HeroClix Realms

HeroClix Realms (http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/index.php)
-   Play By Post (http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   RPSC: Uncanny X-men #21: Strange Bedfellows (http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268199)

WakandaMan 01/18/2010 06:19

RPSC: Uncanny X-men #21: Strange Bedfellows
 
Written by RookieBatman
Edited by WakandaMan


Bobby Drake woke up, and immediately wished he hadn’t. When your living quarters consist of a room that’s filled with eighty people, and about big enough to comfortably fit thirty, you tend to hold onto sleep as long as you can. Bobby felt like there were seventeen different elbows poking him in the ribs, and he had a headache from trying to use a dirt floor as a pillow.

Doubtless the young lady whose head was resting on his chest had been a little more comfortable. One glance down at her face, her blonde hair splayed all over his upper body, and he decided that it could be a lot worse. Because they may have been stuffed in a blockhouse with eighty other people, but at least they’d been stuffed in there together.

“Hey, Alison,” he said softly, judging her to be awaking slowly. He caressed her hair, and her eyes fluttered open delicately. She raised her head groggily and gave him a kiss; it tasted like morning breath, but he didn’t mind just then.

“Hey,” he said, surprised, “I thought we were keeping this a secret.”

“It really doesn’t seem important right now,” Alison replied, “Or, at least, more trouble than it’s worth.” She had enough to worry about wondering if anyone would notice that Alison Blair, pop sensation, had ended up in the mutant camp. It just wouldn’t be worth the effort to hide her relationship with Bobby when she needed his support all the more.

“Works for me,” Bobby shrugged. He looked down in the direction of his feet, and saw Domino looking up at them with an impish grin. “What?” He asked, wishing he could toss an icicle at her.

“You and Dazzler, huh?” She asked, laughing. “Didn’t see that coming.”

“I’m glad you find it so entertaining,” Alison said, a little defensive.

“If you haven’t noticed,” Domino retorted, “We’re living in a box. I’ll take whatever entertainment I can get.” Alison calmed down, and Domino smiled again. “So, how long you guys been together?” It couldn’t have been that long, Domino thought. After all, Dazzler hadn’t even joined the team until just before the alien attack*.

[*That’d be the Brood in X-Men #19, for anyone keeping score.]

“We met while I was still in training,” Alison explained.

“I actually managed to get myself in as one of her trainers,” Bobby added with a chuckle, “Kind of irresponsible, but hey, it worked out alright.” Cyclops would kill me if he found out, he mused silently.

“Wow,” Domino said, looking at Alison with a mix of resentment and admiration, “Impressive. I guess you have that effect on people. Iceman always gave me the cold shoulder.”

“Very funny,” Bobby replied. “If I’d known you were interested, I might’ve...” From the corner of his eye, he say Alison’s look turning sour. “...Still not been... um, hey, is that Northstar sitting all by himself?” Bobby asked desperately. But it really was him, huddled all alone in a corner, or at least, separated from the rest of the team, since no one could really be alone in a room that crowded.

Bobby got up and began wading through the sea of bodies to get to Jean-Paul. As he went, he heard Alison say something to Domino, and then they both burst out laughing. So, it had begun.

“Hey, Man,” Bobby said, when he finally made it over to Jean-Paul, “you doing okay?” Northstar was a couple years younger than Bobby, and he had never really seemed very enthusiastic about being on the X-Men.

“I’m not really happy about being in such a cramped space,” Jean-Paul replied irritably, without looking up. “That’s what happens when you’re a speedster.”

“Quicksilver seems to be doing fine,” Bobby said, without thinking. Jean-Paul’s head popped up angrily.

“Oh, very nice, Mister Sensitive! Good call. Look, just leave me alone, alright?”

“Hey, what’s with you?” Bobby asked, realizing he had already lost the situation, “It’s like you’re not even trying to fit in with the group!”

“Maybe I just like solitude. Is that okay with you?”

“Sure, fine,” Bobby said. He turned around, shaking his head, “Have fun with that.”

“You got it, Boss,” Jean-Paul said sarcastically, and put his head back down.

* * *

Havok had been awake for some time, and had spent at least an hour just staring off into the dimness of the room, considering what would come next. He had spoken with Magneto the night before, and even though Magneto had given them the potential ability to escape, it would require a lot of trust in people the X-Men weren’t used to trusting...

