PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy Room The Trophy Room: #102 Clark Kent

ol_Dut
05/14/2010, 00:14
ol_Dut’s LE Review
#102 Clark Kent
by Justin Dekker

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=924&pictureid=9853

As we wrap up our look at the LE figures from the Brave and the Bold, we turn our attention to Clark Kent, Superman’s alter ego and the granddaddy of superhero comics. Can the first Clark Kent LE live up to his lofty lineage? If your x-ray vision isn’t working today, click on in and find out!

ol_Dut
05/14/2010, 00:19
As is our custom, let’s begin by taking a look at the relevant dials. LE Clark comes first, then AE Clark followed by Superman. Remember, for the purposes of this article we’re really only concerned with the three (3) clicks on Superman’s dial that come after the orange AE starting line, so don’t start drooling over those Hypersonic clicks. They don’t apply.

Here are Le Clark, AE Clark and AE Supes.

#102 U Clark Kent
Team: No Affiliation
Range: 0 :bolt:
Keywords: Reporter
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal58151581515714157131KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOSpeed - Investigative Reporting: Give Clark a power action. Choose an opposing character within 6 squares. That character can't use Stealth this turn and their combat values cannot be modified this turn.

#002 Rookie Clark Kent
Team: No Affiliation
Range: 0 :bolt:
Keywords: Metropolis, Reporter, Trinity
m-normala-normald-normalg-normal5816168161691628917289171KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOSpeed - Alter Ego: Superman Give Clark Kent a power action and replace this character w a B&B #017 Superman on its orange starting line. Existing action tokens from this character, as well as action tokens and pushing damage for this action are applied to the replacement Superman. If replaced, no victory points are awarded for this character and the replacement Superman is considered to be 48 points for all game effects.

#017 Rookie Superman
Team: Superman Ally
Range: 8 :bolt::bolt:
Keywords: Metropolis, Reporter, Trinity
m-winga-normald-normalg-normal129184129184121018412101851210174119175119174||||1091749917389163KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=924&pictureid=9848
Superman loves to spank, too!

Le Clark’s (#102) Gains vs. AE Clark(#002)/Supes(#017)
Nowhere near as fancy and complicated as Diana Prince, Le Clark only picks up two things in this incarnation: four (4) clicks of the Investigative Reporting special power and three (3) clicks of Willpower. But what do you want for 23 points, you greedy devil?

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=924&pictureid=9850
This is a side of Superman we never see anymore.

Le Clark’s (#102) Losses vs. AE Clark(#002)/Supes(#017)
For openers, Le Clark drops four (4) clicks of life; one from AE Clark and three from AE Superman. Also whisked away to the Phantom Zone are seven (7) clicks of Toughness, three (3) of Perplex and one (1) of Charge. Numerically Le Clark suffers as well. Six clicks of nine (9) attacks disappear. Le Clark is left with a pair of sevens and a pair of eights. Not a great poker hand, and not too pretty on a combat dial’s attack track either. AE Clark and Superman have speeds ranging from five (5) to 10, with most of the numbers sitting at eight (8) or better. Now traditionally Superman’s speed rivals that of the Flash. Evidently as Le Clark, however, he’s slower than the Blob. Alright, maybe he’s faster than Rookie and Experienced Blob. Perhaps he’s got more quicks than LE Fred Dukes. But Vet Blob on his opening click is going to be the first one to the big bag of Funyuns. And that’s just shameful and wrong. Wrong and shameful.

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=924&pictureid=9854

Mmmm. Funyuns...

Damage output suffers as well. Armed only with a hat, a killer spit-curl and glare that asks, “Am I serious or just constipated?”, Le Clark is pumping out nothing but ones. Zoinks! You’d think, if nothing else, that a handful of office supplies could enable Le Clark to do two (2) damage. Getting stapled? That’s probably one damage. Getting hit with the stapler? That’s got to be closer to two (2). Getting attacked by a staple remover? If it didn't take off a chunk of your nose, you'd at least bleed a lot so maybe two (2). One of those big paper cutters have to do about three (3). I mean, they could take off fingers! I don’t know. At any rate, it’s embarrassing to see any iteration of Superman with a damage output so low. AE Clark, at least, is capable of up to three (3) damage thanks to his Perplex. He knows where the paper cutter is. And AE Supes is rolling with a four (4) and a pair of threes (3s). Those numbers aren’t that spectacular either, but they are a darn sight better than a fist full of ones. Ones!

