PDA

View Full Version : Comic Accurate COMIC ACCURATE: The Crime Syndicate of America

lancelot
03/21/2010, 23:30
http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=669&pictureid=7912

Featuring: THE CRIME SYNDICATE OF AMERICA
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070104144919/marvel_dc/images/8/8b/Crime_Syndicate_of_America.JPG

One of the most interesting spins on the Justice League of America is their own mirror-image, the Crime Syndicate of America. Beating up on a goody-two-shoes Lex Luthor (shocker!) on a daily basis for kicks and giggles, look inside for some assembled evil!

lancelot
03/21/2010, 23:46
After the original team was wiped out by the first Crisis, the ever-so-masterful Grant Morrison breathed new life back into the CSA in his "JLA: Earth 2" story arc. There, the evil Justice League, so to speak, upholds a "favor bank" by which their "economy" is based upon. Narcissistic, self-centered, and bigoted egomaniacs, the CSA bicker with each other as often as they fight actual superheroes.

Read more about their exploits here: The Crime Syndicate of America. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_Syndicate_of_Amerika)
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/traitorgame/images/e/ee/CSAtable2.jpg

I've always thought that the Black Kryptonite Superman in Morrison's All-Star Superman run was exactly what Ultraman was supposed to be and Morrison doesn't disappoint with his version in Earth 2: a self-centered egomaniac who wouldn't stop at anything to get what he wants, be it money, sex, or another planet and a bunch of superheroes to destroy, ULTRAMAN:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d8/Ultramanburns.jpg
lg089 U Ultraman
Team: Crime Syndicate
Range: 8 :bolt::bolt:
Keywords: Brute, Crime Syndicate
m-winga-fistd-shieldg-starburst121116512101651010154991548917410816398163871537615275142KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO
Filling in the role of main turret, you're going to want to keep Ultraman on that top dial where he can cover at least 14 squares of the map and smack you for 5. Then from his prone position, he can torch you for 7, especially with an above average AV of 11 before he nosedives with 10s and 9s with a dial full of Super Strength so pack that Tombstone to help his low Defense. Coming off topdial, Ultraman can still lay down the hurt with Charge coming in with an object and cleaning up with Close Combat Expert which also fills out the rest of his dial. Alongside with tons of damage reducers, Ultraman will definitely pull his own weight on this team, forcing the opposition's focus on him allowing the rest of the CSA to smash around. Just don't forget his TA and use it to reroll against successful attacks against the Tombstone.

The "beautiful and deadly" monkier would be fitting for Earth 2's Lois Lane, who fills in the role of Ultraman's better and worse half and, on several occasions, a "friend" of Owlman's, SUPERWOMAN:
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/thumb/5/53/Superwoman_e2_jla_108.jpg/200px-Superwoman_e2_jla_108.jpg
lg048 V Superwoman
Range: 0 :bolt:
Keywords: Amazon, Crime Syndicate, Metropolis
m-winga-fistd-shieldg-starburst101117481017481016389163791537815378152681426714267142KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO
A standard flying brick with built in PC, Superwoman will lay down the hurt just as well as her better half does. There's no real finesse towards playing her; just steer her towards a target and clunk them over the head with an object and having PC doesn't hurt to ensure the hit lands. However, back-dial, one begins to wonder where the range for her eye-beams (as shown in the picture for DC's sake!) to complement her Incapacitate. I mean, they could've given her Battle Fury to start with then dropping it when Incap showed up...oh, well. It's also when her damage reducers give way to Willpower, so watch out for that one little big hit that'll drop her for good.

Instead of watching his parents be gunned down by a thug, Thomas Wayne, Jr. witnessed a policeman gun down his younger brother, Bruce, and his mother. Vowing vengeance upon law enforcement was OWLMAN:
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1754/owlmanm.jpg
cd094 U Owlman
Range: 6 :bolt::bolt:
Keywords: Crime Syndicate, Gotham City, Martial Artist
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst8101738101637916278151781527101526915268141KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO
As one would expect from a character emulating Batman, this figure plays just exactly like Batman...without the Stealth. The staple LC/Outwit/6-range dual-target Incap shows up here and in very good form with 10AV and 17DV backing it up; just park him in hindering and it's going to take some effort taking this piece down. Owlman picks up WP/CCE mid-dial before giving way to EW and Stealth so bail out of there and turn into the CSA's main PCer.