Magneto had come into their building just before the curfew started. Or was it just after? He and Mystique seemed to have uncommon freedom of movement here. Magneto approached the huddled group of X-Men regally, walking in a straight, steady line despite how crowded the place was. Although, whether he was simply trodding over people, Alex couldn’t tell in the low light. Mystique followed closely behind him.

“Where is Cyclops?” Magneto asked, when he had approached.

“He didn’t get captured,” Havok said warily.

“Which one of you is acting as leader?” Magneto asked impatiently. Havok looked over at Storm and Jean; neither of them said anything, so he stood.

“I guess I am,” Havok said, feeling suddenly nervous to be standing so close to someone who had so much history with the X-Men. In fact, Havok had joined the X-Men just after Magneto had decimated the mansion*, in his most brazen attack yet. So it was very hard for Alex to think of him as anything other than a mortal enemy.

[*That was in X-Men #15, whether you’re keeping score or not.]

“Ah, yes!” Magneto said, recognizing him as he moved closer. “Havok of X-Factor, the government puppets. An embarrassment to all mutants,” he added, more to himself.

“We did a lot for mutant relations in the couple years we were around. All you’ve ever done is make people hate us more!”

“They already hated us,” Magneto retorted arrogantly, “and always will. They fear our superiority. Someday, perhaps, you will see that there can be no coexistence with humans.”

Havok had to repress the urge to continue the debate. “Why are you here?”

“In the outside world, I combat the X-Men because they oppose what I seek to achieve,” Magneto began, as if everything he said required some greater, more lofty context, “But here, we are all simply mutants being oppressed. I see no reason that we would not seek to achieve the same ends here.”

“If you’re talking about getting out,” Havok said more quietly, “then I can probably agree with that much.”

“I have escaped from camps far worse than this before,” Magneto said, with a momentary look of faraway melancholy. “I do not intend to remain in this one any longer than I must. If it takes inciting the entire body of prisoners to overthrow the guards by main force, I will certainly do so. But there may yet be a less facile option. Tell me, have any of your members maintained some fragment of their mutant abilities?”

“Yeah,” Havok said, nodding over to Jean. She stood up, and joined their little circle.

“I’ve still got some of my psychic abilities,” she said. “I can hear thought impressions, maybe read minds if I get really close. It’s limited, though.”

“That may serve our purposes quite well,” Magneto said thoughtfully.

“What purposes?” Havok asked impatiently.

“I, too, know of one who held onto his power. The Juggernaut, though still captured, proved somewhat resistant to Doom’s nullifier weapon. With one as powerful as Juggernaut, it would take very little to free him, if we can determine where he is being held.”

“We did a little looking around yesterday,” Havok explained; he had taken a group on a recon mission while some of the others had gotten in a fight with the Brotherhood to distract the guards. “We found what looks like a secret entrance to an underground facility. We figured that was where the controls for the nullifier field was kept, but maybe that’s where they’re keeping Juggernaut.”

“Yes, that must be it,” Magneto mused, “Doom wouldn’t dare move him far from the nullifier field, even with its limited effect. If we can free Juggernaut, he will be certainly of incomparable value in affecting our escape!”

“I don’t doubt that,” Havok replied. When Magneto had wrecked the mansion, before he showed up himself, he had sent in Juggernaut to get things started*. It had taken most of the team to take him out just by himself. “But I’m really not sure I like the idea of letting Juggernaut loose. I mean, it’s not like you’re gonna let us put him back in custody after this is all over.”

[*X-Men #13, bla, bla, etc.]

“Are you so foolish that you would presume to leave Juggernaut within Doom’s influence, for your own protection? Know that Juggernaut is not so loyal to my ideals that he would not join with Doom, if given the opportunity. And I feel quite confident that Doom will give him the opportunity as soon as he feels more capable of controlling him.”

“So, you’re saying Juggernaut’s gonna be our problem either way?” Havok asked.

“I assert that if we release Juggernaut, he will be vital in securing our freedom, but may become your adversary again in the future. However, if we don’t release him, then he will certainly become Doom’s pawn. You really have very little choice in the matter.”

...and then, without any word, Magneto had left. Havok still wanted to believe that there was some other way to escape besides freeing Juggernaut. But the more he thought about it, the more he had to agree that using Juggernaut for his own ends was something that Doom would probably do. So the X-Men could deprive him of that weapon, while at the same time giving themselves a means of escape. It would be two birds with one stone, and maybe, just maybe, they could prevent Juggernaut from wreaking any more havoc, although Magneto would certainly have his own feelings on that subject. It was a situation that could turn sour very easily, but it still might be the best option available to them.

