PDA

View Full Version : Comic Accurate COMIC ACCURATE: The Morlocks

Arsenalroy2k
01/16/2011, 00:03
http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1014&pictureid=12944
featuring...
The Morlocks

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1014&pictureid=14272

Arsenalroy2k here, bringing you a slightly different edition of Comic Accurate on our road to the release of Giant Size X-Men. This time around, we're focusing on Marvel's most misunderstood Mutants. And probably their stinkiest as well: It's the Morlocks!

Arsenalroy2k
01/16/2011, 05:25
Ah, the poor, poor Morlocks. Downtrodden and freakish. They're like the underground mutants from "Futurama", just a tad less funny. Whether they're getting slaughtered or one is trying to marry Kitty Pryde, they're a constant source of amusement.

Now since there are so few Morlocks in Heroclix, it's near impossible to put together a group based off a specific issue or storyline. So this time around we won't be so much Comic Accurate as we'll be Comic History Accurate as we build this team around... what's available. It's not like we're going to see many more coming, are we? Anyways, we'll go through the core of the group, pause to feat them up a bit, then return to the build.

Now we'll start out with the the person that (through a retcon) created the Morlock race, Dark Beast.

mu061 V Dark Beast
Team: The Brotherhood
Range: 0 :bolt:
Keywords: Brotherhood of Mutants, Morlocks, Mutant, Scientist
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst8101728917279162781627815297172KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO
(Attack) Sadistic: Dark Beast can use Exploit Weakness
(Damage) Cruel Experiment: Give Dark Beast a power action and roll a d6. On a result of 3-6, give an action token to an adjacent opposing character with zero or one action token. On a 5 or 6, deal 2 unavoidable damage to an adjacent opposing character. On a 6, deal 1 damage to each adjacent opposing character. Apply all applicable results, which may be split among different characters.

Next, we've got the woman that for a long time, led the Morlocks (almost into the ground, one could argue): Callisto.

ul207 LE Morlock Leader
Team: Morlocks
Range: 6 :bolt:
Keywords: Morlocks, Martial Artist
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst91015191015189141891317813178121KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Then we have the person that beat Callisto in combat and took her role as leader (before bailing on the gig), The X-Men's own Storm.

xp084 V Storm
Team: X-Men
Range: 10 :bolt:
Keywords: Hellfire Club, X-Men, X.S.E.
m-winga-fistd-shieldg-starburst10101528814267141671315613156121KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Our last core member is a little girl who grew up fast in the Morlocks. Really fast, in fact, thanks to Mikhail Rasputin and some time in an alternate dimension: It's Marrow!

cm021 V Marrow
Team: X-Men
Range: 6 :bolt::bolt:
Keywords: Gene Nation, S.H.I.E.L.D., Weapon X, X-Men
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst9101638915378142671425713146121KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

Those four characters together come out to 215 points. And now that we have our core group, we're going to pause a moment to throw some cardboard on this team before we go back to building. We're going to put Trick Shot on Storm, along with Warbound on both her and Marrow (using X-Men as their keyword). Then we put the Morlock ATA on Marrow and Dark Beast and Tactics on the Morlock Leader LE. This brings us up to 269 points.

You may be wondering "Why that Storm? Why not the Danger Room starter version or the Mutations & Monsters SR?" Good question. The reason why is the SR is a hundred points and thus won't be able to work with Warbound. And the Xplosion piece just has better range and one teensy click more than the Danger Room piece. All for only 12 points more. Also, the reason we're going with the LE Morlock Leader instead of Vet Callisto is because once we get back to including figures, we will desperately need that Leadership and those extra actions.

So with those out of the way, let's go back to adding more figures. Specifically, the Morlock generics!

ul001 R Morlock
Keywords: Morlocks, Warrior
m-dolphina-fistd-shieldg-starburst67131661215611145111KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

ul002 E Morlock
Keywords: Morlocks, Mutant
m-dolphina-fistd-shieldg-starburst77141671316612156111KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

ul003 V Morlock
Keywords: Morlocks, Monster
m-dolphina-fistd-shieldg-starburst78142771316712166121KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

ul201 LE Jonny Ell
Keywords: Morlocks, Mutant
m-dolphina-fistd-shieldg-starburst67121661215611145111KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

How many Morlocks do we add? As many as you like. The more Morlocks, the merrier. Just get a good variety and enough to get your build up to 500 points or more. And as far as I'm concerned, if you're lucky enough to have multiples of the Johnny Ell LE, I'd say throw those in as well.

The strategy for the team is pretty straightforward: Your generics will tie up your opponent while Storm fires each turn, passing tokens to Marrow; Dark Beast running support and Morlock Leader getting you some extra actions. Having seen the Morlocks in action at 400 points and 1000 points (with slight differences), you would be amazed with how well they performed. It's easy for opponents to underestimate this group, only to be incredibly frustrated when their tied-up pieces are only slowly chipping away at your cannon fodder while Storm is blasting people.