Juicing up heavily on "Speed Juice," this speedster epitomizes the meaning of hit and run, JOHNNY QUICK:
http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/gallery/jq-csa.gif
or092 U Johnny Quick
Range: 0 :bolt:
Keywords: Crime Syndicate
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst1091631091624715110916210101739101628915378142KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO
Yet another straight up representation of a Leaguer, this Flash rip-off carries a little more punch than either Barry/Wally did, thanks to the numerous clicks of 3 damage on the dial. Zipping about with ES/D making him a headache to pin down at range, capitalize on using Johnny Quick early game to soften up targets. Just mind click 3 where he needs a boost of his Speed Juice. After juicing up again, he gets a click of Charge/BCF to represent his return into the speed force. You can stay on this or push back onto HSS with better attack values before giving way to Flurry. All in all, a nasty piece of harassment that you should use at every chance possible.

An agent wielding a power ring from the Anti-Matter universe of Qward, this Green Lantern wanna-be is the CSA's weakest link, despite his awesome-sounding name, POWER RING:
http://vu.morrissey-solo.com/moz/perez/jla-a/powerring3.jpg
jl050 U Power Ring
Range: 8 :bolt:
Keywords: Crime Syndicate, Mystical
m-transport-winga-fistd-shieldg-starburst891517915278152781418715297161106171KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO(Damage) Curse of Volthoom: Power Ring can use Perplex. When he uses Perplex, roll 2d6; on a result of 2-4 immediately deal Power Ring 1 unavoidable damage.

An interesting twist on the power representing the power ring of Power Ring, we get this distraction piece for the CSA. Designed to do little other than blaze through the enemy lines and distract the foes long enough to set up Ultraman's 7-damage torching RCE, Superwoman's 4 +HO Charge, Johnny Quick's 3-damage drive-bys, all the while being supported by Owlman's bounding Outwit. Mid-dial Barrier will stall the inevitable but it's a stall tactic, nonetheless. His self-damaging Perplex isn't all that too bad, with what only 2-4 hurting him, so use that Perplex for all it's worth as well.

After the CSA calls in a few favors and rounds up a few of their hapless citizens for some grunt work, we get this:

U Ultraman w/ Damage Shield + Lunge 242 + 10 + 5
V Superwoman 141
U Owlman 87
U Johnny Quick w/ Nanobots 77 + 10
U Power Ring w/ Double-Time 90 + 5
BY Security Guard 6
BY Metropolis Transit Driver 3
BY Businesswoman 3
BY Paperboy 3
BY Politician 3
BY Reporter 3
BY Movie Star 3
BY Deli Worker 3
BY Scientist 3
BY Professor 2
BY Lian Harper 1
------------------------------------
700 points.

The generic Bystander pogs from the Marvel & DC Bystanders Sets, respectively, serve very well to fill in the roles as the Earth-2's hapless citizens and as token-dogs for the CSA TA's built in PC...alongside with the fact they riled the JLA and Red Arrow with the kidnapping of Lian Harper!!!

As for the CSA, use the Double-Time on Power Ring to get in behind enemy lines with Johnny Quick where he can wreak havok with hit-and-run tactics, retreating deep behind cover and juicing up through Nanobots. Owlman will remain on the skirts of the battlefield, Outwitting what he deems apt to be Outwitted, engaging only when the chance arises. The bulk of the battle will be left upon Ultraman sitting in hindering and torching for 7, depending on his trusty Tombstone while his better half smacks around the opposition on the interior. Damage Shield on Ultraman deters the foes from engaging him in close combat and Lunge keeps him mobile with his dial full of CCE. Be sure to set up your bystander tokens for tie-up and LOF blocking opportunities and especially for the CSA PC tokens. Keep in mind, those bystander tokens don't need to be within LOF for the PC but the CSA characters do. They basically have the PC power on their dial but the same restrictions apply. This team may be a throwback but played well, those pieces are engines of destruction.

