The Trophy Room What you Need: Infinity Challenge [Archive] - HeroClix Realms

PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy Room What you Need: Infinity Challenge

ol_Dut
06/29/2009, 12:15
Ol_Dut’s
What you Need: Infinity Challenge
By Justin Dekker

While the future of HeroClix is in flux, one thing is certain – there are a whole lot of figures out there. Without new figures in stores now, this is the perfect time to go back in fill in some holes in your collection. And where better to start than at the start? Come inside for some figures from Infinity Challenge that no Clix player should be without!

ol_Dut
06/29/2009, 12:16
It’s true that Infinity Challenge came out many years ago and as a result some of what it has to offer no longer seem relevant. Some were great and became bad. Some were bad from the beginning. Then, there are a few diamonds in the rough that were great then, and are still pretty good today. Those figures, the best of Infinity Challenge, are today’s focus.

First and foremost there is Unique Vision. While he was redone with the full REV and LE treatment in Supernova with a couple of satisfying results, none of those figures really truly eliminated the need for this old chestnut. Unique Vision’s dial is the very model of stability. Over the expanse of his 10 click dial his attack values start at 11 and drop no further than nine. And have you ever seen so many twos? On his first click he does two damage. On his second? Also two. Third click? Still two. Fourth? Two. Five, six, seven and eight? Two, two, two and furthermore two. Click nine? Two damage. In fact, it isn’t until his tenth and last click that his damage drops to one. But don’t let that two damage fool you. With Super Strength on most of his clicks his damage can easily be increased, and all of that Phasing mixed with flight makes him the master of the yoink (pulling objects out from under figures using them for Stealth).

http://www.hcrealms.com/units/ic139.jpg

#139 U Vision
Team: Avengers
Range: 10 :bolt:
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal91117291117291116281016281015281015279142791427913279131KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Hercules, complete with some fancy Special Powers hit the scene again in Secret invasion. He’s got some potential, but he’s also 142 points. Luckily, Infinity Challenge provides us with an excellent REV. The Rookie and Expereinced versions, at 54 and 67 points respectively, do pretty well for themselves. Both have excellent attack values, solid damage numbers, and Super Strength on every single click. Good as they may be, I’m particularly enamored with the Veteran. At a lean 84 points, Hercules doesn’t skimp on the power. An 11 attack, lots of three and four damage, no shortage of Super Strength and nine clicks of life make Herc a steal. And, like Vision, his dial is incredibly stable. His defensive values may be low, and he may not have anything more than Toughness, but the guy can take a hit. And then he can hit back.

http://www.hcrealms.com/units/ic118.jpg

#120 V Hercules
Team: Avengers
Range: 0 :bolt:
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal8111548101547101437101436913369133691235812258112KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Mr. Hyde is another “must have” from IC, for a couple of reasons. First, he’s the only iteration of this character, and for comic accurate theme teams that makes him critical. Second, he’s a cheap, disposable brick, especially the Veteran. Good attack values, lots of Super Strength and damage values one would expect on a 62 point figure make Hyde a great choice as a tertiary attacker. His only real downfall is that, like Herc, Hyde’s defensive values are rather low. But seven clicks of life will keep him hanging around longer than many of the figures in Arkham.

http://www.hcrealms.com/units/ic109.jpg

#111 V Mr. Hyde
Team: Masters of Evil
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal7111536101436913269122581125811247101KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Doctor Strange may be prettier in Fantastic Forces. He may be more Specailly Powered in Secret Invasion. But that doesn’t mean the IC REV Doctor Strange’s days are gone and forgotten. What keeps him in the mix? Price and powers. The SI Strange runs 149 points; that’s almost half of a 300 point team. The Fantastic Forces versions span 82 to 110 points. But the IC versions run a mere 64 to 87 points – leaving lots of room for team building. Each of these three almost “sub-rookie” versions of the good Doctor have most of what we’d expect from him; Phasing, Incap, TK, ES/D, Barrier, RCE, Enhancement, Support, PC and a 10 range. All that’s really missing is Psychic Blast. Out of all them, however, the Experienced version with the Defenders TA seems to be the best value.

http://www.hcrealms.com/units/ic124.jpg

#125 E Dr. Strange
Team: Defenders
Range: 10 :bolt:
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal610162691526814257142571215712146121KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

For a prominent villain, Sabretooth has received surprisingly little attention. He arrived on the scene in IC, got a new REV in Ultimates, and then was remade on the cheap in the Universe Starter. With only eight to choose from, finding the best is relatively easy and regrettably it’s LE Victor Creed, the single most expensive figure from Infinity Challenge. The good news is that this doesn’t mean the same thing it did a year ago. Thanks to the hiatus, Creed’s price has dropped from nearly $100 to less than $50. So what does all that cash get you? The ability to survive. After those two opening clicks of Charge, Victor has four clicks of Stealth to keep him safe from ranged attacks. Four clicks of Regen make the use of the power highly probable and all of the Blades give him excellent damage potential.

