HeroClix Map Review Heroclix Map Review: The Prison [Archive] - HeroClix Realms

PDA

View Full Version : HeroClix Map Review Heroclix Map Review: The Prison

saturnflight
02/16/2011, 20:27
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21836293/Review-%20Prison.jpgThe impact a map can have on a game is often overlooked. A good strategy incorporates a tactically-sound map choice. But when it comes to locale, sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees. We're here to help you make smart decisions when it comes to Heroclix real estate.

Official Title: The Prison
Dimensions: 24" x 36" (16x24 squares)
Set: Sinister
Availability:
Was widely distributed in prize support kits for Marvel: Sinister.

saturnflight
02/16/2011, 20:32
http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1412&pictureid=14652
Image link provided to me by DarkLordVergal; thank him here (http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5308895&postcount=2)!

Official Title: The Prison
Commonly Known As: n/a
Map on Reverse: n/a
Dimensions: 24" x 36" (16x24 squares)
Set: Sinister
Availability: Was widely distributed in prize support kits for Marvel: Sinister. No longer available at retail; commonly available on the secondary market or via trading.

saturnflight
02/16/2011, 20:33
Sinister was advertised as a Heroclix set dedicated to the villains of the Marvel Universe, and so the map for the set was appropriately a prison. There has perhaps never been a sealed environment so affected by the map as this one was, which should give you an idea of just how much this map will affect your game when dropped on you by an opponent. Prison time can seriously cramp your style.

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1412&pictureid=14653
The thematic feel of this map goes so far as to have your starting area spread across several small cells. The Clown Prince of Crime can overcome Arkham's walls, but a cell will take more work to escape from.

The clear area of the map is shaped like an 'E'; you'll make your way out of your own hallway, likely meeting resistance in the long trunk on one side. Occasionally someone will end up in the central branch, but usually setting up in the far hallway will put you right in the middle of everything.

This map not only dictates your actions, it precisely determines how combatting the enemy will occur. There is little you can do to assert your own terms of engagement. Allow me to present you with a visual example as we follow the Green Goblin through this map.

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1412&pictureid=14654
High speed,long range, a lot of mobility... on most maps, the Goblin's options are many and predicting his movement is difficult. Let's see how he fares in prison.

1. On your opening turn, Green Goblin moves out of his starting area, setting up outside of the hallway to avoid leaving himself open while preparing for a Running Shot. In an ordinary game, Green Goblin will have some friends, and he may carry one of them up with him as he'll have speed left over.

2. Turn three. An opponent has moved into the hallway in the last two turns. Green Goblin has a target. He runs into the hallway, and because he's a flier, he hits up the hindering terrain for a +1 defense. In a game with other friendly characters, he may be working hard to find a precise line of fire that clears all his allies. An ally may even follow up by moving in front of Gobby to cover him.

Subsequent turns: Green Goblin will likely continue the fight in the hallway; there's little room for anyone to move around, and few other places on the map to mount an attack from. The battle might get as large as two on two, but beyond that there's no room for extra combatants. Close combat figures may be fighting in the rooms next door. Norman may eventually lose his targets; he'll circle the room and try to throw a few pumpkins in at the melee inside. Drawing line of fire without engaging in close combat will be tough. At some point, someone (maybe a hypersonic character) may think they're smart to make a run down the central hallway toward the elevator; Norman will easily run them down and return to the natural combat zone.

Think you have a different way to engage an opponent here? Then you are using one of the following:
-A high-speed Hypersonic Speed figure
-A long-range, Phasing centerpiece
And you'll go into the game setting up in some unique fashion and inevitably moving toward the natural point of combat when opponents don't bring the fight to you.

Or perhaps you're thinking of one of the elite attack-through-walls figures now available in this game. Nightcrawler, Susan Richards, Malekith, Cosmic Spider-Man. You'll likely be able to go into the game from a unique angle, which is very cool; attacking from a jail cell is a novel approach to the map, and you'll definitely pull some variety from the predictable order of events on this map. But unless everyone on your team is doing this, every one of your targets will be in the natural combat zone, until they find their way to you.