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=924&pictureid=9847
Let's call this one foreshadowing.

Lastly, AE Superman brings range into the mix with a solid eight (8) and two targets, so he can be a menace to threats near and far. Le Clark is going to have to love the one he’s with.

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=924&pictureid=9851
Hmmm. Supes seems to be taking more than he's dishing out.

If ol_Dut had to Choose
Le Clark vs. AE Clark Kent/AE Superman?

Here’s were I get hung up on the whole AE mechanic. For it to make sense to me, I need a good (if not great) figure to start with so that if I never get the chance to transform I don’t feel like I “wasted” points. In addition, since I’m a conniving, selfish and greedy little blighter, I want the dangled promise of transformation to be, well, if not spectacular, at least worth all the risk and waiting.

What do I get in this particular AE set up? Well, for 48 points I get Clark Kent (#002), a bespectacled nerd who moves at the speed of slow. Thanks to those opening eight (8) attacks he’s not going to hit much, and even if he does, that one (1) damage isn’t going to scare anyone - not even the Street Thug from Arkham. So what are my 48 points getting me? Near as I can figure, it’s four clicks of Toughness (who cares?) and three sporadic clicks of Perplex - and as a bonus, you’ve even got to push off that first click to get to the brown gold. Well zip-a-dee-do-da. Then, if you’ve been good, said your prayers, eaten your vegetables and shaved the yak, then, and only if you’re really superbly lucky, then, Blart Kent transforms into, well, not really Superman, but something Super-Like. Let’s call him “Nifty-Man”.

Over the massive expanse of this three blazingly short clicks of life, Nifty-Man can Charge and hit somebody for four (4), if his nine attack lets him. Once he’s off that click, Nifty just has to stand there and keep swinging away with that nine (9). Uhg. Again, I hate to sound greedy, but is that all there is? That’s it? The whole time I’m fielding Blart Kent, I’m begging for him to get spanked to the point where he can transform because sadly, these three crummy clicks are better than the five that Blart contributes to the equation. But am I really happy with these three clicks as the payoff for my 48 points? This is my money shot? Yawn. This is not going to tear me off the couch from having a snack and taking a nap.

So just as a quick recap: 1.) Beg for AE Clark to die, 2.) Transform into Nifty, 3.) Ask self, “All that mucking about for this?” and 4.) Regret leaving couch, Funyuns and nap.

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=924&pictureid=9849
AE Clark begging to die. And he LOVES it!!

Le Clark on the other hand, vive la difference. He’s not flashy or fancy. He’s just got one trick, and it’s something that no one else can do and he does it well. It’s called Investigative Reporting, yet happily it has nothing to do with scam money-making schemes, government corruption or Wolf Blitzer. It’s a special power that enables Le Clark to take away Stealth and any ability to modify numbers from any single enemy within six (6) squares. Wow. Sure his own stats are somewhere south of horrible, but Le Clark should never be put in a position where he should need to worry about that. Some big bruiser will end up carrying him along, Le Clark will take all those fun abilities away from a foe, and then the bruiser will come in and destroy said foe. Maybe Le Clark gets TK’d, maybe he walks by himself with that Willpower, who knows. But the point is, Le Clark is about tagging along and supporting the team. His numbers and his powers speak to that, and for the small point investment, he really has the ability to make everyone on his team better – or at least more effective. He should never be put in a position where he needs to fight or fend for himself. He needs to avoid combat at every turn, weasel around the board, and make life miserable for his opponents at every available opportunity. If Le Clark ever has to make an attack roll, something is very wrong.

Are there feats you could tack on him? Sure, but I would hesitate to do so if for no other reason than we’re already getting a pretty good payout for the 23 points and any feats risk ballooning his cost and trying to turn him into something he isn’t. That special power of his is on every one of his four clicks, and frankly, that’s the only reason I’d be interested in having him on my team. Blart Kent and Nifty-Man? Keep ‘em. I’m going with LE Clark Kent every single time. He may be a one-trick pony, but it’s a pretty good trick.