Check back in two weeks for yet another installment of COMIC ACCURATE: DC EDITION!

Slayer_Xtreme
03/21/2010, 23:54
The team seems interesting although I'd have to make a few pog switches since I don't have some of them but I wouldn't mind trying this sometime and tinkering with it a bit using this article as a base.

lancelot
03/22/2010, 00:02
Yeah, basically pogs are a pre-req for this team as using their own members for PC tokens ties them up combat-wise. So, basically, any combination of bystanders serve well. If you've ever read that specific storyline, that many pogs aren't even out of line :laugh:

You should see what the CSA does on a day they're bored...

Wombatboy
03/22/2010, 00:20
I love the Crime Syndicate but I don't have Ultraman and the only Superwoman I have is the rookie version. Much harder to use them as a team without Ultraman as a heavy hitter. Maybe they could re-release him in a newer set like they did with Bizarro...

MacGyver2506
03/22/2010, 01:15
I thought Earth-2 had the Silver Age Superman? (Golden Age Superman being the one who can't fly).
Ultraman is that world's version of Superman (even though he's a human astronaut who gained powers from a radioactive meteorite), and Luthor is among the only heroes, so how can the Crime Syndicate be from Earth-2 if Earth-2 Superman is from Earth-2?

mr-coffin
03/22/2010, 01:19
I highly recommend the team even without Ultraman. I played a 400 point version of the team and beat a 500 point opposing team. I recommend Legendary Day so the pogs hiding in the back don't even strain to death when they take the tokens.

lancelot
03/22/2010, 01:29
I thought Earth-2 had the Silver Age Superman? (Golden Age Superman being the one who can't fly).
Ultraman is that world's version of Superman (even though he's a human astronaut who gained powers from a radioactive meteorite), and Luthor is among the only heroes, so how can the Crime Syndicate be from Earth-2 if Earth-2 Superman is from Earth-2?

After two DC Crisis-es (Crisii?), I honestly don't know any more.

Upon reading the Wiki entry, it isn't all that clear either, other than that this CSA was patterned after the E-3 CSA which was wiped out in the original Crisis. And seemingly in the recent Crisis, a new CSA appeared.

Color me interested...but confused :laugh:

rorschach_42
03/22/2010, 01:30
Earth-2 was the designation of the Anti-Matter Earth before the Multiverse came back, but after it was destroyed. Kinda confusing, I know.

To make matters worse, there is a seperate CSA on the new Earth-3. And, on another note, the Earth-2 Superman was the Golden Age Superman- he learned to fly.

Slade Wilson
03/22/2010, 01:39
Good article, owlman and superwoman still hold up. Back in the day Ultraman was a power house, nowadays he is too many points for his low defense numbers. He will be the subject of yet another outwit and destroy effort.

vamroc
03/22/2010, 02:20
I love the Crime Syndicate but I don't have Ultraman and the only Superwoman I have is the rookie version. Much harder to use them as a team without Ultraman as a heavy hitter. Maybe they could re-release him in a newer set like they did with Bizarro...

In JLA: E2 The JLA come up with a brilliant strategy that involves impersonating The Crime Syndicate and letting the villain E2 Brainiac win. The reasoning behind the decision to paraprase Superman (dressed as Ultraman) "good has no chance in this word evil will alway win so by being evil this time WE WIN" how friggin epic is that. Ultraman is always impersonating Clark when he's in our reality so I don't think anyone would mind if you used Superman as an Utraman Substitute or used Wonder Woman in place of Super Woman.

elfholme
03/22/2010, 02:34
I love the CSA. Hopefully we'll eventually get more members from their world. I just watched my "Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths" DVD, and it left me wanting more characters from that world in Heroclix, along with an updated Ultraman. :)

Action_Jackson
03/22/2010, 02:48
The army's still entirely viable without Ultraman. He's just a turret, after all, and the others... well, they're pretty darn good, too. :nervous:

Please don't destroy me with your death ray eyes, lord Ultraman...

taskmaster3030
03/22/2010, 03:04
gonna have to give this team a try for sure! great article.

