The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: Reed Richards and Sue Storm! [Archive] - HeroClix Realms

PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: Reed Richards and Sue Storm!

ol_Dut
09/25/2008, 01:16
ol_Dut's LE Review: Reed Richards and Sue Storm
by Justin Dekker

Itís that time of year again. The evenings are getting cooler. Leaves are changing. The Vikings arenít living up to their potential. But most importantly, LE figures are back on the tournament scene. Today weíre testing the limits of Reed Richards, so grab a leg and start pulling wonít you?! Sue Storm is in here as well, I think, but who can really be sure?

ol_Dut
09/25/2008, 01:25
http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=140&pictureid=2614

When last we saw Reed Richards, he was Mr. Fantastic and he was contorted into this shape:

#101 V Mr. Fantastic
Team: Fantastic Four
Range: 6 :bolt:
Keywords: Fantastic Four, Illuminati, Scientist
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal91017281017281016289162891528815278151KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOSpeed - PLIABLE: Mr. Fantastic can use Leap/Climb and Plasticity.
Defense - DUCTILE: Mr. Fantastic can use Super Senses and Barrier (as if he had a range of 0). When a barrier terrain marker placed by Mr. Fantastic is destroyed, roll a d6; on a result of 1, deal 1 damage to Mr. Fantastic.
Damage - INVENTIVE GENIUS: Mr. Fantastic can use Perplex, but he can modify the target's combat values by +2 or -2 if he is targeting himself or another character with which he shares a keyword.

Now he’s Reed, and he’s bent himself into something that looks like this:

#111 LE Reed Richards
Keywords: Fantastic Four, Illuminati, Scientist
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal91117291017281017289162891527815278152KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOTRAIT:When Reed Richards or a friendly character with the Fantastic Four keyword 6 or fewer squares from Reed Richards to which he can draw a clear line of fire makes an attack, treat a result of double 2s or double 3s as double 4s.
Damage - ULTIMATE NULLIFIER: Reed Richards can use Outwit. He can use it normally, or he can counter all standard and named powers of a target character and roll a d6; on a result of 1, immediately dead Reed Richards 1 unavoidable damage.

http://www.hcrealms.com/units/si111.jpg

LE Reed Richards’ Gains vs. Mr. Fantastic
Reed gets a solid offensive boost with a click of 11 attack. He also picks up three clicks of Leap/Climb and three of Combat Reflexes as well. There’s also one more click of two (2) damage. However, his two biggest changes come as a result of his Trait that that turns double 2s and 3s into double 4s, and the “Ultimate Nullifier” special power which allows him to counter all of a character’s powers at a one in six chance of doing a click of unavoidable damage to himself.

LE Reed Richards’ Losses vs. Mr. Fantastic
First of all, we need to remember that these figures have the same team ability, same range, same number of clicks, and the same point cost (100 points). That being the case, there’s not really a whole lot that can be done to radically alter a figure. Since we got a Trait that works for the full length of the dial, we have to give up two other Special Powers – those being “Pliable” and “Ductile”. Also, since we got the super-Outwit in “Ultimate Nullifier” we have to give up the super-Perplex of “Inventive Genius”. The only other real loss comes in the form of the departure of two clicks of Outwit.

Neutral Dial Tinkering
Really none to speak of.

If ol’ Dut had to Choose
LE Reed Richards vs. Mr. Fantastic? The standard powers, clicks of life and many other elements of these two figures are very similar. So much so, that we’re realistically basing the decision of better or worse entirely on which set of Special Powers provide the biggest bang for the proverbial buck. Reed comes to us with a Trait that lets him turn lousy dice into good dice. At first blush this looks like a really cool deal. However, the odds of rolling double 2s or double 3s in order to active the Trait are relatively low. So low, in fact, that it becomes more of a stroke of luck than an insurance policy. And let’s be honest; it’s hard to build a strategy around a fluke. No points for this.