Tune in next week for more. Thanks for reading!

More Fun With Batman
http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=924&pictureid=9852

spider_ham
05/14/2010, 01:56
For 40 points, LE Clark Kent and LE Lois Lane make the cheapest and most effective anti-Stealth duo.

BTW, Lian Harper + Kinetic Accelerator beats Blob to the Funyuns, leaving him nothing but an empty bag of crumbs. :(

crazymike2501
05/14/2010, 02:44
i am seeing a new keyword...

crimson_triangle
05/14/2010, 03:29
where the hell do you get these spanking images?

crownroyal578
05/14/2010, 03:51
That's....a LOT of spanking....

Grats. Now I can never take Superman seriously again! XD

Danzig01
05/14/2010, 07:54
OK! I've got it. Dut's super villian alter-ego. He's the Kid's Next Door's arch enemy.....COUNT SPANKULA! :bolt::grin:

GreenMan
05/14/2010, 08:16
That was a funny thread! Good points all around. I like ae Clark better, but for the points I wouldn't mind having le Clark. As far as the funny super clips go, I saw them at a site a while back. The Batman ones were Hilarious! (and a little creepy!)
And the funyuns debate is moot.
Nobody will EVER be able to beat me to the bag of oniony goodness.

i am seeing a new keyword...
Btw, This reply is just as funny as the thread!

commandercool
05/14/2010, 08:28
I like LE Clark a lot. I'm going to have to pick him up for sure. Why couldn't Lois have had a dial like that (besides the non-existence of special powers at that time)?

Blubeard
05/14/2010, 08:50
where the hell do you get these spanking images?

more than likely from this site (http://superdickery.com/)

its a very amusing site.

thanks for the fun article :)

red king
05/14/2010, 09:06
Mmmmm.... Funyuns!

ol_Dut
05/14/2010, 09:13
more than likely from this site (http://superdickery.com/)

its a very amusing site.

thanks for the fun article :)

I've never seen that site before, but I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the link!

PISCEAN
05/14/2010, 11:09
All I can say is ol'Dut- GET OUT OF MY MIND!!!!
Very much on the same page again. Anti Stealth with a touch of Outsiders for 23 points is pretty darn good. AE Clark just sucks along with the AE trinity.

I like the concept of the AE mechanic but so far , the execution is mostly full of fail. The only one worth a damn to me is Jason Blood. You use him for cheap PC and Mystics and if he looks like he might buy the farm you transform him and he can still do the job he was hired for with the addition of some perplex. Batman would be similar if he maintained the Outwit upon transformation, but alas no, he turns into the mindless bruiser he usually sends to the lockup.

UniqueLoginNamor
05/14/2010, 12:32
When i saw this thread i instinctively though to be a smart-alec and post "this thread sucks because no one gets spanked" Guess i was wrong. There's no Wonder Woman though.

son of shamrock
05/14/2010, 12:43
A lot of kinky awkwardness back in the day.

flakbait
05/14/2010, 13:07
I agree, though I actually really dig the regular Clark w/Superman in the wings. A perplexer that you can keep hovering around in the midst of combat daring your opponent to smack him is pretty fun. Hopefully by the time Supes comes in the enemy has been weakened enough that he can mop up.

PONX
05/14/2010, 15:05
Just to verify... "within 6 squares" so, no need for LoF for that ability right?

