PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: #103 Diana Prince

ol_Dut
04/29/2010, 22:52
ol_Dut's LE Review
#103 Diana Prince
By Justin Dekker

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?pictureid=9642&albumid=894&dl=1272592688&thumb

“Brave and the Bold” is out and with a new set we’ve got new LE’s to scrutinize. First up is Diana Prince (#103). Is she worth taking out for a Friday night game? Come inside and see!

ol_Dut
04/29/2010, 23:04
Now for the most part in a review we like to have pictures of the pieces in question so that everyone understands what figures we’re talking about. That’s not happening here. I’m not much of a fan of how the Diana Prince sculpt turned out, and am incredibly displeased with the Wonder Woman sculpt. Propriety prohibits me from saying any more in a PG/PG-13 environment such as this. However, we do have some great shots of Lynda Carter, the lady who is, was and always will be Wonder Woman and Diana Prince to those of us who were alive to see her in the ‘70’s. Just pretend the following is picture of the LE Diana Prince.

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=894&pictureid=9643

First things first – let’s take a look at her dial.

#103 U Diana Prince
Team: No Affiliation
Range: 0 :bolt:
Keywords: Martial Artist
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal710172791627917161016168151KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Now in all fairness, we can’t just look at #003 Diana Prince, we must also consider what she brings from Wonder Woman’s (#018) dial via the Alter Ego mechanic.

#003 AE Diana Prince
Keywords: Amazon, Politician, Trinity
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal5915158152681627817177171KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOSpeed - Alter Ego: Wonder Woman: Give Diana Prince a power action and replace this character with #018 Wonder Woman on its orange starting line. Existing action tokens from this character, as well a action tokens and pushing damage for this action are applied to the replacement Wonder Woman. If replaced, no victory points are awarded for this character and the replacement Wonder Woman is considered to be 32 points for all game effects

#018 AE Wonder Woman
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal91017499173991728917389182||||9101738917389172KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOAttack - Lasso Punch: Give Wonder Woman a power action. Choose a target non-adjacent opposing character within 2 squares of Wonder Woman to whom she has clear line of fire. Place that character in a square of clear terrain adajacent to its current square and Wonder Woman and then she makes a close combat attack as a free action.

Remember, the only stats that matter in this analysis the five from Diana Prince (#003) and the three clicks that come after the Alter Ego’s orange starting line.

Wow. All of those dials are making me a bit cross-eyed. That can only mean one thing – we need another picture! Here is a shot of the regular Diana Prince (#003)

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=894&pictureid=9641

LE Diana Prince’s(#103) Gains vs. Diana Prince (#003) and AE Wonder Woman (#018)

On the movement track, the Leisure-Suit Lady picks up two clicks of Flurry at the start of her dial, and three clicks of Leap/Climb to close-out. She’s also got three clicks of Combat Reflexes to keep her safe when some blokes get too up close and personal. A couple of shots of Perplex make about as much sense for Diana as Power Girl’s “Eyes Up Here, Soldier” power does for her. How’s that for comic-book accuracy? And an extra dollop of Close Combat Expert will help her out when guys just don’t understand that “No” means “No!”. One extra click of a perfect 10 attack near the bottom of her dial rounds out the increases over Power-Suit Prince and AE Wonder Woman.

Leisure-Suit Lady’s (#103) losses vs. Power-Suit Prince (#003) and AE Wonder Woman (#018)

Power-Suit is completely different than Leisure-Suit, so that means that all of that Support, Energy Shield/Deflection and the AE Special Power disappears. So too does Wonder Woman’s Plasticity, “Lasso Punch” power and Defend. Since Leisure-Suit can’t spin around and transform in a blinding flash of light and thunder, she also drops those three “extra” clicks of life that Power-Suit has if she can actually pull that thing off.

Here, at long last is a picture of Wonder Woman (#018).

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=894&pictureid=9644

If ol_Dut Had to Choose
When it comes right down to it, these figures are completely different. Look at dials. Look at the pictures. Block the image of the sculpts from your mind. I cannot seriously envision a time when anyone would be in any sort of consternation and confusion over which to play. However, I wouldn’t let a simple thing like their complete and utter lack of similarity prohibit me from having any strong opinions about which figure ought to see play nine times out of ten. Power-Suit, oddly enough is practically powerless; unable to defend herself from all but the most inept of attackers. Good thing the black will hide blood stains. Instead, she’s there to hand out tea and sympathy until such time as she is beaten or pushed into a position where she can hopefully spin about and transform into a nearly dead Wonder Woman. With no move and attack powers, and no damage reducers, it shouldn’t be too long before “nearly dead” Wonder Woman spins about and in a flash of light and thunder transforms into “actually completely dead” Wonder Woman. Sure she’s handy with a rope, but that little trick only works against folks within two squares, and then only if she can see them. Hiding around a corner? Can’t touch ‘em so she’s just waiting to die. Real threat hiding behind a meat shield? Gonna have to beat the meat and leave the real threat able to take you roughly from behind. Not the best way to spend a Friday night at the game table. The good thing is that this entire drama doesn’t cost any additional points. The bad thing is that you could have spent those points in a much better way.