“Ultimate Nullifier” also looks promising at first. Outwit is good, but as Emperor Joker taught us, countering all the powers on a figure is even better. Two things bear special consideration, though. First, standard and named powers are specifically called out, so the “Ultimate Nullifier” can’t be used to shut down Special Powers when trying to counter everything on a figure’s dial. Secondly, there’s the potential (1 in 6 chance) of doing damage to himself for using the “Nullifier”. While the payoff of using the “Nullifier” may be beneficial, I’ve never been a fan of special powers that damage the figure using them since the concept first arrived on the scene in Avengers. In my book, that puts Reed at zero for two.

Mr. Fantastic starts with “Pliable”. It gives him Leap/Climb and Plasticity. Whoop-de-doo. A couple of boring powers mashed together to create a really boring special power. You know what would have been fun? A power called “Stretchy” which would have given him those two really boring powers but would also let him move up to twice his Speed value or make a close combat attack at twice his printed range against any figure regardless of line of fire or adjacency. As it stands, however, “Pliable” scores no points.

What about “Ductile” then? He gets Super Senses! That’s sort of nice in a couple of extra fries in my King Sized fries kind of way. He also gets a zero range Barrier that hurts him if anyone destroys a piece of it. This is a lot like a burger that looks as if it was run over by a bus and partially digested when compared to the beautiful picture on the menu. A “+1” and a “-1” net “Ductile” no points.

But have no fear, “Inventive Genius” is here! …Or “Nerd” as I prefer to call the power. “Nerd” gives our Plastic Fantastic Lover super-Perplex when he uses it on a figure with which he shares a keyword. Now there aren’t many Illuminati and there aren’t that many Fantastic Four folks although it does give them quite a boost. There are, however, quite a lot of Scientists, some of whom see play rather frequently and whom will now cower in fear of the Nerd King! “Nerd” gives Mr. Fantastic a very useful and predictable power, and more importantly it is one around which a strategy can be built. For that reason and that reason alone, Mr. Fantastic is coming out every time over Reed.

Moving over to Reed’s better half, here’s the Invisible Woman we all know and love.

#102 V Invisible Woman
Keywords: Fantastic Four
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal99172991729101728101628101627915178151KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOSpeed - INVISIBLE: Any character that is 7 or more squares away from the Invisible Woman can't draw a line of fire to her.
Defense - FORCE FIELDS: Invisible Woman can use Barrier and Invulnerability.

And here’s the new Sue Storm.

#112 LE Sue Storm
Range: 8 :bolt:
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal8101828917279172791627816178151KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOTRAIT: Sue Storm and friendly characters with the Fantastic Four keyword 6 or fewer squares from Sue Storm to which she can draw a clear line of fire can use Super Senses if they can’t already, but evade attacks only on a result of 6.
Attack - GET AWAY FROM HIM!: Sue Storm can use Quake. She can use it normally, or can use it as if she occupied a square occupied by a friendly character 6 or fewer squares away to which Sue Storm can draw a clear line of fire, ignoring the effects of opposing characters on line of fire.

http://www.hcrealms.com/units/si112.jpg

LE Sue Storm’s Gains vs. Invisible Woman
First of all, Sue increases her range up to eight squares from six. She also adds one click of Ranged Combat Expert, two of Running Shot, and three of Invulnerable. Defensively she acquires one click of 18 defense. Even more importantly, Sue can grant a more limited form of Super Senses to other FF members with her Trait. And with “Get Away From Him!” sh can use Quake normally or at a range of six – terms and conditions apply, void where prohibited, seek medical attention in the event of priapism, don’t feed her after midnight and don’t get her wet.

LE Sue Storm’s Losses vs. invisible Woman
One big one jumps out he me right away. Sue can’t fly. Bummer. And remember that scene in the movie where Jessica Alba appears naked on the street? The same thing happens here as well because that “Invisible” is gone. So are her “Force Fields”. She also drops a click of life, two 10 attacks,a click of Outwit, two of Force Blast and four of Quake. For those keeping score, Sue is giving up way more than Reed. This begs the question of, “Is WizK!ds sexist?”. Or does sexy just cost more? The world may never know.