Dr. Morbius
03/22/2010, 06:53
cool idea with all the pogs :)

Shuttle
03/22/2010, 09:55
In the Earth 2 story that Morrison wrote Earth 2 was how the heroic Lex Luthor referred to the regular DC Earth. This all happened pre Infinite Crisis when there was supposed to be only one Earth so where they were visiting was unclear. Post Inifinite Crisis they do appear to be the JLA-equivalent of Earth 3.

My advice? Forget trying to work it out and just enjoy the ride... :)

rwint1968
03/22/2010, 10:12
Nice article, thanks! Reading this gets me hoping that we get remakes of ALL the CSA members sooner than later. Ultraman and Owlman especially need to be remade but remaking them all would be just as well.

Thanks,
:cool::a-sharpshooter:

Superclone
03/22/2010, 10:30
The way to sort out the Earths and keep yourself sane is to think of DC as having 3 epochs:

Pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths: Earth-1 is Silver Age heroes; Earth-2 is Golden Age heroes; Earth-3 was Crime Syndicate

Post-Crisis on Infinite Earths and Pre-52: Earth was to be the only Earth in the one universe. Then someone introduced the Anti-matter universe again. Someone approved using the term Earth-2 for Morrison to use for Lex Luthor referring to positive-matter universe Earth. It is largely suspected that this Anti-matter universe no longer exists with a new one existing in its place after the events of 52.

Post-52: There are 52 Earths. New Earth is the main DCU continuity. Earth-1 is a new Silver Age Earth which will be written about in the coming months in TPB's by Geoff Johns (Batman) and JMS (Superman. Earth-2 is Golden Age again, minus Superman and Batman. Earth-3 is the new CSA.

There are then 49* other Earths, one of which was revealed to be the world of Batman Beyond, for which there are books coming including Batman Beyond and Superman Beyond.

*It is possible, and yet to be confirmed by DC Entertainment if the Earth designated Earth-Prime, which was created during the Legion of 3 Worlds storyline by the Time Trapper, where a depowered Superboy Prime was deposited, is part of the 52. It is largely suspected that it is not, meaning there has been a loophole inserted where if DC ever runs out of Earths, they can just create another. I suspect at that time we will discover that the entire multiverse has actually been re-created.

Superclone
03/22/2010, 10:33
I forgot to mention - somewhere out there in the 52 worlds, I have hope that Ted Kord is alive and well, playing tricks on Martian Manhunter about cookies.

I Am The Game
03/22/2010, 10:34
Wasn't Joe Chill Owlman's mentor? Or did they Crisis that out? Comic accurate pog, and he's stealthed too!

snatreaper
03/22/2010, 11:06
If you're making a comic accurate CSA, why wouldn't you use the Lois Lane LE and clock in at a nice 598? Granted, for whatever stupid reason this figure didn't get the keyword, but any judge worth his salt should give you the theme for it anyway. I don't know how having so many pogs makes it "comic accurate."

theanalogkid
03/22/2010, 11:27
As stated, you can play this team at 400 without Utraman and 5 pts for pogs.

If there is ever a 700 point total, these guys are on first call but I use Will power pogs. instead of so many pogs. But to each there own!

lancelot
03/22/2010, 12:23
I don't know how having so many pogs makes it "comic accurate."

Read the comic. Time and time again, the CSA just tortures their citizens with promises (read, lies) and rains $ on them from the skies...then Ultraman blasts one of them on the spot.

Just consider this multitude of pogs a rounding up of sorts for grunt work :laugh:

Vevilaughs
03/22/2010, 12:33
i would probably want to downgrade Superwoman to the E and slap Fortitude and Nanoarmor on Ultraman at this point level.

Since he is so top-heavy, he needs as much help as possible to ensure he stays on those clicks.

Also, while the Tombstone is a great idea, don't be shy about bringing the 3-D desk along too if you have it.

BigSoph
03/22/2010, 12:36
Ultraman is a bit of a glass jaw and very pricey. Trick shot on him is a good idea, to deal with all the stealthers trying to take away his impervious!

