn't occurred to me to search on Quicksilver. I had the same question, I ruled the opposite way when this came up :surprised

Though I agree that it seems awfully wordy to separate water terrain in the rules if this is how it works...

http://forum.wizkidsgames.com/showthread.php?t=164805&highlight=quicksilver+water

Citizen Kabuto
03/07/2008, 22:51
Great read, thank you!

Add Dr. Sivana to the list. :)

mell
03/07/2008, 23:16
10-14 possible clixs of damage by a single fig (kc sup) most of any reg size fig.

GroovyBoy
03/08/2008, 00:28
63 – Number of known figures in the set including the World’s Finest, Earth-2 Superman and KC Superman. I’m not counting the tourney LEs or the Boy Wonder just yet because we’ve haven’t seen dials or cards. Who knows what kind of crazy will be packed in those other guys. One can only look at Kid Flash and let the wild and crazy dreams begin!

!

We raffled off a paint master of the Roy Harper LE last week at Clix for the Cure. It had a card and a dial and everything...

GroovyBoy
03/08/2008, 00:37
By the way, the tournament Robin LE and the Boy Wonder LE are the same figure...

Uknown352
03/08/2008, 02:13

No Sivana?

EmeraldCityMark
03/08/2008, 02:54
7 – In sharp contrast to the number of 18 defenses, this is the anemic number of figures that have or can use Probability Control: Klarion, Trigon, Rip Hunter, Harbinger, Monarch, The Flash, and Monitor.

Add Alexander Luthor as being able to use prob control.

Awesome article. Perhaps the most entertaining I've ever read here. :laugh:

T'Chaka
03/08/2008, 05:06
The point values, dials, and character cards only tell half of the story. Now, here are a pile of numbers that tell the rest.

5000 – Mail your box bottoms in ASAP people, because this is the limited number of “Buy it by the Brick” World’s Finest figures available, and when they’re gone they’re gone. Actually, there’s probably no need to panic. 5000 of them [...] like Power Girl and Wonder Woman (Now with neck-snapping action!) would have been great, but no single figure was more thematically critical for a crisis set than Superboy Prime. Alas, Superboy Prime, we never knew ya!

Top notch.

hulkclixer
03/08/2008, 07:39
This was a great post on this set as there were indeed a lot of numbers in this set!!

tchipley
03/08/2008, 12:18
Loved the article. If they want to do right they would go ahead and print a run of Primes* and have them as participation prizes for the week 11 events.

All would be forgiven.

* Power Girl and Lady Quark would hurt either. I'm not greedy give me prime!

ol_Dut
03/08/2008, 14:32
Isn't that only 7 you listed?

1) Jack & Ten
2) Trickster & Pied Piper
3) Lead & Tin
4) King & Queen
5) Will Magnus & Platnum
6) Hawk & Dove
7) World's Finest

So you failed to mention:

8) Nightwing & Starfire

Man, Dut, you can't remember Dick. ;)

Please note: Mr. Pilkington has the utmost respect for ol_Dut and is simply dicking around.

Additional note: Mr. Pilkington has been sacked for repeated use of the same off-color pun in one post.

How the heck could I have failed to put NW & SF on the list? And Sivana? Musta been the glare off his big ol' bald head that blinded me from seeing his Support:laugh: . Thanks for pointing that stuff out! Changes have been made as needed!

Ghost-x
03/08/2008, 15:29
Where’s the point formula? Some have reported seeing it vacationing in the south of France with Bigfoot, Nessie, the Yeti and a real live hot nymphomaniac cheerleader/gymnast who totally loves D&D, Cheetos, Dew, comics and guys who live in their moms’ basements that they’ve tricked out to look like the bridge from the Enterprise. Beam me up!

OMFG!! I actually choked on my own slobber while laughing when I read this! You, my man, can be brilliant sometimes!

Rep!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ol_Dut again.

:( :( :cry:

DAMMNIT!!!

Surfer13
03/08/2008, 15:33
5000 – Mail your box bottoms in ASAP people, because this is the limited number of “Buy it by the Brick” World’s Finest figures available, and when they’re gone they’re gone. Actually, there’s probably no need to panic. 5000 of them is probably more than enough to cover the typical demand for these mail away figures.
Typical demand being the issue. I think between the fact that this is Superman and Batman and that there are only 5,000, that demand will not be typical.
317 – Number of points of the highest point figure to ever come out of a booster pack (Earth-2 Superman). Too bad (or lucky) he can’t be played in many of the upcoming Crisis events.
4 out of 11. I suppose you could call that many, but I don't think that is too bad, myself.