Neutral Dial Tinkering
Unlike every other woman on the planet, Sue is very straightforward. The only little trick is that she’s got her 10 attack upfront whereas the Invisible Woman has hers mid-dial.

If ol’ Dut had to Choose
LE Sue Storm vs. Invisible Woman? Sure they both cost 100 points, but even so we must remember that Sue/IW is essentially a support piece and as such we must endeavor to discover who best provides this support. In her favor, the Invisible Woman can:
1. Use TK,
2. Become very hard to hit due to “Invisible”,
3. Throw up Barriers, and
4. Blast away for up to four (4) damage with RCE.

LE Sue Storm can:
1. Use TK,
2. Grant Super Senses lite,
3. Quake from range,
4. Run and shoot the bad guys, and
5. Blast away for up to four (4) damage with RCE.

It’s great that the Invisible Woman can protect herself at range with “Invisible”, but to what end? Sue is capable of doing much more and at greater range to help her team. While Sue can’t fly, she does have greater mobility thanks to Running Shot. And although she can’t use Invulnerability on her first click, she does have an 18 defense to make her a bit harder to hit. It’s true she’s got one less click of life for 100 points, but the Super Senses lite is a nice addition for her team members, and ranged Quaking foes so that the Thing can Charge or Torch can Running Shot is a huge boon as well. As a result, Sweet Sue Storm is going to be getting the call every time over the Invisible Woman.

That’s all for this week. Next up is Johnny Storm! Thanks for reading!

Roderic_Cliche
09/25/2008, 06:40
First post? :)

As for me, I'd run the Invisible Woman over Sue, mainly because I prefer the kooky way she works with Invisible and RCE/TK. It's a Sue who's an annoyance piece if placed right. . . but I can definitely see the advantages of running Sue. That passing out wanna-be Super Senses is a really nice boon.

Great article, and a quick read!

StormCrawler
09/25/2008, 06:45
I have to agree with your choices. I'd only use Reed Richards if I had a PC'er in my team so you can reroll 1's when you use his special power. Fact is, if you roll a 1 right away, you already lose the special power...

That said, most 'outwit all' have range restrictions, but Reed can use it at 10 squares, which is quite powerful, and the 11 attack is great. Too bad the +2 perplex is so awesome it blows Reed away.

anonym0use
09/25/2008, 06:46
Welcome Back Ol'Dut! Your reviews have been missed.

Here's my take on Reed:
If anonym0use had to choose:
Lack of any Perplex is perhaps the biggest noticible difference between the two figures, which is why Le Reed is more of an X-acto to Starter Reed's Swiss Army knife. When you need something Outwit Le Reed leaps into the fray, saying "look how Fantastic I am!" shutting down an enemies dial and sniping away with his 11 AV. Meanwhile, starter Reed hangs out in the back row pumping up his wife's attack value, his Brother-in-law's range, and his best friend's defense value while giving himself the option on his turn of having an 8 range, 4 damage value or 12 attack.

Mr. Fancy-pants-tastic is kind of like a reverse mullet - he's got the SuPer-plex party in the front and serious Outwit in the back. While frontloaded Outwit is a boon, and the trait is nice in the post-Seth Heroclix era where players have to plan on hitting an 18 defense every game Mr. Fantastic is my go to pick as an all around team player. If I were fielding an Illuminati team, I might choose LE Reed instead, as most of the Illuminati start with some form of SuPer-plex (Wand of Watoomb, Cerebro, etc.). A Scientist theme could benefit from either version, but I'm guessing the +2 Perplex will outweigh the dial shutdown 3 times out of 4.

So we agree there. Will we agree about Suzie?