Also, for the record, the plural of crisis (cry-siss) is crises (cry-seize)

edgreen86
03/22/2010, 14:17
Love this team, and have played it many times. With the exception of Power Ring, all of them are great Clix (PR is just very disappointing).

The best way to defeat this team is to kill all the low point characters the main guns use to PC themselves and then start chipping away at the big folks.

While the 30 points of pogs are a fun idea, you could also swap out some of them for the 11 point Con Artist, giving you a slight boost of Perplex. Or a Street Thug, with the protection a stealth character gives it.

Well written and nicely thought out.

LemonEX
03/22/2010, 14:37
This might be off topic but why are Darth Vader, Cap, Batman, and what seems to be Dante fighting and why are the CSA watching? Is that pic from an actually comic?

Back on topic
I need to find myself an Owlman because it looks like a sweet fig.

lancelot
03/22/2010, 16:24
This might be off topic but why are Darth Vader, Cap, Batman, and what seems to be Dante fighting and why are the CSA watching? Is that pic from an actually comic?

They're not fighting, per se; it's merely a peek into other worlds, which is the CSA's shtick: find infant worlds to overtake and destroy...all in the name of play 'cause they're too damned bored.

wintremute
03/22/2010, 16:55
I recommend Legendary Day so the pogs hiding in the back don't even strain to death when they take the tokens.

Great idea!

simonexus
03/22/2010, 21:34
Legendary Day is even better as it allows Ultraman to actually make full use of his RS and RCE (later Charge+SS and CCE) and attack two times in a row without pushing (which hampers him greatly). Plus that would allow you to actually put Shellhead on him and help his lowish Defense a bit for that one turn that he would be clearing instead of attacking. I know it inflates his price even more, but if you're going to play him, he needs all the help he can get to stay top-dial and that's what I would do.

Spider-Bat
03/22/2010, 22:16
After the CSA calls in a few favors and rounds up a few of their hapless citizens for some grunt work, we get this:

U Ultraman w/ Damage Shield + Lunge 242 + 10 + 5
V Superwoman 141
U Owlman 87
U Johnny Quick w/ Nanobots 77 + 10
U Power Ring w/ Double-Time 90 + 5
BY Security Guard 6
BY Metropolis Transit Driver 3
BY Businesswoman 3
BY Paperboy 3
BY Politician 3
BY Reporter 3
BY Movie Star 3
BY Deli Worker 3
BY Scientist 3
BY Professor 2
BY Lian Harper 1
700 points.

I've run them, just with different Feats and Pogs (pre-Lunge, so I'd probably work that in).

U Ultraman w/Endurance, Lunge, Alias, & Protected: 242+10+8+3+5=268
V Lois Lane w/Alias: 141+3=144
U Owlman 87 w/ Alias, Lunge, Vault: 87+3+5+3=98
U Johnny Quick w/ Swingline & Alias: 77+10+3=90
U Power Ring 90 w/Alias: 90+3=93
Joe Chill: 6
Lian Harper: 1
700 pts

The original version was:
U Ultraman w/Trickshot, Endurance, & Protected: 242+20+10+8=280
V Lois Lane w/Unstoppable: 141+5=146
U Owlman 87: 87
U Johnny Quick w/ Swingline: 77+10=87
U Power Ring 90 : 90
Herbie: 5
Herbie: 5
700 pts

the Herbie's were for the robot cameras they brought with them to the "positive matter universe" to broadcast back to their Earth. Joe Chill, Lian Harper, and an Alias work better now. Or swap stuff around.

It's really hard to play them in anything less than 700 without having to use the LE Lois Lane and just hoping that the judge gives you the key word.

kthomas609
03/22/2010, 23:39
Just a funny note. In Morrison's classic Earth-2 story, Lex Luthor the superhero from the antimatter universe tells the Justice League that he calls their world Earth-2. From his perspective as he discovered them, it makes sense.

