PDA

View Full Version : Comic Accurate COMIC ACCURATE: The Doom Patrol

lancelot
02/08/2010, 01:45
http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=669&pictureid=7912

Featuring:THE DOOM PATROL
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/1380/3001f.jpg

One of the few Silver Age DC teams that has gotten plenty of rewrites, retcons, and shake-ups over the years despite their relatively static roster, take a look inside to see the first incarnation of one of DC's most neglected teams!

lancelot
02/08/2010, 01:46
DC's very own X-Men rip-offs, or rather the team that the X-Men ripped off (the debate continues even today!), has gone through so many storylines that made it seem like a bad opera, killing off characters only to bring them back later. Heck, they even had an issue where the readers decided if the Doom Patrol would die or not! It all began with this team, the first Doom Patrol line-up that would eventually streak into obscurity...or stardom! YOU DECIDE!

Obviously heading the team is the titular Niles Caulder, better known as THE CHIEF:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bdVR-JIDi2g/SF7PclK7ESI/AAAAAAAAG-Y/Is2UWmDNPo0/s400/niles-caulder%27s-pecs.jpg
cr036 R Chief
Team: Outsiders
Range: 0 :bolt:
Keywords: Doom Patrol, Scientist
m-boota-fistd-starburstg-starburst6915159151591414814148141KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO(Speed) Dr. Caulder: The Chief can use Support.
(Attack) Manipulate: The Chief can use Leadership. If Leadership would allow you to add an action to your action total for the turn, you can instead put a Manipulate token on the Chief's character card if there are two or fewer Manipulate tokens on the card. When another friendly character would take pushing damage, you can remove a Manipulate token from the Chief's character card and roll a d6; on a result of 3-6, the character ignores pushing damage.
(Defense) Strategist: The Chief can use Perplex and Mastermind (he can deal the damage to a friendly character that has a higher point value if that character shares a keyword with the Chief); damage transfered using Strategist may not later be dealt to the Chief.

A swiss army knife in his own right, your team goes only as far as the Chief does. Through his Manipulate, your team doesn't push half the time. Should they take the the push damage, the Chief has Support to get them right back top-dial. Furthermore, his Outwit & Perplex combo helps out the squad mightly, allowing him to equip Brilliant Tactician and affect the entire battlefield. Mastermind only lends to the dial's longevity if you can shirk off the damage to a lowly minion, most likely Robotman. As soon as he goes down, don't be surprised to find the rest of the Doom Patrol floundering.

With a presence larger than life, literally, DC has sued someone over the use of her name, I give you Rita Farr, starring as ELASTI-WOMAN:
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/thumb/1/1b/Rita_Farr_(New_Earth)_003.jpg/150px-Rita_Farr_(New_Earth)_003.jpg
gi004 V Rita Farr
Range: 4 :bolt:
Keywords: Celebrity, Doom Patrol
m-boota-fistd-giantg-giant891736101636916279152881519716297172KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO
Serving a role no other than tertiary attacker and super tie-up, Rita Farr can serve a bigger role, depending on the commitment you give towards her. Should you pump up her Defense to even just an 18, it might serve her well enough to take incoming attacks from all over the map due to her Giant status. Hindering terrain bumps it up to a hard-to-hit 19DV. Charge, with the Giant status, will allow her to get to wherever a soft target is and make her 3 damage stick through Chief's Outwit. Just don't be afraid to park her in the middle of the map, taking the heat off the rest of your team. You'd be surprised at her effectiveness, especially when she hits her Plasticity clicks: just send her on a kamikaze run and let the rest of your team clean up.

Not sure who has more issues, but I'd think the one that keeps robot doubles around does, Clifford Steele as ROBOTMAN:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_woU5s2fwbZo/Rf0zL3CqK-I/AAAAAAAACKg/bFI_aQl7kYY/s400/Robotman_(Steele).jpg
or009 V Robotman
Keywords: Doom Patrol, Robot
m-boota-fistd-starburstg-starburst99183891748916361016379153781527814267142KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO
A very tough and sturdy dial represents the machination that is Steele. The opening-click of Leap/Climb is awesome as it allows him to get wherever he wants and through the Chief's Manipulate, he can push freely and destroy targets with 5 damage through Super Strength. Mind his lowly AV, though. A dial full of damage reducers and late-dial Leap/Climb will also keep him into the fight long enough to high-tail it back to the Chief for a round of armor repairs. The middle Charge clicks lend him some mobility after whiffing on the Manipulate roll or being hit for some damage. However, the 10AV click shows up only once and a little too late, so be sure to shore him up with the Chief as often as you can.