Alex’s reverie was interrupted by the realization that someone was heading over in his direction. Many of the people in the blockhouse were up now, which meant the person approaching had to make his way through people who were standing as well as prone. The sea of bodies rippled as the person came closer, and Havok realized whoever it was was clearly in a hurry.

When he finally got a good look, Havok still didn’t recognize the man. He looked middle-aged, with short but curly brown hair, and a very agitated expression on his face.

“I take it by your ridiculous outfits that you would be the X-Men?” The man asked shortly.

“Uh, yeah,” Havok said, a little taken aback by the strange introduction.

“I’m Johnny Callaghan,” the man said, flicking the tip of his nose with his finger. It was clearly something he did without thinking, but Havok momentarily had the urge to return the gesture. “I’m a mutant healer, at least, I am when some tin-plated maniac isn’t getting his jollies by stifling my powers. Moira and I were on my way to meet you when Doom’s robots brought us here. And when I say I was on my way to meet you, ya should know that I mean ‘the X-Men,’ and not you specifically, because the fact is, I really couldn’t care less who you are, specifically.”

“Well, I am sort of in charge right now,” Havok said, feeling very bewildered by the strange man.

“Wow, and I just found out that I actually can care less who you are!” Johnny replied, with an exaggerated grin. “This has been great and all, but I really just have one question. Are there still alien bits floating around in your bodies?

Havok stood there for a moment, completely lost.

Johnny whistled at him, as if calling a dog. “Hello? The blonde dye soaking into your brain? Or was your mutant power basic comprehension skills?”

“Um...aliens...” Havok said, realizing he was referring to the aliens that had attacked the X-Men and after capturing some of them, had used them as host bodies for their parasitic offspring*. “You mean the parasites.”

[*If you don’t know when that was, scroll back up and look at my first footnote. Go on, I’ll wait.]

“Good boy!” Johnny said mockingly. “So, now that we’ve got those basic language skills beaten cold, let’s push right on to the part where that was a question.” Johnny stood there with his eyebrows raised, waiting impatiently. Havok suddenly felt like a young student facing some intimidating professor.

“Um, yeah, I guess we do,” he finally said, “Although, I wouldn’t really say they’re floating...”

“That’s re-heally interesting there, Champ, but I think there are more important things we need to be discussing. Like, why are you purposefully endangering the entirety of civilization?”

“I’m afraid I don’t know what you mean,” Havok said, starting to wonder if this guy was even sane.

“See, I’ve only known you for, oh, one and a half minutes, but I’d already begun to assume that that was gonna be the case. That’s how fast my mind works, and, huh-ya know, I’m not even going on coffee here. So, since the intellectual divide is so massive, and since I lack the time or inclination to explain it to with sock puppets, let me just try to progress through this reeeaaal slow. You are in the X-Men,” Johnny said, giving each word over-emphasis. “The X-Men were attacked by parasitic aliens. The parasitic aliens took over your... okay, you know what? I just stopped caring. The point is, Hank asked Moira for a specialist to help remove the remaining alien parts from your bodies. Since I’m the guy, and I haven’t performed any major surgery recently, I’m just gonna have to assume that hasn’t happened yet. Which, here’s the punchline, means that the currently dormant aliens could reassert control and start spreading again. Except now you’re in a populated area, which means they’ll spread a lot faster, and pretty soon, we’ll all be eating bugs with our tentacles!”

“But the parasites all died when the queen got killed.”

“There you go, thinking again,” Johnny retorted. “Gosh, you know, when I woke up this morning, I had said I was gonna be patient to mentally-handicapped people, but you are really just making it so hard! Just exactly what part of ‘alien’ don’t you understand? A dead alien, and an alien that looks dead are not the same things! The only way we can be sure that those parasites will not take over your bodies again, is if we remove all the pieces that are left, and destroy them, preferably by something like a tactical nuke or dropping them down the mouth of a volcano.”

“What? You’re saying you want to perform surgery, here?” Havok asked, disbelieving.