If there's one really cool thing this map does, it's forcing you to build diversely. A Stealth figure can find a good spot to hide on this map while still contributing, but an entire team of Stealth will have to compromise. A long range figure can own the combat zone, but multiple long-range figures will get in each other's way. Keep that in mind as you read over the recommendations below; if this map is good for Hypersonic Speed, you probably still want to hold yourself to just one such character, and your best bet may be to build a team containing representation from each of the recommendations.

-Stealth can really congest the natural combat zone, and an irritating Stealth figure will be even harder to deal with than usual. But a Stealth figure won't have a lot of options for moving around; there are limited squares to hide in.

-Hypersonic Speed can at least leave the battle after hitting someone, but the halls are so far spaced apart that you may find it hard to retreat effectively. Still, a figure with high speed can be tough to follow when teamed with

-Tie-ups. Narrow halls mean that it'll already be hard to move past someone; if you want to completely control that movement, set a Plasticity figure right between the two central offices.

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1412&pictureid=14655
Sandman blocks off the main combat area.

-Quake and Force Blast may free up a hallway full of the afore-mentioned tie-ups, but more often you'll find walls stopping knockback. Which isn't really something to complain about. Whether you're using it to break up positioning or to deal extra damage, the Prison map will support your efforts.

-Phasing can ignore the claustrophobic attributes of the map, but keep in mind that, while you can move anywhere, you still need to give an opponent a reason to come to you.

-Secret Invasion's Nick Fury. I can't think of anyone else who acts quite like Nick, so I'll just recommend him by himself. The LMD ability will allow Nick the chance to sneak up behind an opponent after using Invulnerability. It's nearly impossible to get to an opponent's starting area on this map, making Nick your best bet for medic-killing and Mastermind fodder elimination.

-Figures who can use the walls effectively include Cosmic Spider-Man, Susan Richards, and Web of Spider-Man's Nightcrawler. I feel dirty for even recommending this, but if you were to set up Susan Richards and a cheap Barrier figure in a prison cell, you could do a lot of damage without fear of retaliation, leaving plenty of points for additional attackers. You could do the same with Spidey, but then you're sinking all your points into the tactic. Nightcrawler, on the other hand, can simply change cells as opponents approach. Use these tactics with caution; they may cost you friends.

saturnflight
02/16/2011, 20:33
So what are my thoughts after doing my time in Prison?

Theme: 5/5
Prison should feel confined, and it does. This map controls violence just like a Supermax should, and all the cells, control rooms, and even floor markings make this a perfectly-executed theme.
Clarity: 3/5
There's something odd about the blocking terrain and the walls in the way of them, causing wall-busting to be a big waste of time. You apparently need to break a wall, then break the blocking terrain, then break the wall on the other side, and all that will get you through a wall only 1 square thick. That's just poor markings creating a bad situation, as this map should be designed for tunneling. Aside from that, there's so little going on that it can't really be unclear.
Tactical Impact: 5/5
If you didn't read the article, the map is all about forcing you to call an audible.
Balance: 5/5
Even if you build a map for this map, you'll simply be less inconvenienced that your opponent. This map is equally mean to everyone. There are a few figures who can really feel broken on this map, but that's the fault of the figures, not the map.
Terrain Diversity: 2/5
Using so much blocking is certainly different, but the spartan decorating of the prison can't be called diverse by any stretch.

Overall: 4/5
The Prison is devastating if dropped on the wrong team, making it strategic for you to carry a copy to every tournament. It set out to capture a very specific and unique comic environment, and it completely nailed it. I'll quickly point out that this map can also be doubled up, making a wide central hall or a huge central area that's difficult to reach. Either configuration will make for a new, fun layout to play in when your game calls for a larger field of play.

Thanks for reading, and come back next week for another map from a Spider-Man set! Until next time, enjoy the scenery!

Pepsirox08
02/17/2011, 00:08
Please mention somewhere how DANGEROUS Nightcrawler is on this map! its so fun going through EVERYTHING!!

Edit - you did... its late and i missed some...

