Comic Accurate COMIC ACCURATE: Justice League International [Archive] - HeroClix Realms

PDA

View Full Version : Comic Accurate COMIC ACCURATE: Justice League International

lancelot
05/03/2010, 00:09
http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=669&pictureid=7912

Featuring:JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/giffen.jpg

Combining the usual J.M. DeMatteis and Keith Giffen highbrow comic comedy and Blue Beetle on the squad, there were tons of hilarity abound! Step inside this house of falling cards in this take of COMIC ACCURATE: DC EDITION!

lancelot
05/03/2010, 01:20
With a publication history too convoluted to get into as to why this quirky squad of seemingly cast-off Leaguers made up what apparently is a world police force, this series quickly became beloved amongst the hardcore fans for its humor, full of essentially frat house shenanigans, but still retained its overt purpose: a team of Jusitce Leaguers.

Read more about them here: The Justice League That Should Not Have Been. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_League_International)

Starting off with the de facto field leader, J'onn J'onnz, who had to endure plenty of headaches heading this team:
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/characters/who-images/martian-manhunter.jpg
#036 E Martian Manhunter
Team: JLA
Range: 8 :bolt:
Keywords: Justice League International
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal1010174910173910174991739916499165891638101531010144KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKODamage - Telepathic Invisibility: Once at the beginning of your turn, you may choose close combat attack or ranged combat attack. Martian Manhunter modifies his defense by +3 against the chosen type of attack until the beginning of your next turn.
:star:Trait - Martian Manhunter can use Shape Change and Phasing/Teleport

Lending to the strange dynamics of this League is the one-two punch of escape artist and his dwarf manager, Mister Miracle and Oberon:
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8422/oberon2.jpg
#054 E Mister Miracle and Oberon
Team: JLA
Range: 0 :bolt:
Keywords: Justice League International
m-normala-duod-indomitableg-normal8101828101828101828111728101729916299162KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOSpeed - No Chains Can Hold Me: Mister Miracle and Oberon can use Charge and Leap / Climb. When they use Charge, they can ignore the effects of hindering terrain and characters on movement and automatically breaks away.
Attack - Prison Break!: Friendly characters within 6 squares ignore opponent's Plasticity and succeed on break away results of 2-6.
Defense - "Your Head is My Jumping-Off Point!": Friendly adjacent characters can use Telekinesis option 2, but only targeting this character.

Even when short of his better half, that of Booster Gold, Ted Kord is still full of pranks, tricks, jokes, insults, and, most of all, timely rescues wrapped in comic relief:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WNN-5M3B8x4/R-e0BWo1JwI/AAAAAAAAAnI/1B87y0f_VmY/s320/BlueBeetle03.png
cr030 V Blue Beetle
Team: Justice League
Range: 6 :bolt:
Keywords: Extreme Justice, Justice League International, Scientist, Super Buddies
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst8917289162710152791527915168141KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO(Attack) BB Gun: Blue Beetle can use Force Blast and Incapacitate. He can also be given a power action to make a ranged combat attack targeting a single opposing character (ignoring friendly characters for line of fire purposes). If the attack succeeds the target is dealt no damage; instead, roll a d6. The target is knocked back a number of squares equal to the result -2 (minimum 1 square); the target breaks away automatically, can move through squares adjacent to opposing characters, and can be dealt knock back damage.
(Damage) Bwah-ha-ha-hah!: Blue Beetle can use Perplex. When Blue Beetle is adjacent to a friendly Booster Gold, he can use Outwit.

Infamously known for his "one punch" drop of Guy Gardner, Batman was actually on loan to the JLI out of pity:
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/5784/jl51.jpghttp://img12.imageshack.us/img12/9771/intjlipunch.jpg
jl001 V Batman
Team: Batman Ally
Keywords: Detective, Gotham City, JLA, Justice League, Justice League of America, Justice League International, Outsiders
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst8111737101627916178151610152610152611142KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO(Speed) Out of the Shadows: Once per turn, when Batman occupies hindering terrain and is given any action that is not a free action, before the action you may place Batman in any square of hindering terrain 6 or fewer squares away to which he has a clear line of fire.