http://www.hcrealms.com/units/ic167.jpg

#167 LE Victor Creed
Team: Brotherhood
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal810163610152691425913258122481114711147111KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Rounding out "What you Need" from Infinity Challenge we have LE Hulk. Over the years we’ve had no less than 23 different Hulk figures, but few can compare with that Playstation Magazine mail away. First and foremost, LE Hulk has the best paint job of any Hulk ever. He even puts my Masterpiece Hulk to shame. The detail is amazing: each tooth and toenail are individually painted. So is his tongue. The shading helps to bring out his muscle definition. Some may find his pose to be a little silly or unfortunate; they say it looks like he's had too much Taco Bell, they call him "Constipated Hulk" and worse. But none of that can take away from the inherent beauty of the figure. And then there’s his dial. For 96 points you get eight useful clicks with damage peaking at four and attack topping out at 12. When I don’t want to play this Hulk, I picked up enough extra copies of it to put one of these sculpts on the Rampaging Hulk dial and the Green Scar dial.

http://www.hcrealms.com/units/ic199.jpg

#199 LE Hulk
Team: No Affiliation
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal671418714288142810152910153910153101116410111741012173611153KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

That’s all for this week. See you next week when we look at Hypertime. Thanks for reading!

Nightwing-fan
06/29/2009, 12:35
I like the ones you listed. But for me you forgot the only figure from the set that I still use on a regular basis. Veteran Cyclops.

He still is the best version from any set. The experience version is also excellent, but I love the vet. He leads my version of an Xmen team.

Pepsirox08
06/29/2009, 12:44
Yea Victor Creed was $150 last time i checked... and I check often... and on this list, he in the hulk are the only 2 i dont have, so i guess im doing pretty well! and looking at that hulk, i don't think i will be buying him...

In hypertime im expecting a good review for E/V of Hawk!

Other mentions:
Rookie Harley Quinn
Vet Nightwing
Vet Flash
Desaad
Michael Jon Carter & Ted Kord!

jackstar7
06/29/2009, 12:45
Maybe a few of the most "fun" pieces? Like Cyke and Thanos?

I still and always will love that Hercules. And I'm hoping to pick up a bunch of these fun guys soon.

invisibo
06/29/2009, 12:56
you know, I found a universe starter for approximately 10 bucks on ebay (shipping included) and I think the sabertooth from that set is easily just as playable (plus you get all those other tremendous starter figs).

that 65 dollars saved can be a nice dinner for two and some drinks.

JRS4
06/29/2009, 12:57
<!-- main error message --> You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ol_Dut again.

Apparently I still can't give you rep even though It has been months since I have given anyone rep.

thanks for the article. Good read and I like the choices you made.

ol_Dut
06/29/2009, 13:08
I like the ones you listed. But for me you forgot the only figure from the set that I still use on a regular basis. Veteran Cyclops.

He still is the best version from any set. The experience version is also excellent, but I love the vet. He leads my version of an Xmen team.

You know, I was really torn on that figure. He was my Cyclops of choice for quite awhile, but a couple of things held me back on him. First, in order to use RS, he's only doing 2 damage, and for a figure that is essentially 80 points, that seems low. Second, one hit for three damage and this dude is heading back to the mansion for some healing. Now I mostly use the DR Cyclops or MM Cyc.

cfarns0610
06/29/2009, 13:11
This is a great list but there is a few you forgot. V Bullseye at 43 points is nasty, then you have the REV Ultron who is still played today, especially the experienced with the Doom TA. Next we have the REV Klaw set who is solid all the way, following the REV Black Panther who looks great and is a great utility piece. The REV Firelord is a must have. They offer so much top half fire power and is an instant target because of how easy he is to heal if you don't KO him right away. Then we have the hard hitting brick wall named Juggernaut. His REVU is solid all the way down. Big attack, damage and top half defense makes him so Dangerous. While you can fly around the unique the REV has to do all the labor. But once your full strength Juggernaut finally gets into the battle he is a force to be reckoned with. Then I will finish with the U Wolverine and Elektra. High attack and Blades, Claws, Fangs, and real low points, what a barain for 64 & 36 points. All in all I love this whole set and I think I can say that I have played every figure from it atleast once. Nightmare, Thanos, and Quasar are GREAT as well.

anonym0use
06/29/2009, 13:24
U Wasp is a great one to have as well.

Jarimy123
06/29/2009, 13:53
Thanks for the review - finally! haha.

I gotta also toss in my vote for REV Bullseye. Such a cheap fig for such a great attack and RCE.

Also, um where is Firelord? Left off because he's too obvious? Most likely, but still REV is a must have to this day.

I also really like the V Magneto.

Ya know for having such crappy defense, this set still has some of the best figures in the game. Mainly because of the figs having such high attacks.

Great read!

Jarimy123
06/29/2009, 14:01
Yea Victor Creed was $150 last time i checked... and I check often... and on this list, he in the hulk are the only 2 i dont have, so i guess im doing pretty well! and looking at that hulk, i don't think i will be buying him...