Rahe Stone
02/17/2011, 01:43
I need this map locally, anyone want a graveyard or wos bridge for one X)

Battrocious
02/17/2011, 01:49
don't forget cosmic spiderman. why even move him?

dantheman5999
02/17/2011, 03:05
This map is fun to play at!!! By the way do maps get retired?

vlad3theimpaler
02/17/2011, 03:12
This map is fun to play at!!! By the way do maps get retired?

All 2x3 or 3x3 WizKids maps that have the color coded terrain are legal. Any maps from the early days without the colors for terrain are retired.

FrankCastle80
02/17/2011, 03:15
This stage is perfect for JL Flash with the "Vibration" special power

Quebbster
02/17/2011, 04:46
This stage is perfect for JL Flash with the "Vibration" special power

Keep in mind that unlinke Nightcrawler, JL Flash cannot ignore terrain when using Hypersonic Speed.

UltraDRGN
02/17/2011, 05:14
First you rate the Lab high and now the prison?

We're just never going to agree on map choice.

Why have an entire map when you can play your next heroclix game on a 24X5 strip!?

"This map is equally mean to everyone. "

THAT MEANS THE MAP SUCKS! (in my opinion anyway).

"There are a few figures who can really feel broken on this map, but that's the fault of the figures, not the map."

Or maybe it IS the map!

Hesster56
02/17/2011, 06:25
During the Sinister pre-release, we had to sub in boosters of Collateral Damage to make up for the amount of people. My opponent set up shop in the "Kitchen" area. I phased my Kalibak to square D-10. Kalibak was promptly smacked by his entire team, who pushed to do so, and landed Kali on his 10 attack Quake click. On my next turn, I rolled boxcars and crippled an army.

Always have a soft spot for this map because of that.

kfrog71
02/17/2011, 07:07
I truly enjoyed this article; it was a great read- Thanks!

I have the prison map but have always thought meh. I am actually excited about giving this one a try now.

JRS4
02/17/2011, 07:22
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to saturnflight again.

I really enjoy this map. I have been on both the giving and receiving end of this map. It really can devastate certain team builds.

With that said, some of the most fun and hardest fought games were played on this map. When playing against good players this map will punish you for bad placement and movement choices.

Positioning is so crucial on this map I can even begin to describe it.

JRS4
02/17/2011, 07:25

Why have an entire map when you can play your next heroclix game on a 24X5 strip!?

"There are a few figures who can really feel broken on this map, but that's the fault of the figures, not the map."

Or maybe it IS the map!

I know a lot of people feel the same way you do about this map, but I really think people are missing the tactical prowess this map can take to play. Yes this map dictates were the action takes place more so than other maps.

Because of that every action that you take, every little decision becomes that much more important than it would on maps that the battle zone is not so clearly forced.

Darkjawa103
02/17/2011, 07:31
Thanks for another great review. I haven't seen this map since my return to the game, but now I think I'm going to try and track one down.

P1nkFr3ud
02/17/2011, 08:12
Are you going to maybe do quick-shot ratings on older, retired maps? Or are we only going to see ratings of tourney-legal maps? (well, and the insanely awesome ones put out by Mighty Maps and Grid Reality)

saturnflight
02/17/2011, 08:18

A difficult map does not mean a bad map, and considering how tactically effective the map is, I can't give it bad marks. I don't rate the maps on fun, and being constrictive plays equally to both players, making it balanced.

Or maybe it IS the map!

Except that on 50% of maps out there, Nightcrawler and Cosmic Spider-Man feel broken. Should we call all those maps poorly designed, or just fault figures?

saturnflight
02/17/2011, 08:21
Are you going to maybe do quick-shot ratings on older, retired maps? Or are we only going to see ratings of tourney-legal maps? (well, and the insanely awesome ones put out by Mighty Maps and Grid Reality)

Actually, while I have no plans to review retired maps (as I have to cull the field somewhere, this will already run for over a year), I do plan to use the quick-shot review method in the near future for unofficial maps (which, if you have a printed map out there available for purchase, let me know so I can cover as wide a variety as is available!)

Deadpool55
02/17/2011, 08:32
The amount of impact this map can have on a game is more than any other map I can think of.