Johnny sighed and shook his head. “That’s a plan, alright. Next time Dr. Doom comes by, I’ll just ask him for some scalpels, I’m sure he won’t mind. But in case he happens to be out of them, might I recommend that you start using those disappointingly slow brains of yours to come up with a way to get out of here? And when ya do, you better make d*** sure that I’m ridin’ on that gravy train with you, because if all the folks back home are as smart as you, there’s no way you’re gonna be able to do surgery without me.”

“Well, we kind of have some leads already.”

“That’s great and don’t even think about telling me what they are,” Johnny said, all in one breath, “I just thought you should be warned.” Johnny’s attitude softened ever-so-slightly. “Maybe the alien remains will stay dormant, let’s hope so, but if they don’t, then the clocks ticking and nobody knows when it could go off. So unless you want to just trust that those aliens’ll play nice and stay dead, then you really need to quit your little vacation here and start lookin’ for the exit signs.”

Johnny turned around and began making his way back through the crowd. Havok just stood there, shaking his head in utter confusion.

* * *

Jean stepped out of the building where the X-Men were being held with a grateful sigh, glad that it was the part of the day when the prisoners were allowed to move around the camp in the fresh air. She looked down at her costume. The usually bright green had been muted into a sort of dark olive, from all the dirt that had worked its way into it in just a couple days of sleeping on the ground. She had lost the sash long ago, and wasn’t sure how long the soles of her boots would last. The X-Men’s costumes were made to be hearty, but were never really meant to be worn nonstop for days.

But she decided, there were bigger things to worry about. Getting out, was naturally the most important of them. Whether Doom was gonna start executing prisoners was another, but if they got out quickly they wouldn’t have to worry too much about that (especially if they could bring all the other prisoners out with them). Jean had never thought of herself as a leader, but she wasn’t completely sure whether Havok would be able to handle this situation. Maybe that was just Scott’s bias seeping through; Scott had never thought too highly of Alex’s leadership skills. One thing was certain though; she knew she wouldn’t want to have to make a decision like whether to trust Magneto. That’s what she had always admired about Scott. He could always make a decision with confidence and poise, no matter how difficult.

But why was she thinking about Scott? They hadn’t been together for a long time, ever since the time that the Phoenix Force had taken over her body*. By the time she was herself again, Scott had never looked at her in quite the same way and she had never understood why. Eventually she had just given up. Technically they were still married†, but they hadn’t ever acted like it since then.

[*That was back in X-Men Vol. 1, #9.]

[†Yes, it’s true, though long forgotten; they were actually married as of the start of the RPSC.]

But that’s all in the past, she thought. Perhaps getting melancholy about failed relationships was a side-effect of being in captivity. It could hardly be considered the most pressing issue at this point.

Jean looked down as she walked, lost in thought and didn’t bother to stay aware of her surroundings. But something caught her in from the periphery, and she looked up to see Emma Frost standing there. What was she doing here? Jean’s first impulse was to walk away; she had never particularly liked Emma, and hadn’t been terribly upset when Emma had left the team a while ago*. But it appeared that Emma had already seen her so she couldn’t get away now.

[*Do you care exactly when Emma left? ‘Cause I sure don’t. Okay fine, it was also after X-Men #15, when Magneto brought down the house. There, you happy now?]

“Hello, Jean,” Emma said with her usual silky-smooth voice. Somehow, her trashily-revealing white garb still seemed pristine.

“Oh, hi, Emma,” Jean said. “How’d you get here?”

“I came with Moira; I figured a visit would be nice, and maybe I could have a little excitement while I was here. This isn’t quite what I had in mind.”

“Is Moira here?” Jean asked.

“No,” Emma replied, “No humans here. Maybe she’s being held somewhere, or they might’ve let her go.”

“I hope she’s okay,” Jean said thoughtfully.

“I’m sure she’ll be fine,” Emma responded with her patronizing smile, “Dr. Doom, for whatever reason, seems hesitant towards collateral damage.”

“I sure hope so,” Jean said. “And, the girl, Rogue? She came with you and Moira too, right?”

“Yes.”

“Do you know her very well?” Jean asked, “It seems like she’s changed a lot since we brought her to Muir Island.”

“I don’t know her very well,” Emma replied, “But it’s clear that she’s shy. It must be hard, having a mutant power that makes it uncomfortable for people if you touch them. I know I wouldn’t like that. I could see how it might make someone keep to themselves.”