Some interesting notes, though. Thanks for the examination.

spider_ham
03/08/2008, 16:12

:grin:

Timeline
0.x Promo Batman, Hulk, Spider-Man, Wolverine
1.0 Heroclix officially introduced w/ Infinity Challenge
1.1 Big Fig Sentinel
1.2 Introduction of brown powerset w/ Hypertime / Big Fig Sinestro
1.3 Introduction of lime powerset w/ Unleashed / Ultimates
1.4 Feat Cards
1.5 Big Fig Galactus
1.6 Double-Based Characters / Giants / Transporters
1.7 Single-Based Transporters
1.8 Collector's Sets
1.9 Big Fig Spectre
2.0 Zombies / Chase Figs / Special Objects
2.1 Duos
2.2 Special Powers / Character Cards / Keywords
2.3 Event Dials
2.4 Purple People Eater Galactus
2.5 Starro
2.6 Fing Fang Foom
2.7 Limited Edition Feats/BFCs/Event Dials
2.8 Floor Format
2.9 Orange Foom and "Decent" Foom variants
3.0 Retroactive keywords
3.1 Special Powers granting multiple team abilities/power subsets
3.2 300+ Point tournies
3.3 World's Finest (standard fig w/ colossal base) / 300+ point standard characters
3.4 Anti-Monitor
3.5 "Sinestro Corps: Vegas Edition" Anti-Monitor
4.0 Batman Alpha (or HeroClix: Reboot 1.0)

We're on the road to Star Wars Minis! Yay! :(

karduk
03/08/2008, 16:43
Uncle Sam becomes a Giant.

And Mordu's SP makes him a giant also

Orpheus
03/08/2008, 17:26
Awesome article!

+112

As a matter of fact, +1 rep, should get you up to... Oh no, 666 !!! :eek:

Ghost-x
03/08/2008, 19:16
:grin:

Timeline
0.x Promo Batman, Hulk, Spider-Man, Wolverine
1.0 Heroclix officially introduced w/ Infinity Challenge
1.1 Big Fig Sentinel
1.2 Introduction of brown powerset w/ Hypertime / Big Fig Sinestro
1.3 Introduction of lime powerset w/ Unleashed / Ultimates
1.4 Feat Cards
1.5 Big Fig Galactus
1.6 Double-Based Characters / Giants / Transporters
1.7 Single-Based Transporters
1.8 Collector's Sets
1.9 Big Fig Spectre
2.0 Zombies / Chase Figs / Special Objects
2.1 Duos
2.2 Special Powers / Character Cards / Keywords
2.3 Event Dials
2.4 Purple People Eater Galactus
2.5 Starro
2.6 Fing Fang Foom
2.7 Limited Edition Feats/BFCs/Event Dials
2.8 Floor Format
2.9 Orange Foom and "Decent" Foom variants
3.0 Retroactive keywords
3.1 Special Powers granting multiple team abilities/power subsets
3.2 300+ Point tournies
3.3 World's Finest (standard fig w/ colossal base) / 300+ point standard characters
3.4 Anti-Monitor
3.5 "Sinestro Corps: Vegas Edition" Anti-Monitor
4.0 Batman Alpha (or HeroClix: Reboot 1.0)

We're on the road to Star Wars Minis! Yay! :(

QFT ...and sadness :(

superfriend
03/08/2008, 23:46
but no single figure was more thematically critical for a crisis set than Superboy Prime. Alas, Superboy Prime, we never knew ya!

Disagree. That only applies to Infinite Crisis. The recenty story. For the original Crisis on Infinite Earths, the names are:

Anti Monitor
Monitor
Harbinger
Barry Allen
Psycho Pirate
Supergirl
Spectre

THE NAME most closely associated with the word "crisis" is Barry Allen.

LukeCageH4H
03/09/2008, 01:00
Did anyone else not know Ace is a giant?

disciple1976
03/09/2008, 01:06
Thank you Dut.

Overlord77
03/09/2008, 01:15
Dude your article was awesome. You always have useful and insightful points and thanks. I agree with everything you said....

phantalien
03/09/2008, 09:48
hey, great article although I think you forgot a few things.

# of...
feats as LE prizes
weeks of sanctioned events
complete teams you can make from the set (metal men, royal flush, and old teen titans)
physically broken figures found in packs (1 black adam)
C/U/R sets you can receive from buying a case (It is pretty much one case, the coallation was great for this set)

NeoShazam
03/09/2008, 11:22
Nice article.

I'm still in shock that they said the set include Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman , Green Lantern, and Flash....and all the figures in that were used in specific name except Wonder Woman (and Batman sorta). Wonder Girl x2 counts as Wonder Woman ? Still holding out hope for later Participation Prizes.

Aethermix
03/09/2008, 23:03
Oh yes, sure SB(M)P didn't make it into the set, but let us not forget our other buddy who caused simular havok not so many sets-a-go by the name of... Johnny Thunder?

