They are all cool- P-38, B-17, F4U, Spitfire, B-25, in that order.
1. B-17 Flying Fortress - Toughest, Shoot the tail off and some still returned to base
2. P-38 Lightning - Forked Tail Devil. Once it showed up, it dominated
3. Submarine Spitfire- When Britain needed a hero, the Spit was there.
4. B-25 Mitchell- First "Lets go for a boatride, then takeoff, and bomb the other side of the world" plane.
5. F4U Corsair- Zeros were fast, F4U showed them really fast.
Real coolest? Do-335 Arrow. Of course I like all kinds of what-ifs, like Amalgam!
If you have to lie to people by giving your plane a totally false "F" prefix (because bombers, close air support, and transport planes aren't sexy enough for *real* pilots), then I question how cool it really is. Don't get me wrong - I've gotten as close to those things as any civilian possibly can (did the flightline tour at Holloman AFB back before the 117 retired) - they're neat up close. The fly-by-wire systems are impressive as heck (a plane that size and shape doesn't really fly all that well), and 117 drivers are a riot. But that fighter designation really sticks in my craw.