If anonym0use had to choose.
Decisions, Decisions. This is a very close race because of that pesky trait, which seems handy on the surface. Yet it's obvious the trait is so expensive because the LE suffers for it by having less life, attack value, powers and overall utility. The fact that the LE picks up Invulnerability on the second click when the Starter...er... starts with it is a pretty big deciding factor. Many players will want to push such an aggressive attack piece onto the Invulnerability for added safety, and there's the conundrum. With one click of 10 AV, that aggressive attack piece starts to fade away into a meeker, meager secondary attacker.

Still the trait is probably the deciding factor for most players of the Fantastic Four. For my money I'd rather have a figure that can take a few hits and still remain effective, like Starter Alba Woman. And yet... Super Senses for the whole team is really nice and shiny distraction when building my team. Gah! I have to come to a decision here. So I ask myself...how many times do I actually make my Skrull TA rolls? Because that's how effective that trait is going to be for me. Odds are, if you're like me, that trait will always work against you, and seldom work for you, and that's when I decide to pick Starter Invisible Woman more often than Sue Storm LE.

Of course, this judgment comes without reading your review. The Ranged Quake to free up a charging Ben or a Running SHot from Johnny is genius, and something I had not looked at before.

I will note, that it's evident that the FF figures really can't be judged on their sole merits. 75%+ of the time, they'll be run as a team with the rest of the FF, which makes them a little more dynamic in my book. In any event, I appreciate your fesh take on these figures.

JRS4
09/25/2008, 06:51
Good review thanks for the breakdown.

brevard321
09/25/2008, 06:53
Agreed on Mr. Fantastic. I used him with some scientist buddies the other day, FCBD Iron Man, SI Spider-Man, and SN Rookie Ant-Man.

When you are able to get Iron Man to running shot for 5 damage, or have Spider-Man Flurry for 5 damage x 2, or boost Ant-Man's defense up to 20, you know you have some special synergy going on. 3 wins during the Skrull scenario with the replacement Skrulls, and I only got to replace Ant-Man once during the 3 games, and this was against teams such as Namor/Dr. Strange, Hercules/Exp Vision/SR Quicksilver, and a Starter Human Torch/SI Human Torch led team.

Surprisingly, the easiest win was against Namor/Dr. Strange, 2 VERY good figures and a good player, but the double-perplex was just brutal against them. I sure didn't expect that. :)

Valtz
09/25/2008, 07:26
Neutral Dial Tinkering
Unlike every other woman on the planet, Sue is very straightforward.

Snip Snap!

TheUnstoppable
09/25/2008, 07:48
Nice review mate.

yeah last weekend after our main tourney was over i ran a FF team of Reed, Mr. F, Sue, and The Thing.

It was creepy how well they all work in tandem. If i could just remember to worry about the traits (the thing got hit twice and i forgot to roll the SS, which when we both laughed and i rolled it to check what i would have gotten, i rolled a 6....UGH!). Only rolled double 3's once but at that point it didn't matter, when mentioned my friend was frustrated with my time he did the joking kiss my @$$ comment.

I think your final review dut needs to be the starter Four Vs the LE Four. at that point it will make the discussion very interesting.

I am really wanting to run the LE 4 in a 6 hundred point team of either the LE's, Mr. F, Spidey, and She-Thing or Feats (like brilliant Tac). With the LE's working together its going to be creepy how strong Johnny Storm LE has the potential to be. Toughness with super senses with ES/D. now thats just nasty. Then you have Mr. F pump his damage or attack. EEEEEWWWW!!!!!

if they work well together (ie the player doesn't spread them out and gives them all LoF with one another the team is just plain SICK!

sorry went on a tangent, just got my centripetal force back. Great review dut. after playing them on the field i couldn't agree with you more.

tkwink
09/25/2008, 08:22
Nice review on both figures. Reed's trait is a tad better than it appears at first glance, but only a tad. If you need a standard 7 to hit, the trait essentially gives you a 6% better chance of hitting. That's not much. BUT as something good happens on rolling doubles when you hit (that is, knockback), it means that you have a much better chance of improving the quality of your hit. On a normal roll of 7, there is only an 8% chance of rolling doubles to hit (3 dice combinations - 4/4, 5/5, 6/6), but with this trait, you have a 14% chance (5 dice combinations). That's not insubstantial, but it's probably not enough to make me use Reed regularly, esp. since the new Perplex rules make Mr. Fantastic so, well, fantastic.