For eleven more points, Leisure-Suit is all about punishment. Starting out with Flurry, a 10 attack and two damage with Perplex, she can hit someone where it hurts while her 19 defense in close combat should keep her safe from any retaliation. This makes her an excellent tag-along for a big-money flier, or as a superior tie-up piece if she has to find her own way. Once Flurry fades, Leap/Climb arrives to either help her reposition to the perfect spot, or to pull-out if things are getting too hot for her where she’s at. Close Combat Expert and solid nine (9) and 10 attack values make her a real threat in her mid- to late-dial. Even on her last click, Perplex will enable her to crack Toughness, although that late in the game she’ll likely be using that power to support a teammate that can dish out more damage than she can at this point.

Never a big fan of Support, and less so of gimmicky gadgets, it’s going to be #103 LE Diana Prince for me every time.

Next week we set our sights on Bruce Wayne, Bruce Wayne and Batman! Thanks for reading!

PISCEAN
04/29/2010, 23:25
Nice review:
You got it 100% right ol Dut, I agree.
I don't get what people think is so great about the Diana Power Suit. Support, in tournament play, usually, is just a waste of actions that could be spent scoring points. If you have a pc that serves other purposes and happens to ALSO sport support that's one thing but I think anyone would be better served with a support pc that provides nearly any damage power other than support. LE Diana is a great tie up and secondary attacker for under 50 pts who can also play the role of a support pc with perplex.

bigbro911
04/30/2010, 00:19
I really like the LE Diana.

Too bad they didn't make her a Spy too as she was AGENT Diana Prince!! (at some point) ;)

Thanks for the boss review!

airdomin8
04/30/2010, 00:46
LE Diana Prince seems like a neat figure. I just thought an LE figure would have a little more to offer (non-generic keywords).

jak7890
04/30/2010, 01:46
I agree that the LE is the better piece, but think you might have undersold the AE a bit.

AE Diana is better served as a meat shield against ranged attacks; use her to buy a few actions off of your opponent. When she does get hit, if you can pull it off, switching to a tie up piece that's capable of dealing 5 damage for 32 pts is worth it.

Repulsor rage
04/30/2010, 01:53
Man i missed these great to see em back

M.Drake
04/30/2010, 05:03
when I first saw the LEs I was "meh that is supposed to be the trinity??"
the I heard that all 3 LEs are supposed to be versions where they have lost or given up there Powers. With that in Mind I love the LEs

Mr. Cranberry
04/30/2010, 10:21
the I heard that all 3 LEs are supposed to be versions where they have lost or given up there Powers. With that in Mind I love the LEs

How would that work with Bruce again? ;):cheeky:

Ultim8 Avenger
04/30/2010, 10:40
i wish the le had the amazon keyword...dang.

antedoX
04/30/2010, 10:41
How would that work with Bruce again? ;):cheeky:

It represents when he brainwashed himself into believing he wasn't Batman.

rollinsolo
04/30/2010, 10:54
Nice review, great points. All I know for sure about these AE figures is my Starbucks team just got a lot stronger.

eliotblacknigh
04/30/2010, 10:55
very nice review......:classic:

HeroclixFrank
04/30/2010, 10:57
i wish the le had the amazon keyword...dang.

The figure represents the late 60s/early 70's Kung-Fu Emma Peel ripoff era.

At the time, she had no powers, was trained in Martial Arts, and the Amazons had left the Earth. So since she wasn't powered anymore and the Amazons were gone, I can understand why she doesn't have it.

But SPY makes alot more sense. Why she doesn't have that......

M.Drake
04/30/2010, 11:33
It represents when he brainwashed himself into believing he wasn't Batman.

what he said

thank you :)

Critical Hug!
04/30/2010, 12:15
"Gonna have to beat the meat and leave the real threat able to take you roughly from behind."

I dropped my monocle and exclaimed, "Oh my!" when I read this.

mr_moneypenny
04/30/2010, 14:17
Lovely to see these reviews back, ol_Dut! Woo-hoo! Great read as always...

