PDA

View Full Version : Comic Accurate COMIC ACCURATE: Madrox

Arsenalroy2k
09/21/2010, 03:32
http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=669&pictureid=7799
featuring...
Madrox

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1014&pictureid=12225

Arsenalroy2k, still filling in for Dr. Morbius. This time, we're looking at the five issue miniseries from late 2004, focusing on Jamie Madrox, that spawned the relaunch of X-Factor.

Quebbster
09/21/2010, 04:56
mod note: as usual, the article had to be divided into two pieces to not clutter the front page.
If you want to rep AR2K, make sure you do so in the first post. Thanks! /Q

Now I'd have loved to have done an article about the modern day lineup of X-Factor, but unfortunately only half the team has been made. So we have to work with what's available. In the Madrox miniseries, Jamie (along with Guido and Rahne) investigate the murder of one of his dupes. Wackiness ensues.

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1014&pictureid=12222
sn051 V Madrox
Team: No Affiliation
Range: 0 :bolt:
Keywords: Detective, Mutant, X-Factor
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst891627916278162681526714.KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1014&pictureid=12223
mu005 E Strong Guy
Team: X-Men
Keywords: Mutant, X-Factor
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst6916369173791737101838101848101746111645914557135KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO
(Defense) Bodyguard: Strong Guy can use Defend and Toughness.

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1014&pictureid=12224
ws029 V Wolfsbane
Keywords: Animal, Excalibur, Hellions, New Mutants, Teen, X-Factor, X-Force
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst81017289162891627916271015279153KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO
(Special) Form of the Wolf: Wolfsbane can use Combat Reflexes and Super Senses

Now those three come out to 233 points. They're going to be the core of our team and we'll just build off those since we have options of where to go from there thanks to all the Madrox/Multiple Man figures we can use as his dupes. Options that start with this guy...

sn050 E Multiple Man
Keywords: Mutant, X-Factor
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst89162781627715177151KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Now if you're going for a strictly keyword based team, E Multiple Man is the only other thematic figure with the X-Factor keyword. But he's worth it. 32 points for Perplex and some decent close combat powers later on, if you don't have them X-Men TA each other back up. Play a bunch of these guys. Our core trio with two of these bad boys bring our points up to 297; three more at a time will keep increasing your build by 96 points.

But if you don't want to put all your eggs in the E Multiple Man basket, and you can get your local judge to house rule theme teams, this brings us to our next dupe...

sn049 R Multiple Man
Keywords: Mutant
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst89162771527615166141KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

This 17 point fella doesn't have many clicks, which guarantees he's going to have a short lifespan, but that's okay. That means you can push him to either attack, tie up opponents or serve as an X-Men TA battery for the less expendable members of your team. If you have a lot of the E Multiple Men, he's even more frustrating.

As for the rest...

sn205 LE James Madrox
Keywords: Mutant
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst8916288161781517715267142KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

The LE is different from the other Jamies in that this one starts with Super Strength. So if you don't want Guido as your only Strong Guy on the team, this guy can come in handy. Plus, he clicks into some late dial Perplex, which is rarely a bad thing.

snB001 Jamie Madrox
Team: No Affiliation
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst89162KOKOKOKO

At ten points cheaper than the rookie Multiple Man, he's three clicks shorter with no powers, but he's the exact same stats. Don't underestimate this guy, especially with the E Multiple Men nearby.

I'm building a 400 point team, and decided to go with a my original trio, three of the Experienced Jamies, one rookie and the LE. Brings my total to 385. I've put Running Start on Rahne and Unstoppable on both Guido and the LE Jamie.

Of course, there is a tiny flaw to any of these teams. No range. So either choose your map and BFC wisely, or play these in a game where only zero range characters are allowed (or all ranges are cut down to zero). But aside from that, there's some good pieces in here. I've got a friend that has played purely Madrox teams in the past and has not done too shabby with them, those swarming Madri can be *very* frustrating.

So good luck with Madrox, whichever combinations of his dupes you go with. Next time, we're going to go with something... obscure.

LittleWoodenBoy
09/21/2010, 05:27
Didn't quite see this Comic Accurate coming, but then, I rarely do.
Chuckled a bit at the repeat pictures, even though it's 2:30 in the morning.

"Clone madness" always has my thumbs up. Props to an interesting team. Now all I want to do is find someone who has it, and play 400 points worth of (10) Multiplex, (1) Jackal and (1) Brilliant Tactician (on Jackal) against them...

winndwalker
09/21/2010, 10:27
Great stuff. You're still filling in for that guy? Man you should just take over the article already. Quit giving him credit for being absent.