In hypertime im expecting a good review for E/V of Hawk!

Other mentions:
Rookie Harley Quinn
Vet Nightwing
Vet Flash
Desaad
Michael Jon Carter & Ted Kord!

So exactly how often to do you check on Victor Creed's price? Last two ebay items for victor creed:

$57.29
$60.00/$75.00 buy it now - did not even sell

So yea I think your $150 might be just a tiny bit off...

konasavage
06/29/2009, 14:02
Great look back, i am suprised that there was no mention of Fire Lord.

Nickel97
06/29/2009, 14:16

Leadership, two arrow incap, free move, 19 def... pre NAAT/FCCF she was probably the most efficient figure in the entire game. I'd take her over any one in the "pit crew" under the old rules.

U Elektra is another one that's a beast for the points.

I'd play U Wasp, U Electra and LE Raksor (skrull) in 100 point games. They were brutal (especially if you hit Leadership.

Superclone
06/29/2009, 14:53
V Cyclops with armor piercing is a surprisingly mean figure. With 11 attack, 3 targets, a workable 13 range on the first two clicks, oh man can he be a nasty surprise in his 1990s pouch look :-)

The V Captain America is surprisingly fun with LMD and CPlan. It makes him frustrating to deal with for sure.

Finally I have to put out a shout to my favourite version of Electra. Sexy, sais and 11 atk with blades and stealth? Holy #### that is so much fun for 36 pts.

Mr. Pilkington
06/29/2009, 15:22
I'm still a fan of Rookie Blizzard and LE Operative 128.

Blizzard is a nice disposable PW piece. His 9 AV gives him decent hit chances and he only has 1 natural damage anyway so you don't worry about trying to get a single-target or bloat him with Nova Blast. If the enemy ignores him or hits him lightly he might still have Barrier to help out and if the enemy focuses 5 damage on him then they only got 35 points. Not a bad piece if you don't worry about expending your resources as you play.

Operative 128 is a great swarm team leader, even more so if you have wild-cards. 16 points for a HYDRA TA Leadership piece who might be able to ping for 2 damage. If he isn't KOed in his first hit he quickly adapts to being MM fodder or mobile blocking terrain as needed. Add in that he is a spy and you could get cheap leadership to boost all the new spies in SI.

bill4935
06/29/2009, 15:44
I thought I would be the first one to mention Blizzard, but Mr. P beat me to it. My preference is for the Vet. Not only will his 11AV Pulse Wave hit and damage almost anyone, but he's the only figure in Heroclix who can put up a Barrier every turn for 5 consecutive turns. If you can't think of a good use for that, you haven't played on the Prison Map enough.

I would also like to direct people to Veteran Skrull Warrior. Still a very annoying 17 points. The gobs of Enhancement around make his 8 range useful, and the fact that there are bigger and better minions around (Doombot, SIN SHIELD Sniper, LE Henchman) means that he is almost always underestimated.

Apart from those two, the only other character I use from IC anymore is LE Yellowjacket. Part good luck piece, part unbelievable Defense Value.

eshuroger
06/29/2009, 16:15
Nice article. Though, seeing the title, the first thing to leap to mind was U Elektra. Kind of nice that she wasn't mentioned though, as her use is maybe too obvious, and doesn't need a write-up to explain her being there.

The other thing was E Captain America, though it's the feat: Contingency Plan, that makes him a figure to have.

tidge
06/29/2009, 16:20
Vet Pyro: Reasonable stats, decent TA, and one of the best/affordable barrier pieces in the game. Feats up nicely with Trick Shot and easily Inspired by pieces like...

Magneto (R/E/V) The best versions to which to attach inspiring command. One of the best "bait" pieces in the game.

U Cyclops: While outclassed by the FC Cyclops, this is the budget-friendly piece for truly budget-conscious force builds.

Victor Creed is overpriced in every possible way. You will get more mileage (and more KOs) with the Experienced Sabretooth.

Sentinel: At 100 points, this piece was always a threat to any non-swarm team. Too bad the rules were changed to allow OUTWIT of the CAPTURE ability (sounds like somebody got punked by Sentinels to me!)

I disagree with the 'must have' claims for Dr. Strange and Vision...by that reckoning Ultron should have been included as well.

Jarimy123
06/29/2009, 16:33
Well the way the article was written it included the REV for most of the figs - and I would totally agree with Pyro. The R is one of the best barrier pieces, two of them on your team for 54 points? Sweet. Can do damage and can barrier when needed, I love that piece.

Rurouni KJS
06/29/2009, 16:44
I like that this list ISN'T all the usual suspects. Sure, R Black Panther was the cat's meow back in the day, but now we expect a bit more from our stealthy Outwitters. If you have the extra 10 points, AA Question's got it all over him.

Ol_Dut's also giving love to the bricks, who are newly playable in the F4 ruleset and better-priced than most of the newer figures. Despite lower DV numbers, his examples can still take a hit and keep going...something that IC Firelord really can't do anymore since the Support power got nerfed back in Danger Room.