Plus, if you get the team house ruled as a theme team, you should have plenty of rerolls (and definitely map choice). And really now, what cruel sort of person would deny this team the theme bonuses that would give them a fighting chance?

Of course if you're up against a team that involves a high point HSS piece, a Cosmic Spidey, one of the chase Supermen from Crisis, a TK/Nova Blast combo or some other sort of tank; you're boned. But hey, worst case scenario? Your Morlock team gets massacred. In which case... Kind of accurate!

So that's it for Comic Accurate this time around. If you want to know what we'll focus on next time, I'll give you a big hint: It's something that Simon Cowell, Sean Waltman and Iron Maiden have all in common.

Deadpool2449
01/16/2011, 05:45
only problem is jonny ell is an L.E., i could be wrong, but doesn't that follow the same rule as unique, only one in a game? other wise good work

Quebbster
01/16/2011, 06:16
only problem is jonny ell is an L.E., i could be wrong, but doesn't that follow the same rule as unique, only one in a game? other wise good work
He is indeed Unique - not because he's a LE but because he has a bronze ring. There can be only one!

sae
01/16/2011, 06:45
I find the 2nd regen click on Sarah makes her way more useful than the Vet Marrow.

Boozehound
01/16/2011, 06:48
I find the 2nd regen click on Sarah makes her way more useful than the Vet Marrow.

Agreed. But I think he chose Vet Marrow because of the Gene Nation keyword.

mermaidmurder
01/16/2011, 06:54
is there a storm with more close combat bc i think she won leadship in a melee fight. bc no powers were to be use and winner got control. and if u want to have a fun game u could run morlocks vs xmen and use the x men from tv show. that show did not go along with the comic but as a kid i loved it.

Quebbster
01/16/2011, 08:23
is there a storm with more close combat bc i think she won leadship in a melee fight. bc no powers were to be use and winner got control. and if u want to have a fun game u could run morlocks vs xmen and use the x men from tv show. that show did not go along with the comic but as a kid i loved it.

Xplosion E Storm represents her powerless period.

Clixkilla
01/16/2011, 09:07
I will say the for you Arsenal, you can take a team I think "Who cares?" and make them into a team I want to run!

Pentarch
01/16/2011, 09:29
To be honest, I actually always wanted to run a Morlocks team, and I'm really hoping we get some stuff to run that ATA off of in GSXM. (I don't know, like a Morlock, Amazon-esque generic figure? Calisto with a leadership ability?)

Beyond that, I actually really like the build, and once I manage to pick up a Dark Beast, I might try and dig up the rest of them. :devious:

magicmarvel
01/16/2011, 09:55
Just make morlocks like the x-men.Shape change,mind control,super strength,range combat expert.You could even use some of the same x-men dials.Give Morlocks a new power.If your morlock is in hindering give this piece atomatic stealth and plus 1 to their attact.Come on it's not that hard

magicmarvel
01/16/2011, 09:58
make morlocks like the x-men.you can even use the same dials.Mind control,blades,super strength,shape change.Give them a new team ability.If your morlock is in hindering they get automatic stealth and plus 1 to their attack.Take that x-men

Feral2k
01/16/2011, 10:05
Wow. I can't believe you actually did this. Not bad, considering that there are almost no Morlocks in Clix. Incidentally, what exactly does the Morlock ATA do anyway?

Ultim8 Avenger
01/16/2011, 10:15
hopefully some morlocks will show up in GSX. i've been wondering what the TA was used for other than taking up space in the power/abilities reference guides.

btw, i remember that morlock episode (when storm took over) in the 90s x-men cartoon. man, those days were boss...

saturnflight
01/16/2011, 10:45
It's going to be hard for me to hold off on reading this until tomorrow (I like to save my reading material for the weekdays), because I'm so excited to see a Morlock feature!

irishflogger
01/16/2011, 10:47
It would be hard to allow a storm without the morlock keyword to be ruled as a theme team since we do actually have a storm with that keyword.

Dmc82581
01/16/2011, 11:27
I'd use Storm outta Muatations & Monsters it'd be more accurate you room for the points.

Blue_Shield
01/16/2011, 12:15
hopefully some morlocks will show up in GSX. i've been wondering what the TA was used for other than taking up space in the power/abilities reference guides.

btw, i remember that morlock episode (when storm took over) in the 90s x-men cartoon. man, those days were boss...

