PDA

View Full Version : Comic Accurate COMIC ACCURATE: X-Factor

Arsenalroy2k
01/29/2011, 16:40
http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1014&pictureid=12944
featuring...
X-Factor

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1014&pictureid=14468

Welcome back to another edition of Comic Accurate! I'm Arsenalroy2k and on our road to Giant Size X-Men, we're revisiting X-Factor. Just not the lineup that gets the most recognition.

Arsenalroy2k
01/30/2011, 11:48
***INSERT POST BREAK HERE***

So what did Iron Maiden, Simon Cowell and Sean Waltman have in common? Like you guys rightly guessed: It's the X-Factor. Congratulations to the folks who guessed correctly.

Now X-Factor are a team that's been through its share of roster changes over the years. My esteemed predecessor, Dr. Morbius, covered the lineups featuring the original X-Men and the one from Peter David's run. With hopes and rumors that Giant Size X-Men will feature characters from the current X-Factor series, we're going to spotlight a run that... didn't get the kind of respect all those other runs did. Specifically, the Howard Mackie one.

In 1995, after the Age of Apocalypse had finished, writer Howard Mackie and artist Jeff Matsuda took the reins of X-Factor and after some set-up of the new status quo by previous writer John Francis Moore, shook things up by including a couple of notable X-Villains. The roster of the team now included Forge, Val Cooper, Polaris, Wild Child and the newly drafted Sabretooth and Mystique. This lasted from about issue 112 right up to the end of the series in 149.

It should also be said that Bishop's holographic sister Shard also joined, but since they haven't made her yet (though hopefully they will someday), just... I don't know, say her holographic matrix is on the fritz or something.

sn085 U Forge
Team: X-Men
Range: 8 :bolt:
Keywords: Mutant, X-Factor, X-Men
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst89163781627715278152691426915258162KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

mm033 V Polaris
Range: 8 :bolt::bolt:
Keywords: Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Starjammers, X-Men
m-winga-fistd-shieldg-starburst1091649815488153871437713266132KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

mm021 V Wild Child
Range: 0 :bolt:
Keywords: Brute, X-Factor, Weapon X
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst8817389162810152710152791426814267132KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

aw094 U Mystique
Team: S.H.I.E.L.D.
Range: 6 :bolt:
Keywords: Mutant, S.H.I.E.L.D., Spy
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst99162891628915288152781527715277142KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

ui081 V Sabretooth
Team: The Brotherhood
Range: 0 :bolt:
Archenemy: Wolverine (Blue)
Keywords: Brotherhood of Mutants, Martial Artist, Weapon X
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst810163610152691425913258122481114711147111KOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKO

muB001 Val Cooper
Team: No Affiliation
Range: 6 :bolt:
m-boota-fistd-shieldg-starburst79161KOKOKOKO

This group comes out to a total of 354 points. But before we get into filling out the remainder of the points, we should add that this run of X-Factor was so shaky in terms of quality and sales that half the old cast kept turning up in guest appearances! So if you want to throw in a Havok, Strong Guy or some Madrox figures, feel free.

For the feats, I've put Auto Regen on Sabretooth and Wild Child, Camouflage on Mystique and a Protected on Forge. That will bring you up to 394 points. Still six points shy of 400, so if you want to say include a Red Lantern 3d Object to help Sabretooth and Wild Child a bit (in case you're not feeling so confident about your B/C/F rolls), I wouldn't blame you.

And it is worth mentioning that as Sabretooth and Mystique are both getting remade in GSX, you could very likely have them as an option.

Next time, we focus on something older in the X-Universe. Maybe something a little animated.

saturnflight
01/30/2011, 12:16
That roster is actually a fairly decent fit for the awesome House of M Mystique, as far as accuracy goes. SHIELD TA isn't far off X-Factor, and her outfit in that team was about as close as she ever got to the royal uniform.

Odinson13
01/30/2011, 12:21
Never got in to this run, stopped buying comics for a short while at this point. But I love almost all the characters listed. Forge, Sabretooth and especially Mystique (arguablly top X-Villian next to Mags). Is this run in trade at all? I fielded a Peter David X-factor using snMultipleMan(exp), awQuicksilver(vet), icWolfsbane(exp), mmHavok(vet), & mmPolaris(exp). I also used Strong Guy when he came out and desperatley want to use new Wolfsbane. Can't wait to use an original X-factor Team(new beast looks AWESOME!!!) You got love & rep for starting an x-factor thread.

cattmoe
01/30/2011, 13:24
Add me to the list of people who want Shard.

