PDA

View Full Version : Comic Accurate Comic Accurate: Teen Titans #41

lancelot
03/08/2010, 01:10
http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=669&pictureid=7912

Featuring: THE TEEN TITANS
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/Batman/images/thumb/b/b7/390px-TeenTitans41.jpg/250px-390px-TeenTitans41.jpg

One of the oldest DC teams that has gotten plenty of looks by celebrated writers over the years, showcasing a team of superkids emulating the Justice League of America, much to the adult superheroes' chagrin. Take a look inside to see this interesting roster of one of DC's premier teams!

lancelot
03/08/2010, 01:11
The Teen Titans were usually a team of young superheroes who mirrored their adult counterparts on the Justice League of America but it has slowly shied away from this formula which is evident with this line-up. From the cover of Teen Titans #41, we have brother/sister combo who are also the children of Deathstroke, a daughter of the demon Trigon, a cyborg, an Amazon, a kid with a pact with the Devil, and one of Batman's proteges filling out the ranks this time around!

Carrying on the tradition that Richard Grayson instilled in the Teen Titans, Tim Drake continues the leadership role supplied by the proteges of Batman as ROBIN:
http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/f1f/1ac/f1f1accc-f0a5-4a01-9eb5-53bcf89e2cf0
aa034 V Robin
Team: Batman Ally
Range: 6 :bolt:
Keywords: Bludhaven, Detective, Gotham City, Martial Artist, Teen, Teen Titans
m-boota-fistd-starburstg-starburst91016281016289162891527915278152KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO(Speed) Batline: Robin can use Charge and Leap/Climb. When Robin uses Charge, he ignores the effects of elevated terrain on movement.
(Attack) Tear Gas Grenade: Robin can use Smoke Cloud. When Robin uses Smoke Cloud, after he places all hindering terrain markers he can immediately use Incapacitate as a free action but can attack only a single opposing character occupying a square containing a hindering terrain marker he placed that turn; ignore the effects of hindering terrain on the attack.

One of the two stealthy components on the team, Robin will serve the role of harasser, especially with his Tear-Gas Grenade SP. With Flashbang granting him an one-time strafing move, time this so the rest of your team can capitalize on a pushed opponent. Highly mobile as well with Batline, set him up where he can attack the opposition with little or no retaliation, especially if he can come charging off a rooftop. A dial full of Combat Reflexes almost begs for you to put Robin into base contact but don't, not unless it's absolutely crucial since this team could use the dose of Perplex Robin brings to the table.

The student that grew out of Donna Troy's shadow, this she-warrior has always struggled with her identity but never as one of the team's hardest hitters, CASSIE SANDSMARK:
http://tenzel.net/dcuguide/images/w/wondergirl2.jpg
or207 LE Cassie Sandsmark
Team: Titans
Keywords: Teen, Teen Titans
m-winga-fistd-starburstg-starburst8917369163891527815278152771427714267142KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOCassie's your regular flying beatstick with a surprise up her sleeve: charge her in with a heavy, carrying back-up...and letting herself be hit onto Psychic Blast. Representing her lasso, this can be a nasty trick to unleash on unsuspecting opponents who think their Invulnerable/Impervious figures to be safe. Although, at this point, she might need the dual-Perplex of Robin and Jericho to hit...but when she does, it's going to be felt. Also coinciding with the PB clicks is Flurry should she still find herself in a close combat situation. Super Strength and Psychic Blast take turns re-appearing on her dial along with Battle Fury and Close Combat Expert, albeit probably swinging wildly with that 7AV. Just send her in kamikaze style and you'll reap the benefits.