I absolutely agree with your assessment about the figures. I sure think it would be fun to see some of these AE LEs actually have the ability to switch into the "powered-up" version of the character. Whether you like the mechanic or not, it would be neat to have that option. Perhaps in Web of Spidey?
But until then, LE Diana Prince (#103) FTW.

I dropped my monocle and exclaimed, "Oh my!" when I read this.

HA! :)

vBulletin Message:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Critical Hug! again.

phillynorthstar
04/30/2010, 15:02
i just bought a Diana Prince LE off ebay for $3.26. SWEET

szude
04/30/2010, 15:23
Nice review:
I don't get what people think is so great about the Diana Power Suit. Support, in tournament play, usually, is just a waste of actions that could be spent scoring points.

What a weird thing to say. So if your Robot Superman crit misses off that first click it's not worth having figures to heal him up? Or a ton of other front-loaded examples?

These days it's all about the mid level tentpole figures. Not only does that mean you have extra actions usually *anyway* (because 300 pt games with 6 figures are now rare), but if your tentpole takes a beating, you're done without helping him out.

Mr. Cranberry
04/30/2010, 17:24
Nice review, great points. All I know for sure about these AE figures is my Starbucks team just got a lot stronger.

Try Caribou, Peet's or Cup O Joe and you won't be left with that bitter after-taste.

goldpony
04/30/2010, 17:49
Try Caribou, Peet's or Cup O Joe and you won't be left with that bitter after-taste.

all fine fine choices and much better than the swill they serve at starbucks. I personally prefer Dunkin and Waffle House, but i'm old school that way:cool:

PISCEAN
04/30/2010, 18:36
What a weird thing to say. So if your Robot Superman crit misses off that first click it's not worth having figures to heal him up? Or a ton of other front-loaded examples?

These days it's all about the mid level tentpole figures. Not only does that mean you have extra actions usually *anyway* (because 300 pt games with 6 figures are now rare), but if your tentpole takes a beating, you're done without helping him out.

IMO , No it's not. Your better off playing to a strategy that does not require you to heal your guys up but rather to build and play a team that doesn't need to worry about such things.You are definitely better off helping him out with PC to reroll the crit miss instead.
I find support to be a wasted action and I would never put a figure on my team for the sole purpose of support when for a similar cost, I could add a figure that provides tie up or stealth blocking as well as one of the far more useful staples such as Outwit, Perplex or PC. Figures that have other abilities that help your strategy and also have support are better since your strategy does not revolve around support but you may find an opportunity to use it. Good examples are the Chief or Adam Warlock among others.
Also I would never rely on such a glass jawed figure as Robot Superman in a tournament. In the Modern Age if your "tentpole" can't handle a few hits your in trouble.
Your also not getting much use out of your support figure if all it's doing is hiding in the back waiting for someone to need it instead of proactively helping you defeat your opponent. Without any other useful abilities that's exactly what the Power Suit Diana would be doing. In nearly every local tournament I've played support has never achieved anything but allowing me greater freedom to position and out-maneuver/out-action my opponent as he runs back to a healer and hopes he can heal more than 1 click or not flat out miss as the turn counter clicks away his opportunities to score points.
Anyway that's my thought and opinion behind the statement and I'm sure everyone has their own quite different view about it.:)

Superclone
05/01/2010, 06:36
The figure represents the late 60s/early 70's Kung-Fu Emma Peel ripoff era.

At the time, she had no powers, was trained in Martial Arts, and the Amazons had left the Earth. So since she wasn't powered anymore and the Amazons were gone, I can understand why she doesn't have it.

But SPY makes alot more sense. Why she doesn't have that......

Actually - I'm pretty sure that the AE one is the Emma Peel ripoff and that this LE represents OYL Diana. In fact, I thought all three LEs were OYL.

M.Drake
05/01/2010, 08:58
Actually - I'm pretty sure that the AE one is the Emma Peel ripoff and that this LE represents OYL Diana. In fact, I thought all three LEs were OYL.

Nope

Diana LE is the Emma Peel Ripoff, Clark LE is OYL, I dont know from what story Bruce Wayne is but its when he hypnotised himself he wasnt Batman because some mindreader was on his trail

petenbailey9
05/01/2010, 12:25
Can you post another picture please..........?

anonym0use
05/01/2010, 13:05
Great review! Your writing always inspires me when I sit down to crank out an article.

tom730
05/01/2010, 13:27
Best pictures posted this month!
Thanks!!!!

(what? there was an article? Really? was it about Linda Carter? any links to more pix? oooh, or a video clip of her spinning around and becoming WW?)

turdburglar47
05/01/2010, 14:00
Lynda Carter was a freak of nature with how amazingly well she was put together. It's fascinating.