I really loved this run. It was different, and for a while it was the book I looked forward to every month.

Never did understand why it was so unpopular.... :ermm:

Carbon Rod
01/30/2011, 13:39
I will run this team at a golden age event after GSX comes out because that run of X-Factor was suprisingly good (just like Joe Casey's underrated run on Uncanny X-Men) and it's a good excuse to use the GSX Mystique and Sabretooth (who both will probably have the X-Factor keywords. One can only hope).

And speaking of Howard Mackie, as much as people want AoA clix, I want "Mutant X" clix. Or maybe a Mutant X action pack featuring "The Six" (The Fallen, Bloodstorm, Ice-Man, The Brute, Goblyn Queen and Havok) and a Shadow King possessed Xavier (Or possibly the Beyonder!). I'd be all over that in a heart beat!

Blue_Shield
01/30/2011, 14:26
And speaking of Howard Mackie, as much as people want AoA clix, I want "Mutant X" clix. Or maybe a Mutant X action pack featuring "The Six" (The Fallen, Bloodstorm, Ice-Man, The Brute, Goblyn Queen and Havok) and a Shadow King possessed Xavier (Or possibly the Beyonder!). I'd be all over that in a heart beat!

I loved th Mutant X series, "The Six" even as a sub-theme would be great.

fastcat99
01/30/2011, 15:25
ooh.....A vet Havok would go so nicely! Maybe sometime you can cover the X-factor with Mohawk Storm? I never read it, but the cover looked neat.

W10002
01/30/2011, 19:39
Personally, I prefer playing the 1990s Government X-factor team. I've usually played the following 500 pts. team with varying success:

Build
124 MU005 Strong Guy
65 WS029 Wolfsbane
32 SN050 Multiple Man
32 SN050 Multiple Man
32 SN050 Multiple Man
105 AW054 Quicksilver
50 MM031 Polaris
44 MM039 Havok
7 MUB001 Val Cooper

Total: 491

If feats are allowed, I swap out Val and add Armor Piercing on Quicksilver

Clclix
01/30/2011, 20:00
Would have preferred to see what this team looked like after GSX being that both Mystique and Sabertooth are both in the set....

Arsenalroy2k
01/31/2011, 03:07

This. We need this. That series was surprisingly chock full of awesome. Havok blowing up part of the moon in a fight against, what was it; Cap, Dracula or The Beyonder? Maybe all of the above. It's been a while and that book was so insane it's tough to remember clearly.

UncannyAvenger
01/31/2011, 09:45
ooh.....A vet Havok would go so nicely! Maybe sometime you can cover the X-factor with Mohawk Storm? I never read it, but the cover looked neat.

Definitely with you on the Vet Havok addition, but if you're looking for an X-Factor affiliated Storm, not even the mohawk will do...

sstralkowski
01/31/2011, 11:27
This was my Favorite Team of X-Factor. I really have no idea why. It just worked well for me until close to the end when Havok took over the book again.

Miraclo
01/31/2011, 12:02
This was well after the point when I stopped looking, so I only know what's being told and shown here.

The team (character) mix is an interesting one.

I'm presuming that's Mystique front and center, and I know she's a shapeshifter, but was she supposed to be trying to look like a cyanotic Katie Segal? (Given the art styles that wre taking over in the '90s I shouldn't criticize this one, though, as it's one of the better ones I've seen from that era.)

konasavage
01/31/2011, 17:07
I am so use to the modern X-Factor Investigations version, I will have to look into the older stuff.

Pepsirox08
01/31/2011, 20:18
wow... definitely use LE Polaris on this team...

cattmoe
02/01/2011, 20:07
This was my Favorite Team of X-Factor. I really have no idea why. It just worked well for me until close to the end when Havok took over the book again.

Exactly how I felt. I can't really put my finger on it, but i remember being really into this book. I think it just felt really different from the other X-titles at the time...

Carbon Rod
02/01/2011, 20:18
I am so use to the modern X-Factor Investigations version, I will have to look into the older stuff.

Peter David has an excellent run on the government team too (The Havok, Wolfsbane, Polaris, Strong Guy, Madrox and Quicksilver line-up). Worth reading in general, but a must read is the team psych evaluation with Doc Sampson. I forget the issue number off the top of my head, but it's great insight into the characters that is still relevant now.

Dane77
02/02/2011, 18:58
Havok, Wolfsbane WOS, Polaris, mystique(shield) multiple man X2 exp 292