DrZero
03/23/2010, 01:06
Ultraman is that world's version of Superman (even though he's a human astronaut who gained powers from a radioactive meteorite), and Luthor is among the only heroes, so how can the Crime Syndicate be from Earth-2 if Earth-2 Superman is from Earth-2?At the time that Morrison wrote the story, the multiverse didn't exist. There were just the Earth that the DC characters existed in, and its counterpart in the antimatter universe. And since the antimatter Luthor was the one explaining to the Justice League about there being two Earth's, the positive matter Earth was the one that got dubbed "Earth 2".

azbat
03/23/2010, 04:03
Pummel on Ultraman is extremely useful. He can use it on 9 of his 10 clicks and another re-roll helps his low late dial attack values. You can never have enough re-rolls.

hero_temp
03/23/2010, 21:48
I finally got powerring to complete my set, if you drop superwoman to the rookie you can field them all for under 600.

phantalien
03/24/2010, 01:10
I am surprised there is no trickshot on Ultraman.

Great article! I love playing the CSA too! I just never had the chance to play all of them.

lancelot
03/24/2010, 02:06
I am surprised there is no trickshot on Ultraman.

Great article! I love playing the CSA too! I just never had the chance to play all of them.

20 points just for one click's worth of use? Nah.

Ultim8 Avenger
03/24/2010, 05:20
I remember playing against a team of Ultraman, V Lois Lane and about 10 pogs. I had my LE Ironman from SV EE the pogs...it was like the fourth of July. Sadly, I still lost.

Spider-Bat
03/24/2010, 11:52
20 points just for one click's worth of use? Nah.Have you tried Trick Shot on him? It's pretty useful. I haven't had a chance to try Elite Sniper yet, but with Endurance (and all the CSA re-roll), it works pretty well.

RolandofGilead
03/24/2010, 13:43
I love the willpower pogs. Very effective at taking two tokens in a complete round each. I used to use Ch'p in a mix up team that carried my whole team around with Owlman, Johnny Q, willpower'd pogs and room to spare (400 points). Telephone Booth'd to 18 shared defense immediately and the re-roll power of CSA drove my opponents nuts. It was sick seeing a 20 defense (energy shield) 77 point HS fig have so much control.

cwestseneca
03/29/2010, 21:57
i've played a 600 pt game using lois lane instead of superwoman. Unfortunately these guys don't stand up very well against the new lines. On a side note, they were very very very poorly portrayed in that awful new film.

Feral2k
03/30/2010, 19:25
I love the CSA. Hopefully we'll eventually get more members from their world. I just watched my "Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths" DVD, and it left me wanting more characters from that world in Heroclix, along with an updated Ultraman. :)

As far as we know, there's only six CSA members, the five known ones and an unnamed Martian seen in the end of one of the weekly books. Hopefully, if they ever show up in the comics again, we'll see more "evil" versions of DC heroes instead of just the same five.

Wombatboy
03/31/2010, 01:32
As far as we know, there's only six CSA members, the five known ones and an unnamed Martian seen in the end of one of the weekly books. Hopefully, if they ever show up in the comics again, we'll see more "evil" versions of DC heroes instead of just the same five.

I always thought the Crime Syndicate from the Morrison graphic novel was destroyed in JLA/Avengers, but after reading the CSA entry in Wikipedia I guess they're still around. I suppose that's what I get for not reading Trinity. :rolleyes: I had thought they'd been replaced by a new CSA on the new Earth-3 after the events of 52, but apparently they're the Crime Society of America, not the Crime Syndicate. I wouldn't mind seeing some clix of those figures if they also had the CSA team ability.

Spider-Bat
03/31/2010, 11:29
Not to mention the issues where the JLA went to the Antimatter Universe and the populace was running away, thinking it was certain villains returned from the dead. "Bloodhawk"? I don't remember their names, but I do recall Plastic Man wondering if his counterpart had a "cool" name.

simonexus
03/31/2010, 11:58
Not to mention the issues where the JLA went to the Antimatter Universe and the populace was running away, thinking it was certain villains returned from the dead. "Bloodhawk"? I don't remember their names, but I do recall Plastic Man wondering if his counterpart had a "cool" name.

IIRC Blood Eagle was Hawkman's counterpart, so was Barracuda a dark reflection of Aquaman and White Martian of Martian Manhunter... I believe Ultraman killed the Martian whom he considered his rival. I believe there may have been others mentioned, but I don't remember them.