The other person with issues, hiding behind a mask of bandages, Lawrence Trainor as the NEGATIVE MAN:
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/thumb/c/c7/Negative_Man_1.JPG/200px-Negative_Man_1.JPG
or093 U Negative Woman
Keywords: Checkmate, Doom Patrol
m-winga-fistd-starburstg-starburst1291631191631091528816278153771437714266142KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO
Not having made it into click form yet, the second person to take possession of the Negative Spirit, Negative Woman, represents Negative Man very well. Disembodied through radioactive experiments, Negative Man can leave his body for up to 60 seconds and wreak havok upon the Doom Patrol's enemies. The opening click of 12 Movement with Phasing is a boon for your team: have Robotman pair up with NM and be teleported wherever the hot spots are. Poison will tear through soft targets and don't be afraid to push onto his sweet spot: 11 speed Hypersonic Speed with 3 damage. Whizzing about and softening up targets for Robotman and Elasti-Woman is Negative Man's forte. Like everybody else, though, he needs some shoring up in the area of Attack values, so be sure to give him some attention on the offensive side of things.

Lastly, but not least, adopted into their ranks is Gar Logan, better known as BEAST BOY:
http://colourmeshocked.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/250px-beastboyoyl.jpg
io202 LE Gar Logan
Team: Titans
Keywords: Animal, Doom Patrol, Martial Artist, Teen Titans
m-winga-fistd-starburstg-starburst109162981528814287162871527814178131KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO
A click in sorely need of a remake, this version of Gar Logan represents his early formative years nicely. Very much so a tie-up piece than Elasti-Woman is, use Gar to taxi in the Chief or Robotman and push onto Plasticity to slow down the opposition early in the game. On the back end of his dial, he actually gains some sturdiness that will surprise your opponent: Poison with Supersenses and Exploit Weakness before making way for Super Strength with Invulnerability and Close Combat Expert. Specializing in keeping the opposition on their toes and striking wildly, Gar will set the tone early for the Doom Patrol.

After all's said and done, the team comes out as:

The Chief w/ Brilliant Tactician & Contingency Plan 62 + 20 + 12
V Rita Farr 76
V Robotman w/ Lunge 106 + 5
U Negative Man w/ Alias & Armor Piercing 117 + 3 + 10
LE Gar Logan 78
BY Leslie "Rocky" Davis 10
-------------------------
500 on the nose.

With Leslie guest-starring as one of Niles' long time friends, you are definitely riding on the coattails of the "Wheels": your team goes as far as he goes. By having Leslie around, you have a one-off as far as your Masterminding is concerned. That being done, DO NOT shirk damage off to either Robotman or Negative Man, but only to Gar Logan or Rita Farr with the intention to heal them back up using Support. Very light on range but heavy on the up-close damage, you will most likely be doing a lot of yo-yoing: rushing ahead to hit a piece, hopefully not pushing by way of Manipulate, then running back for Support. Just mind the Brilliant Tactician and Contingency Plan combo on the Chief...it will bring up the lowish AVs and make most attacks stick. Whenever on the defensive, pump up Defense to miss incoming attacks. Very much so a finesse team that requires advanced tactics but once you pull off a victory with this team, there is no other feeling that feels better!

Look back here in two weeks for yet another installment!

Pepsirox08
02/08/2010, 13:55
i drop robotman and put on mento and elongated man. 496 total...

Boozehound
02/08/2010, 14:03
Great write-up!

lancelot
02/08/2010, 14:43
Original line-up...not just any Doom Patrol line-up.

Sure, TK and PC are always better, but alas, they weren't part of the original team-up.

jebus_2099
02/08/2010, 16:31

Not on the original team. That is the whole point of this article. I wan tto play this team all i need is Rita

Ignatz_Mouse
02/08/2010, 16:37
After reading the Showcase volume of the first Doom Patrol stories, I don't think the X-Men ripoff/X-Men-is-a-ripoff holds any water. I think it's pure coincidence. In tone, Doom Patrol reads more like a warped anti-Fantastic Four, actually. Where the FF are celebrities, so are the DP except they are all treated like freaks. They're a public group, while the X-Men are secret.

Arsenalroy2k
02/08/2010, 16:48
I once played the following Doom Patrol lineup:

Negative Woman w/ Armor Piercing
The Chief w/ Contingency Plan
V Changeling (HT)
E Robotman
Rita Farr
Mento

500 exactly. IIRC, I played them against a 500 point JSA team on the Origins map. I beleive I did surprisingly good with them.

SHVFarias
02/08/2010, 17:07
awesome article -

now i just gotta work on getting some more DC figs so I can field this team- :)

gatharion
02/08/2010, 18:06
I almost missed this article, sandwiched inbetween the two previews like that.

I've been wanting a proper Negative Man for some time.

goldpony
02/08/2010, 20:11
I
I've been wanting Negative Man for some time.

naughty naughty;)

Superclone
02/08/2010, 20:17
After reading the Showcase volume of the first Doom Patrol stories, I don't think the X-Men ripoff/X-Men-is-a-ripoff holds any water. I think it's pure coincidence. In tone, Doom Patrol reads more like a warped anti-Fantastic Four, actually. Where the FF are celebrities, so are the DP except they are all treated like freaks. They're a public group, while the X-Men are secret.