The recipient of that punch, the ever foul-mouthed, big-headed, and brash Green Lantern, Guy Gardner:
http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/img/g/Guy_Gardner.jpg
jl055 V Green Lantern
Team: Green Lantern Corps
Keywords: Green Lantern Corps, Justice League International, Super Buddies, Warrior
m-winga-fistd-shieldg-starburst10101621091638916388153891627101727815268142KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO(Speed) In Your Face: Green Lantern can use Flurry. If both attacks using Flurry target a single opposing character, modify Green Lantern's damage value by +1 for the second attack.

Actually re-imagined into some sort of tough feminist was Green Arrow's beloved Diana Lance, better known as Black Canary:
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/259/blackcanarya.jpg
jl011 E Black Canary
Range: 4 :bolt:
Keywords: Birds of Prey, Justice League, Justice League International, Justice League of America, Justice Society, Martial Artist, Star City
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst8101628916179161791517816278172KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO(Attack) Canary Cry: Black Canary can use Energy Explosion and Incapacitate.

Having a kid harnessing the power of a couple of gods on your side of the fight is never a bad thing, especially when it's...SHAZAM!:
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4311/7823863944captainmarvel.jpg
or080 E Shazam!
Range: 0 :bolt:
Archenemy: Mister Mind (White)
Keywords: Kid, Justice League International
m-winga-fistd-shieldg-starburst7816110101748101649101648917389163691536815368152KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Wielding another sort of mystical energies is Dr. Fate:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5b/AllStars3.jpg/250px-AllStars3.jpg
un070 R Doctor Fate
Team: No Affiliation
Keywords: Justice League International, Mystical
m-winga-fistd-shieldg-starburst88162881627815277151771416714166141KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

On the other side of the spectrum brings us quite an innocuous member of the squad, Dr. Light:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__zYhJoomgQQ/SeAqlViHDsI/AAAAAAAAAGA/48iLvdpr6mM/s320/DoctorLight.jpg
jl013 E Dr. Light
Keywords: Justice League Europe, Scientist
m-winga-fistd-shieldg-starburst881718917189161781517715167141KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

After combining this massive 10-man roster, translating into a 1,000 point squad, we get:

Martian Manhunter (BB) w/ Camouflage
Mister Miracle & Oberon w/ Heightened Reflexes
Blue Beetle w Repulsor
Batman (JL) w/ Endurance
Guy Gardner
Black Canary
Shazam! (E Origin) w/ Hold The Line
Doctor Fate (R Unleashed) w/ Construct
Dr. Light (JL)
----------------------------------------------
1,000 points

Around my parts, we play with a max of 5 +Leadership actions for games over 600 points. With that in mind, here's how one should run this squad: with Mister Miracle & Oberon more than able to hold their own in close combat with what an 18DV supplanted by Combat Reflexes and Perplex alongside with the dual-base, they will be serving as your main tie-up figure; a single ping to Defense leaves them at 21DV in close combat and a 19 at range, nothing to scoff at.

This will allow the rest of your force to move about freely, especially that of an Endurance'd Batman backed up by Fate's PC: push away like crazy and PC away the bad rolls that clicks up Batman. Should the cowl be down a few clicks, there's Dr. Light who you should also push away as the main taxi or laying down Barrier in between offensive turns, all the while pushing to reach the Support clicks. At this point, fall back with her so she can continue to heal your team back topdial. On the off chance, should Fate be pushed onto his Barrier clicks, be sure to lay down the Barriers in a manner where it protects your team AND ties down the opposition, thanks to Construct.

Black Canary will provide stealthed cover and serve as a minor tie-up/meat shield whereas Blue Beetle will supply the Perplex to raise AVs or DVs where necessary, sometimes pumping Damage for an extra oomph in an attack. Repulsor is very accurate, representing Blue Beetle's tendency to blast his foes off rooftops with his Force Blast gun, so be sure to capitalize on opportunities where you can attack and deal KB damage. And we're only talking about the support guys.