Jarimy123
06/29/2009, 16:51
Firelord is still one of the best pieces around, maybe not defensively, but is an offensive monster. For such cheap points his attack/damage output is just awesome.

themonkey
06/29/2009, 18:19
Great article! As someone who got into the game recently, it's daunting looking at the old sets and trying to figure out who could still contribute. The article (and the additional comments) are very insightful.

I can't wait for the next installment.

Marshal Law
06/29/2009, 18:21
I like that this list ISN'T all the usual suspects.

I was impressed by that (even though 'the best of Infinity Challenge' demands otherwise), but the likes of Hercules was always routinely considered underappreciated and Vision has been consistently overrated.

If I was to seriously step off the reservation, and ignore all the obvious likes of Pyro and Bullseye and Elektra and Firelord and Black Panther and the rest of the ones we know on a first name basis, I'd look at the following:

Rookie Controller. 31 points for what looks like a chump mind control figure, which is what an unsuspecting opponent will think when you toss him into the mix as a tie up figure. Then suddenly a little feedback damage (or a small wack) latter, and suddenly there is this mid dial close combat beast in their midst. Once the pain and panic goes away (Controller is unlikely to swing the game, but its not unusual for him to inflict confusion and damage), the realization that such a cheap a Jeckyl & Hyde transformation still left the rest of the team to be dealt with sets in.

Experienced Captain America. Frankly none of the IC incarnations of Cap either fit the comic bill or stood out as grandly playable. But the dial full of Stealth actually put a spot of merit on an otherwise mediocre pedigree, for 47 points giving a leadership utility piece some stealth sniper capability.

Experienced Quicksilver / Veteran Whirlwind. Yes, everyone and his canine companion played the old Perplex & toss with Veteran Quicksilver. But somehow there just wasn't as much love for his cheaper (and team ability packing) Experienced version, mostly because of that +1 attack and second click of two damage. But never discount the worth of a suicide tie up piece to get into position on its own dime (or try to get away on its own dime), and never put too much stock in its ability to be around long enough to worry about pushing for 4 more damage. And as for Whirlwind, paying 13 more points for -1 attack is cause for hesitation, but a natural 3 damage can be mighty tempting. And the temptation grows each time it pays off. Don't count this one out, just because Quicksilver looks like the obvious better buy.

Marshal Law
06/29/2009, 18:23
Vet Pyro: Reasonable stats, decent TA, and one of the best/affordable barrier pieces in the game.

Usually ended up packing the Experienced, as the few extra points for the Vet was more than I was typically willing to spend for a Barrier fig with tertiary attack ability. Especially given the trade up from Rookie to Experienced outshines what you get in the next bump up.

Victor Creed is overpriced in every possible way. You will get more mileage (and more KOs) with the Experienced Sabretooth.

Charge followed by Stealth. That was what made that figure work, especially after Auto Regen was made. The Experienced didn't have the Charge option, the Veteran was a complete sitting duck after Charge ran out. Victor could shred and then (by push or damage) gain some defense against the inevitable range retaliation. Over time Victor was outclassed by better Charge & Blades figures (mostly cheaper and more disposable options), but IMO he still remains the most versatile and survivable of the IC blades figures.

I disagree with the 'must have' claims for Dr. Strange and Vision...by that reckoning Ultron should have been included as well.

Still can't get behind supporting Vision. A consistent 2 damage for over a hundred points just means the stink never stops. That inability to do serious damage combined with that rapidly crumbling defense means any match up at close or range is probably not going to go well. And yes, for the points Rookie Ultron owns Vision (at range Vision can't punch through the Invuln, and trying to get close means Vision will probably get clocked twice before throwing down with an object, and thus subsequently lose the resulting race for the KO line).

wintremute
06/29/2009, 19:04
If The_Le had made this article and entitled it "The 6 best figures in IC", how many angry posts would we have by now?

WELCOME BACK OL_DUT. I sorely missed your articles. And now I know that jackstar has a man-crush on Hercules!

Slade Wilson
06/29/2009, 20:29
good review, i hope you do one for each set, also you always have the best avatars...where does he get those wonderful toys!

Monitor616
06/29/2009, 21:31
If The_Le had made this article and entitled it "The 6 best figures in IC", how many angry posts would we have by now?

It's not the subject matter necessarily with TheLe's articles, but rather the tone of them.

Moving on. Nice list and article, but I feel that the re-makes of Vision, Hercules, and Strange make their pieces from IC truly obsolete.

WakandaMan
06/30/2009, 01:30
Nice article. Fully agree with Herc and Strange making the list despite their excellent remakes (although I think the new Vision dials are better). I am horrified that you left of Black Panther though, and also agree with those singing the praises of Vet Bullseye and Firelord. They really should have made it on. :)

mr_moneypenny
06/30/2009, 01:38
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ol_Dut again.

