PDA

View Full Version : HeroClix Map Review Heroclix Map Review: Battle Square

saturnflight
03/03/2011, 09:41
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21836293/Review-%20Battle%20Square.jpgThe impact a map can have on a game is often overlooked. A good strategy incorporates a tactically-sound map choice. But when it comes to locale, sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees. We're here to help you make smart decisions when it comes to Heroclix real estate.

Official Title: Battle Square
Commonly Known As: The Intersection
Map on Reverse: n/a
Dimensions: 36" x 36" (24x24 squares)
Set: Mutations and Monsters

saturnflight
03/03/2011, 09:42
http://www.ianparmenter.com/hcutils/maps/BS.jpg
Image courtesy of HCUtils (http://www.ianparmenter.com/hcutils/).

Official Title: Battle Square
Commonly Known As: The Intersection
Map on Reverse: n/a
Dimensions: 36" x 36" (24x24 squares)
Set: Mutations and Monsters
Availability: Was distributed in Mutations and Monsters prize support (in addition to the Arena), but not in large quantities. No longer commonly found in circulation.

saturnflight
What do you get when a superpowered fight erupts in the middle of a busy intersection? Let's see... a flipped bus, an overturned semi, a car doing a faceplant into the concrete, some cratered asphalt, and a shocking lack of cars available as weaponry! Okay, so maybe this intersection isn't all that busy, and I can only imagine the police were nearby to barricade it off from further traffic. Even considering all that, the Battle Square is pretty well littered with debris.

When we looked at the Bridge last week, the road was scaled much too small, with a single square covering the entire length of a lane of traffic. Compare that to this map, where what I'd assume is three lanes each way equals a 12-square road. That's twice the size! Of course, this one has scaling issues in the other direction: take a look at that Wizdogs cart! I like to fit two characters side by side in a Heroclix car, but if it means I have to accept street vendor carts my figures can live in, I'll pass.

Wreckage is the predominant feature here. A nice mix of Hindering, Blocking, and Elevated terrain are all used in representing the destruction of the square, and the configuration of each of these sections is actually quite interesting. Many of the terrain types run along next to each other, giving potential to a lot of unique situations: Force Blast a Stealth figure out of hiding and into Blocking terrain, Quake an opponent off a roof and leave them slowed in Hindering, or even Charge a long-range sniper from the other side of protective Blocking or Elevated terrain.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21836293/Mini-%20Battle%203.jpg
Mallah could spend 2 turns moving the 11 squares it'd take to base Krypto.
Because of flight, Mallah is close enough for Krypto to Charge.

The thick masses of terrain really make this map interesting. Seldom do you find so much Blocking terrain placed so prominently. The stretches of Elevated terrain give a lot of area to provide cover fire from, while staying right in the action. Deep sections of hindering terrain can make it tough to even get next to a concealed opponent, which can give even short-range figures a fighting chance.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21836293/Mini-%20Battle%201.jpg
Manhunter's 4 range, combined with the terrain,
is enough to attack Clayface from outside the range of his Charge.

The elevated terrain here was actually used in an interesting fashion. While there are a lot of squares up on top of the semi or bus, the ladders up to them are few and easy to block off. That does little to keep an elevated figure safe, however...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21836293/Mini-%20Battle%202.jpg
It's easy to keep close combat figures at bay on top of the trucks,
but hard to stay safe from ranged combat attacks.

If you're reaching for the Battle Square, it's likely because you're highly mobile and are looking to make the most of that advantage. For 4-player games, this map often acts as the multiplayer version of the Junkyard.

So who should you cross the street with?

-Quake and Force Blast. I recommend these a lot in map reviews because their value lies SO much in what a map provides! This map has a lot of precarious positions, and careful placement is the name of the game. Most of the time, moving a figure 2 or more squares in a direction of your choosing will destroy their options. As a bonus, a lot of knockback damage opportunities are available here. Aim for the walls!

-Telekinesis. Yes, you should be playing this map with a predominantly mobile team. But for those of us who play based on comic rosters, that's not often a choice. To make up for that, pack some terrain-avoiding Telekinesis and send your allies into the fight! Combine with the above for a fun figure-placing combo!

-Leap/Climb, Phasing, Ultimates, Flight, etc. all provide the ability to avoid terrain. That's critical here, where your path will often be obstructed by some form of inconvenient wreckage. Those powers that work in conjunction with move and attack abilities are ideal (see Krypto's advantage in the diagram above).

-Long range is preferable to high movement on a map where obstacles slow you down. Here, it's easy for a ranged combat attacker to keep a close combat target at bay for a long time; a 10 range, even targeting a figure with 10 movement, can hold out a while through careful positioning.

-Probability Control can help you connect when you take your shots; many times, you'll only have one figure with line of fire, and hindering terrain bonuses will often come up as well. A second chance can be invaluable.

saturnflight
It's time to rate the Battle Square!

Theme: 3/5
There's nothing necessarily comic-like about a wrecked intersection, but there's nothing wrong with it either. There's a lot of interesting use of different terrain types to represent more of the same. Overall, that's how I feel as I scan the map: more of the same.
Clarity: 4/5
Despite the dark tone, there's little confusing about the layout of this map. There's plenty to be confused about aesthetically, however... it took me forever to figure out that was a half-buried car in E15-H16!
Tactical Impact: 3/5
A fair amount of maneuvering is required to navigate this map, and depending on which side you start on you'll need to figure out the most effective way to use your terrain. That said, most strategies will continue to work here as expected.
Balance: 2/5
Mobility is given a VERY high advantage here, and that's tough for many teams to swallow. Range also is given priority, and if one team sets up a ranged combat unit on top of an overturned bus, the other team will have a hard time dealing with it if they can't return fire of their own. Stealth also does well here, an ability that needs no additional support in the current metagame. All in all, this map seems to boost all the wrong people.
Terrain Diversity: 4/5
I do love how wreckage is represented with 3 different terrain types. And yet in all this they couldn't find a way to include water. Ah well, can't have everything.