Anyway if they made a SB(M)P figure for this set then they would had to have given Speedy an "emergency Phantom Zone arrow" Special Power and well... we have enough of those already methinks.

gatharion
03/10/2008, 10:44

You know when Avengers was announced and everyone called out 2.0! I argued that it wasn't. I don't argue that anymore.
I'd say that the first big change to HC was FCCF and NAAT.
The second was the introduction of Feats and BFCs.
And the third was the introduction of Special Powers and Keywords. Each of those things really did a lot to change how the game was played.

Thank you for pointing out the over-abundance of special powers in Crisis. I mentioned it several weeks ago on the WK forums and nearly got lambasted. "Special powers breath new life into the game." "Special powers are the only way to do characters accurately." And so on.

Personally I think there is just too much. Especially when you take a very straight-forward character like Green Arrow (normal guy with a bow) and give him FOUR special powers. (Yet somehow Zatanna didn't get any.)

The last couple of sets have really made me appreciate some of my older figures, the ones that I can play without needing to find extra cards or complicated rules questions caused by unique powers that slow down game play.

Kid Flash is WAY overrated. My Green Arrow knocked out a fresh one with his first shot of the game. Granted, I had a critical and perplex, but it was still funny.

Taking out a figure with someone who is over twice the cost via a crit hit isn't exactly evidence for a figure being overrated.

From what I've heard and seen Kid Flash isn't game breaking, but can be very annoying.

# of...
feats as LE prizes
weeks of sanctioned events
complete teams you can make from the set (metal men, royal flush, and old teen titans)
physically broken figures found in packs (1 black adam)
C/U/R sets you can receive from buying a case (It is pretty much one case, the coallation was great for this set)

We already know how many LE feat prizes and weeks of sanctioned events.

Neither Metal Men nor the original Titans can be used be played without either being massively undercosted or using an obscene amount of cardboard.

There is no possibly way to know how many broken figures there have been. I haven't heard many reports, but I assure that there is more than a single broken Black Adam.

By "C/U/R sets" do you mean complete sets sans SRs and Chases? That's not an especially relevant number (since it doesn't include SRs) and can only be approximated.

gatharion
03/10/2008, 10:58
Here's a number that I'll include:

20-
The number of remakes in the set. And that doesn't include the Chase figs or even the duos (such as Starfire and Nightwing which remakes two figures). Nor did I count Kid Flash since the other version we have is a different character.
While I wasn't crying out for a remake of Deathstroke or Green Arrow, but I can appreciate that others were. And at least one remake really stands out as a needed improvement over the original (Batgirl), but by and large I feel that this was excessive and would have liked a few more original figures in the set.
Personally, the figs in this set that I've been the most excited to get are the likes Uncle Sam, Liberty Belle, Rip Hunter, and Dawnstar who are fresh faces to the game and help me build comic accurate teams that I couldn't before.

Norym
03/10/2008, 12:59
We raffled off a paint master of the Roy Harper LE last week at Clix for the Cure. It had a card and a dial and everything...

Who has the dial to post?

serioussam
03/10/2008, 15:12
I expected Superboy Prime to be a chase figure. Now that E-2 and KC Supes have been confirmed as the "chase" figures, my guess is that he couldn't properly be outfitted on an 11 click dial....

My guess is that Spectre couldn't fit on an 11 click dial either, but he did. I wonder why spectre did not get angry spirit tokens and Trigon did?????

vamroc
03/10/2008, 15:38
Disagree. That only applies to Infinite Crisis. The recenty story. For the original Crisis on Infinite Earths, the names are:

Anti Monitor
Monitor
Harbinger
Barry Allen
Psycho Pirate
Supergirl
Spectre

THE NAME most closely associated with the word "crisis" is Barry Allen.
Well you gotta throw in E2 and E1 Superman and E2 Wonder Woman her death was no less important to the story. But it was Supergirl's death that really pushed E2 over the edge and helped focus the rage he felt about watching Wonder Woman die.

bodhemon
03/10/2008, 16:08
sigdr, I don't hate the cool characters, but Mordru, Tempest, Klarion, and Supernova don't fit the bill for cool characters in my opinion! :)

No, I do understand that Blue Beetle, Deathstroke, Green Arrow, and others needed remakes, but I don't think we need them before some characters that have never been made. Luckily we did get the remakes plus the Red Hood, or I would have been fuming. Heck, I was fuming when Red Hood, or a Jason Robin, wasn't included in the Justice League expansion!

And as you said, it's a very subjective thing. You said you would rather see a remake than the first verision of a character that you don't like. I'd rather see the first version of a character that I love (Jason Todd, Barry Allen), than a remake of a character I hate (such as Deathstroke, Deadshot, Mirror Master, Lobo, etc.)