Wombatboy
02/17/2011, 08:37
Great review! The prison map has always been a double edged sword for me. While it's hard to design a team that functions well on it sometimes it's just worth it to see the look of consternation in my opponent's eyes when I plop that sucker down.

red king
02/17/2011, 09:00
Susan Richards, Kid Flash, Cosmis Spiderman, Nightcrawler, Afew Lockjaws for tie up and Hss fun. This could be the team that causes fights, but on this map.....

dairoka
02/17/2011, 09:32
I think the League of Assassins with their ATA would really benefit on this map, too. Stick close to the walls, close the distance and stab away.

mangi1000
02/17/2011, 10:06
Anyone have an extra copy of this map for sale or trade if so pm me or email me at [email protected] I'd love to get one

Mr. Cranberry
02/17/2011, 10:06
Or perhaps you're thinking of one of the elite attack-through-walls figures now available in this game. Nightcrawler, Susan Richards, Malekith, Cosmic Spider-Man.

Quick note, Malekith can't attack through walls. He only ignores Elevated & Hindering Terrain, and only if he's using Mind Control.

saturnflight
02/17/2011, 10:15
Busted!

I think I've attacked through walls with him before... but only in casual games!

DaeRave
02/17/2011, 10:16
I know a lot of people feel the same way you do about this map, but I really think people are missing the tactical prowess this map can take to play. Yes this map dictates were the action takes place more so than other maps.

Because of that every action that you take, every little decision becomes that much more important than it would on maps that the battle zone is not so clearly forced.

My issue with this map, and as a result Saturnflights ratings, is the incredible amount of space is wasted on the map. A massive portion of this map will completely go unused.
To say that it makes your decisions that much more important is beyond an understatement, and doesnt make it ok.
If that was the case, Wizkids might as well continued the trend and started printing maps on 8 1/2 x 11 printer paper.
Decisions sure would be important then wouldnt they?! ;)

I've had some great games on this map, but I'm also bizarre and twisted and have a fetish for knocking down walls in Heroclix.
No one I know wants to use this map because its always the same old battle.
Advance to the middle, fight. Yawn. :tired:

Thrumble Funk
02/17/2011, 10:20
Favorite map when I'm playing Amazon teams. The natural choke point really helps to pull off the phalanx-style tactics of the team.

vlad3theimpaler
02/17/2011, 10:21

That's interesting, because we see a lot of use of that map at our venue. Some teams play better on it than others, and if I have one of those teams and my opponent doesn't, you're darn right that's the map I'll go for.

Thrumble Funk
02/17/2011, 10:24

Definitely helps if you like to play CC bricks.

Rurouni KJS
02/17/2011, 10:41
I love this map because it's actually quite balanced. Shooters can use the long hallway effectively. Punchers like the extra cover. Phasers get a tactical advantage, but not an overwhelming one. Stealthers have spots to hide.

Only HSS fliers have a decided edge. But that's the case on any indoor map, pretty much.

NeoShazam
02/17/2011, 11:01
No one I know wants to use this map because its always the same old battle. Advance to the middle, fight. Yawn. :tired:

I like the idea of the map but it does come down to the same spot(s) everytime. Lots of dead space and if you play against Lunge, Maneuver , Camouflage, LoA , and the normal close combat beaters it can be a chore to play.

jackstar7
02/17/2011, 11:08
As long as no one brings out the SIF, this is a cool map to highlight the utility of Barrier.

Another great article.

Carbon Rod
02/17/2011, 11:19
I love this map. As others have said before, I have been on the receiving and giving end of this map. It's tactical impact is ludicrious. I most recently played a 700 point modern age game on it pitting my Justice League International team vs. the Sinestro Corp. I won map choice and brought out the prison. My opponent was flustered as he had a hard time drawing LOF with the Sinestro Corp, giving the JLA quite the edge on getting in close and cleaning up. Animal Man took out Sinestro Corp Batman one on one for crying out loud! (And it didn't help that Guy Gardner picked up Thor's hammer :devious: )

All in all, a great map that stands out from a lot of other maps in the game for a variety of reasons. Whenever I play an all villian team it is very hard to not use this map, regardless of my build and figures. "It's time for PRISON RULES! Welcome to Supermax ... "Shanks" to meet you!"