Man, I STILL run into these notices! :)
More writing from ol_Dut! Woo-hoo!
Unfortunately, with the *ahem* 'hiatus' we and Heroclix presently are faced with, I have not played in FAR too long a time, and reading this article certainly brought back fond memories of playing with good friends. Even some non-plastic, un-dialed ones, too! :)
Just a couple of my favorite IC pieces are:

LE Yellowjacket. Always have had either luck or fun (but usually both) when using this critter. WAAAAAY back in the day, he incapped an OWAW Superman through his entire dial and won the game for me. I used him not too many games ago on a 'Brute' theme team, and although he didn't last too long (curse you, Sinister Syndicate! :) ), was still able to cause beads of perspiration and lines of consternation to form on my opponent's brow...

E Klaw. Just a really solid figure through and through: wildcard, versatile (offense or defense, whatever you need him to be), useful through the majority of his dial (not always the biggest strength of IC pieces). There's a lot of love for him 'round 'bout these parts...

Rookie Whirlwind. Six clicks of life, great movement, twenty points. I will say that again; six clicks of life, great movement, twenty points.

And even though he's been mentioned several times already, E Pyro seriously has to be on my IC VIP list. Always love this guy (Marshal Law summed up why I prefer the E to the V very nicely in his second post), and preferably with the MoE misprint. ;)

Thanks for putting this great read together, and I eagerly await future installments!
Be well,
-jason

Mr.x_20xx
06/30/2009, 01:51
One of the things I like about Infinity set is the number of figs you can suprisingly throw on is Thundering Blow. Works quite well on Firelord, Nightmare, and Ultron.

tyroclix
06/30/2009, 06:27
Love the idea for the article.

There are some solid figure still hanging around from the granddaddy of sets.

You can't go wrong with Jean Grey - for TK and Black Panther still is the cheapest Outwitter.

Presuming this is the end of new sets of HeroClix, the older sets really become useful for unmade and support characters.

For example, E Annihilus - Beefy stats early on, M.O.D. TA, tanks quickly - what is he good for? Doombots that are a much greater threat then the lame CT versions. Now heroes will tremble from the onslaught of these running shot machines.

Hyde - what a great cheap power-grunt. Want some monsters, Savage Land mutates, Morlocks or Deviants

R Rogue - want a generic zombie - grounded, Steal Energy and "free" move makes swarms of these bad-boys come at you like a Michael Jackson video.

R Bullseye - want a SHIELD or military sniper with some lethality? He is your man.

E Vulture - thugs with jet-packs for Batman or Spider-Man to try and stop.

Elektra makes a much more potent ninja or Guild of Assassins.

Wolverine can be a beefier Wolfsbane.

And the Thugs, Criminals or whatever generics from the set actually make good bystanders like Aunt May, J. Jonah Jameson, Moira MacTaggert, etc.

Even if you aren't into swapping sculpts. Controller has a nifty dial, Bullseye is still a threat and V Whirlwind can still get the job done.

KLAW is still a great figure and E Hulk is the only Defender version we have. And Elektra is still amazingly awesome.

But if you are into mods or want to flesh out some storylines, consider these older sets as a great resource.

Shuttle
06/30/2009, 07:21
Love the idea for the article.

There are some solid figure still hanging around from the granddaddy of sets.

You can't go wrong with Jean Grey - for TK and Black Panther still is the cheapest Outwitter.

Presuming this is the end of new sets of HeroClix, the older sets really become useful for unmade and support characters.

For example, E Annihilus - Beefy stats early on, M.O.D. TA, tanks quickly - what is he good for? Doombots that are a much greater threat then the lame CT versions. Now heroes will tremble from the onslaught of these running shot machines.

Hyde - what a great cheap power-grunt. Want some monsters, Savage Land mutates, Morlocks or Deviants

R Rogue - want a generic zombie - grounded, Steal Energy and "free" move makes swarms of these bad-boys come at you like a Michael Jackson video.

R Bullseye - want a SHIELD or military sniper with some lethality? He is your man.

E Vulture - thugs with jet-packs for Batman or Spider-Man to try and stop.

Elektra makes a much more potent ninja or Guild of Assassins.

Wolverine can be a beefier Wolfsbane.

And the Thugs, Criminals or whatever generics from the set actually make good bystanders like Aunt May, J. Jonah Jameson, Moira MacTaggert, etc.

Even if you aren't into swapping sculpts. Controller has a nifty dial, Bullseye is still a threat and V Whirlwind can still get the job done.

KLAW is still a great figure and E Hulk is the only Defender version we have. And Elektra is still amazingly awesome.

But if you are into mods or want to flesh out some storylines, consider these older sets as a great resource.

I was already considering modding my Hercules set into Achilles and the other Greek heroes who were fighting alongside the Olympian gods in the Ares limited series.

Jarimy123
06/30/2009, 07:47
Please don't compare ol_Duts reviews with thele's, they don't even come close to coming close. However I would say, and laugh while saying it, that if ol_Dut would have written this article, and then told thele to say he wrote it, people probably would have disagreed with everything said hahaha.