Especially if she can taxi in a little bundle of fury that is RAVAGER:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/ca/Ravager.png/200px-Ravager.png
lg024 V Ravager
Team: No Affiliation
Keywords: Martial Artist, Teen, Teen Titans
m-boota-fistd-starburstg-starburst8101638916378152771426713266122KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOSuffering from Indy-Clix syndrome, which refers to a dial of Stealth, Blades, and Super Senses...with range. Deathstroke's daughter is versatile in the sense that she is dangerous to base up close and dangerous to leave in a cubbyhole, sniping away with her deadly 10AV/3DMG combo. She's all but daring you to base her and take your chances, especially when she can miss an attack outright with Super Senses. Her base 3DMG also gives you a conundrum...do you roll for Blades or hit for 3? It all comes down to timing and choice...either one cannot go wrong. Back-dial brings you a combo of L/C, Willpower, and Perplex for a few rounds of desperate running-and-gunning while she tries to hightail it to Raven, who might've landed on her Support clicks.

Bounding about, carrying another sort of fury on his back...such as Hell's fury is KID DEVIL:
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/402/78903-1206-kid-devil.jpg
aa009 R Kid Devil
Range: 4 :bolt:
Keywords: Monster, Teen, Teen Titans
m-boota-fistd-starburstg-starburst81017281017289162791627815278141KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOThe brainchild of the demon Neron, this Blue Devil fan turned Kid Devil is the team's healing battery. Through the Titans TA and a good roll of the 1d6, Kid Devil will be giving out health like it's candy and then some...he's going to be able to Regenerate most of the health back. He's no slouch on the offensive side of things either: Leap/Climb with Super Strength leading into Poison with a dose of Psychic Blast while he high-tails it out of there with Regeneration. You can do the classic YOINK maneuver with KD: his L/C & Super Strength combo allows you to grab an object from under a stealthed figure to expose them. Just push like crazy...there's a nifty trick coming up involving KD and the Teen Titans TA.

Adding to the offensive ranks is the one-time athlete turned half-man, half-machine, and a stalwart Teen Titan member, CYBORG:
http://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image/object/923/923984/cyborg_dc-comics_pictureboxart_160w.jpg
un053 E Cyborg
Keywords: Robot, Teen Titans
m-boota-fistd-starburstg-starburst89153881528814277142771326613266131KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOThis throwback to the Silver Age of Heroclix has a dial that does not fare too well in today's environment but at a dial cost of 54 points, you can maneuver Stone wisely and attempt to use single-target Pulse Wave as it'd go through for 3 damage. Don't expect to survive the retaliatory attack and try to high-tail it out there, perhaps to serve as a healing battery the last few clicks of his dial.

Teleporting in as a half-demon, half-human wielding the mystical powers of Azar to aid her allies is RAVEN:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/Haize/Raven.jpg
un065 E Raven
Range: 8 :bolt:
Keywords: Mystical, Teen Titans
m-boota-fistd-starburstg-starburst881628816187151771517614166141KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOAnother dial designed for pushability, Raven brings Barrier/PC, two crucial support powers, to the team. Phasing/Teleport allows her to set up optimally where she can affect the most offensive maneuvers on the team then setting up Barrier to protect flanks for a turn. However, don't push her to set up Barrier as it'd immediately come down considering she only has a single click of the power. Incapacitate with her surprisingly long range of 8 will come as a complete blind-side to your opponent if you can pull it off. Regeneration also contributes to her longevity. I mentioned a trick earlier with Kid Devil. Here it is: considering KD is probably your main healing battery, you just might find Raven on her support clicks...heal up Kid Devil, have Kid Devil use the Teen Titans TA to heal Raven back top-dial if you can. Between the two of them, you will frustrate your opponents when they see the Titans constantly healing each other.

Flying in from the red planet, the white Martian M'gann Morzz fills in the interstellar role as MISS MARTIAN:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/18/Missmartian.PNG
aa021 R Miss Martian
Keywords: Teen Titans
m-winga-fistd-starburstg-starburst891628916289152881528815278142KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOAnother taxi for your team, one that plays the kamikaze role very well...charging in with a heavy and a back-up. Why's this sound familiar? Oh, yeah, Cassie does the same thing...only Miss Martian has a different shtick...she gains Hypersonic Speed mid-dial. With a dose of dual-Perplex, she's hitting for 3DMG with 10AV. With end-dial Regeneration, Miss Martian can even serve as a healing battery in a pinch. Man, that's three Regenerating Teen Titans on this team! A dial full of Shape Change with the mid-dial Super Senses makes MM a nuisance to take down, so go ahead and push her onto HSS and buzz about the battlefield. Camouflage will go a long way protecting her from ranged attacks so capitalize on hiding Miss Martian this way.