Actually, this is what Kirby believed. He said a couple of times on camera that Doom Patrol was akin to the FF.

SevenBlueSeven
02/08/2010, 20:39
Another great write-up!

Agreed. We badly need a Beastboy/Changling that is done RIGHT!

I also wonder when we will get other members of this team. Negative Man anyone?

Hmm, shouldn't JLA's Dr. Light also have the Doom Patrol keyword? She did spend some time on the team after all. I still want a fig of Faith for both JLA/DP teams.

I would really like to have a Duo of Grunt and Nudge. :cry:

Another duo that could be fun, or even single pieces for these characters: Vox and Bumblebee.

CarlosMucha
02/08/2010, 21:55
Great review!

I think we will getting Negative man (I also did a custom of him that I really like it) bUT I think we will get Negative Man with some kind of special power that give him negative efects. This Negative Woman may be expensive but have great things without any special powers with feedback damage or something.

BTW: the sculps of this team on clix look soo great toguetter!

BTW2: how they reconect the continuity to bring back dead Heroes like Rita and the Chief?? I use to read some comics of the Doom Patrol back in the 80's? 90's? the team that was lead by Celsious and they were all dead. Now they are all alive again.

Shuttle
02/09/2010, 08:58
Agreed. We badly need a Beastboy/Changling that is done RIGHT!

I still maintain that the only way to do a Beast Boy (or other animal shapeshifter) is through a kind of Dial H For Hero-style special power. So his Move SP offers him three alternate stat-lines (printed on his card) like a Cheetah (:m-boot: with high speed and BCF), Eagle (:m-wing: with BCF) and Otter (:m-dolphin: with supersenses) and his Attack SP offers three others, like Elephant (:g-giant: with quake and invulnerability), Horse (:m-boot-trans: with charge) and Octopus (:m-dolphin: and :a-duo:). With the four different SPs scattered through out his dial you could give him up to 12 different animals that way.

PONX
02/09/2010, 10:27
sounds cool for a fun team. as far as compitative, i don't know...

lancelot
02/09/2010, 14:51
sounds cool for a fun team. as far as compitative, i don't know...

Exactly what I shoot for every time I play the game: fun teams.

Competitive, pshaw! Just as long as I win or lose spectacularly!

GreatArelius1
02/09/2010, 17:21
I would definitely trade out Vet Robotman to Exp version. Get some points for bystanders to mastermind or get Elongated man in there.

Arsenalroy2k
02/09/2010, 23:43
I still maintain that the only way to do a Beast Boy (or other animal shapeshifter) is through a kind of Dial H For Hero-style special power. So his Move SP offers him three alternate stat-lines (printed on his card) like a Cheetah (:m-boot: with high speed and BCF), Eagle (:m-wing: with BCF) and Otter (:m-dolphin: with supersenses) and his Attack SP offers three others, like Elephant (:g-giant: with quake and invulnerability), Horse (:m-boot-trans: with charge) and Octopus (:m-dolphin: and :a-duo:). With the four different SPs scattered through out his dial you could give him up to 12 different animals that way.

A simpler way to have Beast Boy done would be to give him a trait that says he has the :m-wing: and :m-dolphin: symbols in addition to the :m-boot: symbol that would be printed on his dial. Then just give him a variety of powers. Charge, Blades, Super Senses, Super Strength, and of course Shape Change.

get Elongated man in there.

Elongated Man shouldn't be in any OG lineup like the article details. He was only a member of a very short-lived roster that was him, Beast Boy, Metamorpho and Dr. Light.

Repulsor rage
02/10/2010, 04:49
REally awesome write up. I would play the doom patrol more but i always roll below five or crit misses with mento must be his emotional problems. :/ lol

Quebbster
02/10/2010, 10:08
One big problem with the Doom Patrol is the lack of range.
However, if you include Beast Boy you may as well include Mento too - AFAIK he joined before BB. That gives you some range to play with...

thebigZZZZZ
02/11/2010, 02:00
Rita Farr was never called Elasti-Woman...if that's the case, then which issues of Doom Patrol was she called? I collect all Doom Patrol books, all incarnations except the 1960s the Greatest Adventure books. She was always called Elasti-Girl.

I would love to see those Doom Patrol adversaries in clixes: Gen. Immortus, Gargaux, Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man (he is appearing this month, yay!), Madame Rouge/Gemini, Mr. Nobody, Mr. 103/104...we have Brain and Monsieur Mallah and they're very lonely!

Tempest, Celsius to accompany Negative Woman and Robotman.