Nightwing-fan
06/30/2009, 07:49
You know, I was really torn on that figure. He was my Cyclops of choice for quite awhile, but a couple of things held me back on him. First, in order to use RS, he's only doing 2 damage, and for a figure that is essentially 80 points, that seems low. Second, one hit for three damage and this dude is heading back to the mansion for some healing. Now I mostly use the DR Cyclops or MM Cyc.

To me the DR Cyclops is good, especially starting with 3 damage. Also huge in his favor is the points 40 to 78 for the original vet. I have used him but I still like the IC Vet better. They both have 10 ranges but IC does have a higher attack 11 compared to 10 for the DR version. I guess it comes down to what you want more. Having a extra 38 points for another fig or cards, or having an 11 attack.

Neither myself or my two boys are thrilled with the MM version since he only having an 8 range. I think he has been used once, twice maybe in the sealed events he came from.

If any Cyclops is hit for 3 he's limping back to Jean or Emma for some tender lovin care.

Your point is valid. DR Cyclops is probably the best one overall. But just using the IC figures I still think the vet is an excellent choice for any team.

flakbait
06/30/2009, 08:22
I still love the unique Wasp from IC, one of the few figures from that set I still play. Her leadership makes her handy in the early game, and her huge defense and incap make her a pretty decent tie-up piece.

Any of the Magnetos are great, too. Lots of TK, tons of leadership, pretty decent opening stats, and can fit on either X-Men or Brotherhood teams.

wintremute
06/30/2009, 08:50
Nice list and article, but I feel that the re-makes of Vision, Hercules, and Strange make their pieces from IC truly obsolete.

How can you say a solid figure like the old Hercules is obsolete? It's still solid. And if you have less than 100 points left to spend and want him on your team, then the new one simply won't work. One of the positive from the old REV-in-every-set style was multiple points to choose and build from.

1clickbraindmg
06/30/2009, 10:16
Sentinel: At 100 points, this piece was always a threat to any non-swarm team. Too bad the rules were changed to allow OUTWIT of the CAPTURE ability (sounds like somebody got punked by Sentinels to me!)

Capture can't be painlessly Outwitted and dismissed -- there's a roll involved, and a chance of 'failing to Outwit.'

Rurouni KJS
06/30/2009, 10:36
If any Cyclops is hit for 3 he's limping back to Jean or Emma for some tender lovin care.

All except the M+M Rookie. He can actually still fight really well 3 deep into his dial with a 9 AV and 2 dmg + RCE.

Monitor616
06/30/2009, 11:53
How can you say a solid figure like the old Hercules is obsolete? It's still solid. And if you have less than 100 points left to spend and want him on your team, then the new one simply won't work. One of the positive from the old REV-in-every-set style was multiple points to choose and build from.

Old Herc is missing a few things that New Herc isn't.

1) Move and Attack. No Charge? Well, enjoy running up to that opposing piece and waiting to attack while I run in and attack.

2) No Invulnerability. This one is actually forgivable, as Invulnerability was only considered for people like Thor or Thing at this point. It's still no excuse for...

3) Low Defense Values. Hell, that Exp Dr Strange has a 16 plus ES/D! Yet all Herc gets is a 15 starting out that eventually drops to an 11. I'm not asking for the 18 that SI Herc has, but at least a 16 would be step in the right direction.

As for REV, I'm not opening that can of moldy worms. You might prefer REVLE, while I prefer CURSR. End of discussion.

batfink
06/30/2009, 12:21
Blizzard was the first REV I bought off of Ebay. People round these parts didn't understand until then how effective Running Shot & Pulse Wave can be.

Nightwing-fan
06/30/2009, 12:41
All except the M+M Rookie. He can actually still fight really well 3 deep into his dial with a 9 AV and 2 dmg + RCE.

Yes even M&M Cyclops is running back to get healed.

He may have those values you listed but you forgot to say 7 movement with no powers, 15 defense with no powers and he only an 8 range. I still would take the IC vet or DR over him.

Either of them would be better then the M&M rookie.

On his 4 clix IC vet has an 8AV and 1 dmg w/RCE. The DR also has the 8AV and 1 dmg w/RCE. He also has Energy Shield deflection on his defense of 14. Both of them does have a 10 range. They could sit outside the rookies range and pop him off.

The best one of the Cyclops after taking 3 damage is the Age of Apocalypse one, but just like all the others he will be turning tail and running back to get healed up.

theanalogkid
06/30/2009, 12:44
I have to agree with all those choices as I still play with those as well as the ones mentioned. My best friends cringes whenever Mr. Hyde and the Controller hit the field.

wintremute
06/30/2009, 14:25
Old Herc is missing a few things that New Herc isn't.

1) Move and Attack. No Charge? Well, enjoy running up to that opposing piece and waiting to attack while I run in and attack.

2) No Invulnerability. This one is actually forgivable, as Invulnerability was only considered for people like Thor or Thing at this point. It's still no excuse for...

3) Low Defense Values. Hell, that Exp Dr Strange has a 16 plus ES/D! Yet all Herc gets is a 15 starting out that eventually drops to an 11. I'm not asking for the 18 that SI Herc has, but at least a 16 would be step in the right direction.