Jean nodded, making a mental note to try and visit the girl later, see if she needed some company. “How are things with Brian?”

“Things?” Emma asked, with feigned innocence.

“Oh, um, I thought that you two were...” Jean said cautiously.

“A couple? No. He’s really just a playmate. It was a nice change of pace, spending some time across the pond, but I think I might like to come back over here soon.”

“Oh, well, that’d be nice,” Jean said, inwardly hoping that Emma changed her mind.

“Well, it was good seeing you, Jean.”

“You too.”

* * *

“Have you made your decision yet?” A deep, resonant voice intoned.

Havok whirled around, feeling his heart skip a beat, and saw Magneto standing behind him, looking as impatient as ever. He had come outside to try to relax a little, as much as one can in a prison camp; apparently, Magneto had other ideas.

“What are you, Batman?” Havok asked incredulously. Magneto only regarded him stonily.

“I have no time for tomfoolery!” Magneto replied, “If we in the Brotherhood must undertake this mission alone, we will do so. But if we fail, you may find you have little other recourse to succeed.”

“I don’t think you’re giving the X-Men enough credit Magneto, but as much as I hate saying this I think you’re right that Doom probably would use Juggernaut for his own purposes. And you know what they say, keep your friends close and your enemies closer.”

“Shall I assume that all that worthless prattle means that you will indeed join us?”

“Yeah,” Havok replied reluctantly. “Let’s just hope I live long enough to regret it.”

X-men and Brotherhood
1) 44 44 mm039 V Havok
2) 40 40 R M&M Cuckoo #4 (Phoebe)
3) 50 50 MM31 R Polaris
4) 39 39 39 Sn 31 R Tessa /Sage
5) 52 AW52 R Quicksilver
6) 103 103 ic129 V Magneto
7) 42 43 xp029 E Mystique
8) 32 32 ct033 V Avalanche
9) 42 42 ic093 V Pyro
10) 119 FF064 Juggernaut* (Captured at G10)
*w/Unstoppable 5pts

Doom's Guards
1) 16 HT004 Metropolis SCU H19
2) 18 HT005 Metropolis SCU H16
3) 21 HT006 Metropolis SCU A18
4) 9 CJ013 R Lex Corp Security M15
5) 14 CJ014 E Lex Corp Security O20
6) 20 CJ015 V Lex Corp Security K19
7) 14 UN010 R Science Police G12
8) 19 UN011 E Science Police B10
9) 21 UN012 V Science Police F5
A) 16 UN013 R Kobra Fanatic I8
B) 18 UN014 E Kobra Fanatic I5
C) 24 UN015 V Kobra Fanatic P8

Inactive Doombots
D2, F1, H2, J1, L2, N1

Map: The Lab

BC:SABOTAGE (Secret Invasion #003): Before the beginning of the first round, the player who played this battlefield condition may place an action token on any one opposing character. Then, continuing clockwise around the table, each other player may choose to roll a d6; on a result of 4-6, that player may place an action token on any one opposing character that does not already have one.


Special Rules:
- The X-men & Brotherhood automatically get the initiative. They also get to place the initial Sabotage token as if they played the BC.
- Both players can place one Laser Turret instead of a regular Heavy as one of their objects.
- The X-men and Brotherhood teams start in the bottom starting area. Doom's human guards are already positioned around the map, as is Juggy.
- To release the Juggernaut, one of the Brotherhood or X-men must make it to the computer squares at B9/B10 and take a power action. Roll 1d6 and add it to their attack value. If the result is greater than 10, the Juggernaut can be used by the X-men and Brotherhood.
- The Power-Nullifying field is still on as from the last game. Therefore the X-men and Brotherhood cannot use any of their abilities, except for the following: Stealth, Perplex, Outwit, Leadership, Charge and Flurry. All Brotherhood and X-men characters have zero range, and characters with :m-wing: have :m-boot: instead. The Doom teams and the Juggernaut can use all of their powers. If all the blocking terrain at A5, A6, B5 and B6 is destroyed, then the nullifying field will go down and all characters will be able to use all of their abilities again.
- The Guards cannot move until an X-men or Brotherhood member or Guard from another area has entered their 'room'. There are four rooms on the map; the bottom outside area, the left indoor side, the right indoor side and the top. If a guard moves to the alarm in square M10 and takes a power action to activate the alarm, then all guards can move.
- Doom has left some Doombots nearby just in case but they are inactive. They are represented by the Blue object tokens. If a Doom Guard moves to an adjacent square they can take a power action to activate one. Roll 1d6 and replace the blue dot with the figure corresponding to the appropriate result:
1 = CT28 R Doom-bot
2 = CT29 E Doom-bot
3 = CT30 V Doom-bot
4 = SI106 R Doombot 3095
5 = SI107 E Doombot 5953
6 = CT110 LE Dr. Doom