Stainawarjar
09/21/2010, 10:30
Fantastic team, I've wanted to play this line-up for a while but not with IC Wolfsbane. I haven't had a chance to make a team like this with the new Wolfsbane yet and now you had to go and beat me to it ;)

Edit: Now that I've looked over it, I think I'd prefer the trio, five of the E and a pog... 400 on the nose, a theme team, and a LOT of perplex.

Ribbon
09/21/2010, 10:32
Great stuff. You're still filling in for that guy? Man you should just take over the article already. Quit giving him credit for being absent.

Arsenalroy2k definitely does a great job at it...they should both do them when morbius returns

cattmoe
09/21/2010, 10:33
did anyone else notice that Clay from this series was in the recent X-Force series? He was one of the Assasins after Domino. It was strongly hinted that he was somehow related to Madrox, but he's never shown up again... I always wondered what his deal was.

jackstar7
09/21/2010, 11:12
X-Factor remains the only X-book I read (right now anyways) and this team looks like it would face the same kind of uphill battle that the team typically gets itself into.

I hope we get Banshee-Siryn, M, and Layla sooner rather than later. Rictor would be welcome, too, though he probably would be made from the earlier era when he had powers.

Thunderclese
09/21/2010, 12:10
I've run an X-Factor version of this team several times. Usually with a Vet Madrox, and 3 or 4 Experienced ones, with Vet Quicksilver, back in the day using Swingline in most cases. I'm eager to use the new Wolfsbane with them and Strong Guy! Just need at least Monet and Siryn/Banshee to have a more rounded team!

lensnart
09/21/2010, 14:56
That rookie is amazing. Take 5 of them plus 2 E's plus one Vet and you have an awesome base for your team, all under 200 points. Surround the target(s), outwit defense and go to town.

I also had good success with non themes like a bunch of the rookies plus Winter Soldier and Nick Fury. Or bunch of rookies plus vet Icons Superman, just tie up the opponents and run and gun to your hearts content.

He is my favourite Marvel character and all told I have close to 30 between the four figs and a bunch more pogs, so I have tried quite a few different options.

No-Name
09/21/2010, 14:59
Honestly, with the sculpt re-use program, I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if they made both versions of Rictor. The old-school one with his earthquake powers, and post M-Day, with Willpower, maybe some Perplex or something of the sort, Charge maybe?

Either way, gotta love any homage to X-Factor. I loved the team back in the early 1990s, love the team now - thrilled as hell that Rahne is finally back where she belongs.

Now if they could just get rid of Monet, Shatterstar, and Darwin and replace them with Havok and Polaris.........

2 Gun Kid
09/21/2010, 18:08
No-Name...you kidding??? They just came back from Epic Space Adventures and you want them to be all Noir?

I personally hate Shatterstar but I love in the book how they turned him gay...mostly just because how pissed Lifield got about it. Monet fits in perfectly, and yeah...not too much of a Darwin fan but he's there "Sonic Screwdriver" someone who they can make do anything to make sense.

Arsenalroy2k
09/21/2010, 22:23

Geez, the guy is getting hitched, I think he's got a valid reason to be absent. And I have no interest in taking the column on full-time. When he's ready to come back, the articles are his again.

However... if lancelot is still on hiatus when Doc Morbius returns, I'd be more than willing to fill in with a few DC articles.

Now if they could just get rid of Monet, Shatterstar, and Darwin and replace them with Havok and Polaris.........

No. Just no. Monet is an important part of the group. And the second PAD realizes that Shatterstar's purpose is to flip out and kill people, a good book will become better. I wouldn't object to Havok doing a stint in the book, but only because he'd better handled in X-Factor than any other X-Title out there right now.

Okay, maybe X-Force.

I personally hate Shatterstar but I love in the book how they turned him gay...mostly just because how pissed Lifield got about it.

Technically, IIRC it was Loeb (or was it John Francis Moore) who was turning Shatterstar and Rictor gay all the way back in the original X-Force. But back then, they probably couldn't go as far with homosexual relationships as they can today. All PAD did is finally out them.

maddragon13
09/22/2010, 00:58
did anyone else notice that Clay from this series was in the recent X-Force series? He was one of the Assasins after Domino. It was strongly hinted that he was somehow related to Madrox, but he's never shown up again... I always wondered what his deal was.

Was Clay the dude with the sniper rifle that got yoked by the ninjas?