Last but not least, the man who has had daddy issues for the longest time, JERICHO:
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/8190/590746-34_large.jpg
cr007 E Jericho
Range: 0 :bolt:
Keywords: Teen Titans, Wildebeest Society
m-boota-fistd-starburstg-starburst8101727917279162781626815269142911172KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO(Attack) Possession: Give Jericho a power action and make a close combat or a ranged combat attack (as if he has a range value of 4) against an opposing target character as a free action. A successful attack deals no damage. Instead, remove Jericho from the battlefield and put him on his character card; the target is possessed, becomes friendly to your force and opposing to its owner's force, and any of the target's canceled powers return.<p>After the resolution of any action given to the target, you can release the target. Remove all actions tokens from the target and put Jericho in any unoccupied square within 4 squares to which the target has a clear line of fire. The target becomes friendly to its owner's force and opposing to your force.</p><p>If the target is possessed at the end of your turn, roll a d6 and add 1 to the result for each 100 points (or fraction thereof) of the target's point value. If the result is 6 or more, the target is released. If the result is 5 or less, deal Jericho 1 unavoidable damage.</p><p>Each time the possessed target takes damage, deal Jericho 1 unavoidable damage after the action is resolved. Any effect that can counter the target's powers can counter Jericho's Possession. If Jericho is eliminated or Possession is countered or canceled, the target is immediately released. Jericho and possessed characters can't be targeted by Mind Control or Possession.</p>
There was a reason Jericho came in last...his SP is one of the longest. Basically Mind Control with Jericho leaving the battlefield while you control the target for a certain period of time, Jericho is definitely no slouch at all. Due to the Teen Titans TA, he can safely take control of an opposing figure, leave for a while and then return, possibly taking a few clicks of damage but healing it back through the TA. Opening clicks of Perplex and Willpower allows him to set up in the best way to help his allies and perhaps let Raven Barrier him in for a turn then he would Possess the next when the opening is there. Picking up Exploit Weakness and Combat Reflexes the latter half of his dial, send Jericho in close to utilize the defensive boost and attempt another Possession. 126 points isn't exactly cheap, so use Jericho with care...he definitely is a finesse piece.

After this spiel, we come to a squad consisting of:

Robin (AA) w/ Flashbang 66 + 3
LE Cassie Sandsmark 94
V Ravager w/ Alias 50 + 3
Kid Devil 55
E Cyborg (Unleashed) 54
E Raven (Unleashed) 65
Miss Martian w/ Camouflage 76 + 8
Jericho 126
---------------------------------
600 on the dot.

Using your taxis, set up Deathstroke's children for their respective capabilites: the threat of being possessed and the stealthed ranged threat. Send Robin about where he can lay down Smoke Cloud every other turn, slowing down the opposition enough for Cassie and M'gann to Charge in and get mid-dial where they can start laying in some more hurt. Set up Cyborg where he can pop an opposing target for 3 straight up with his Pulse Wave. Send Kid Devil where healing is needed, perhaps setting up a surprise release of Poison by healing an ally and failing the Teen Titans TA roll to land on the Poison clicks. Try to have Jericho Possess the opponent's biggest hitter and turn the tables on them. With Raven, 4 theme PCs, and Robin's Perplex hanging about most of the time, you should be able to establish a mini-firing corridor and send in the bruisers, grabbing a man from the other side and watch them fight shorthanded while your team moves in for the kill. Just remember to time the use of Flashbang, setting up Robin from one spot to another, all the while continue to slow down the opposition. Alias will allow Ravager to dodge an incoming attack and Camouflage will further the headache that Miss Martian causes for the opponent. All in all, this bunch of hardy kids is nothing to scoff at: laugh and they'll punch you in the mouth. Hard.