Good luck! If the X-men and Brotherhood fail to destroy the nullifier field generator, it won't be good at all for them. If they succeed, then I'll let choonhui choose a Battlefield Condition or Special Object that he can use once in any future game. This should be an interesting one to villainize!

Melkhor 01/18/2010 06:30

*blinks* Did we just see a guest-appearance from Dr. Cox there? :laugh:

RookieBatman 01/18/2010 08:28

Heck yes! One shiny new No-Prize for Melkhor! Very astute. And he will be back, by the way.

mikeinmke 01/19/2010 11:29

Great research on the earlier X-Men issues, RBatman! I applaud your thoroughness and appreciate your attention to detail and continuity!

RookieBatman 01/19/2010 12:20

Thank you kindly. I am kind of a continuity freak in general, so it comes in handy for this type of thing. I've been trying to think of ways that we could have the information more readily available, though, so writers who aren't insane (like me) enough to read through all the back issues will be able to keep up with continuity.

Like, did you know that Trask was previously seen in the RPSC? I didn't, until I happened to re-read it last week. (It was in X-Men Vol. 1 #7.) Fortunately, no real discontinuity; he was doing work on Sentinels, but he had only gotten as far as the Sentinel Troopers. Him working with Doom on robots is actually quite a logical next step. So we dodged a minor bullet there, but the point is, it would be really nice to have some sort of index to check and see whether some obscure character had made a previous appearance. But, of course, that would take a monstrous amount of time, effort, and space. Oh well, a guy can dream.

choonhui 01/19/2010 12:28

Set-up
 
Question....
C18-F19 is that water terrain ?

Intiative rolls mutant get-it , Object rolls 3,3


What is to prevent the guard#1 & #2 from making a rush for the alam at turn 1. Esp if he is willing to push.

Suggestion **** For guards #1 & #2, #3 , Until the first mutant pass adjacent or stop next to them, they cannot rush for the Alam. However they can move to block or hinder my moves.

X-men and Brotherhood
1) 44 44 mm039 V Havok E23
2) 40 40 R M&M Cuckoo #4 (Phoebe) E24
3) 50 50 MM31 R Polaris E25
4) 39 39 39 Sn 31 R Tessa /Sage E26
5) 52 AW52 R Quicksilver E24
6) 103 103 ic129 V Magneto E25
7) 42 43 xp029 E Mystique E26
8) 32 32 ct033 V Avalanche E27
9) 42 42 ic093 V Pyro E28
10) 119 FF064 Juggernaut* (Captured at G10)
*w/Unstoppable 5pts

Doom's Guards
1) 16 HT004 Metropolis SCU H19
2) 18 HT005 Metropolis SCU H16
3) 21 HT006 Metropolis SCU A18
4) 9 CJ013 R Lex Corp Security M15
5) 14 CJ014 E Lex Corp Security O20
6) 20 CJ015 V Lex Corp Security K19
7) 14 UN010 R Science Police G12
8) 19 UN011 E Science Police B10
9) 21 UN012 V Science Police F5
A) 16 UN013 R Kobra Fanatic I8
B) 18 UN014 E Kobra Fanatic I5
C) 24 UN015 V Kobra Fanatic P8

Inactive Doombots
D2, F1, H2, J1, L2, N1

Map: The Lab



Proposed Set-up
http://www.ianparmenter.com/hcutils/...cp2=x-330y-213

RookieBatman 01/19/2010 12:40

I'd also like to say, on an unrelated subject, that I'm terribly anxious about this scenario. If I were the one playing it, I think my hair would be falling out (not that I take these games seriously or anything :cheeky:). Even without powers, some of Choons pieces still have really strong stats, but those guards could swarm them pretty quickly. But then, if they can release Juggy, he should probably be able to roll over most of the guards pretty quickly. But, oh boy, if they don't take out the nullifier field generator, I shudder to think what horrors our esteemed editor will visit upon us...