As far as Crisis goes, personally, I hate Deathstoke. I'm luke-warm on Cassandra Batgirl, Darkseid, and Sinestro. I don't much care about the Metal Men. I like the Royal Flush Gang, Green Arrow, Black Adam, Alex Luthor, and Psycho Pirate. I love Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, Supergirl, Jason Todd, Dick Grayson, Ted Kord, Harbinger, and some others. It's all VERY subjective. And remakes vs. 1st-time characters will always be a huge source of controversy for this great game! :)

you hate the crisis deathstroke and the darkseid? are you out of your mind? these are awesome clix. sure, I've never even heard of the psycho pirate or the royal flush gang, I didn't need a bunch of crappy clix of characters I've never heard of filling up my boxes (throw in shimmer and mammoth too, although somewhat less crappy). but deathstroke took out the entire JLA in about 4 minutes because dr. light paid him to. and here is a click that if played right might actually be capable of that (minus Superman obviously). as for darkseid, he is a monster. I played a 700 point team with him and three times I was able to use omega beams to transport an opponents click adjacent to deathstroke and karate kid and each time kill the target in one turn. darkseid rules.

Sate
03/10/2008, 19:01
My guess is that Spectre couldn't fit on an 11 click dial either, but he did. I wonder why spectre did not get angry spirit tokens and Trigon did?????
Actually, they put Spectre on a 10-click dial. :disappoin

...:cool:

fastcat99
03/10/2008, 20:18
Great article!!!
So, rip hunter and kid flash teams it is!

SLVRSR4
03/12/2008, 02:20
real live hot nymphomaniac cheerleader/gymnast who totally loves D&D, Cheetos, Dew, comics and guys who live in their moms’ basements that they’ve tricked out to look like the bridge from the Enterprise.

Possibly one of the funniest collection of words in a post...EVER

I've got one of these, too! Except mine is a Hot nymphomaniac DANCER who love heroclix, comic books, video games, sports, and cars. She is engaged to me, who still lives at home (though not for much longer) and has Silver Surfer and other comic book paraphenallia all over my room.

brevard321
03/12/2008, 06:21
you hate the crisis deathstroke and the darkseid? are you out of your mind? these are awesome clix. sure, I've never even heard of the psycho pirate or the royal flush gang, I didn't need a bunch of crappy clix of characters I've never heard of filling up my boxes (throw in shimmer and mammoth too, although somewhat less crappy). but deathstroke took out the entire JLA in about 4 minutes because dr. light paid him to. and here is a click that if played right might actually be capable of that (minus Superman obviously). as for darkseid, he is a monster. I played a 700 point team with him and three times I was able to use omega beams to transport an opponents click adjacent to deathstroke and karate kid and each time kill the target in one turn. darkseid rules.

Believe me, I like Psycho Pirate and the Royal Flush Gang far more than Deathstroke. I'm just not a fan of that character. What I hate about the Heroclix version is that there is no mainstream Batman which sits at that same 156 point level. With the Wildcard and the Master Tactician, he's pretty formidable, and I'm sad they haven't made an OMAC Project-type Batman just like that. They made a Batman/Robin duo and it didn't crack the 150-point barrier.

Darkseid is going to be hard to beat in any game. As he should be, but again, I just don't truly like the character all that much. The New Gods are interesting and all, but there's just something about them that doesn't click with me.

Oh well, to me, the source material is the most important part of this game. Sometimes that source material gets lost because of the selection of "popular" hard-edge characters, or power combinations that are broken, or just plain old mistakes. I'm sure someone will run a Deathstroke, Dawnstar, Hellbaby, & Lois Lane team, or something like that, but that stuff just doesn't interest me.

What I don't like is sitting down with a 300-point team, and facing another 300-point team and realizing there is little to no chance of winning, just because of the characters my opponent has chosen (or won in the booster lottery). Heck, just the other night it took 2 400-point teams (in a 3-player game) to take out Earth-2 Superman in a fun game!

PMMJ
03/12/2008, 09:13
sure, I've never even heard of the psycho pirate or the royal flush gang,

And now I am all sad inside.

SLVRSR4
03/12/2008, 16:32
And now I am all sad inside.

I feel your pain, too. I always feel a little sadness when a set comes out and contains characters that only I know who they are at my venue.

Mr. Pilkington
03/12/2008, 16:44
I'm starting to be in that boat with newer things, especially in Marvel. I gave up on 616 Marvels a looong time ago (somewhere in the insanely mutant-packed 90's) , so I see figures like Blink, Echo, Nocturne, Ronin, heck, pretty much any Thunderbolt in its "hero" persona (I know a fair amount of old villains) and I'm lost. Then the younger folks at the venue can look at me like I'm an idiot. But at least I know who Kamandi and Devil Dinosaur are.

Jools
03/13/2008, 04:08
Excellent stuff. Best article I've read here.