As for REV, I'm not opening that can of moldy worms. You might prefer REVLE, while I prefer CURSR. End of discussion.

And again...old Herc is also missing about 60 points that the new Herc has. FOR HIS POINTS, the old Herc still swings a big stick.

As for REVLE vs CURSR, I much prefer the newer system with more character choices. However, it's not perfect. One of the advantages of the old REV system was you had more options (within a character) to build your team.

normalview
06/30/2009, 15:15
The best thing about the old Herc, I think, is that for just 10 points more Haymaker turns him into a total monster... and even with the pushing damage, that consistent dial keeps him alive and dishing out the hurt. For less than 100 points, E or V Herc can dish out 6 clicks without the aid of Perplex or objects... and if you want to be even more brutal, Thunderbolt the Vet (still under a 100 points, by the way) to MoE and just keep using Haymaker!

Sure, he'll go down pretty fast with all that pushing and unavoidable damage on top of the low defense, but for less than a third of your conventional build total, he is a total wrecking ball with lots of room left for other figures. And if you are in a larger build, Herc probably isn't even your biggest threat! Definitely my most played figure from Infinity Challenge

Nightwing-fan
06/30/2009, 15:44
I remember when IC came out I just never could get into playing Hercules. I have seen alot of comment about him and will have to take a better look to see what I missed.

I remember my original team when IC came out. R & E SHIELD Medic's, Exp. Dr, Strange, Exp Firelord, Vet Bullseye, & Vet Cyclops.

I didnt have a solitarie close combat fighter on it. The figure that seemed to always give me trouble until I knocked him off his first clix was the rookie Black Panther.

I won our first two tourneys with that team. I got a Sentinel the first week since we didnt have LE prizes yet and the next week I won LE Jean Grey. Our venues first LE prize.

Those were the days. The start of 7 years of a whole lotta fun.

AdamWarlock
06/30/2009, 15:55
I totally get the keeping things lean, but...

Veteran Bullseye
Exp Firelord
ROOKIE HYDRA OPERATIVE (sooo many uses for 9 points)
Veteran Blizzard

Thank you and good day :-)

Monitor616
06/30/2009, 18:20
And again...old Herc is also missing about 60 points that the new Herc has. FOR HIS POINTS, the old Herc still swings a big stick.

As for REVLE vs CURSR, I much prefer the newer system with more character choices. However, it's not perfect. One of the advantages of the old REV system was you had more options (within a character) to build your team.

Well, we all have our preferences. I happen to think that his lack of mobility and low defense numbers drag down his usefulness regardless of cost. you do not. It's my thought that we'll probably just have to agree to disagree on the matter.

cfarns0610
06/30/2009, 23:10
Throw a 116 point U Spiderman next to ol 67 point E Herc and you have a free moving caravan of bulldozers. Stick some other characters with energy shield deflection such as 20pt R Whilwind and 24 E Quicksilver a 43 pt V Bullseye and a 27 R Black Panther and you have 297 points worth of fun. I think I am going to ask the guys at my venue to throw a old school IC tourney together using new rules. I am all geeked out now. I love the mention of the Controller and Mr Hyde.

batjester
06/30/2009, 23:18
Some good choices there, but I'd agree with the ones saying you missed a few

V Blizzard 11AV+running shot+pulsewave=money
U Electra - great fig for the points
V Whirlwind - Still a favorite

grey_zealot
07/01/2009, 12:21
Blizzard was the first REV I bought off of Ebay. People round these parts didn't understand until then how effective Running Shot & Pulse Wave can be.

Heh, agree.
---------------

Dial design back then seems a little quirky, in retrospect, doesn't it?

Spider-Man got plenty of Leap/climb, but no Super Senses.
Daredevil got plenty of Super Senses but no Leap/Climb.

Blizzard gets "icicles of death" with Pulse Wave, so you figure by the time Iceman pops up (in Xplosion) he'd have Pulse Wave too. No such luck.

---------------
Great article, ol_Dut. Looking forward to more. You going to do CT next? Or HT?

wintremute
07/01/2009, 14:35
Well, we all have our preferences. I happen to think that his lack of mobility and low defense numbers drag down his usefulness regardless of cost. you do not. It's my thought that we'll probably just have to agree to disagree on the matter.

"Agree to disagree"? That sounds like something that fool Richards would say. Frankly, I'm a little bit busy right now dealing with the Iranian Ambassador complaining about the voting machines that Latverian Voting Systems International supplied. Those machines have worked well for the last 40 years in Latveria, I highly doubt there were any problems with them in Iran.

But I digress. To the point, I haven't the time to teach you proper European manners. Please send your address to our embassy that we may send a Doombot...I mean a parcel... of textbooks to you.

Monitor616
07/02/2009, 04:27
"Agree to disagree"? That sounds like something that fool Richards would say. Frankly, I'm a little bit busy right now dealing with the Iranian Ambassador complaining about the voting machines that Latverian Voting Systems International supplied. Those machines have worked well for the last 40 years in Latveria, I highly doubt there were any problems with them in Iran.