Crazy Jane would probably have all special powers on all of her dials as similar to Thor and Loki duo....to fit her 64 multiple personalities...or similar to Dial H for Hero - Flaming Katy, Flit, Driver 8, Iron Butterfly, etc.

MacGyver2506
02/11/2010, 02:29
Doesn't look like a very good team to me...I'd just forget about Doom Patrol keyword teams.

Quebbster
02/11/2010, 06:14
Doesn't look like a very good team to me...I'd just forget about Doom Patrol keyword teams.
No, the Doom Patrol definitely has a limited amount of abilities.
That's why it's fun to play - it's challenging! :)

Shuttle
02/11/2010, 14:16
A simpler way to have Beast Boy done would be to give him a trait that says he has the :m-wing: and :m-dolphin: symbols in addition to the :m-boot: symbol that would be printed on his dial. Then just give him a variety of powers. Charge, Blades, Super Senses, Super Strength, and of course Shape Change.

Simpler, maybe. But I don't think such a system would give you the variety of animal forms that my idea would give you. And it would add a fun tactical challenge into balancing which animal form is going to be most useful in your opponent's turn as well as your own. Do you go for the elephant form with Invulnerability and the high damage value, or the monkey form with the lower damage and super senses? If all your opponents have psychic blast then the latter makes sense. If not then the elephant would work better. I'd find it more fun.

Heretic
02/11/2010, 21:49
One thing you didn't take into consideration is that all of them have the outsiders team ability. Extra annoyance.

arKhIM asylum
02/12/2010, 08:29
I'm known for playing this team whenever the format is about comic teams. Here is what I play:

Chief
Robot Man
Elasti Girl
Mento
Negative Woman
Lian Harper

Then 50 pts of feats (BT, CP, Lunge for Robot Man). I used this team a lot of times, so the feats vary from one tourney to another

BATMANISBRUCEWAYNE
02/16/2010, 23:11
Thanks for the articles and for your next one can it please be on The JLA and The JSA. I love those teams a lot. Thanks again. :)

tidge
02/20/2010, 09:46
The Doom Patrol is one of those teams I keep meaning to play as a force, but I never quite get around to fielding. I think the mental hurdle for me is that for a given point value, I'm "stuck" using very particular figures, and the team-builder in me resents it.

The other "problem" as noted is that 500 points is pretty much the only point value for them without reducing Robotman/Changeling to nigh-useless levels. I've got plenty of other comic-accurate 500 point teams I would rather play first.

One big problem with the Doom Patrol is the lack of range.
However, if you include Beast Boy you may as well include Mento too - AFAIK he joined before BB. That gives you some range to play with...

You can have the Super Strong versions of Changeling carry the special object (Broken Drone?) that allows him to make ranged attacks. I saw this done at an event once.

thebigZZZZZ
02/27/2010, 18:04
here's another link that may be to your liking - has list of members, foes, and friends.

One character that I completely forgot - Willoughby Kipling --- really much cooler than John Constantine....he's cool and would love to see him clixed but way too obscure! heh...same thing with Bandage Twins.

link:
http://doompatrolreview.tripod.com/membersfriendsfoes.htm

enjoy!

Hatut Zeraze
06/01/2010, 03:18
I just got the Doom Patrol Showcase volume 1, and since I am having trouble going to sleep, I thought I'd see what kind of Doom Patrol team I could make.

I have the Chief, Rita Farr, Negative Woman (who I would be calling Negative Man just because), and Mento, who I am pretty ambivalent about - never really cared for the character. I actually forgot about Gar until I got to this thread, so I didn't consider any version of him. While I have the R & E version of Robotman, I do not have the Vet.

After some fanangling around of the characters, I had the team I wanted, but 62 point shy of 400. I browsed and browsed through various clix. I thought Nico Minoru might be an awesome stand-in for Crazy Jane, but it turned out she was too many points. Then, while in that Hammer of Thor box, I stumbled across Gorilla-Man at 61 points.

For this team, I'd call him Monsieur Mallah, who now serves under the Chief, after the death of his beloved Brain.

63 pts The Chief (Crisis)
82 pts Robotman (E - Origin)
117 pts Negative Woman (Origin)
76 pts Rita Farr (Giants)
61 pts Gorilla-Man (Hammer of Thor)

399 points

I admit it's not really comic accurate, but I do think Mallah, or my stand-in version of him, is still part of the Doom Patrol universe so he still fits in, even if I had to stretch it a bit.

Hmmm.....now that I have finished this, I see that the real Mallah is 55 points and could easily fit into that team without a stand-in. For accuracy, I'd go with that.

EDIT: Wow, they have remarkably similar dials, in terms of length and powers. For the extra 6 points, though, Gorilla Man also gets some regeneration, gets flurry earlier, and has his attack and defense drop at a slower rate. If a judge wouldn't begrudge it, I would go with Gorilla Man after all.