Kudos to Feral2k for sending me the awesome comic cover and the groundwork of this team. Be sure to rep him as equally as you rep me!

Look back in two weeks for yet another insight into the seemingly endless DC universe!

Pepsirox08
03/08/2010, 01:23
WOW!!! what a unique teen titans teamup, ive been wanting to play either jericho or deadman for a while and now i just might! might have to switch it up a bit because i love the hawk/dove duo so wonder girl might have to take a dive...

Arsenalroy2k
03/08/2010, 02:14
After Arkham Asylum came out, I recall playing one of the lineups of the Titans, but I don't think I had Jericho on there. I might have had Changeling in there, but not totally sure. I do remember using them on the Sinister Prison map and winning, but the exact details escape me. It was 700, I think. But I think at 700, I might rearrange the feats a little.

Miss Martian w/ Automatic Regen & Camouflage
Robin (AA) w/ Stunning Blow & Flashbang
V Raven (I) w/ Automatic Regen
Kid Devil w/ Automatic Regen
V Ravager w/ Running Start
V Wonder Girl (O) w/ Lunge
Jericho w/ Alias
V Cyborg (Leg)

Comes out to 697. Only problem is the lack of move and attack.

elfholme
03/08/2010, 02:33
Great article...I love the Teen Titans.

I'd rep you, but:

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to lancelot again."

Hellfire117
03/08/2010, 02:58
No beast boy love? Otherwise, great article as usual.

Boozehound
03/08/2010, 03:17
Enjoy the write up! However I personally would make some changes to the team to what I would feel to be more effective:

Robin (AA) +Vault
V Wonder Girl
V Ravager
Kid Devil
E Cyborg (Unleashed)
R Raven (Icons)
Miss Martian
Jericho
600 points
-----------------

Downgraded Raven from E Unleashed to R Icons, since she sports similar values and has an extra click of Barrier and has access to Support much earlier. Since her purpose will most likely involve her to push, better to have her options available to her early.

Took out Flashbang from Robin and switched it with Vault. Much more viable for him than the 3 point Flashbang which can only be used once. Plus it allows Robin to assist in readjusting opposing figures for his teammates to deal with.

Dropped Camouflage and Alias to upgrade Cassie to her Vet version. For the 12 points more, the team gets a stronger brick with higher damage capacity which is a huge asset to this team.

Iceman425
03/08/2010, 07:16
@Boozehound: The only problem I see with dropping to the IC R Raven is her 1 click of PC. Re-Rolls may be the key to this team staying alive in a game of this size. I agree with Lancelot on that call.

Hesster56
03/08/2010, 08:37
@Boozehound: The only problem I see with dropping to the IC R Raven is her 1 click of PC. Re-Rolls may be the key to this team staying alive in a game of this size. I agree with Lancelot on that call.

I have to agree with the PC being fundamental, but I think even more important is making sure you get your points out of Jericho. I don't like putting the most expensive figure on your team as a very situational mind controller. If you grab Thanos or Prime and start crippling opposing figures, great. If you grab (or worse, miss) some mid-level attacker and just get a decent shot out of it, not good. I'd swap him for Nightwing and Starfire. They are a point less, and give you some good RS and harassment shots to soften foes up while you set up Cassie and M'gan.

Tim Drake
03/08/2010, 11:59
Exceedingly well-done write-up, Lancelot. :) Of all the myriad Teen Titans lineups in the last couple of years, this one is probably the best, both story-wise and from a playability standpoint, and you've done it justice here.

I know keeping Flashbang on Robin is a good idea for competitive play, but since I don't use feats all that often, I'd probably drop Camouflage on Miss Martian and upgrade to the Vet Raven. Only five more points than the exp, for a decent enough stat boost, leaving three points for a second Flashbang on the boy wonder, if you must. :-)

Great job!