If Reed didn't have the risk of injury using the Ultimate Nullifier, or if he turned double 1's and double 2's into double 4's (thus eliminating critical misses for his friends), he might be a bit more interesting.

(Note: I'm an English and History major, so my math may be suspect, but I think it's in the ballpark at least.)

larthosgrr8
09/25/2008, 09:38
it's hard to choose which one because they both have rolls in a team. while having +2 to your damage is awesome, you might need to have a power outwitted first. reed richards is best for the one-two style of fighting. he can outwit the defense(which is most times a standard imperv, SS) have johnny attack and ten the thing for the knock out blow.

i think i'd choose the le sue just because of the range. she has better powers that work for her teammates than the starter version. actually, i'd use the chase susan richards before i used any of the other ones. those sues can put up all barriers they want, susan can shoot right through them.

malakim2099
09/25/2008, 09:42
Well, Reed isn't that bad... still an excellent piece, but Mr Fantastic is superior. I do have to agree on Sue Storm though, especially after using her with a FF team (Mr Fantastic, Sue, Johnny, and The Thing) and having her make a few saves with her trait for the rest of the team. :)

dariusq
09/25/2008, 11:11
Great review, but I'll stick with Invisible Woman most of the time and occasionally play Sue Storm. My Sue has been one shot-ed once too often for me to consider a naked 18DV better than having upfront Invuln. Keyword wise they're both limited to FF, and that team could really use the taxi.

Incidentally, Invisible Woman never has Outwit (it's RCE on the fig). That's an error either on the dial or the site that WizKids never corrected.

rrichster
09/25/2008, 11:24
I played Reed LE last week. One of the advantages of the Ultimate Nullifier is that he outwit at a range of 10, whereas Emperor Joker only has a range of 4.

Also, I kind of poo poo his special trait until Human Torch rolled double two's and Reed Coverted it to double 4s. Admittly, rare but when it does happen, it's pretty sweet.

airdomin8
09/25/2008, 11:37
I wanted desperately to have all the LE figures; it just didn't feel right to have just one or two of the Fantastic Four!

Then I studied Reed Richards' dial more closely, and realized I wasn't missing out on too much. I knew for sure I wanted the Sue Richards LE though, again because of the trait and combination of powers she possesses.

Great article as always! I absolutely agree with your choices!

blackprince
09/25/2008, 13:26
Excellent reviews. I agree that Mr. Fantastic will be the better choice under most circumstances. I would typically use him on a either a Fantastic Four or a Scientist team. The FF really benefits from the super-stretchy perplex as they have good, but not great stats. Scientists often have Perplex and/or Outwit, so it is less of an issue there -- but that double perplex still wins out in my book.

I agree that the Sue battle is more of a toss-up. Their lack of additional keywords other than FF means they will be used primarily on FF teams or teams without a theme (or perhaps non-traditional themes, such as all female, all-blonde, etc.). On a non-FF team, Sue's trait is pointless, so Invisble Woman is likely the better choice. On an FF team, for me it will really depend on the build size and whether I'm playing Johnny or not. If Sue/IW is my primary ranged attacker, then I will probably use the LE Sue as she is better for filling that gap -- especially as IW has to get inside the range where her Invisible SP doesn't work to be able to make a non-perplexed ranged attack (I have used Reed's perplex to allow her to make such attacks from outside 6, but I'd normally rather use his perplex on her attack). OTOH, now that I have a Susan Richards, if the point value is high enough I will likely use her over either version if I'm only using one form of Sue. I did play a 500 point Unrestricted multiplayer game last weekend with Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Sue Storm, Susan Richards, LE Sue Storm from FF (the one with 19 DEF), the FF ATA, Brilliant Tactician on Mr. Fantastic and Opportunist on Susan Richards. The team performed very well -- including against another FF theme team fielding Mr. Fantastic, Sue Storm, Invisible Woman, Thing, SI Spidey and SI She-Thing. My opponent made about 6 of the LE Sue Super Senses rolls over the course of the game and it was incredibly frustrating to me and to the other player (I think I made one such roll -- OTOH, with 19 DEFs on all but Susan Richards, I didn't need them as often :cheeky:).