This whole time, the little guys should be allowing your big bruisers free rein of the map, smacking down the opposition: Martian Manhunter will be strafing with his hit-and-run tactics until he lands on those godly middle clicks which will then force the full investment of the opponent's attention to simply get past J'onnz's Defense, which is also protected by Camouflage. Shazam! and Guy Gardner will bring down their own style of up-close combat, with Shazam! falling into mid-dial HSS and Gardner gaining mid-dial Flurry, both capable of laying down the ultimate hurt. Hold the Line, coupled with nearly a dial full of Super Strength, will allow Shazam! to attack more targets once he finds himself based in a brawl.

All in all, this 1,000 point team is quite a tough nut to crack, especially if one finds practically half of his force tied down by a high DV dual base figure, being sniped by support pieces and bashed in the head by the bruisers.

Hope you found this article entertaining! Check back in two weeks for another installment of COMIC ACCURATE: DC EDITION!

afinley2429
05/03/2010, 01:27
fail. No booster gold he was an original member

hot_fusion
05/03/2010, 02:15
While I would personally find a way to fit Booster Gold in there, this team does a great job representing the cover of JLI #1.

michiganj24
05/03/2010, 02:21
Yeah w/O Booster you are wasting half of Beetles Bwahaha but I am glad you used Batman so many forgot he was part of the team

MindsEnd
05/03/2010, 02:39
Since we are running a 400pt format no feats, I'm planning the following team

jl011 E Black Canary
jl055 V Green Lantern
batb Fire and Ice duo
batb Booster Gold and Blue Beetle duo

Anachronic
05/03/2010, 03:03
To be fair, the team he gave is legitimately better without Booster Gold around. The main guys to get rid of to make room for him, Dr. Light, Dr. Fate, or Batman, are definitely better figures than E Booster Gold (though I love the veteran, he only had the Celebrity keyword). In fact, E Booster Gold kinda sucks, even with Blue Beetle. If you really really want to play him, by all means, choose which one of the above you most dislike and swap freely, but he's far from competitive.

Though, if you're not a competitive type of player, then I suppose you wouldn't be using feats. In that case, you'll have plenty of room for R Booster Gold! He has enhancement in there somewhere, and super strength? I dunno, it doesn't matter, if you want to play him there ya go.

tidge
05/03/2010, 05:53

Booster didn't join until issue 4 or 5. Of course, the book was still "Justice League" at that point.

Blubeard
05/03/2010, 07:21

yes and no. definitely fail without booster (and afaic, the blue and gold duo is VERY worth it)

however he is not an original member. he doesn't show up until about issue #5 or 6 (i cant recall exactly)

bah! i should've read all of the responses...ive essentially just repeated tidge....

Blubeard
05/03/2010, 07:26
To be fair, the team he gave is legitimately better without Booster Gold around. The main guys to get rid of to make room for him, Dr. Light, Dr. Fate, or Batman, are definitely better figures than E Booster Gold (though I love the veteran, he only had the Celebrity keyword). In fact, E Booster Gold kinda sucks, even with Blue Beetle. If you really really want to play him, by all means, choose which one of the above you most dislike and swap freely, but he's far from competitive.

Though, if you're not a competitive type of player, then I suppose you wouldn't be using feats. In that case, you'll have plenty of room for R Booster Gold! He has enhancement in there somewhere, and super strength? I dunno, it doesn't matter, if you want to play him there ya go.

but the blue and gold duo is a support piece gold mine. the free +1 to attack to any adjacent figs with the same keyword (or duos) is VERY good. add that to the perplex they get (or outwit if it is needed) and they are a very solid support fig. especially when using the JLI ATA...its very easy to maneuver them to the click you need them on and keep down the damage on your teammmates.

HH2011003
05/03/2010, 07:44
If I may put on my nerd-hat for a minute:

This team is a fantastic representation of the JLA from the cover of Justice League #1. The comic didn't turn into "Justice League International" until issue #7, and by that point the team already included both Booster Gold and Rocket Red.

So it's sort of a comic-accurate-fail in name only. It's a very solid "All-New Justice League!" team... but the cover to the first issue technically featuring the JLI shows a slightly different roster.

yes and no. definitely fail without booster (and afaic, the blue and gold duo is VERY worth it)

however he is not an original member. he doesn't show up until about issue #5 or 6 (i cant recall exactly)
It was issue #3 when Max first shoehorned Booster Gold into the team... and issue #4 where Booster gets properly voted in.