DrugSex
05/14/2010, 17:05
My problem here is that, so many times, Clark have save people at super-speed (yep, Clark, not Superman), he even recieves bullets at his back and this clix don't represent that, i think he deserves 2 more points in SV and 1 in DV and remenber, he maybe don't wear the red cape but he's still Superman, they should have given him the Superman TA.

mr_moneypenny
05/14/2010, 19:31
Another great read, Dut! Thanks for the giggles, man.
Now that the BatB LE reviews are (sadly) exhausted, any chance you'll double back and pick up / shoot down some Hammer of Thor LE's? (That's basically just my way of daring you to find pictures of Skull-Brother being spanked...)
Thanks again!
-jason

Batarang96
05/14/2010, 21:11
Where is all this spanking carp coming from??

maddragon13
05/15/2010, 01:21
Thanks to ol' Dut, I'll never be able to take Supes or Bats seriously again... :ermm:

But as usual, the article was insightful and fun to read. Keep up the great reviews Dut!!! ;)

SLVRSR4
05/15/2010, 02:02
Was that Lois Lane as a Star Saphire?

fastcat99
05/15/2010, 17:43
2 for 2 on being completely awesome! Boy, do I look forward to Wonder Woman next week!

Grumpygoat
05/16/2010, 19:39
Batman would be similar if he maintained the Outwit upon transformation, but alas no, he turns into the mindless bruiser he usually sends to the lockup.

He still has Perplex, which changes how he supports the team, but still allows him to support the team. Other than Jason Blood, he's probably the best of the alter egos - and relatively deadly to boot, as he can sit on an 18 defense with Stealth and Toughness after you transform him, then grant him either a 3 damage or 12 attack when he can finally act. Or let him attack someone while Perplexing an ally.

Bruce and Batman may not be spectacular pieces, but I'd say they have their uses.

Herrbrane
05/16/2010, 23:31
2 for 2 on being completely awesome! Boy, do I look forward to Wonder Woman next week!

He already did Wonder Woman (did it first I think)

m0rpheus
05/17/2010, 02:13
I was really hoping that Clark Kent would be a neat take on Superman using his powers on the sly. Like a short range with Incap (to simulate him using his cold breath) or a little RCE (him lowering the glasses and using the old heat vision).

Instead we got these. Sigh.

tidge
05/17/2010, 06:35
The LE has utility, to be sure....but I would rather see that dial called "Jimmy Olsen" than "Clark Kent".

The SWP "Investigative Reporting" is a nice compromise *away* from the Superman TA (sorry Wildcards), but giving the figure Leap/Climb (and move the SWP to a different slot) would have made it PERFECT.

Ginormous
05/17/2010, 13:44
All I can say is ol'Dut- GET OUT OF MY MIND!!!!
Very much on the same page again. Anti Stealth with a touch of Outsiders for 23 points is pretty darn good. AE Clark just sucks along with the AE trinity.

I disagree. AE Diana Prince has already saved my bacon more times than I can count. For 32 points, a 9 attack support will cure what ails you. You're going to be supporting against a 16 or less almost every time. You can team her up with any deep dial and keep on healing. Through in the indigo lantern for 5 points if you like and she's a health gas station. Run out, hit opponent, run back and fill up. Repeat.

The one time I used alter ego with her, was a game I had wrapped up, so I pushed her just to do it. I haven't gotten to play with that Wonder Woman yet.

Ginormous
05/17/2010, 13:51
Just to verify... "within 6 squares" so, no need for LoF for that ability right?

That is correct. Any opponent's figure within 6 squares. For 23 points you are cancelling stealth, and that character won't be perplexed or enhanced. Pretty sweet deal.

spider_ham
05/17/2010, 14:03
I was really hoping that Clark Kent would be a neat take on Superman using his powers on the sly. Like a short range with Incap (to simulate him using his cold breath) or a little RCE (him lowering the glasses and using the old heat vision).

LE Clark needs to be kept out of harm's way when he uses the SP (build a Barrier around him or put him behind a wall). You could always use LE Lois Lane (Origin), who can provide wild cards with the Superman Ally TA for 6 points less (17). However, Clark has the added bonus or preventing the target's combat values from being modified-- don't target a character with the Move and Attack ability unless absolutely necessary. Better yet, use Lois and Clark for 40 points. :)

However, Clark, Cap (HoT) and any character that can counter/ignore Stealth or can't have their lines of fire blocked are still nerfed by Open Grave on the Blackest Night map.

Grumpygoat
05/17/2010, 17:39

This Clark Kent represents Superman without his powers. Furthermore, his special power is way more useful than the stuff you're suggesting.

WestCoastAvengers
07/11/2011, 20:53
He basically has the Outsiders TA +.