Mr. Pilkington
09/25/2008, 15:30
On the Reed trait, if my math is correct then here is the breakdown.

If you need a 3, 4, 9, 10, 11 or 12 to hit your target the trait is of no help (3 and 4 are so low that you gain no benefit and the rest are too high for the double 4's to help).

If you need a 5 or 6 to hit the trait helps by +2.8%, rounded to the nearest tenth (it only helps if you roll double 2's as double 3's would already hit.

If you need a 7 or 8 o hit the trait helps by +5.6%, again rounded tot he nearest tenth.

Thus your mileage will vary considerably. If it had turned double 2's or double 3's into an automatic hit (without the critical hit damage) it would be a bit better as it would be helpful for any target number above 6.

I also have to say that I don't always find knockback to be a benefit. It is a mixed blessing at best for me. Sometimes I knock figures off of a roof and score extra damage. Other times I knock figures off of a roof but they ended on a CR click, took no damage and are now no longer adjacent or within LOF for my second Flurry attack or my other figures. Even something as minor as losing adjacency and thus not forcing a breakaway roll can be significant. There are potentially times when I'd rather miss than hit with knockback.

Add in my disappointment with a power named "The Ultimate Nullifier". Outwit, even special Outwit is not in line with a device that can potentially remove an entire timeline. I wanted a Special Power with the ability to instantly KO and most likely KO the figure using the power. This of course would be a beast of a power to try to balance for game-play. My first thought would be to make any figures KOed by the use of this power not count toward victory points. I'd even go so far as to say the target doesn't count to victory points but the figure using it does (so if my Reed uses it to KO your Doom and then gets KOed himself you get 100 for Reed and I get nothing for Doom except the supreme satisfaction of Doom being gone in one shot). I also considered making the the possibility of KOing the figure that uses the power based on the point cost of the target and a die roll. If the target costs too many points make it an automatic KO of the user. If the target is low enough give the user a chance to not get KOed.

Combine these and I doubt I'll use LE Reed.

flakbait
09/25/2008, 16:32
I would have really liked some sort of "Plasticity at range" type power for Mr Fantastic. Allow him to lock people down at a distance, pinning them out of Sue's invisibility range (which is too far - she can't even shoot out of it without some perplex) and holding them still for Ben.

Kenny Wisdom
09/26/2008, 01:32
I agree 100%, Dut. Great article.

anonym0use
09/26/2008, 08:26
I would have really liked some sort of "Plasticity at range" type power for Mr Fantastic. Allow him to lock people down at a distance, pinning them out of Sue's invisibility range (which is too far - she can't even shoot out of it without some perplex) and holding them still for Ben.

While she can't shoot out of it... TK'ng an object has a range of 8. ;)

anonym0use
09/26/2008, 08:29
I also have to say that I don't always find knockback to be a benefit. It is a mixed blessing at best for me. Sometimes I knock figures off of a roof and score extra damage. Other times I knock figures off of a roof but they ended on a CR click, took no damage and are now no longer adjacent or within LOF for my second Flurry attack or my other figures. Even something as minor as losing adjacency and thus not forcing a breakaway roll can be significant. There are potentially times when I'd rather miss than hit with knockback.

Knockback is a mixed blessing. I've been using SI SPidey a lot lately, and rolling knockback on my first flurry attack leaving me swinging in the air.