I remember when this happened in the comic book...man do I feel old
]http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/4/20819-3092-23219-1-uncanny-x-men-the_super.jpg

Great article.

sae
01/16/2011, 13:35
Wow. I can't believe you actually did this. Not bad, considering that there are almost no Morlocks in Clix. Incidentally, what exactly does the Morlock ATA do anyway?
If you have the old power card, the Morlock ATA is the Morlock team ability. They didn't get a new one. The ATA simply allowed them to take the Morlock TA off the power card.

Keyword(s): Gene Nation or Morlocks
Whenever a character using this team ability makes a close combat attack, modify its attack value by +1 for each other character using this team ability
adjacent to both this character and the target.
Cost 2*(0 if the character possesses the Morlocks team symbol)

Hesster56
01/16/2011, 15:24
I've had very good success in the past Thunderbolting Avengers to Morlocks. You can't do it anymore, but every Avenger with Charge gradually gave my teams staggering attack values.

Dark_Knight
01/16/2011, 18:25
[QUOTE=btw, i remember that morlock episode (when storm took over) in the 90s x-men cartoon. man, those days were boss...[/QUOTE]

Yup, some rep for you mon frere as I can hear that sweet guitar riff from the opening credits right now ... devastating ;) Thank you for the nostalgia, I still have the first VHS tape of the series in which Morph gets pwnd by a Sentinel (only to be later revealed he was "saved" by Sinister) and I agree, those were the days ... :grin:

IceHot
01/16/2011, 20:24
Jonny Ell isnt that reference to the Cloberin Tme Game Designer Jon L (Jon Leitheusser)?

funny as I just looked him up and found an interview with him in 2003....

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75273

4. Was there a game mechanic or special ability that did not make the cut into the new game? Why didn’t it make the cut?
Yes, definitely. I think almost every set has had some new team ability or power that was proposed but was thrown out or revised. Sometimes these abilities are revisited or go into another game, but often they just go away. One that I can recall was an ability that allowed a character to move action tokens off one character and onto himself, but it was far too powerful to actually see play. There have been others, but they were all lame or completely broken. I like to avoid both of those.

You just litterally used JonLs name in vane suggesting he be played with Warbound.

tyroclix
01/16/2011, 21:33
I was SO bummed when they reworded the Morlocks Team Ability. It went from a nasty TA to quite mediocre and hard to pull off.

Not sure why they thought it necessary given the pieces that carry the keyword.

It was a favorite Team Ability to Thunderbolts to because I would slaughter with that thing. Now, meh...

Arsenalroy2k
01/16/2011, 21:34
He is indeed Unique - not because he's a LE but because he has a bronze ring. There can be only one!

Bah. There's an exception to every rule. The LE Morlock should be the one.

Agreed. But I think he chose Vet Marrow because of the Gene Nation keyword.

As it says in the article, Marrow and Storm are Warbounded via the X-Men keyword.

Both are fine. Marrow or Sarah's only purpose would be to get the tokens from Storm and in a pinch, and use the X-Men TA to heal Storm back up if she takes a little damage. The vet just has the benefit of being one click longer. Though the two clicks of Regen aren't anything to scoff at.

I'd use Storm outta Muatations & Monsters it'd be more accurate you room for the points.

Back when a player ran the Morlocks at 1000 points, that was the Storm that got used. But pretty much because she filled out more points. But at lower point values, shaving 48 points off and using the Vet isn't too bad either.

It would be hard to allow a storm without the morlock keyword to be ruled as a theme team since we do actually have a storm with that keyword.

It wouldn't be that hard, actually. All that's being done is going from the rookie to the veteran. A single keyword/17 point/one click difference is really the big game-breaking factor that's stopping you from getting map, a BFC cancel and some rerolls? Come on.

saturnflight
01/17/2011, 10:12
I prefer Vet Callisto over LE Morlock Leader because I think the Running Shot really helps the team. Also, I like to sneak Desaad in as Healer. For Morlocks, I run a LOT of the Exp. and none of the Rookie. And I agree that Sarah is better than any Marrow (and since your Storm doesn't have the Morlocks keyword, I see no reason to seek out a specific keyword on Marrow).

Love the focus on this team! Perhaps Shadowcat might be another option? For a 'What If' with Caliban? Who should definitely be in GSX.

DrugSex
01/17/2011, 12:38
I always like the V Marrow, i doesn't know she was a morlock.

Carbon Rod
01/17/2011, 22:39
So that's it for Comic Accurate this time around. If you want to know what we'll focus on next time, I'll give you a big hint: It's something that Simon Cowell, Sean Waltman and Iron Maiden have all in common.

Oh yeah, I am looking forward to the X-Factor article next week!

The Cyclops team or government one? Probably both.

I want to say that Waltman give it away, but it was actually Simon Cowell. On a side note, WWE's X-Factor was one of my favorite stables of all time. Why? I have no idea. Probably due to the theme music.

Beastlordleo
01/17/2011, 23:35

The Cyclops team or government one? Probably both.