And yes, were it me I'd totally opt to knock off a few feat cards for the Blue and Gold duo, their theme-team-buffing SP is perfect for this build.

Man, that was WAY too much geeking before I've even had my coffee.

Troma99
05/03/2010, 07:55
Ooo I like this but now I'm waiting for someone to do a piece (Including Strategy) on "The Super Buddies"

(Sorry I just got done reading "Formerly Known As Justice League)

THE MERCHANDISE WILL REMAIN SILENT!

sol
05/03/2010, 08:52
Nice team! I played an 800 point version of it a couple weeks ago.

darius_dax1
05/03/2010, 09:00
I just ran a 400 point, 50% floor event.

I prepped the following team which my wife played against me (not in tournament):
65 CR030 Blue Beetle
65 OR044 Booster Gold
58 UN036 Rocket Red
10 CDB007 Oberon
202 BATB Martain Manhunter

I called it the JLI Taxi Ride.

Wombatboy
05/03/2010, 09:00
I'm sort of mixed opinion on this article - I love the Giffen/Dematteis run on Justice League (can't wait for them to take over BOOSTER GOLD) so kudos on the choice of team but why do a 1000 point team of a group that stayed together for only one issue since Dr. Light turned down their offer of membership? I'd rather see a focus on people who were core members throughout the run of the book.

Amora's_best_friend
05/03/2010, 09:17
I love the team apart from OotS Batman. I just really hate that figure.

fox007
05/03/2010, 09:26
i plan to run this Justice League International team at 700 pts:
BatB Martian Manhunter 202 *
-Camouflage 8
BatB Blue Beetle/Booster Gold 82 *
jl Batman 75 *
BatB Fire/Ice 131 *
jl Green Lantern 133 (Guy "one-punch" Gardner) *
jl Black Canary 50 *
*Justice International ATA

pLiCk
05/03/2010, 10:08
i have the 10 part graphic novle (got it when i was 10) reread it all the time, got me into justice league and in my mind booster is in the team

Clclix
05/03/2010, 10:17
but the blue and gold duo is a support piece gold mine. the free +1 to attack to any adjacent figs with the same keyword (or duos) is VERY good. add that to the perplex they get (or outwit if it is needed) and they are a very solid support fig. especially when using the JLI ATA...its very easy to maneuver them to the click you need them on and keep down the damage on your teammmates.

This is so true here. Blue and Gold are such a nice support piece. I played them on a team with Oots Batman, Miracle and Oberon, Crisis Blue Beetle (dont like dupes, but didn't have a keywork list on me), and Martian Manhunter. I always tried to move Blue and Gold somewhere for adjacency for thier power, and it paid off. I waas in an indoor map and I perplexed them up and busted walls with them for terain for Batman to Oots to. Worked like a charm, even won the tourney with a Kid Zoom on the board nerfing Martain Manhunters HSS. I look forward to playing JLI again.

Cyclops2342
05/03/2010, 10:19
Honestly this team, writers and cast of characters is what brought me to DC Comics. Otherwise I would have stuck strictly to Marvel with the exception of Shazam (I have always liked the concept of the character and the family).

flakbait
05/03/2010, 10:26
Huge huge fan of the JLI. I need to get the new Fire and Ice and Blue and Gold and Miracle/Oberon figs, though.

I actually played a few of the Super Buddies yesterday, we had a tourney that was half sealed and half constructed. I brought the Crisis Beetle, Origin Experienced Gold, and G'nort. The three of them play amazingly well together. Everyone knocks that E Booster, but he's got a pretty long dial and that charge with an object (with some perplex help from his pal Beetle) can be a great surprising finishing move. G'nort is handy at the beginning for his PC, then awesome for running amok in the enemy support units who will likely hit him right into his Outwit/18 defense clix.

rollinsolo
05/03/2010, 11:32
Great Article, thanks for all the work. "Must spread the rep around."

DaeRave
05/03/2010, 12:14
seriously, no Booster Gold is unforgivable.

theanalogkid
05/03/2010, 12:23
Honestly this team, writers and cast of characters is what brought me to DC Comics. Otherwise I would have stuck strictly to Marvel with the exception of Shazam (I have always liked the concept of the character and the family).