RavenProject
05/01/2010, 18:54
Lynda Carter was a freak of nature with how amazingly well she was put together. It's fascinating.
When I was a kid... my father never had any objections to watching Wonder Woman. Took me a few years to realize why. ;)

-J

tom730
05/01/2010, 23:10
Can we ask the Mods to "sticky" that picture (no pun intended) to the front page?
She was just SO beautiful!
And a friend who has worked with her in recent years (doing voice over projects) says she is INCREDIBLY gracious and down-to-earth, always on time, very professional, and still beautiful!

Thanks again ol-Dut!:grin:

happyoptimistic88
05/02/2010, 05:07
Nice review:
I don't get what people think is so great about the Diana Power Suit. Support, in tournament play, usually, is just a waste of actions that could be spent scoring points. If you have a pc that serves other purposes and happens to ALSO sport support that's one thing but I think anyone would be better served with a support pc that provides nearly any damage power other than support. LE Diana is a great tie up and secondary attacker for under 50 pts who can also play the role of a support pc with perplex.

Both Diana Princes are good!:)

ol_Dut
05/02/2010, 13:16
When I was a kid... my father never had any objections to watching Wonder Woman. Took me a few years to realize why. ;)

-J

Yep, and I bought all 3 seasons on dvd so that, umm, my kids could watch 'em. Yeah, that's my story!:laugh:

IceHot
05/03/2010, 10:56
Odd, I had the Wonder Woman theme music running through my head this whole weekend.

UniqueLoginNamor
05/03/2010, 13:53
WONDER WOMAN...Yum!! (to the tune of the Red Robin slogan)
LE can perplex to 3 and open a can of 6 damage and then laugh at those that try to deal with her 19 defense. I played her once and she handed Kal-el his rump on a platter!

But the 32 point nice defense medic that changes into Wonder Jugs and cracks a head open for 5 damage and lends some Defend. Both great pieces!

hawkeye55
05/03/2010, 15:05
So does anyone else see Katy Perry playing Wonder Woman...

A) She would fill out the costume a bit better on the top end...

B) Looks just like Linda Carter

C) Loves to wear silly clothes

RavenProject
05/03/2010, 15:16

Are you high?

-J

IceHot
05/03/2010, 17:11
Yep, and I bought all 3 seasons on dvd so that, umm, my kids could watch 'em. Yeah, that's my story!:laugh:

So you would know the answer to the Trivia Question, "Who played Wonder Girl?"

(another hottie in her day)

UniqueLoginNamor
05/03/2010, 17:13
Kate Beckinsale was going to get the job. Don't know what happened to that, but that would be cool.

Jenny McCarthy should play Power Girl. I could see a PG movie or have her in next Superman movie. Anyone that has seen that one episode of Two and Half Men knows she fits the description.

hawkeye55
05/04/2010, 17:38
Are you high?

-J

Not when I typed that.

hawkeye55
05/04/2010, 17:42

Quoting myself for once?

RavenProject... do you disagree with any of these...

Note: I never said for acting purposes... then we could hire Megan Fox if we wanted a good-looking idiot... just A,B,and C, man.

Check Check double Check!

RavenProject
05/04/2010, 17:44
Quoting myself for once?

RavenProject... do you disagree with any of these...

Note: I never said for acting purposes... then we could hire Megan Fox if we wanted a good-looking idiot... just A,B,and C, man.

Check Check double Check!

C I'll give you. A and B, no way.

Katy Perry's a lovely lady in her own right, but there's no way she fills the bustier of Lynda Carter... literally or figuratively.

-J

szude
05/05/2010, 11:55
So you would know the answer to the Trivia Question, "Who played Wonder Girl?"

(another hottie in her day)

I believe it was crazy-Catwoman herself, Sean Young. She talked about it on Letterman once.

spider_ham
05/05/2010, 14:46
Would LE Diana Prince + Life Model Decoy be a better choice over LE Wonder Woman (Origin)?

UniqueLoginNamor
05/05/2010, 16:31
Would LE Diana Prince + Life Model Decoy be a better choice over LE Wonder Woman (Origin)?

Common Diana Prince with Force field would be!!

To answer your question without looking at the dials, i'd guess yes.

UniqueLoginNamor
05/05/2010, 16:52
Ok maybe not. That's odd. I never remember that New Guy Wonder Women being good. She got hosed ever time i played her.

NGN 3 more clicks which is its biggest advantage, and more combat reflex to make up for less defense, then 4 range (except to start) and higher damage 4 less points.