2 Gun Kid
03/08/2010, 13:29
No love for Beetle.

Boozehound
03/08/2010, 13:35

However in the write up Lancelot points out its integral to try and not push her and remain on the first click because of that Barrier. Considering that Raven is likely to be hit with that 16 Defense, having more than one click of Barrier means she has the option to push is a good one (especially to help control the board), and healed immediately afterwards via Titans TA to remain on the first click and not lose out on the Barrier.

Superclone
03/08/2010, 16:18
Exceedingly well-done write-up, Lancelot. :) Of all the myriad Teen Titans lineups in the last couple of years, this one is probably the best, both story-wise and from a playability standpoint, and you've done it justice here.

Storywise? Really? Wow ... just ... wow.

lancelot
03/08/2010, 17:22

I know keeping Flashbang on Robin is a good idea for competitive play, but since I don't use feats all that often, I'd probably drop Camouflage on Miss Martian and upgrade to the Vet Raven. Only five more points than the exp, for a decent enough stat boost, leaving three points for a second Flashbang on the boy wonder, if you must. :-)

Great job!

Thanks, man. I appreciate it.

As for stacking Feats...I doubt you can do that. Personally, I prefer the older Flashbang...imagine dropping those Tear-Gas Grenades all game long!

Storywise...what was it? I don't personally follow the Teen Titans, but love playing 'em!

PONX
03/08/2010, 19:27
with all due respect, I can not think of a 600 point team that would have no problem puting these youngsters in their place. How about sending an awesome 300 point competative Titans team my way =)

Tim Drake
03/08/2010, 19:44
Storywise? Really? Wow ... just ... wow.

Compared with everything that came after Johns' run. Look at the issue, that's the one where Joey comes back, IIRC. It's the end of the Titans East story, which was pretty good. Once OYL happened, and then McKeever took over, the series was never able to recover.

with all due respect, I can not think of a 600 point team that would have no problem puting these youngsters in their place. How about sending an awesome 300 point competative Titans team my way =)

"Competitive" and "Titans" generally don't go together in the same sentence. At least as far as Teen Titans go. You can do the "adult" versions of the original Titans for a pretty good team. Nightwing, Red Arrow, Flash, etc.

Thanks, man. I appreciate it.

As for stacking Feats...I doubt you can do that.

Really? I thought you could. Oh well. I don't use them, so I'm probably wrong.

phantalien
03/08/2010, 20:23
Always enjoy the articles. I would do Icons E Raven instead of Unleashed, but other than that it was great!

airdomin8
03/09/2010, 02:01
Very nice article! The Teen Titans are indeed a team that can drag down other [seemingly] more powerful opponents! The team ability received a great boost and the team members are mostly low-cost and ultra-efficient killers!

Arsenalroy2k
03/09/2010, 02:17
After Arkham Asylum came out, I recall playing one of the lineups of the Titans, but I don't think I had Jericho on there. I might have had Changeling in there, but not totally sure. I do remember using them on the Sinister Prison map and winning, but the exact details escape me. It was 700, I think. But I think at 700, I might rearrange the feats a little.

V Raven (I) w/ Automatic Regen
Kid Devil w/ Automatic Regen
V Wonder Girl (O) w/ Lunge
Jericho w/ Alias
V Cyborg (Leg)

Comes out to 697. Only problem is the lack of move and attack.

I finally remembered the lineup I played. It was 700 points, the lineup from issue #50! I might be off on a feat or two, but IIRC, it was...

Kid Devil w/ Automatic Regen & Vault
E Supergirl (O) w/ Protected
V Wonder Girl (O)
Blue Beetle (O)

Cyaegha
03/09/2010, 08:21
My favorite playing team is the one found here (incidentally, despite what the cover may suggest, Cyborg doesn't appear in, since he's going into space with Donna Troy)

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/thumb/b/b8/Teen_Titans_v.3_30.jpg/300px-Teen_Titans_v.3_30.jpg

Cosmic Justice E Raven 65
Icons LE Gar Logan 78
Collateral Damage E Speedy 35+Trick Shot 20
Origin LE Cassandra Sandsmark 94
Legacy V Kid Flash 81 + Armor Piercing 10
TOTAL
383 points

Nightcrawler25
03/09/2010, 18:19
What about Nightcrawler?