You took over my spot, then. I read it until it got "funny." The League is not a funny book (at least to me). It could have humorous elements (like Plastic Man) but the League vs. some menace should be the story, not some set-ups for jokes. I didn't come back to the book until Grant Morrison reintroducted the Big Seven.

Iron Man 49
05/03/2010, 13:44
Right up there with Young Justice as one of my favorite comic runs of ALL TIME.

Superclone
05/03/2010, 14:47

If you aren't competitive, I would always approach a judge of a golden age tourney if you can play the LE Michael Carter from Origin and have him count as Booster Gold.

CarlosMucha
05/03/2010, 15:36
You took over my spot, then. I read it until it got "funny." The League is not a funny book (at least to me). It could have humorous elements (like Plastic Man) but the League vs. some menace should be the story, not some set-ups for jokes. I didn't come back to the book until Grant Morrison reintroducted the Big Seven.

I agree.

I have mix feelings about this team. For start this was the first and only JLA I collect because it was NOT other JLA book before in my country. I enjoy it but never feel right to me for the JLA to be ridiculous.

My Favorite JLA is the Satellite Era! (JLA original series #78 to 232) that is Epic, that is awesome!

You can make good comedy books with other teams or series but the JLA is the greatest DC group so is not for comedy, but well, is a past thing now. :p

Good review!

flakbait
05/03/2010, 15:45
You guys aren't giving the stories enough credit. The adventures that team had were, for the most part, just as serious as any other. The characters are clever and witty rather than boring and stuffy, and they were given plenty of room to develop their own personalities. That was a huge step forward for DC, a universe in which most of the time there was hardly a difference between the various heroes other than their powers. It was a character-driven book, not a villain-of-the-month fighting interchangeable lantern-jawed heroes book.

lancelot
05/03/2010, 17:34
You guys aren't giving the stories enough credit. The adventures that team had were, for the most part, just as serious as any other. The characters are clever and witty rather than boring and stuffy, and they were given plenty of room to develop their own personalities. That was a huge step forward for DC, a universe in which most of the time there was hardly a difference between the various heroes other than their powers. It was a character-driven book, not a villain-of-the-month fighting interchangeable lantern-jawed heroes book.
^
This. JLE (Europe) and JLI just had that quality for me...a comic book with the usual elements, only driven by characters rather than the plot. Good ol' days!

Pepsirox08
05/03/2010, 18:15
Martian Manhunter 202
Blue and Gold 82
MM and Oberon 115
Total 399, playing this in two weeks, should be fun!

DR21
05/03/2010, 18:51
I always play Booster Gold with Blue Beetle if I run JLI. In fact that is the only reason I ever run JLI. Forget what issue Booster came on or when the title changed. These two are the Bert and Ernie of DC. They must stay together even when things are strangely uncomfortable.

On another note I don't think you can put CAMOUFLAGE on the new Martian Manhunter because of the wording. His trait says he can "use" shapechange, I think to use the feat the character must have the power. It is the "use" "have" issue. I may be wrong, and I hope I am because if he can float around and ignore most if not all range attacks then he is a 210pt BEAST!

lancelot
05/03/2010, 22:53
Use or Possess is fine. Traits just means you cannot Outwit the powers provided by Traits but you can Outwit the powers if they are "possessed" as opposed to "used".

HH2011003
05/04/2010, 09:43
I sort of feel like you should pick up some of the later issues and give them another shot. The book always had humorous elements, but the issues where Despero showed up are truly intense, and some of my favorite comics ever.

datjunk11
05/04/2010, 13:41
Add booster he needs more creit but coodos for adding bats

szude
05/04/2010, 16:42
Played this team at 500 pts last night:

BatB Martian Manhunter
Leg E Batman
BatB Booster & Beetle
V Huntress
V Icons Aquaman
JLI card

I planned on using Huntress to take some damage with the card but I never had her in the right spot. She took a couple shots instead. Manhunter kicked butt though.

Rurouni KJS
05/10/2010, 19:22
I played a JLI team last week. See how it did in the "What did you play? How did it do?" thread in Combat Formations subforum or on my blog.