Please note, IIRC knockback damage DOES NOT EQUAL falling damage. CR might prevent knockback, but may not alter the impact of falling. The only thing that ignores falling outsdie damage reducers is flight. Again, IIRC.

Mr. Pilkington
09/26/2008, 13:31
Please note, IIRC knockback damage DOES NOT EQUAL falling damage. CR might prevent knockback, but may not alter the impact of falling. The only thing that ignores falling outsdie damage reducers is flight. Again, IIRC.

Doesn't look that is the case. Here's the glossary entry:

knock back damage: Damage dealt to a character when its knock back path intersects with a wall, the edge of the map, the boundary of elevated terrain, or the boundary of blocking terrain.

And here is the section of Knock Back regarding elevated:

Knock back off elevated terrain. When a character is knocked back off of elevated terrain, the knock back path ends in the first square of grounded terrain and the character is dealt 2 knock back damage. If the first grounded square along the knock back path is occupied by another character, the knock back path ends in the last elevated square and the knocked back character is dealt 1 knock back damage (in some cases this may result in the knocked back character not moving.) Characters with the Flight ability (see p. 16) are knocked back off of elevated terrain normally, but are not dealt knock back damage for passing from elevated to grounded terrain.

Flight still protects you and CR should as the falling damage is listed as Knock Back damage.

anonym0use
09/26/2008, 13:33
Fascinating!

HouseT75
09/28/2008, 13:50
I'm a fan of Mr. Fantastic, myself. Aside from the obvious boost to your own team that the +2 offers, so far as I can tell he could also use his Inventive Genius to reduce the stats of opposing characters he shares a keyword with by 2. And given how many variations of good Scientist theme teams there are, that's never a bad thing.

That said, I like the quirkiness of Reed's trait, and if I ever get my hands on one I'd be obligated to play him at least once or twice just for that.

GL_Alex
09/28/2008, 14:59
First off, I have to say the FF starter set is amazing for the price it's sold for. Then we get blessed with the LE versions of those pieces and suddenly it's sweet FF bliss. I agree that Mr. Fantastic is superior to Reed for the +2 perplex that most veteran players are using for their team strategy. I really like the Sue Storm with her 8 range and 18 defense...it makes her viable to both normal FF teams and the Alt FF ones. On a side note, is everyone else doing the same kind of second turn strategy that I do at local games: Have Mr. Fantastic perplex up Thing's attack value and then have Sue tk him 8 squares forward,allowing him to use his own SP power of moving 7 more squares,picking up a heavy object along the way,and then "clobbering" some poor opponent with a 12 attack/6 damage attack 15 squares from the starting area?

Rurouni KJS
09/30/2008, 09:10
On a non-FF team, Sue's trait is pointless...

She can still use the limited Super Senses herself: "Sue Storm and friendly characters with the Fantastic Four keyword 6 or fewer squares from Sue Storm to which she can draw a clear line of fire can use Super Senses if they can't already, but evade attacks only on a result of 6.

anonym0use
09/30/2008, 09:24
On a side note, is everyone else doing the same kind of second turn strategy that I do at local games: Have Mr. Fantastic perplex up Thing's attack value and then have Sue tk him 8 squares forward,allowing him to use his own SP power of moving 7 more squares,picking up a heavy object along the way,and then "clobbering" some poor opponent with a 12 attack/6 damage attack 15 squares from the starting area?[/B]

The only problem with this strategy as I see it, is that the Thing is effectively 15 squares away from the rest of your team, deep in enemy territory.

Basically, he might get the first shot in, but will likely get pwned the following turn. I find it better to have him move in and attack, then protect him with Sue's Barrier.

Barrier was the deciding difference for me between the LE Sue and IW. The ability to lay down some blocking terrain so that Johnny can Pulse Wave for full damage and not hit his own team sealed the deal.

DemonRS
11/06/2008, 16:01
Where's the other half of the starter set?

Get to work Dut!