Feral2k
03/09/2010, 18:42
Cosmic Justice E Raven 65
Icons LE Gar Logan 78
Collateral Damage E Speedy 35+Trick Shot 20
Origin LE Cassandra Sandsmark 94
Legacy V Kid Flash 81 + Armor Piercing 10
TOTAL
383 points

Raven's only in Unleashed and Icons, not Cosmic Justice. Just FYI.

Cyaegha
03/10/2010, 06:38
My bad, I was thinking the Unleashed version and somewhat ended up typing Cosmic Justice. Maybe because at the same time, my kid was browsing through my figures from the set, trying to see if Lightning Lad was comestible^^

maxwing
03/10/2010, 10:33
"Competitive" and "Titans" generally don't go together in the same sentence. At least as far as Teen Titans go. You can do the "adult" versions of the original Titans for a pretty good team. Nightwing, Red Arrow, Flash, etc.

They aren't that competitive, they will probably surrender to cheese, but they shouldn't be undersold either. The real key is that they have to be managed as a team and tactics are paramount. I also find that the most effective Titans are a mix of older and younger. Some of the better figs:

AA Robin
CR Nightwing
LG Roy Harper Jr.
CD E Speedy
CR038 Wonder Girl
CR Kid Flash
Icons V Starfire
LG V Ravager

That's not a bad bunch. Good range. A bit weak on bricks, though.

spideyguy51
03/10/2010, 11:31
What about Nightcrawler?

Nightcrawler is not a teen titan.

Who?
03/10/2010, 23:47
People cursed me for the adult titans team I ran. I tried running the crisis versions of the titans, their attacks and damage were just too low and they got picked off one by one.

Boozehound
03/11/2010, 03:06
I like playing the team from the cartoon series. I used to play them but now with a new Robin (unfortunately there's no Teen Titan version of Dick Grayson except for the Crisis one), I usually sub him in since his abilties accurately depict the character better.

My updated version would be like this:

AA Robin +Vault, Maneuver, Damage Shield, Flashbang (CD version)
Vet ICONS Raven +Book of Destiny
Vet UNL Cyborg
Princess Koriand'r
Gar Logan

Reasoning behind the feat up on Robin is because he's most likely the biggest target on the board. Having Batman Ally will usually require enemies to be up close and personal, where Damage Shield will take effect. Vault and Maneuver help move the opposing pieces around since there is very little move and attack on teh get-go for the team. Also the Vault and Maneuver can help rearrange pieces so potentially free up allies for Support.

XFORCE1982
03/12/2010, 09:09
you would use the AA Robin over the crisis one? I think the crisis robin is the best one as of now

Tim Drake
03/12/2010, 14:30
you would use the AA Robin over the crisis one? I think the crisis robin is the best one as of now

I agree in most circumstances. But for this build, the lower point cost and the special power of the Arkham Robin make it worthwhile, I think.

lancelot
03/12/2010, 15:50
It was also the costume that won me over :laugh: (comic accurate, matching the cover)

WolvieFan9
03/13/2010, 10:54
Instead of Camouflage on Miss Martian, consider Maneuver on one of the boot-symbol'd figures. And here's why...

Put Jericho 6 squares back from the Maneuver'd-up figure. The figure with Maneuver takes a swing to hit the target... and misses. The figure then uses Manuever to move the target behind, dropping it within range of Jericho's Possession ability. Jericho then Possesses the figure and does something nasty with it...

It would extend the range of Jericho's ability and could set up a nasty surprise for your opponent.

Cool article! As you were listing figures, I never thought that would add up to "only" 600 points... I was surprised when that was the total at the end.

tylerdrake
03/20/2010, 00:55
Now I am tempted to use the Titans - esp AA Robin & Kid Devil