CapnMorgan
02/17/2011, 11:41
When I first saw this map I was exited because it was so different from all of the other maps I've played on before ala 4 corners and the baseball field. The thing I've noticed over time is that this map is a turtler's paradise. I've lost count of how many times I've seen players simply block off their end of the map and refuse to leave. They will sit there at their end with stealthed shooters or someone to keep you from getting near them while their shooters simply keep back where its safe. Now bear in mind this was before theme teams were created so you would either need thanos and a friend or a whole lotta speedsters with armor piercing and swingline. After a while I simply would just leave my figs in their starting zones and just keep passing on my turn untill they got either mad enough or the judge yelled at the other player to get his butt in the fight before he disqualified us both.

Mr. Cranberry
02/17/2011, 11:43
As long as no one brings out the SIF, this is a cool map to highlight the utility of Barrier.

Another great article.

SiF doesn't help Barrier anymore, only the blocking terrain already a part of the map.

gatharion
02/17/2011, 12:03
There's some fun scenario potential with this map, but over all I'm not a fan. Because there is this one narrow hall where all of the figures get funneled, many of the games start to feel very similar. I'm also not a fan of how abusable it is. Even before the likes of Sue Richards, Cosmic Spidey, or WoS Nightcrawler, a team built to take advantage of that map (mostly lots of Phasing and Barrier) could devastate a more well rounded team. I recall a few tournaments right after Sinister where getting that map choice was really crucial.

Crisis Kid Flash is also a huge pain to deal with on this map, I once played a game where I had to deal with three of them on that map.

dwidabill
02/17/2011, 12:44
I HATE this effing map!! I lose every time I play on it.

ibeatdrew
02/17/2011, 13:09
I have always felt this was a well designed map, that utilized space well and did something never really done much..make a bunch of "Dead" space. The "dead space" doesn't bother me because it serves its purpose in my book.

The artist in me wants to utilize dead space, but it works on this map. It's slows down people just slammin' through the walls on this map....it really gives you the feel of a "super prison" whether that is what it is or not.

jackstar7
02/17/2011, 13:59
SiF doesn't help Barrier anymore, only the blocking terrain already a part of the map.

Man, I knew that and never using SIF apparently hindered my retention of that info.

So yeah, Prison map highlights Barrier! :)

saturnflight
02/17/2011, 14:26
I thought about Barrier (and Smoke Cloud), and it comes up in almost every map review I do. But here I felt the line of fire issues made you sacrifice a ranged attacker's position for the barrier fig. Also, with so much pre-existing blocking, it's not as important to create your own cover. Yes, you can entirely block off the hallway. But if your opponent slips past it once, they'll make LOF really hard for you to put it back up. Not to mention that if your opponent doesn't have Phasing, they're already dead in the water. Here, I feel a Plasticity figure actually has more impact than a Barrier figure.

jackstar7
02/17/2011, 14:28
Oh, good point.

Dang, this is a good map!

Repulsor rage
02/17/2011, 15:08
I really like putting two of these maps together nice write up

lancelot
02/17/2011, 15:12
Easily the #1 map around my parts, as well.

See a slow team, short on move and attack? Go Prison.

See a range heavy team? Go Prison.

Bringing a stealth + low range (read: Batman Ally) team? Go Prison.

It's simply GO PRISON as your #1 choice unless another map helps better.

lancelot
02/17/2011, 15:12
I really like putting two of these maps together nice write up

I think I've pieced two together and laminated them...or was it 3?

I'd have to check and take a picture.

Mr. Cranberry
02/17/2011, 15:16
The LOF issues are a little more difficult on this map, but I still find Ranged teams are great on this map. Though most Stealth figs will hurt them, as with any other map. Ult/Supes/TS/ES/:a-sharpshooter: are able to help with that.

Then again, if you ask most anyone I play against, I'm good at setting up the angles to find LOF that most others miss.

captainamerica1987
02/17/2011, 16:34
This is actually my favorite map that pisses people off every chance I play it. I never play keyword though so it isn't often.