But I digress. To the point, I haven't the time to teach you proper European manners. Please send your address to our embassy that we may send a Doombot...I mean a parcel... of textbooks to you.

Hey, how'd you know Reed Richards is my diplomatic adviser?

bluesummers
07/02/2009, 17:19
There are a number of figs still usable, as has been said, thanks to the high attack values. Defense of low, yeah, but a well timed strike can make all the difference... I probably wouldn't have more than one IC piece on a team now. Use them as 'Glass Cannon' attackers.
I've got V Ultron running in coming weeks. AP on him, and he's still nasty with those 3 bolts.

admironheart
07/03/2009, 08:00
normalview...I used to give Haymaker to Herc...But the best thing Hercules has is a good AV+ Damage. I like to make that even better. I almost always use the 3D computer with him. That +1 to AV makes him a 13 thru 11 attack for 5+ damage for half his dial. And it is free.

Purchase two of them and you can save the change and let the SI version charge in all he wants...The IC tag team will still make the newer one hit the mat!!:)

I especially agree with the LE YellowJacket, Sentinel, E Captain America and V Magneto

wes

normalview
07/03/2009, 08:29
normalview...I used to give Haymaker to Herc...But the best thing Hercules has is a good AV+ Damage. I like to make that even better. I almost always use the 3D computer with him. That +1 to AV makes him a 13 thru 11 attack for 5+ damage for half his dial. And it is free.

Sure, there are all kind of good special objects to use with Herc. My favorites are the Desk and the Tombstone since they can really help his DV.

However, the problem with objects is they can be destroyed (or, worse, used against you) and Herc can't be carried if he is holding an object. Sure, Haymaker costs some points, but he doesn't have to use it (especially if you want to make sure the hit connects) and it can never be countered/used against you or impede his mobilty.

ibeatdrew
07/04/2009, 12:09

Definitely, I remember back in the day a lot of figures had trouble nailing her 19 defense, and if you put her in/behind terrain 20 from range. Back then that was a hard hit especially if your opponent had some characters with some clix on them already. She was a good taxi (though kinda expensive) and a good tie up piece to get someone stuck for some snipe attacks. A great piece that I played so much broke twice and had to buy a back up.

Probably been 2 or more years since she'd been on one of my teams now though.

Stunning Blow would be a good feat for her now. She might just make it on my next team now.

Thanks for bringing up some of these older guys!

Rurouni KJS
07/04/2009, 12:34
Yes even M&M Cyclops is running back to get healed.

He may have those values you listed but you forgot to say 7 movement with no powers, 15 defense with no powers and he only an 8 range. I still would take the IC vet or DR over him.

Either of them would be better then the M&M rookie.

On his 4 clix IC vet has an 8AV and 1 dmg w/RCE. The DR also has the 8AV and 1 dmg w/RCE. He also has Energy Shield deflection on his defense of 14. Both of them does have a 10 range. They could sit outside the rookies range and pop him off.

This isn't a discussion of which Cyke beats which in a duel. We're talking about which of these is best when hit for 3.

But IC Vet cost a lot more. You BETTER run him home for a medic at that state, if you can. And both he and DR have a lower AV for less damage on that 4th click, so yeah, little point in keeping them in the fight.

M+M Rookie, OTOH, has the best balance of good cost, early mobility, good damage and low stat-decay down the dial of any version of the character, making him the first Cyclops I reach for. Then DR. Then (if I even had them) it'd be a toss between the Ult. and IC Vets.

thanosrules
07/05/2009, 08:39

Had HC not basically neutered EE to 1 & only 1 damage, I'd be inclined to agree w/ including V Cyclops.

I used to send out a cannon fodder piece as bait & park Cyke & 2 IC SHIELD agents (using the SHIELD damage pump) atop a building & pummel w/ EE. Add some strategically placed splash damage & it could get pretty nasty really quick. So much so that a couple players dreaded going after that "Death Star". My mobility stunk but I had fun while it lasted.

mattsolo
07/20/2009, 15:59
Liked the article but Dut please change your avatar for those of us with small children and supervisors.

JDKenada
07/23/2009, 08:40
When I think Infinity Challenge, the first two pieces that come to mind are Hercules and Vet Blizzard. I just love Blizz and his ability to keep on Pulse Waving (or tossing Barrier eventually). People actually have to go out of their way to get this guy or they get ticked at him. For the points, you could do worse things.

For 36 points, Unique Elektra's a treat as well. She's pretty much just a big name version of the INDY set (Stealth/Blades), but she's deadly.

I also think the Vet Henchman is one of the best generics ever made. You need to do 5 damage to kill him. For 13 points! Just a great nuisance. Wish I never got rid of mine.

Also R Pyro is a pain in the rear now with Construct.

I'll close by echoing thoughts on U Wasp and that 19 defense. T-bolting to Defenders makes her fun.