Overall: 3.2/5
I wanted to like this map more, as I've been inclined to play it time after time, but when all's said and done it's just not that creative and not that balanced. In a multiplayer game this map gets a higher recommendation, simply because so many teams neutralize the possible dire consequences of a mismatch. But I review for two, and as two go this map is a less than ideal choice. If you WANT the advantage of requiring mobility, lots of hindering, and a devastating higher ground, you should be using the Junkyard.

We'll see you next week, as we head back into unofficial waters for a special edition of custom map reviews. If you've got a custom map available for sale to the community, be sure to let me know! Until then, enjoy the scenery!

flakbait
03/03/2011, 09:50
I'm a big fan of this map, myself. It's a great map for balanced teams up against Alpha Strike-style teams.

saturnflight
03/03/2011, 10:13
A centerpiece team will struggle here, so I can see that!

JRS4
03/03/2011, 11:58
Nice review. I actually like this map, but I do tend to play range heavy teams.

Also just wanted to point out that this map was not in the cases of M&M. It was part of the second round prize kit of M&M. During this time they were doing two prize kits and two maps for each release.

This map was from World War Hulk. So a destroyed downtown intersection was comic appropriate for that story ark.

Mr. Cranberry
03/03/2011, 12:30
This, along with the Starro Bay & Galactus Rooftop, is in my top three maps I'd like to acquire.

Ouchmaker
03/03/2011, 13:12
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21836293/Mini-%20Battle%201.jpg
Manhunter's 4 range, combined with the terrain,
is enough to attack Clayface from outside the range of his Charge.

I assume you're talking about the V Clayface from CD, since (outside of the LE Ultimate Clayface) is the only regular Clayface with Charge. Old Clay has 8 movement in his only Charge click, giving him 4 squares to Charge. Top-right, Right, Bottom-right. That's only 3 squares, and while it stops his movement, he can still attack the Rookie Manhunter (only one with 4 range). Clayface needs 8 or less to hit Kate, and deals up 6 damage, but atleast 3 damage if he hits. Meanwhile Kate needs 11 to hit Clay with a ranged combat attack thanks to her 8 or less attack value, and Clay needs to fail his Shape Change. :cheeky:

But outside of that, the picture does show how much of a difference the hindering terrain does on this map. :)

Shield001
03/03/2011, 13:32
I like perplexing range to 1 to shoot people blocking the ladder, or those just standing up there thinking they are safe from my grounded close combat figure.

Never thpught I would ever have to perplex range to 1, good ol Johnny Qucik :laugh:

I used to like this map but have not played it in a while.

DaeRave
03/03/2011, 13:41
lol i love this map. best map theyve put out in years.

saturnflight
03/03/2011, 14:42
I assume you're talking about the V Clayface from CD, since (outside of the LE Ultimate Clayface) is the only regular Clayface with Charge. Old Clay has 8 movement in his only Charge click, giving him 4 squares to Charge. Top-right, Right, Bottom-right. That's only 3 squares, and while it stops his movement, he can still attack the Rookie Manhunter (only one with 4 range). Clayface needs 8 or less to hit Kate, and deals up 6 damage, but atleast 3 damage if he hits. Meanwhile Kate needs 11 to hit Clay with a ranged combat attack thanks to her 8 or less attack value, and Clay needs to fail his Shape Change. :cheeky:

But outside of that, the picture does show how much of a difference the hindering terrain does on this map. :)

Ha ha! That's what I get for isolating a section and then basing my example on that! 10 points to you!

Darkjawa103
03/03/2011, 22:43
I am a little confused. Wasn't "The Arena" map from the Mutations and Monsters set?

Lucy in the sky
03/04/2011, 02:16
I love this map! Great review

Wombatboy
03/04/2011, 02:32
I love this map. It's one of my favorites for multiplayer games. The variety of terrain keeps things interesting and has something for almost everyone. Snipers love the elevated terrain while enough cover is available for characters seeking shelter. Fliers and speedsters both fare well here. Swimmers, as is often the case, are out of luck.

NeoShazam
03/04/2011, 11:01
I like the visuals but the game play on it hasn't been that great.
Once the battle is engaged nobody really moves from their spots until KO.

MantisWarrior
03/04/2011, 12:27
I'd always considered this a bit of a dull map, a bit of everything on it but nothing special. Thanks for pointing out just how big those terrain areas are! I need to play this map again and force blast someone with WOS Iron man slap bang into the middle of a pile of green and watch them try to wade back over to me!

NubianKenji
03/05/2011, 01:09
OoTs Bats rules this map with Danger & Leader in the bus watching over head. Good map it is the variety of terrains that hurts most on this map it just confuses them to think too one focused. But i am really enjoying the map reviews. since I have at least 3 of each map in my clix collection. your giving a great neutral view of them and comments from others I think are opening many eyes to old maps to reinvent their game. keep it up every one.

bill4935
03/05/2011, 14:49
My copy of this map is extremely dark. It looks nothing like the photos in this thread. Anyone else have this problem?

It's that darkness that makes it so low in my rankings. I can see the coloured zones, but since I can't see what they're supposed to be (looking at the pic on p.1 I said to myself "Oh, it's a car!") I really don't enjoy playing on it. Just too murky.