Magneticlaw
02/17/2011, 18:45
Please mention somewhere how DANGEROUS Nightcrawler is on this map! its so fun going through EVERYTHING!!

Edit - you did... its late and i missed some...

Dangerous? A 2 damage isn't all that scary, just annoying.

tyroclix
02/17/2011, 19:04
I don't like this map.

I do love close-combat fights and frequently use figures with phasing - but every game devolves into the same fight in nearly the same location. I like close-combat maps but I want some diversity that this one heavily lacks.

One thing fun to do is to attach 2 Prison maps together so they look more like a "B". It provides for a little change of pace.

This is the map that shows how borken some traits and powers are.

On the other hand, this is the reason I roll my eyes when I read the standard idiotic comment of: "Just shoot him from range."

Sorry, chief. Only if YOU win map... :cool:

Feral2k
02/17/2011, 19:12
I didn't realize you could put two copies of this map together to make a super-prison. Now I need to get another copy to try that out.

dkrmguy
02/17/2011, 19:27
I truly enjoyed this article; it was a great read- Thanks!

I have the prison map but have always thought meh. I am actually excited about giving this one a try now.
You have the prison map. Bring it to the shop. I have never seen one or played on one.

tidge
02/17/2011, 19:54
I like this map. It's hard for me to pin down exactly what makes me like it so much, but I'll try: I think what I like best about this map is that it does not allow "degenerate" (well...maybe before Web of Spider-Man) team builds to work. Some examples of what I mean:

1) A certain force build strategy relies on 10+ range, with powers like Outwit, Probability Control and Perplex to have lines-of-fire to as man figures on the map as possible. The corridor essentially puts those figures in the way of each other, and such builds don't allow for easy deployment away from starting areas, so opponents with such forces get easily stymied.

2) LAMP (as well as other surround 'em" strategies) is somewhat hampered because it is possible to position so that you cant get completely surrounded. I should also mention that you cannot use Double-Time with Phasing just because many players forget.

3) TK+whatever leaves figures at serious risk of being in unfriendly confines. First strike is not always a good thing.

I'll admit to remembering many wins on this map. I'm sure I have as many losses on it, but I've played (and played against) many different types of teams on this map and the map has allowed me strategies to deal with all of them: Barrier goons found their forces split and themselves cornered by my entire team. Ranged-teams have found my force deployed in the center-way ready for action. Ground-pounders have found themselves facing nasty chokepoints.

In summary, it's not that I think this map favors a particular force, but that many players when faced with this map don't know how to make it favor their force.

vlad3theimpaler
02/17/2011, 21:30
Dangerous? A 2 damage isn't all that scary, just annoying.

If you think the damage value is what makes Nightcrawler scary, you're doing it wrong.

ibeatdrew
02/17/2011, 21:36
If you think the damage value is what makes Nightcrawler scary, you're doing it wrong.

Hahahahaha. I like that.

NubianKenji
02/17/2011, 23:31
Since the day this map came out i have brought it to every tourny i've been in. This map is for the Vets and the rookies. And it shows the talent of the player. I personally own 4 copies of this map one is laminated. The space is not wasted as some have complained if you use phase to escape or maneuver. the blocking is to coordinate you movement of the team as to have backup.

People it is a PRISON and you either fight your way out in the main hall, tunnel your way around with a spoon. Or Jedi mind trick your opponent to make a tactical error for fig can truly rule this map and no one team can only win on this map. Prison map shows your talent. So go to Prison Map and tell them Berry say, " Hey lil rubber ducky"

spike1138
02/17/2011, 23:40
A lot of the players at my venue dislike the Prison map. Not me. I used to hate playing on this map until I kept using it and finally "figured it out." Now, it's my absolute favorite map.

Quebbster
02/18/2011, 04:04
Maybe I should try figuring out this map...

Shuttle
02/18/2011, 08:10
My personal favourite figure for this map is the Spectre (cr). It was playing with him that I finally twigged how awesome P/T is on this map, and his long range and charge means that once he's down that central corridor he can dominate that area.