No-Name
09/22/2010, 01:19
No-Name...you kidding??? They just came back from Epic Space Adventures and you want them to be all Noir?

I personally hate Shatterstar but I love in the book how they turned him gay...mostly just because how pissed Lifield got about it. Monet fits in perfectly, and yeah...not too much of a Darwin fan but he's there "Sonic Screwdriver" someone who they can make do anything to make sense.

No, I'm not kidding. Growing up, there was only one spinoff X-Book I read consistently, and that was X-Factor. To me, in my heart of hearts, Havok and Polaris will always be X-Factor characters. I don't care about epic space adventures so much as I care about the characters being in the company of characters they belong with, and Alex and Lorna belong with Rahne, Jamie, and Guido. To me, those five characters are an essential quintet and I would LOVE to see them back together again. And I don't give a flying fart that going to a detective agency is low-key after going on space adventures.

And I never liked Shatterstar either. To me, he is every single negative aspect of the 90s rolled into one horribly lame character. He's a Youngblood character who accidentally wound up in the Marvel Universe. He is probably the character Rob Liefeld pretended to be when he was playing make believe on the playground in elementary school (which would explain why Liefeld's been taking "Shatterstar is gay" so hard). I can take solace though, that it seems that Shatterstar's moving on, because I definitely saw him on that panoramic painted image that spans upcoming X-Men titles, and he was wearing a slightly updated version of his old outfit, improbably ponytail and all. Since the other X-Books prefer to ignore X-Factor altogether, I take that as meaning that he's going to a different book.

And Monet just annoys me, to be honest. She's got next to no personality traits other than "stuck-up snotty #####" or "traumatized over her past as Penance". And with Guido apparently having a thing for her, all I can think is that Guido has GOT to get himself some better taste in women, because there is nothing appealing about Monet aside from the physical.

And Darwin, Darwin's just a nothing. I don't dislike him, but I don't like him either. As a character, he seems to have no purpose. He doesn't stand out in any way personality-wise to me.

SentryWill
09/22/2010, 01:40
And I never liked Shatterstar either. To me, he is every single negative aspect of the 90s rolled into one horribly lame character. He's a Youngblood character who accidentally wound up in the Marvel Universe. He is probably the character Rob Liefeld pretended to be when he was playing make believe on the playground in elementary school (which would explain why Liefeld's been taking "Shatterstar is gay" so hard).

Can some one say uber-Burn.
You deserve to be repped a trillion times or this comment.

mccordlarsen
09/22/2010, 03:33
I love this series! Jamie Madrox is on my top 5 all-time favs. list. I traded away to get Longshot so that I can play this team:
LE James Madrox
E. Multiple Man
R. Multiple Man
Wolfsbane (WoS)
Strong Guy
Shatterstar
Longshot

It's exactly 400 points. You don't get the key word, but it's still comic accurate and well...I've played it now 3 times and haven't lost yet.

konasavage
09/22/2010, 12:56
Personally I love that the REV of Madrox with one pog is exactly 100 points. I wish that they would do a new Clix update on XFactor all in one set like they did with Runaways and XForce. I would love to see :

Multiple Man (Generic)
Darwin
Longshot
Monet
Shatterstar
Banshee
Strong Guy
James Madrox
Layla Miller
Rictor

I know that is asking alot, so I would settle for a common dupe version with a rare James Madrox. A cool minion power would be great too.

Minion : X-Factor Investigations When a friendly character named James Madrox is within 8 squares, Multiple Man can use perplex.

cattmoe
09/23/2010, 21:52
I don't remember seeing clay in the last issue, but he was definitely one of the assassins that got hired to go after Domino.

Just weird that they never followed up on his story. At this point I doubt anyone remembers who he is. :ermm:

Skeet181
09/25/2010, 14:02
I hear the talk about 90s X-Factor, to me, my man Random deserves mentioning, too. Remember when X-Factor 92 with the pretty hologram came out.....I was one stoked kid when my mama brought that thing home for me. Loved the stories hated the art. Just remembered Guido and Alex's confrontation with Cyber......classic.

No-Name
09/25/2010, 16:33
Never was too crazy about Random, but I do love that classic moment from X-Factor # 88 where Havok defeats him with the power of a checking account.

As for bad artwork, I dunno. I liked Larry Stroman's art. Never was crazy about Quesada's, though.

DroppinSuga
10/02/2010, 10:01
I've never been an X-Factor fan, but that was a great read :)

No-Name
10/03/2010, 22:45
I've been searching high and low for the original Madrox miniseries, either in TPB or the individual issues. Haven't had any luck yet.