Which begs the question, is my team gonna be affected by the outcome of this one, or is that classified?

RookieBatman 01/19/2010 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by choonhui (Post 4507974)
What is to prevent the guard#1 & #2 from making a rush for the alam at turn 1. Esp if he is willing to push.

Since you get to go first, you can immediately base 1 and 3. You can put the Sabotage token on 2, and he only has a speed of 6, so even if he pushes, he can't get to the alarm on turn 1. So, it would be at least turn 4 before he (or anyone else, by my estimation) could set it off. I think it's probably not something you can delay inevitably, but that should at least give you a little head start.

RookieBatman 01/19/2010 13:05

Supplemental opening story post:

The night had come. Havok had been in the blockhouse with Polaris and the others, enjoying the brief period when the shoddy building wasn’t jammed with prisoners. But the sweetness of being able to spread his legs was tempered by the knowledge that what X-Men were still there would be undertaken a very dangerous, and very crucial mission.

Most of prisoners had been brought out and formed into work groups. They were working on some type of construction, possibly building another blockhouse to hold more prisoners. Since almost all of the guards were keeping watch on that main body of prisoners, this night had been chosen to make the raid that would, with good fortune, free Juggernaut. But that raid would involve descending into an underground complex with no prior knowledge of what they would find when they went in.

Besides Havok, there were only five X-Men that weren’t put on the work groups. Polaris, Jean, Sage, Quicksilver, and one of the Cuckoo girls. She had been despondent about be separated from her sisters, and had tried to join the workers. But the guards were very specific about how many workers were in each group; they probably were reasonably afraid of a mob forming. Six X-Men would ordinarily be enough for a simple raid, but that was when they had their powers. This time, they’d better hope their knuckles didn’t give out, because that’s all they had going for them.

Then Magneto had come in with Mystique, Avalanche and Pyro following. Havok still wasn’t too comfortable working with the Brotherhood, but the numbers would help. Havok knew that Magneto had pulled some mysterious strings to keep himself, Mystique, and Jean out of the work groups. He mused for a moment about whether Magneto might have actually gone to the trouble of seeing to it that Havok and Polaris were kept together as well. Could the hard-bitten old terrorist actually have an ounce of generosity buried somewhere? Havok didn’t think it likely; it was probably just coincidence.

So now they were waiting in the biting cold, concealing themselves outside the entrance to the underground facility. Without their powers, they had no way to get in via the direct approach. However, with the fragment of psychic power that Jean had retained, they could still get the vital information. Of course, for that to work, they needed someone available to get the information from.

“What if no one comes out,” Havok asked. Magneto just shot him an impatient look. How had he become the de facto leader of this group, anyway? Havok hadn’t been consulted. The plan didn’t seem all that well thought-out either; wait for someone to come out and hope Jean could read their mind enough to find out how to get in. And then saunter on in and hope they could handle whatever was down there.

And then someone did come out. A scraggly-looking young guard, who walked a few paces away from the entrance and then lit up a smoke. Havok looked to Jean.

“You ready?” he mouthed. She nodded, uncertainly…

Gotta go, more tomorrow…

RookieBatman 01/20/2010 13:37

Jean crept forward slowly, taking care to make sure each step was silent. She was directly behind the guard, so she didn’t have to worry about him catching her in his periphery. The only way he could be alerted was if he heard her.

She could sense his emotions; generally bored and listless, nothing out of the ordinary. As she moved closer, she could begin to hear the thoughts he was thinking in the moment, but she when she tried to probe deeper, she was unable. He wasn’t thinking about the security measures to get back inside the facility, and so she couldn’t read them psychically. With the dampening field, her power was much too weak.

She was right behind him now, so close she began to worry that he might feel her breathing on her. But still she was unable to break through to the deeper parts of his mind that she needed to access.

There was only one way. The intensity of the psychic probe increased with proximity, and there was no greater proximity than physical contact. She would only have a moment, since it would certainly alert him to her presence. So she took a deep but quiet breath, and tried to focus her whole mind on the security measures that would get them through that door.

She put her hand out, placing it on the top of his head, and cascade of thoughts and memories rushed through her. It only lasted a moment, though, as he lurched upward in momentary surprise. The next moment, he spun around, smacking her across the face with the stock of his automatic rifle. She reeled backward and fell to the ground. He pointed the rifle down at her, finger on the trigger, but in the blink of an eye, Havok was on him. He tackled him in fine linebacker form, knocking the gun away. The guard kicked Havok off of him, but Quicksilver, Sage, and Avalanche were right behind, and the four of them had the guard secured in short order.