MantisWarrior
02/18/2011, 12:10
Actually, while I have no plans to review retired maps (as I have to cull the field somewhere, this will already run for over a year), I do plan to use the quick-shot review method in the near future for unofficial maps (which, if you have a printed map out there available for purchase, let me know so I can cover as wide a variety as is available!)

I love these Map reviews! But I am going to join the ranks who pester you for just one retired map review. I'd love to see a review of one of the early maps, ideally the infinity challenge starter because:
1) it would give a great baseline to see how far maps have come since then
2) It would go a long way to silence the few haters of some modern maps. It could be a LOT worse.
3) I'm nostalgic
4) You could pair it with the poll of the week. What do those two lorries count as? Hindering? Elevated? Blocking? Water? (delivery of Evian!!!). The debate provoked could be entertaining and give an insight into the terrain types people like to see.
So will Saturnflight finally weaken? Bribe? Threat? Rep? Don't make me beg!

Feral2k
02/19/2011, 13:11
I love these Map reviews! But I am going to join the ranks who pester you for just one retired map review. I'd love to see a review of one of the early maps, ideally the infinity challenge starter because:
1) it would give a great baseline to see how far maps have come since then
2) It would go a long way to silence the few haters of some modern maps. It could be a LOT worse.
3) I'm nostalgic
4) You could pair it with the poll of the week. What do those two lorries count as? Hindering? Elevated? Blocking? Water? (delivery of Evian!!!). The debate provoked could be entertaining and give an insight into the terrain types people like to see.
So will Saturnflight finally weaken? Bribe? Threat? Rep? Don't make me beg!

I've been trying to get saturnflight to do reviews of some of the Horrorclix maps as unofficial ones, just as you try for the old maps. If I could figure out how to get decent pictures of the four easily reviewed (Camp Crystal Lake, Freddie's World, the Haunted House and the Haunted Cemetary) on my computer I'd send them to him as a last resort to try and get them done. One can only hope.

mr_moneypenny
02/21/2011, 04:00
Another great write-up! Sure do love these articles...

I remember at the time Sinister came out (and this was the 'official' map for so many of the tourneys we played), there was a LOT of frustration at how much damage was needed to blow through one square of wall (basically, you had to do three squares worth of damage), and how few figures there were in the set that could really do ONE square, much less three... Certainly, the odds that you'd pull a TEAM with the ability to really smash through walls consistently was very, VERY rare in sealed...

In order to keep my friends playing on the map (and not just write it off out of frustration), I had to house-rule that you only needed one 3-damage hit to blow through a wall, and that pretty much keeps 'em happy... Some fun games on this map - I've won big and lost terribly, and pretty much every step in between. I like it.

Again, great review. Love these.
-jason

Interghast
02/21/2011, 12:44
I am setting up a game where the idea is to have 1-8 players try and escape from the Cells trhough a team of 800 points of Shield/Hammer/GCPD/Hydra Figures to make for a good challenge, depending on which universe your playing in, and whether its good guys or bad guys trying to escape.
The idea is that the players have to work together to get out of the confines of capture, the end goal would be the central corridor end squares, however a dampening field prevents teleporting and hypersonic speed, otherwise the game would be far too easy and each player would simply choose TPers.

Drop a couple of named characters in there like Nick Fury, Norman Osborne, Madame Hydra. to act as command peices and use them to direct your troops. whilst they are still alive you can continue to call forth your reserves of troops to bring more defenses in to the frey.

Im planning on running a session in the next couple of weeks, for 4 players and each player armed with 200 points of bad guys. Will make a journal of it to upload to Youtube or at least the highlights, if it goes well.

Quebbster
02/21/2011, 14:58
Maybe I should try figuring out this map...

I gave it a whirl at tonight's tournament when my Asgardian team (Ulik, Malekith and two Rock Trolls) faced off against a squad of Green Arrows (DC75, Crisis, Justice League, and CJ E). The Arrows quickly set up a snipers nest that covered most of the hallway, and I realized that even with TK it would be painful to take that route. Instead I opted to dig through one of the 1-square walls, which worked out great - the Arrows were too scared of engaging me up close and so stayed back and tried to wait me out. Once I got through I gave them a good thrashing, only losing a single Rock Troll.