I want to say that Waltman give it away, but it was actually Simon Cowell. On a side note, WWE's X-Factor was one of my favorite stables of all time. Why? I have no idea. Probably due to the theme music.

it's not X-Factor, it's DeGeneration-X (or DX for short)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snW-5AHxYTA

"Are you ready?"

Alpha-Omega
01/18/2011, 00:08
What ATA for Morlocks? Never heard of it.

By the way, I am still major cheesed over the fact that a team was created for essentially less then 10 figures but we did not get a separate one for Alpha Flight, to say nothing of all the other outfits that have been dogged on that point too.

Arsenalroy2k
01/18/2011, 00:54

It's the same as the TA, just opened up to include characters without the team symbol that have either the Morlocks or Gene Nation keywords.

Kite-Man
01/18/2011, 03:35

By the way, I am still major cheesed over the fact that a team was created for essentially less then 10 figures but we did not get a separate one for Alpha Flight, to say nothing of all the other outfits that have been dogged on that point too.
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1875/coachwhip.jpg (http://img200.imageshack.us/i/coachwhip.jpg/)

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2295/cottonmouthmciver.jpg (http://img151.imageshack.us/i/cottonmouthmciver.jpg/)
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9219/puffadder.jpg (http://img3.imageshack.us/i/puffadder.jpg/)

I'm even more cheesed that they made a (great) TA for one of my all-time favourite comic book teams– The Serpent Society– and then never made any more Serpent Society (http://www.spiderfan.org/comics/images/spiderman_amazing/231.jpg)...
:tired:

UniqueLoginNamor
01/18/2011, 12:59
I remember when this happened in the comic book...man do I feel old
]http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/4/20819-3092-23219-1-uncanny-x-men-the_super.jpg

Great article.

Hot. It looks like their gonna make out

Carbon Rod
01/18/2011, 13:23
it's not X-Factor, it's DeGeneration-X (or DX for short)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snW-5AHxYTA

"Are you ready?"

Oh I know all about DX my friend. There was another stable that Waltman was a part of (He's been in a lot of groups) called "X-Factor" with Albert (aka A-Train, now Giant Benard over in New Japan Pro Wrestling) and Justin Credible (aka Aldo Montoya, now a waiter ar your local Olive Garden).

Their theme was some song by Uncle Cracker (who is now probably a line cook at that same Olive Garden)

CBOWEN333
01/18/2011, 20:13
[I'm even more cheesed that they made a (great) TA for one of my all-time favourite comic book teams– The Serpent Society– and then never made any more Serpent Society (http://www.spiderfan.org/comics/images/spiderman_amazing/231.jpg)...

You forget about Thunderball. He totally got Serpent Society TA.
(Yes I know he was eratta'ed. He's just way fun to play with Phasing and Charge)

And for those of you feeling the X-men cartoon nostalgia- Any body remember when that illusion making Morlock lady told Wolverine he was covered in scorpions? Talk about stopping power. Anybody know her name?

CBOWEN333
01/18/2011, 20:17

You mean it's not gonna be a team of people who spent a night or more in China?
Man I was way off

Alpha-Omega
01/18/2011, 20:38
It's the same as the TA, just opened up to include characters without the team symbol that have either the Morlocks or Gene Nation keywords.

Which unfortunately does not tell me anymore then I knew before as I never heard of that stuff either.

Alpha-Omega
01/18/2011, 20:38
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1875/coachwhip.jpg (http://img200.imageshack.us/i/coachwhip.jpg/)

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2295/cottonmouthmciver.jpg (http://img151.imageshack.us/i/cottonmouthmciver.jpg/)
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9219/puffadder.jpg (http://img3.imageshack.us/i/puffadder.jpg/)

I'm even more cheesed that they made a (great) TA for one of my all-time favourite comic book teams– The Serpent Society– and then never made any more Serpent Society (http://www.spiderfan.org/comics/images/spiderman_amazing/231.jpg)...

Yeah I am still waiting for the rest of the squad myself.

SentryWill
01/19/2011, 06:29

One ring to rule them all?

Feral2k
01/22/2011, 12:44
Their theme was some song by Uncle Cracker (who is now probably a line cook at that same Olive Garden)

No, I think he's a country singer now, or something stupid like that. They play his new-ish song on the country station, at any rate.

Odinson13
01/30/2011, 11:27
Morlocks = yuck! Once GSX comes out I'm putting a marauders team together to kill the morlocks.

Odinson13
01/30/2011, 11:37
Serpent Society Rules!!! Shouldn't Seth from HoT have been a SS member? I thought i remember being on the team from MUhbook '89. I'll have to dig it out and check. Also King Cobra should've been made in HoT. 1st appearance was in Journey Into Mystery and he was aconstant thorn in Thor's side.