Magneto emerged from his place of concealment proudly, looking down at another subdued weakling. Then he struck him, with both hands, fingers intertwined, a jarring blow to the head. The guard sagged in the grip of those restraining him, and Havok looked up in surprise at Magneto’s physical power.

“Maybe we should’ve done that first,” Havok realized.

“You didn’t tell me Ms. Gray’s power was so weak,” Magneto admonished.

“We didn’t know,” Havok retorted, “we hadn’t tried anything like that yet.”

“Whyever not?” Magneto asked.

Havok ignored the question and went to were Polaris was cradling Jean’s head in her lap. Her nose was bloody, but she was at least conscious.

“You okay?” Havok asked, crouching down to meet her at her level.

“I got it,” Jean said softly. In weak, halting tones, she explained where the security device for the trapdoor was. With her instructions, Havok entered the access code, swiped the guard’s keycard, and then pulled his eyelid open for the retinal scan.

The door opened. The less pretentious members of the raiding party breathed a collective sigh of relief. Magneto simply stood stone-faced and looked down the dark stairway, as if looking into the future.

“Can you make it back okay, Jean?” Havok asked.

“I think so,” she replied, pushing herself heavily to her feet.

“I’ll go with her,” Polaris offered.

Havok shook his head gloomily. “Sorry, Hon. We’ve only got nine now, as it is. We’re gonna need every warm body we’ve got.” Polaris looked down into the facility as Magneto and his group began the descent. She nodded. “No telling what’s gonna happen when we get down there...”

WakandaMan 01/20/2010 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieBatman (Post 4508028)
Since you get to go first, you can immediately base 1 and 3. You can put the Sabotage token on 2, and he only has a speed of 6, so even if he pushes, he can't get to the alarm on turn 1. So, it would be at least turn 4 before he (or anyone else, by my estimation) could set it off. I think it's probably not something you can delay inevitably, but that should at least give you a little head start.

That was my estimation as well. Turn 4 would be the earliest I believe, and it would require pushing (since it takes an action just to turn the alarm on). I almost wonder whether it might be better for a guard to just run through the map yelling out to his comrades rather than trying for the alarm (they can also activate them by moving into rooms).

WakandaMan 01/20/2010 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieBatman (Post 4508003)
I'd also like to say, on an unrelated subject, that I'm terribly anxious about this scenario. If I were the one playing it, I think my hair would be falling out (not that I take these games seriously or anything :cheeky:). Even without powers, some of Choons pieces still have really strong stats, but those guards could swarm them pretty quickly. But then, if they can release Juggy, he should probably be able to roll over most of the guards pretty quickly. But, oh boy, if they don't take out the nullifier field generator, I shudder to think what horrors our esteemed editor will visit upon us...

Which begs the question, is my team gonna be affected by the outcome of this one, or is that classified?

Well if they manage to free themselves it shouldn't affect your team at all, but if they don't....well it probably will then, won't it?

RookieBatman 01/21/2010 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by WakandaMan (Post 4510778)
That was my estimation as well. Turn 4 would be the earliest I believe, and it would require pushing (since it takes an action just to turn the alarm on). I almost wonder whether it might be better for a guard to just run through the map yelling out to his comrades rather than trying for the alarm (they can also activate them by moving into rooms).

I didn't do the math on how quick that would be, but I did see that too. I just didn't say it because I was hoping the villain wouldn't notice. ;)

RookieBatman 01/21/2010 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by WakandaMan (Post 4510782)
Well if they manage to free themselves it shouldn't affect your team at all, but if they don't....well it probably will then, won't it?

Oh, hey, on a totally unrelated note, :cheeky: I think I'd like to be the villain player for this one.

But seriously, I'm hoping you mean I'll get to bust in and free them, because I was always kinda hoping I'd be able to do that anyway.

choonhui 01/21/2010 13:24

sTILL Looking for a villian
 
ANYONE WILLING TO TRY & PREVENT ME FROM VREEING jUGGY,

qUEST ABOUT MAP.... THE THINK THAT LOOKS LIKE A POOL IN FRONT OF MY TEAM....
IS IT A POOL,


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:06.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.