LE Diana, front loaded Flurry and perplex, for 6 damage potential. High defense, 2 more clicks of "toughness" help even out the 3 less clicks to live. 3 clicks of leap for mobility and a second 10 (and the first 10 being front-loaded). But no healing and the threat of thwart are a damper. Plus LMD doesn't handle penetrating damage anymore once BN comes out.

All in all NGN WW has it i think.

But i still think common Diana w/ FF beats them both.

RavenProject
05/05/2010, 17:03
I believe it was crazy-Catwoman herself, Sean Young. She talked about it on Letterman once.
It was Debra Winger. :)

-J

spider_ham
05/05/2010, 19:56
Quick comparison:

#003 AE Diana Prince
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal5915158152681627817177171KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOSpeed - Alter Ego: Wonder Woman: Give Diana Prince a power action and replace this character with #018 Wonder Woman on its orange starting line. Existing action tokens from this character, as well a action tokens and pushing damage for this action are applied to the replacement Wonder Woman. If replaced, no victory points are awarded for this character and the replacement Wonder Woman is considered to be 32 points for all game effects

With Force Field:
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal5915*15815*26816*27817*177171KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

VS

#103 U Diana Prince
Keywords: Martial Artist
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal710172791627917161016168151KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

With Life Model Decoy:
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal71017+27916+27917+161016168151KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

* ES/D in addition to Toughness
+ CR in addition to Toughness

I still think that LE Diana + LMD is more effective despite the cost, as the high DV up close makes her harder to hit, and Leap/Climb allows her to escape (even though she can't be healed). AE Diana is a great support piece, but even with Toughness, she'll have a hard time fending off close combat attackers with an average damage value of 1 (2 at best). :ermm:

spider_ham
05/05/2010, 19:59
When Diana's Wonder Woman clicks are taken into consideration, Is AE Diana Prince + FF / AE Wonder Woman a match for the Origins LE WW? Take AE DP/WW's Plasticity and higher natural DV into consideration; Origin WW only has 3 clicks of Toughness.

More importantly, would Force Field carry over to Wonder Woman from Diana?

or211 LE Wonder Woman
Range: 4 :bolt:
Keywords: Amazon, Justice Society
m-boota-fistd-starburstg-starburst99173810163891527815278142681416713167131KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

VS

#003 AE Diana Prince / #018 Wonder Woman
Range: 0 :bolt:/2 :bolt: (using SP)
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal5915*15815*26816*27817*177171||||9101738917389172KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOK OKOKOKOKOKOSpeed - Alter Ego: Wonder Woman: Give Diana Prince a power action and replace this character with #018 Wonder Woman on its orange starting line. Existing action tokens from this character, as well a action tokens and pushing damage for this action are applied to the replacement Wonder Woman. If replaced, no victory points are awarded for this character and the replacement Wonder Woman is considered to be 32 points for all game effects.

Attack - Lasso Punch: Give Wonder Woman a power action. Choose a target non-adjacent opposing character within 2 squares of Wonder Woman to whom she has clear line of fire. Place that character in a square of clear terrain adajacent to its current square and Wonder Woman and then she makes a close combat attack as a free action.

UniqueLoginNamor
05/06/2010, 09:27
When Diana's Wonder Woman clicks are taken into consideration, Is AE Diana Prince + FF / AE Wonder Woman a match for the Origins LE WW? Take AE DP/WW's Plasticity and higher natural DV into consideration; Origin WW only has 3 clicks of Toughness.

More importantly, would Force Field carry over to Wonder Woman from Diana?

or211 LE Wonder Woman
Range: 4 :bolt:
Keywords: Amazon, Justice Society
m-boota-fistd-starburstg-starburst99173810163891527815278142681416713167131KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

VS

#003 AE Diana Prince / #018 Wonder Woman
Range: 0 :bolt:/2 :bolt: (using SP)
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal5915*15815*26816*27817*177171||||9101738917389172KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOK OKOKOKOKOKOSpeed - Alter Ego: Wonder Woman: Give Diana Prince a power action and replace this character with #018 Wonder Woman on its orange starting line. Existing action tokens from this character, as well a action tokens and pushing damage for this action are applied to the replacement Wonder Woman. If replaced, no victory points are awarded for this character and the replacement Wonder Woman is considered to be 32 points for all game effects.

Attack - Lasso Punch: Give Wonder Woman a power action. Choose a target non-adjacent opposing character within 2 squares of Wonder Woman to whom she has clear line of fire. Place that character in a square of clear terrain adajacent to its current square and Wonder Woman and then she makes a close combat attack as a free action.

That's what i was getting at. PS, Defend is a prereq for FF, so she has toughness all the way across!!